PDA

View Full Version : Feeling of heartburn

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 08:11 AM
Last night for the first time I practiced deep breathing using the Daoist (sp) method, where you contract the Dan Tien on inhalation and expand it on exhalation, which was REALLY weird. I didn't focus on circulating the energy, just wanted to practice the breathing technique. Anywho, this morning I woke up with what I guess would be heartburn, where I felt somewhat of a burning sensation down in my esophagus. When I drank coffee this morning it was even a little painful when I swallowed, as though it was an acidic type of burn.

Could this be related to what I did last night? If so, is there anything I can do to help the situation because I still have that acidic/burning type feeling a little bit.

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 10:20 AM
I actually didn't want to start with Daoist breathing because it was unfamiliar to me, but my book has you start out with that so I figured I'd follow the book since I don't know enough about it to really decide what to do first, second, etc.

My purpose in doing it wasn't necessarily for energy or relaxation, I just wanted to get started on it and that's the first exercise taught in the book. Once you're comfortable with the basics of doing the Daoist breathing, they want you to begin working on doing the Small Circulation (don't remember the exact term), which the book says takes approximately 90 days of three 30 minute meditations per day in order to perform properly.

Walter Joyce
06-21-2002, 11:10 AM
Actually what you describe is taoist reverse breathing. Taoists also use what someone described as "buddhist breathing," where the abdomen expands on inhalation and contracts on exhalation. The reverse breathing is done for different reasons, one of which is is develop the ability to project internal power.
I'd reccommend putting away the books and finding a teacher.
Good training,
Walter

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 12:06 PM
That's why I started out on this board in order to avoid having to go to a teacher, at least to get the basics and get started and something that would hold me over for awhile. I don't have the time or money to join a Qigong school right now, I'm already going to a Kung Fu school. I have a book, and I figured with some guidance on here in terms of techniques, etc. that I should be able to get started with the basics.

So, what's wrong with starting out with the Daoist breathing technique which teaches one to channel their energy? Is this an advanced technique or something that shouldn't be performed by beginners? The book recommends getting comfortable with both technics, the buddhists traditional expanding on inhalation and contracting on exhalation, and the Daoists reverse method.

Walter Joyce
06-21-2002, 12:14 PM
IMHO its just a good idea to have guidance in these things. While you may not agree, you don't have to, its not so much the particular techniques you mention, but rather the idea that any of this knowledge can be gleaned from a book.

Its your time, its your dime, spend either the way you see fit. If you want my advice, find a teacher.

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 12:18 PM
I don't disagree at all with you that finding a teacher is the BEST way to go, but given my circumstances right now it's not really do-able, and it is something I want to learn for the health benefits. And I figured some basic tehniques would not be terribly difficult to learn and I could get some guidance from you eggsperts to help along the way.