PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between hi and low Gan sao, and Gwat sao?

IronFist
06-23-2002, 03:57 PM
On this Leung Ting tape I have it presents them as different techniques, but I can't see a difference.

What am I missing? What's the difference between a high and low gan sao (or "scissors gan sao" as they call it) and a gwat sao?

Thanks,

IronFist

dragontounge2
06-23-2002, 06:27 PM
didnt you answer your own question?:confused:

pvwingchun
06-23-2002, 06:55 PM
That double or scissor gan sao is there to define your upper and lower gate, you would never use that you are just doing them both at the same time. Further into the form there is a gwat sao (I have not seen tape am speaking from how we use the form and not knowing your experience with wc) and gan sao, this gan sao is in the last third with the sensitivity (wiping) portion right before the last 3 punches. Gwat sao is more of a wiping movement somewhat to the side but it goes out no further than your leg, where gan sao is more of a straight forward cutting movement. Gan sao comes steraight out on your centerline but downward.

Hope this helps I am not sure if it is clear.

mun hung
06-23-2002, 11:21 PM
ironfist - I believe you are referring to one hand high and one hand low (scissors gong sau)?

Gwat in chinese means scrape.

The gwat sau (upper arm) supinates from elbow up to the hand causing a scraping motion. Usually used together with the low gong while turning or moving the horse. Very effective on a straight punch.

Have you found an instructor yet???