PDA

View Full Version : Xingyiquan

Piquan Li
06-23-2002, 05:22 PM
During my first year of wing chun I learned the sil lum tao first form, many elements of movement, and dozens of techniques. In my first year of xingyiquan I was taught four punches and how to stand still. There was no rush, quality vs. quantity.

Good xingyiquan, like taijiquan, is hard to find. I feel it's well worth the effort required to use it.

The Willow Sword
06-26-2002, 03:39 PM
xingyi chaun can be called the "simple art" at times. it is very direct and to the point. not alot of fancy mess to waste energy and time. straight line to the source of the matter, and the source being the desired effect, which is defeat. no more and no less when you really look at it. 5 simple fists then linked together and 12 simple animal steps to break the monotony. as time goes by you walk the circle and go to pakua, this is more complex,,but vital to the process of xingyi, then and finally the grand ultimate chuan,,as in taichi chuan learning to cultivate and be subtle quiet and still like the mantis. there is always a calm before the storm.
Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

Wu-Xing
06-26-2002, 04:20 PM
TWS. what the hell kind of crack are you smokin?i dont even know where to begin ripping that poor excuse for a post of yours apart.save us all time loading pages and quit posting . If piquan li wanted the opinion of an @sshole, he would have f@rted.

Xebsball
06-26-2002, 06:37 PM
I dont mean to be mean, but TWS, thats just incorrect information.

You see Wu-xing thats how you should have said it
:D

Brad
06-26-2002, 07:11 PM
Xingyi is cool :D
Check out this site: http://www.thewushucentre.com/ :-P

Wu-Xing
06-27-2002, 01:21 AM
hehe, yeah, what xeb said ;)

blkbelt65
06-27-2002, 06:35 AM
You are a complete idiot. Do you really believe what you type? If so, stop typing! You have no idea what the H3LL you're talking about.

Piquan Li
06-27-2002, 07:51 PM
I had been curious about xingyiquan for years but I hadn't a teacher.

Then one day my taijiquan teacher said let me show you something. He struck me with piquan and I was hooked.

I walked piquan for just over two months before I learned another fist. While in Wing Chun we practiced something new about every night.

Anyone else adjusted from external to internal practice? I read a lot here in the forums about taijiquan students turning to Wing Chun, but what about the other way around?

dezhen2001
06-28-2002, 03:30 AM
I don't know about turning form one system to the other. But my Sifu teaches us Wing Chun and Chen Taijiquan, not at the same time of course (unless we have a good foundation in 1 system first). I would say the main thing is to find a good Sifu who can impart their knoweledge on to you, doesn't matter if it's internal or external as each art should be balanced.

Quality vs. Quantity. I'm sure it's just as much a problem in WC as it is in Taijiquan or whatever :)

david

PaulLin
07-01-2002, 05:14 PM
Originally posted by The Willow Sword
xingyi chaun can be called the "simple art" at times. it is very direct and to the point. not alot of fancy mess to waste energy and time. straight line to the source of the matter, and the source being the desired effect, which is defeat. no more and no less when you really look at it. 5 simple fists then linked together and 12 simple animal steps to break the monotony. as time goes by you walk the circle and go to pakua, this is more complex,,but vital to the process of xingyi, then and finally the grand ultimate chuan,,as in taichi chuan learning to cultivate and be subtle quiet and still like the mantis. there is always a calm before the storm.
Many Respects,,The Willow Sword

With my 17 years of XingYi, BaGua, and Yang style Taichi, I can't see any thing that bad in this statement, what is wrong?

Kumkuat
07-01-2002, 06:00 PM
Originally posted by PaulLin

With my 17 years of XingYi, BaGua, and Yang style Taichi, I can't see any thing that bad in this statement, what is wrong?

Maybe because he implied some sort of 'graduation' from xingyi to bagua to taiji.

PaulLin
07-01-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by Kumkuat

Maybe because he implied some sort of 'graduation' from xingyi to bagua to taiji.

I wouldn't say that "graduation" should sound. But there is a interesting pattern form XingYi to BaGua. In the period of early 1900s, I can only find famous masters who has previously trained in XingYi then trained in BaGua. But there is none trained in BaGua first then train XingYi later.

Again, I think that is what fits a person as individual. Maybe in TWS's case that this order of training fits him better. I think he should just make sure that he didn't attempt to superiorized Taichi over BaGua and BaGua over XingYi (or did he?). Not that much of a big deal. Peace:)

Wu-Xing
07-02-2002, 01:10 AM
you know, i learned along time ago that if someone wants the truth , you show them the door and let them go in themselves. you dont push them or help them through.so heres whats wrong and whats right paullin.

"xingyi chaun can be called the "simple art" at times" .wrong

"it is very direct and to the point. not alot of fancy mess to waste energy and time".right

"straight line to the source of the matter".wrong

"no more and no less when you really look at it. 5 simple fists then linked together and 12 simple animal steps to break the monotony."wrong

"as time goes by you walk the circle and go to pakua".wrong

"this is more complex" right

"then and finally the grand ultimate chuan,,as in taichi chuan learning to cultivate and be subtle quiet and still like the mantis" wrong

I dont think im a super authority on xing yi , i also know im not an electrician, but if you tell me pouring water on my tv is good for it, guess what my answer will be...

