PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question on PNF Stretching

Sleemie
06-21-2002, 10:26 AM
Could someone briefly explain part of the PNF stretching technique that I'm not sure about. I read that you initially hold the stretch for 8-10 seconds in a passive stretch, then you tense the muscle for 8-10 seconds, then do the passive stretch for 8-10 seconds. The question is on the tensing part, exactly how should that be done. Is it the exact motion as making a muscle, or do you somehow put a different kind of pressure? Also, once you do the first passive stretch, how far do you back out of the stretch to do the tensing..do you just slightly back out, or completely back out and solely work on the tensing part.

Please don't refer me to a Kurz link, I've already read his stuff and still don't know the answer.

thanx..

Cyborg
06-21-2002, 04:43 PM
Tense it as if you would use it normally, you'll have to activate the antagonist muscles or have some way to stay in the same place. Try to stay there or slightly back off.

Perhaps someone else has more experience with this and can tell you better.

IronFist
06-21-2002, 10:38 PM
If I had to take a guess, I would say you stretch to the right position, then flex in that position isometrically, and then stretch further.

But I'm guessing. I don't know PNF stretching by that name, so I dunno...

IronFist

wooha
06-22-2002, 12:43 AM
You shouldn't be backing off in order to apply the isometric tension - you actually have to be tensing the muscle in the stretched position. Make sure not to push the initial static stretch too far at first, just go as far as it takes to feel a bit of a stretch. You're not actually trying to increase your Range Of Motion (ROM) at this stage of the stretch.

Tense the muscle by pushing the limb against whatever external restistance is holding you in the stretch. So if you're in the splits for example, try to 'squeeze' the floor with your legs. Make sure not to apply high tension too suddenly, build it up over a few seconds.

The stretch you describe isn't a PNF stretch unless you're in some way increasing the ROM immediately after the isometric contraction. Is this something you've taken into account?

As always.. be careful with this stuff. Go really easy at first until you get used to how your body reacts to this stuff.

Ironfist, Most of Pavel's contract-relax stretches are actually PNF stretches.

IronFist
06-22-2002, 12:02 PM
wooha, that's what I figured. Thanks :)

IronFist

prana
06-27-2002, 05:50 PM
vague memories of Sports science 101

Have partner hold a stretch passively for 15-20 seconds. Have partner push against your stretched muscle whilst you resist against it, being careful to keep it isometric, and hold it for about 15 seconds.

You should find a trustworthy partner that knows how to adjust his force with your muscles at that limit.

As you relax, breathe out and relax and have partner stretch your muscles slightly more until "strecth pain" (NOT SHARP PAIN) is felt and hold for further 15-20 seconds.

Then relax slowly off the stretch and massage.

Should not be done more than twice a week on the same muscle group and muscle should be warmed up before doing so.

Errr umm yea there ya go.