PDA

View Full Version : Getting up quickly

sticky fingers
06-24-2002, 02:02 AM
What are some good ways to quickly get off the ground and back on your feet when:
lying on your back
lying face down

so that you can get into a defensive stance. I'm not talking about ringfighting but from a self defense viewpoint. and not when you have someone on top of you, but if you got tripped or shoved and fell down. Any links to pictures would be appreciated as explaining techs in words can be difficult.

TzuChan
06-24-2002, 02:49 AM
Kick him once in WT style on the floor, then just push yourself up on your arms and RUN away that he can't push you, takes me about 1 sec ..

TjD
06-24-2002, 03:01 AM
just lately ive been starting to do that sweet as if your laying on your back jump up and land on your feet thing (no hands!) - like you see in every jackie chan movie ;)

thats pretty darn quick

in wing chun we train a way to get from the ground to standing, without using your hands and while keeping your groin guarded at all times

basically one leg straight forward, the other leg bent, with the foot in to the knee, while bringing the torso up

rotate the bent leg's foot under your behind while getting up to a kneeling position (keeping the other leg in front of your groin)

stand up off the back leg - and your the side wing chun stance! ta-da

if i was on my back - as long as no one was on top of me the first thing i would do would be roll over onto my back then either of the aforementioned methods

UNLESS while on my stomache, looking forward i could see my opponent - then i would push up with my hands and get the hell up :)

peace
travis

TzuChan
06-24-2002, 03:31 AM
Yes without hands is even better, but that is WC/WT style I think, and it doesn't work when laying flat on your stomache

TjD
06-24-2002, 03:39 AM
however the other way i mentioned does, you can rotate your legs under you and do the 1 2 3, and your up in your wing chun stance :)

if your on your stomache with someone on top of you... well thats just bad ;)

peace
travis

TzuChan
06-24-2002, 04:21 AM
haha, not always, could be you're just having rough sex with your woman ;)

Gabriel
06-24-2002, 04:39 AM
ok..i've been trying to do the arch the back from laying down back down, and landing on my feet thing..i can do it,but my KF brothers laugh at me when i do it :( (must look funny or somethin) One major thing that helped me to do this maneuver is the iron bridges.

As far as face down...im helpless..lol

No, really. I've worked on one move. its this. Lay down face down. push up halfway through a triangle pushup. Propell yourself forward with legs and tuck legs in at same time. rise to feet. or...you can propell yourself into a roll..theoretically..last time I tried I nearly got a concussion.. Other than that...well my Sihing can do somethin that i can't where he kinda explodes upwards with all his limbs from a lying down belly down pos...and he sort of does a half flip or something and ends up on his feet..He looks like a demented frog when he does it. blah.

Or, you can try the chinese whirlwind from Wushu :D I like to call it Chinese Breakdancing...but hey.

Former castleva
06-24-2002, 05:06 AM
Nice post.
Probably one should try to develop a good falling technique=ukemi" in japanese.
It saves a lot from you,if you get thrown/tripped whatever,you can go to ground without getting hurt and rotate into defense stance quickly.There lies the danger that if you get thrown,and donīt know how to fall,that might end the whole issue there,no more getting up.You can also end up on the ground after ukemi,with protecting yourself at there.
If you end up falling like a rock and still able to rise.
Try to protect your vital areas,keep your hands up and feet on the ground,legs protecting groin etc.
Try to revive some kind of balance to rise up.

This hopefully clears some clouds.

:)

TjD
06-24-2002, 09:02 AM
every class we practice that standing up without your hands thing (after warmups doing stuff on the ground)

i'm surprised no other styles out there have a way to get your butt off the ground quickly

peace
travis

Budokan
06-24-2002, 12:32 PM
I have no problem getting it up quickly.

Oh, you mean getting "up". :eek:

Sorry.;)

Mr Punch
06-24-2002, 11:30 PM
Aikido style ukemi are excellent, because you usually roll all the way to a standing position. Backward (ushiro) ukemi work better with an upwards kick at the same time, and keep you pretty well covered. The downside is when people really have a firm grip on you if they are throwing you, then the forward style one can cause more problems than it solves. Learning good ukemi is like learning an art by itself.

Otherwise, be careful of putting your hands out in front of you as you are getting up. I have had my hands kicked out from under me and eaten mud as a result.

There is a whirly way, maybe the same as the aforementioned 'Chinese breakdancing'. You put your hand out in front and way to the side, and then you can spin right leg or left leg first, out towards the hand and into a standing position. If the opponent goes for your supporting arm, they'll get the full swinging force of one/both of your legs sweeping/kicking them. Your chin is vulnerable for a very short time though.

HOW DO YOU PRACTICE THAT NO-HAND FLIP FROM THE SHOULDERS!!?:)

KnightSabre
06-25-2002, 01:22 AM
When you are on your back and your apponent is standing infront of you,
it is very important not to standup going forewards towards your apponent,if you do you could walk into a kick or a knee.
Also while that flip up move looks cool and can be seen in movies,it should be left in movies,in a real situation if you flip up your apponent will have enough time to kick ,hit or take you down.