PaulLin
07-02-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by Wu-Xing
you know, i learned along time ago that if someone wants the truth , you show them the door and let them go in themselves. you dont push them or help them through.so heres whats wrong and whats right paullin.

"xingyi chaun can be called the "simple art" at times" .wrong

{I can see why you say it is wrong. Out side you may find XingYi is more simple than most other styles, but inside is not. And as a internal artist, one should talk based on the inside, not the outside appearences. He should explain it more rather than leave it like this.}

"it is very direct and to the point. not alot of fancy mess to waste energy and time".right

"straight line to the source of the matter".wrong

{are you thinking of the arcs of hands in moves and feets in steps, or are you thinking of the screwing power? I am thinking of the 3 points 1 line form this statement.}

"no more and no less when you really look at it. 5 simple fists then linked together and 12 simple animal steps to break the monotony."wrong

{that is the wrong way to name and define the 5 element forms and the 12 animal forms. I agree. But they do link together.}

"as time goes by you walk the circle and go to pakua".wrong

{If that means true for all people, I wouldn't agree. But if that is personal case to share, I do agree. In fact, I found that order fits me too.}

"this is more complex" right

"then and finally the grand ultimate chuan,,as in taichi chuan learning to cultivate and be subtle quiet and still like the mantis" wrong

{same as above}

I dont think im a super authority on xing yi , i also know im not an electrician, but if you tell me pouring water on my tv is good for it, guess what my answer will be...

Don't have to be too humble, you are very perfessional in XingYi, I can see that.:)

Wu-Xing
07-02-2002, 02:11 PM
Paullin, why is it that you agree with most of what i have said and then throw that little comment in at the end? the reason i posted on this thread was so that piquan li (no ofeence but i dont know how new or old you are to xingyi)wouldnt be fed a load of cr@p from TWS about xingyi. i didnt post to argue or enlighten you or TWS. i couldnt care less about you two.but if you or tws wanna talk xingyi , then get yourself in chat and we'll talk.

PaulLin
07-02-2002, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Wu-Xing
Paullin, why is it that you agree with most of what i have said and then throw that little comment in at the end? the reason i posted on this thread was so that piquan li (no ofeence but i dont know how new or old you are to xingyi)wouldnt be fed a load of cr@p from TWS about xingyi. i didnt post to argue or enlighten you or TWS. i couldnt care less about you two.but if you or tws wanna talk xingyi , then get yourself in chat and we'll talk.

Please don't feel offended nor offending any one like me. I don't know much about TWS neighther. But didn't we broght out much more info. in XingYi? Not just piquan li, many other who are in the style would notice too. I don't argue, just try to bring out more info.

And please not to get agry or negative feelings, that will bring you bad qi. Peace for all:)

Piquan Li
07-04-2002, 06:59 PM
Does every (or most) xingyi schools also teach bagua or taijiquan? I had bagua & taijiquan training years before I started xingyiquan.

I am quite a novice when it comes to xingyiquan. Maybe this is the norm.

Pawa-eri-to
07-04-2002, 09:05 PM
It's fairly common for people to mix and crosstrain in the internal arts whether this is because most schools teach two or more of them or because you are more likely to be around people who practice other internal arts is pure specualtion. I personally think it's a little of both and more of the ladder.

PaulLin
07-07-2002, 04:35 PM
In my lineage, XingYi and BaGua are said to be in one family. TaiChi, form our experience, are try to acheive the same goal as XingYi and BaGua, just emphasis a little differently. Some people would fit one of them in the beginning some fit others. It is just depends on the person's physical types and personality.

However, Taichi(Yang style based, the one I am practicing) begin with the final approach of both XingYi and BaGua. For example, the ways of prograss in power using: MingJer, AnJer, HuaJer. Taichi attempt to train in HuaJer without going through the Ming and An Jer. So people thinking that is more advanced, but I think it is just the fitting of different person.

greendragon
07-08-2002, 03:25 PM
Willow Sword, don't let them flame you, Paul Lin is correct. PaKua and Hsing-i are sister arts. What i don't understand is why that bothers these guys so badly.

BAI HE
07-08-2002, 05:36 PM
Sniff, sniff.... Gaddammn Hippy!:D

Wu-Xing
07-09-2002, 12:27 AM
Greendragon;

where did i say they were not "sister" arts?

Piquan Li
07-09-2002, 07:36 PM
Have any of you xingyiquan people sparred (heavy) or fought with other styles?

I workout with Choy Li Fut students. It's good to work with another good aggressive style.

Thanks for all the tips everybody.

Felipe Bido
07-10-2002, 07:05 AM
I've sparred with Choy Li Fut guys (I was one of them before), Shaolin guys, Karate guysone or two judo players (not much..it was mostly fun), a boxer, a trainer from the navy, and 10 or more guys from the street that know nothing about martial arts.