PDA

View Full Version : How strong is your front kick??

fa_jing
06-21-2002, 12:52 PM
In most CMA I think the front kick is emphasized. Please
answer the following question: "My front kick is so strong that...."

I'll go first:

....That I can finally knock back a resisting 5' 9" 240+ pound guy holding an airshield in a front stance...

dragontounge2
06-21-2002, 12:58 PM
I can knock down a 300 pound wave master.

Water Dragon
06-21-2002, 01:00 PM
I can knock myself backward.

Seriously, I don't use this kick. Why would I? I want you close to me, not far away. I do have a decent front knee though.

fa_jing
06-21-2002, 01:05 PM
WD - true, for your system it's probably not a good idea.

Former castleva
06-21-2002, 01:43 PM
Front kick is a classic kick,one of the good old basic kicks,one that will remain,I hope.I donīt know how good mae-geri is for taking opponent of balance,as it is said to be good for that,but there are many reasons to use it.Of course,any style canīt buy it as previously noticed.

Less seriously then;)

My front kick is so strong I have gone around boasting how strong it is that I was actually asked by top martial artistīs (including karatekaīs) to show them but I refused because itīs far too strong and dangerous.

;)

Tigerstyle
06-21-2002, 01:51 PM
I can kick through time. Every time I throw a front kick, my foot becomes approx. one second younger than the rest of my body.

I have been disqualified from point sparring tournaments because the wind generated by my front kicks has struck my opponent like a physical force (which itself is the equivalent of a good, solid front kick from a competent karateka).

fa_jing
06-21-2002, 01:57 PM
Okay, now we're getting the answers I'm looking for....

Tigerstyle
06-21-2002, 02:16 PM
To be slightly more serious :) , the front kick is my favorite kick to use. When all else fails and my mind goes blank, I can always count on being able to throw a good, solid front kick.

fa_jing
06-21-2002, 02:19 PM
Serious or humerous, don't matter.

Incidentally, my front kick is so fast and powerful, every time I kick my shoe flies off and slaps you upside the head. If you make the mistake of opening your eyes after this, you will be sure to be hit by flying toejam.

Black Jack
06-21-2002, 03:19 PM
I don't use this kick anymore either, I feel way to exposed with this kick, I used to like it but now it be the way of the dodo bird.

It's a good kick to practice on trees though.

rubthebuddha
06-21-2002, 06:49 PM
strong enough to break a knee or some nuts when i need it, but i rarely use it unless i have control of someone's arms.

knees are nice, too, but i'd rather use my legs to get me in close and disrupt their base to set up for some elbows and fak saus.

Aramus
06-21-2002, 08:09 PM
My front kick is so fast, the thought of it can knock opponents out.

My front kick is so fast, yo mama...

Liokault
06-22-2002, 08:24 AM
I think that most guys front kicks are much weaker than they realise.

In tornements I find front kicks very easy to get spectacular counters on (circle the arm under the knee with a side step then lift your arm drops them right on their heads with very little effort)and when they do hit they tend to have very little power in then.

Went to a san shou tornement last weekend and fought this really strong guy. He actuly knocked me down (first time i was ever knocked down) with a hook kick combo to my head but his front kicks were pathetic. I think 2 got though and they didnt even nearly have power.

yu shan
06-22-2002, 08:59 PM
Wouldn`t use it, we will smack you with other stuff, why a front kick? Mantis sweeps and follows up. Mantis 101...l

SevenStar
06-22-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Liokault
I think that most guys front kicks are much weaker than they realise.

In tornements I find front kicks very easy to get spectacular counters on (circle the arm under the knee with a side step then lift your arm drops them right on their heads with very little effort)and when they do hit they tend to have very little power in then.

Went to a san shou tornement last weekend and fought this really strong guy. He actuly knocked me down (first time i was ever knocked down) with a hook kick combo to my head but his front kicks were pathetic. I think 2 got though and they didnt even nearly have power.

Yeah, I've had the same experience. I think it's more of a timing issue than anything else. If you aren't close enough, then you catch only part of the snap/thrust (depending on the type of front kick) and most of the power of the kick is wasted.

neito
06-22-2002, 09:20 PM
what kind of front kick do you mean, with the whole foot, heal, ball? i only use front stomp-kick to the leg

Gabriel
06-24-2002, 04:26 AM
my front kick is so powerful, that i can stir mighty tornadoes with it.

