PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever box?

Nutt'nhunny
10-01-2001, 02:16 AM
How did it affect your kung fu?

MonkeySlap Too
10-01-2001, 02:25 AM
It 'broke my back'. It introduced bobbing asnd weaving skills to my fighting - true this contradicts a lot of CMA power ggeneration ideas - it still proved worthwhile.

Fun sport. Most boxers train harder and smarter than most MA types. It shouldn't be confused with a martial art - although it has evolved in the MMA world into a martial art.

Did any of that make sense?

I am a big beleiver in luck. The more I work, the more luck I have.

Mr. Nemo
10-01-2001, 02:40 AM
I boxed the summer before I went to college. I can't say how it affected my kung fu, because I hadn't started kung fu yet.

I don't understand how bobbing and weaving contradicts kung fu power issuing? Some people bend too far forward at the waist when they weave, but you're actually taught not to do that (though people get away with it - Igor Vovchanchin).

The way I see it, there are "basic" skills and "style specific" skills. Basic skills are things like being used to having punches thrown at you, keeping your hands up, moving immediately after a failed technique (boxing-style basic skills) or sprawling instinctively, keeping your legs under you whenever possible, relaxing when someone is trying to throw you or take you down (wrestling-style basic skills).

Boxing won't really help your kung fu (which I consider a "style specific" set of skills) but it will help your fighting basics.

Plus, boxing's lots of fun.

straight blast
10-01-2001, 02:42 AM
I study Wing Chun but used to study Muay Thai, and I did a bit of boxing on the side as well. To be honest, boxing is EXCELLENT. It teaches range, power, body mechanics, and most importantly how to take a punch. I trained several years in different MA's and never got hit. On my first night at boxing I discovered just how unpleasant a good hook to the jaw is. I soon lost the "you'll be too good to be hit" mentality.
In a fight chances are you'll get hit. If you've never taken one, haven't felt the sick sensation in your gut & pushed through it, then you are sadly unprepared for the street. Boxing is really good for learning the basic realities of striking, but I had to give it away after a while to concentrate on Wing Chun. My advice-do six months of boxing & see how it changes your attitudes to fighting

"Through strength, learn gentleness. Through gentleness, strength will prevail"

fiercest tiger
10-01-2001, 02:57 AM
it was good, it teaches speed and timing like martial arts, but boxing i think is a basic martial art, only hand though!

fitness is the key in the ring

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Martial Joe
10-01-2001, 03:19 AM
I moved from boxing to wing chun...

http://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif IXIJoe KaveyIXIhttp://www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/lolup.gif
I am Sharky's main man...

DrunkenMonkey
10-01-2001, 03:42 AM
Boxing is a Martial Art by definition, no matter how simple or crude.

It teaches you how to take a hit. Right now in your training when you get punched in the face, you probably are phased and stand back for a bit and shake your head. In Boxing when you get hit with 10 ounch gloves the only reason why your head bobs is because of the impact.

Its great, better be ready for some hard-core conditioning even if you're just doing for fun.

"****ed be the day that befalls us in a most hostile manner that shall compromise our Country, and ****ed be the great lengths at which are required of to stir our Patriotism." - Anonymous

Mr. Nemo
10-01-2001, 04:06 AM
Boxing teaches you how to get hit, yeah, but that's not all it teaches you.

Not that that's what's being said here, it just seems thats what the posts are concentrating on.

The most valuable thing I think I learned from boxing is the constant movement (of both head and body/feet) and the whole idea of "stick and move." It'll also help with your ability to spot openings in your opponents' defense.

Grappling-Insanity
10-01-2001, 06:09 AM
Boxing is very good, very very good :p .

kwokfist
10-01-2001, 06:44 AM
also following through, with me at least. In my regular MA training before I got into Boxing, I always had a habit of block/counter, block/counter, evade, punch, evade punch etc. Now I'm doing Block/counter/attack, attack, attack as much as I can. Follow through, have no mercy in full contact unless you're fighting an under-belt and as long as you don't do any damage that will take more than 2 weeks to heal. (muscle punching, bruised jaw, loose tooth etc.)