The best way to get up and defend your self from your back is from the 'rocking chair' position.
Lie on your back with your legs bent and feet facing apponent,if he approaches you can kick at his legs,then turn onto your side with one of your legs flat on the ground,the other should be bent and ****ed against your chest,you will be propped up by your one arm while the other arm is braced against your raised leg to add a barrier for protection (hard to explain the position).

from the second position you will keep the attacker at bay with your ****ed leg by kicking at him in a front kick type kick,once the required distance is required you will respond rapidly,
the kicking leg will fold down and behind the leg on the ground,you will kick off of this leg and start to move backwards,both hands will come up in fron of you in a shield like manor,you should move about two steps back by the time you are in fighting stance again.

HuangKaiVun
06-25-2002, 04:45 AM
In the style I made for myself, I address this by having multiple ways of getting off the floor.

ROLLING is not bad. I train going either left or right on my side for this. I also train somersaulting over both shoulders going forwards or backwards. These come in handy when somebody sends you flying away from him - you can use your own momentum to propel yourself away.

Also I train going into a crouch position from either the pushup or on-the-back postures. That's important because sometimes you can't just spring to your feet without getting taken back down. Both of these allow for either going up or down, depending on the situation.

The one move I haven't trained is the pop-up jump. I never could do the move, though I'm sure I could if I tried hard enough. But in the heat of combat, I probably wouldn't use that move because the other responses I outlined above kick in for me much more naturally and without conscious thought.

I also have a "Chair" set in my style, which teaches a guy multiple ways of getting in and out of a chair as well as how to use it as a weapon.

Black Jack
06-25-2002, 06:02 AM
The Paratrooper Roll used in the military. It's a good move to gain some minor distance and get back on your feet

anerlich
06-25-2002, 06:19 PM
I learned the method TJD described, from sitting, roll forward over one shin and stand up, hands free. While it is effective and easily reversible at any point if the guy starts to crowd you again, I'd prefer a method which allows me to move back and create space while I'm getting up.

My preferred method now is from a ground defence position on one side, up on the elbow, top hand and leg (mainly the latter) defending, other leg tucked in under close to the butt, so it can't be stomped on:

Kick out to move the opp. back, post on the supporting hand and kicking leg,guard with the other (forward) hand and swing the other leg underneath the body, stand up and step back if possible. This defense shown to me by a BJJ BB at a seminar.

I can do necksprings, kipups, whatever you want to call them. I competed and coached state level gymnastics at HS and University. As cool as this looks in the movies, it's a really DUMB idea in reality - a perfect opportunity for your opp to kick you in solar plexus or face. You're arched back, hands behind, defenseless.

While you can get up pretty quickly from your stomach with a burpee-style move, IMO you'd be better turning onto your back before getting up. You need your hands and feet in front of you to defend, for the same reasons as why having someone get your back in ground grappling is so dangerous. That time period while your pushing yourself off the ground from a prone position is a perfect opportunity for your opp to try a soccerball kick.

IMO every MA should spend time learning to fall and roll, ideally a fall turns into a roll and you're straight back on your feet. Marc "Animal" MacYoung's book "Floor Fighting" has some good stuff on this, but IMO the best reference I have seen is Scott Sonnon's "Ground [dis]Engagement" tape from his Grapplers' Toolbox series (www.amerross.com).

Unstoppable
06-25-2002, 06:22 PM
ANERLICH is Correct but Make sure you have Strong ABS/QUADS

TTFN

Mr Punch
06-25-2002, 06:49 PM
Yep, it's very important to check your musculature before you get stomped Unstoppable...

1) Let's see, did I eat my eggs this morning?

2) Flex that sixpack...

3) Backflip.

or

3) Eat feet.

:D

Tell me, is Un your first name Mr Stoppable? :p

Anerlich, I would never dream of using it in a real situation: I just wanna look cool...! Maaan, if I wanted to live in a world of pain, I'd change my name to Black Jack!!:D

Unstoppable
06-25-2002, 07:02 PM
i DO not UndertstandMat
EXPLAIN!

TTFN

Merryprankster
06-25-2002, 07:56 PM
Personally, I don't want to get up so much quickly as I do safely. It is, of course, possible to do both, but if I have to opt for some unforeseen reason, I'll opt for safely.

Chang Style Novice
06-25-2002, 09:59 PM
Good point Merry, I was going to post something like that myself. It brings up a question, though - how do you stay on the ground safely?

Merryprankster
06-26-2002, 07:26 AM
In a streetfight with unknown parameters, you don't. If you are in a situation that is clearly one on one, then it's quite possible, barring weapons.

Instead of thinking of 'how you stay on the ground safely' think more in terms of improving your position.

On the ground, stomach down is BAD.

On the ground, stomach up, is not so bad.

My first priority is to face my opponent, back to the ground, head away, then to stand up.

I'm assuming that I'm on the ground and my opponent is standing and too far for me to engage. If they are close enough to engage, then I'll sweep and come up instead. It's just as fast and puts him on his back giving me more time to run.

Merryprankster
06-26-2002, 07:27 AM
Or are you asking--how do you stay on the ground safely long enough to stand-up safely?