PDA

View Full Version : WC tourney question : rule : no open hand hits

TzuChan
06-23-2002, 05:46 AM
uh .. that's one of the rules, don't do any open hand hits, why is that ? It's a tourney given in the Netherlands, by the NWTO, are they more dangerous ? Wtf ? I thought open hands was less painfull then a punch :/

TjD
06-23-2002, 05:50 AM
personally i favor palm strikes, for the reason that i can get a lot more power behind them and not have to worry about breaking my hand :)

imho palms are a lot more powerful than fists

peace
travis

TzuChan
06-23-2002, 05:53 AM
wow didn't realise that ..
if I do an open hand hit on my other hand, and then a fist, dude .. fist is more painfull ? :) But I agree with the counter-pain part, no pain for you like when you hit with a fist :)

TzuChan
06-23-2002, 05:55 AM
hmm, asked my brother I could hit him, he said the fist hurt, but only for a while, while the push really hurt hurt ? Wtf ?

TzuChan
06-23-2002, 05:56 AM
push = open palm sorry

jesper
06-23-2002, 11:18 AM
It takes longer to learn to strike properly with open hands, but when you get it right its very devastating.

Grendel
06-23-2002, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by jesper
It takes longer to learn to strike properly with open hands, but when you get it right its very devastating.

I agree. The fist hurts, but palm delivered energy can kill with the proper application.

What I don't understand though is why a tournament would not allow palm strikes in favor of punches. Most of us in Wing Chun who would be participating in a tournament don't have the "shocking" power development to really do harm, but a fist
can break a nose or blacken an eye easily if not used with great control. It is easier to exercise control with a palm strike, methinks.

anerlich
06-23-2002, 05:41 PM
Every WC school ( and most others) I've been to spars or chi saos with palm strikes. I aint seen a fatality yet.

I still have a post-grading photo of myself where my Sifu hit me on the side of the chest with a palm so precisely that it bruised in a palm shape with three fingers clearly visible. No other ill effects, though I also had two black eyes from punches.

It may be that open palms lead to fingers and thumbs getting injured, or ending up in people's eyes, nostrils, mouths, etc. But the "palm too dangerous" thing seems like rubbish.