Tainan Mantis
10-01-2001, 09:07 AM
I boxed. The biggest lesson I learned is that the fight doesn't stop just because you land a successful strike.

For you other folks who have boxed I have a question.
Did you wear head gear?

We didn't, but I think that you should as the constant getting hit in the head feels like it is messing up the brain.

fiercest tiger
10-01-2001, 09:19 AM
i didnt wear head gear, but i heard that head gear causes more damamge because it cushions the external blow but pentrates to the brain! anyone with information like this?

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

popsider
10-01-2001, 12:27 PM
I think the argument is that brain damage is caused by the head being snapped backwards by a punch, headgear - and gloves - does not really prevent this. What they do is prevent the external tissues and bone getting damaged. There is even an argument that headgear makes the head a bigger target and so more liable to get hit.

I know that ex-boxer Barry McGuigan argues bare knuckle boxing would reduce the risk of long term brain injury substantially - but boxers faces and hands would be so badly damaged it is a non-starter.

Tips would be stay hydrated, dehydration means the brain has more room to rattle about in the skull (yes I think that is the correct medical terminology). The other one would be try not to get hit in the head too often! Studies have shown that professional soccer players can also suffer brain damage from heading the ball - we are talking about the onset of serious dementia in old age - not just a bit of forgetfullness - so consider it carefully before you decide to box (or play soccer I suppose).

popsider
10-01-2001, 12:35 PM
Oh and I thought I'd add - I don't think there is much of an argument for people to add boxing to their kung fu IF their kung fu has realistic training.

In other words I fully except boxing is great for getting you used to getting hit, hitting, looking for openings etc - BUT if your aim is to be good at kung fu you can do all these things but still be applying kung fu rather than learning to box.
There is an argument for full contact sparring and fighting but that does not have to mean boxing - although boxing may be the only place to get it in your neighbourhood.

I fully accept that many kung fu (and jiu jitsu, etc etc) clubs do not do this - but then again not everyone wants to take their practice to that level - people have different goals in practicing martial arts.

dedalus
10-01-2001, 02:19 PM
I'd be more worried about streetfighting with a good boxer than almost any other "stylist" I can think of...

shaolinboxer
10-01-2001, 03:32 PM
It is simply an art of striking with the fist and defending the upper body.

Boxers have many different styles of striking, evading, timing, etc.

Learning to hit with the fist from any angle and to take or evade hard shots improved my martial arts significantly. Training with the heavy bag, speed bag, double string bag, jump rope...all very useful.

Also, when you have no choice but to punch and you are absorbing shots to the head and body and arms, you can become extremely exhuasted if you don't breathe and relax properly.

IMHO, all martial artists should study boxing at one time or another.

"She ain't got no muscles in her teeth."
- Cat

Water Dragon
10-01-2001, 03:45 PM
Boxing is good stuff, real good stuff. The only observation I would make is don't fight a boxer under boxing rules and try to gauge your skill level from that. There's a lot of stuff that can be done from a clinch that is illegal in boxing.

You may take my life, but you will never take my Freedom

Mr. Nemo
10-01-2001, 05:48 PM
Man, lots of people here didn't wear headgear. Were you all pros or something? ****.

Everything I've ever heard on the subject says that headgear will help prevent brain damage. One problem with it is that it may make you more willing to get hit (thinking its not so bad cause you have the gear on). And yes, the gear does make you head a bigger target (making you move it more, which is a good thing).

As for the "headgear causes the blow to go straight into the brain" thing, I've never heard anything like that. Who told you that? If that's true, thousands of amateur boxing clubs and coaches all across the country are doing things very wrong.

The other thing is, gear or not, make sure you learn defense pretty cold before you start sparring live.

Shaolindynasty
10-01-2001, 06:09 PM
Actually I prefer the feeling of getting hit with a bare fist to getting hit with gloves and headgear. Getting punched with gloves and stuff gives me a headache and makes me feel sick but bare hands just sting and cause a little swelling. The less protection the better I can move, defend and attack(not to mention see). Maybe I am stupid(I prefer unique)but anyway getting hit with gloves has a completely different feel than getting hit with bare hands.

