PDA

View Full Version : hung gar and health

brucelee2
06-21-2001, 11:08 PM
Hi,

I am 31 and am considering starting training in hung gar. I wonder if I am 'old' to begin this art- from my limited understanding of the art, it seems to use alot of strength. Also, is it considered to be damaging or healing to the body? Is it an art that can be practiced through old are or more of an art for 'younger' folks?

thanks,
gary

Fu-Pow
06-22-2001, 12:51 AM
Man you ask a lot Hung Ga questions. From what I understand, Lam Jo, one of the grandmasters of the Lam Sai Wing branch of Hung Gar is around 90 years old. From what I understand he practiced is Hung Ga vigorously up through his 80's. That gives you only 50 years to master the style...I bet if you trained hard you could do it in 5-10 years. Any type of rigorous physical activity is good for you. Especially in our lazy Western society. We rarely suffer from "overexcercise".

Fu-Pow
http://makskungfu.com/images/R7star.gif
"If you are talking about sport that is one thing. But when you are talking about combat-as it is-well then, baby, you'd better train every part of your body" - Bruce Lee

illusionfist
06-22-2001, 02:26 AM
I think you'll be alright. Most of our elders lived well into old age. Chiu Kau was 100, etc... They practiced Iron Wire at least once everyday and many of the elders attribute their health to this.

Peace :D

iron_silk
06-22-2001, 09:48 AM
Although I agree that you may still be able to practice such rigorous kung fu when you are 31, it still really depends on the individuals...and further I do believe a life time of kung fu could help you stay strong into your advanced years yet those masters mentioned...didn't they started practice when they were young?

Well this is just a thought...good luck with your studying!

Paul Skrypichayko
06-22-2001, 10:23 AM
Chiu Kao started training around age 38, and like the others said, lived to be over 100 years old. One of his sons is 70 or 71, built like a tank, and very healthy too.

WongFeHung
06-25-2001, 05:00 AM
they say that martial artists don't reach their peak until 56, so you are still a kid. Actually, you are still young. I am 44 this July and I am in better shape than I have been in years. At thirty, you are barely out of adolescence. Don't EVER let yourself get brainwashed into thinking that at thirty, you become this middle-aged, boring, fuddy-duddy and have to stop living your life slower, and stop having fun. I ride a harley chopper, go to mad parties,howl at the moon, train like hell,still play my electric guitar with the amp cranked at eleven, still go to Van Halen concerts,and have a great time playing, laughing, and generally raising hell. Gung-Fu keeps you young. There is always something new to learn, another goal to set, another toy to get (kwan-daos,double broadswords, butterfly knives, kewl!)This is what prevents aging. Stay a child, live, learn, laugh, and play as a child in the sun,everyday.

brucelee2
06-26-2001, 02:48 AM
Thanks for your responses. Ten Tigers- what I meant by my question is- I have previously been practicing an internal martial art (bagua- famous for its health benefits, among other things). My experience with 'external' arts, such as hung gar, is limited. From the reading I have done, some say the external arts (ex; muay thai) can be/are damaging to the body, and are often not practiced at/through old age (as opposed to internal martial arts). So anyway, this is the distinction I'm trying to clarify. I agree that you are only as old as you feel. To paraphrase Wang Shu Jin "Age doesn't matter. I am older than you but I can eat more, have more sex, and outfight you. CHI matters"

gary

South Paw
06-26-2001, 07:46 AM
Hello Paul,

Chiu Kao started training much earlier, and his wife Shiu Ying who was also an expert in Hung Gar is still alive today. I don't know her exact age but she must almost be a 100 years.

South Paw

hasayfu
06-27-2001, 02:54 AM
OK, most people would define it as external but real Traditional Chinese Martial Arts should not be purely external.

Also, anyone who tells you that learning an "internal" style isn't "hard work" isn't teaching the whole thing.

It comes down to your teacher. Hung gar should not be taught in a way that is detrimental to your body. Even at full speed and power, you should have proper body alignment and control.

FWIW, I started learning Hung Gar at 30.

vewong
07-01-2001, 09:15 PM
Brucelee2,

At age 31, you're considering yourself old? Come on, you're still young. Go start your training!

FuHok Fighter
07-02-2001, 07:40 PM
Hung Gar is both external and internal (hard & soft).

I began my training in hard styles and when the time came in my Hung Gar training to blend the hard and the soft, I found it difficult to "relax" my external strength and let the soft flow and become one with the hard.

Since you started with the soft, I think you will find it easier to blend the two. Once you have blended the two, your techniques will be even more devastating than before.

Train Hard! Fight Hard!

whippinghand
10-18-2001, 06:08 PM
Hung Gar is an internal & external art.

Train hard. Fight wise.

WongFeHung
10-18-2001, 11:07 PM
Real Hung-Ga is internal, bad Hung-Ga is external, get it?

fgxpanzerz
10-18-2001, 11:12 PM
Dont let this stop u from studying it though.

iron thread
10-20-2001, 03:33 AM
TenTigers, ALL Hung Gar training starts from the external.

denali
10-20-2001, 09:09 AM
Yeah, but good Hung Gar starts with internal.

:)

illusionfist
10-20-2001, 10:16 AM
You can't have one without the other (for the umpteenth billion time)

Peace :D