My front kick is so swift that its known as white dragons shadowless kick.

My front kick is so terrifying that my cat runs away whenever I execute it.

Don't even ask me about my jump kicks :)

Former castleva
06-24-2002, 05:10 AM
neito,
classic front kick (mae-geri) is done with ball of foot.

Chang Style Novice
06-24-2002, 07:24 AM
My front kick is so powerful it's much too dangerous for me to use it.

I can't count the times I've been trying to pull my foot out of some guys chest cavity, and his buddies catch up to me and start beating my ass down! It's really inconvenient.

For real, my kicks are pretty lame, even more so than the rest of my game. I'd rather use my feet to step in close and stop my opponent's mobility, or use my legs to push up what my hands have grabbed (ie: root then throw.)

fa_jing
06-24-2002, 10:04 AM
Well, we specialize in the front kick, I have no trouble applying it, in fact I find it quite versatile - ball of foot, whole foot, or heel. Actually we have 3 basic kicks, (8 total), but of those 3, front kick receives the most emphasis. My tactics don't always include the use of a kick, but that front kick is always there, I agree
with Tigerstyle.

-FJ

norther practitioner
06-24-2002, 12:01 PM
My front kick is so **** strong I can't show the technique. It is too deadly, thats why I don't spar.

Really, the front kick is used a lot in all the systems I have studied. I like using it for spacing and in combos.

Budokan
06-24-2002, 12:18 PM
Have you ever flown over the Himalayas? That was me, kicking up a little dust once and I got too rough and kicked the Earth's mantle up into a mountain range.

I can kick the air and wind very hard. News wire says we'll have more than our share of hurricanes this season. Guess I'll be to blame as I practice my kata and kick the air very hard, cycloning the atmosphere into a destructive hurricane that will level cities and make women weep.

I've kicked dogs and little children, too. But we won't go into that right now...

Behold my front kick. Quail at its mighty power. Tremble at my mighty thews that enable me to snap my foot at supersonic speeds thereby shattering plate glass windows and make old men scream in pain as their hearing aids explode due to massive feedback.

Bow, one and all, to Budokan.

fa_jing
06-24-2002, 12:27 PM
LOL @ Budokan :D

Tigerstyle
06-24-2002, 02:23 PM
"Guess I'll be to blame as I practice my kata and kick the air very hard, cycloning the atmosphere into a destructive hurricane that will level cities and make women weep."

LOL @ Budokan.

The only woman that weeps at my front kick is my mom, after she sees how bad my technique is and thinks about how much of my life I have wasted to progress so little. :o

Mr Punch
06-24-2002, 11:04 PM
LOL at Budokan, and Chang-style, and... my kicking.:(

Actually my front kick is getting much better but I still have a tendency to push with the left.

BLATANT TROLL: Renzo Gracie's front kick is completely gay! And his JJ sucks too! (Anyone see Pride 21? Lacklustre to say the least; crap to say more. Gracie sucked.)

fa_jing
06-25-2002, 01:35 PM
I saw a tape of the Royce Gracie vs. Ken Shamrock "superfight" from several years back it was the first UFC that Dan Severn won...- Royce was throwing the limpest, most worthless side kick I've ever seen. I don't know why Shamrock didn't just bend down and bite Royce's toes off. Oh wait, biting illegal in the UFC, right? That would be my "street" counter, anyway. :D

rubthebuddha
06-26-2002, 01:17 AM
my front kick is so fast, i shave with it.

my front kick is so fast, i can part more water than moses on angel dust.

my front kick is so fast, i had to take three buses just to catch up.

my front kick is so fast that i think i just pulled a nut.

my front kick is out of commission for a while. :o

Souljah
06-26-2002, 02:37 AM
its not about power if you lose your balance when performing it, however the kick is the easiest you could learn, its quite telegraphic and can be easily evaded by any1 with a reasonable reaction

tnwingtsun
06-26-2002, 03:09 AM
LOL@ most

"I think it's more of a timing issue than anything else."

Kados to Seven Star.

To me its not a kick,its just walking,the target just happens to get in the way at my steps right angle with the right spice.