New classes New online Catalog
www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net (http://www.shaolindynasty.cjb.net)

MIKSANSOO
10-01-2001, 07:04 PM
boxing has many great lessons that can help your fighting. the conditioning is great, sparring and getting pounded on is good because if you can't go no where but down if can't handle it. helps with your stiking speed (hands of course), timing and the list goes on for a while.

"you can take my life, but not my confidence"
Jimmy H. Woo

Kung Lek
10-01-2001, 08:30 PM
yep and no, it didn't "affect" my Kung Fu. :D

However, my Kung fu certainly affected my boxing ;)

peace

Kung Lek

GunnedDownAtrocity
10-01-2001, 08:30 PM
we focus on boxing punches at my school for a good while when you first start out. my teacher is very traditional but at the same time won't ignore such powerful strikes.

we even had a seperate boxing class for a little while before i started going. i guess not enough people showed up and it was just one of those things that fade away.

where's my beer?

dedalus
10-02-2001, 01:54 AM
It's interesting how boxing has evolved this gloves and headgear thing... you might think these items are designed to keep you safe, but quite the opposite is true. Epidemiologic studies have shown a much hgher incidence of degenerative brain injury in boxers who use padding compared to their bare-knuckle buddies. Apparently you're better of having your face and hands split open than absorbing the shock of a gloved punch over and over and over...

The truth about boxing gloves is that they make fights last *longer*. That might be desirable if you're a promoter or need to do some contact training, but don't kid yourself that its safe.

That said, I think boxing is great. Too bad that policy won't come to meet the science.

Mr. Nemo
10-02-2001, 02:26 AM
"Epidemiologic studies have shown a much hgher incidence of degenerative brain injury in boxers who use padding compared to their bare-knuckle buddies."

What studies are these?

I agree that gloves make fights go longer, and make people more eager to punch and less worried about breaking hands. However, I've never seen anything indicating that headgear causes brain damage.

dedalus
10-02-2001, 06:31 AM
I'll dig out the references for you over the next few days :)

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 06:42 AM
"As for the "headgear causes the blow to go straight into the brain" thing, I've never heard anything like that. Who told you that? If that's true, thousands of amateur boxing clubs and coaches all across the country are doing things very wrong."

I had a thread a few months back about the damage that can be done by gloves. If I remember right, some people had some pretty good info there. Do a search for it.

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

SevenStar
10-02-2001, 06:45 AM
here it is:

http://forum.kungfuonline.com/1/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=126197291&f=340190991&m=7741965842

"You ain't got enough calcium to have a bone to pick wit me,
like a Gracie, I'll choke a ***** out wit his own gi" - Rass Kass

Mr. Nemo
10-02-2001, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the archived thread. (See, admins, archived threads ARE useful if you're reading this).

Most people on there were talking about the brain damage problem that comes from wearing gloves. No argument there - gloves make people more willing to get hit, more willing to hit, and the hits to do more of a certain kind of damage.

I remember reading a Cus D'Amato quote. He said that training with headgear just makes people willing to get hit. Train without, and they'll be more conscious of defense, and clinch/move more and get hit less.

Just bring the right attitude - "getting hit is very bad" - and wearing headgear should protect you, not hurt you. At least, that's my opinion.

scotty1
10-02-2001, 03:16 PM
My dad used to box, so I asked him if he could teach me to help my Kung Fu.We've only done half an hour and I now have a better jab (power,speed) than I had before. The way I see it is, in class, my Sifu has to teach the whole range of the art. By learning to box, it improves your punching SPECIFICALLY, like if you did Taekwondo it would improve your footwork specifically. All it comes down to is, TKD and boxing rely on the feet and hands respectively, so therefore they improve your skills in those areas by specific training, which can then be absorbed/modified into your Kung Fu. But hey, who's got the time?

nightair
10-03-2001, 06:10 PM
it helped me be able to street use my kung fu.It teaches good timing and god stamina and mental stuff