PDA

View Full Version : My thots on Wong 2002…

Suntzu
06-24-2002, 07:40 AM
it was a great tournament… a nice turn out… at times it seemed a lil unorganised but actually it was very well run and Sifu Wong is a funny dude… I love his personality… but I feel for the judges whom he was tryin to fatten with candy…

my only issue is the sparring sessions… the rules, they suck… I understand about the insurance issues and what not but come on… no direct contact to the face… isn't a str8 punch/jab the back bone of kung fu… require caged headgear and lets get it on…

no weight classes… u should have seen these big dudes taking chunks out of some of those lil' guys… but actually the lil' guys were holding there own and in some cases were crushin the big dudes… but still…

u bleed u win… huh???:rolleyes:

no sweeps or take downs… just rent some padding… I know in our style a sweep is as fundamental as breathing …

and require the women to wear chest gear… I like to see a women touching the chest of another as much as the next guy but c'mon…

I guess that’s all I have to say… oh yeah... htere was no wushu... i was lookin forward to seeing the girl in the pink pj's... always a personal fav:D

RENEGADE_MONK
06-24-2002, 08:13 AM
Suntzu,

Glad you liked it, as far as the rules allowing contact to the face would have made it hard to get the tourney insured, plus try explaining to a 9yr olds parent if their childs nose gets broken, finger in the eye ect ect..

Were you able to catch the Lion Dance? and don't forget the highlight of the Tourney you got a rare opportuntity to hear the Wong Singers, sing the National Anthem :D

By the way did you compete? what school did you represent?

R.I.P ARH

Suntzu
06-24-2002, 08:25 AM
like I said, I understand the insurance issues, but I still think the rule took away from peoples skills… and ofcourse the kids should be exempt from killin each other… maann, the kids was my favorite… they are just sooo darn cute beatin the crap outta each other...

Wong's lion dances are always off the hook… but the other school that did the group demo was showing of on there drums…

I didn’t compete, I was there to hang out and cheer my classmates on… after I came back from K. Superstar I have been just lazy… but now I wish I aleast did a form just to do it… and I was reppin the US Kuoshu Academy

Jowbacca
06-24-2002, 08:32 AM
Personal thanks to everyone that came out. Hope you enjoyed the tournament. I know I'll work harder next year. It was great meeting some of you (hope I didn't talk yer ear off). :)

sihing
i'm still hurting. I slept all day sunday and I'm still exhausted. Shoulda gone to bed early on saturday. heheh

Suntzu
06-24-2002, 08:37 AM
one more thing… the girl Li-Liang, I think her name is… I hope they treated her to dinner and than some because she worked her azz off…

Jowbacca
06-24-2002, 08:52 AM
Sijie Li Ling is da bomb; but I really gotta point out that ALL my kung fu brothers and sisters busted their A$$es for a good 13 hours straight. Much respect to everyone.

Much respect to all the competitors and participants as well. There was a lot of sweat, blood, and tears that went into those performances.

Suntzu
06-24-2002, 09:09 AM
I agree with you there… Sifu Wong's food and entertainment budget should be used up behind the work they did…

RENEGADE_MONK
06-24-2002, 09:33 AM
Si dei I bet you did trying to burn that midnight oil LOL where did you guys ended up going Sat night ?

Oh yeah I have to give a Thanks to Kungfu Magazine for coming out many many Thanks !!

Jowbacca
06-24-2002, 09:44 AM
I could tell yah, but I'd have to kill yah. :P :D

Actually we didn't really go out. We ended up just sitting around talking.

ZhouJiaQuan
06-24-2002, 10:05 AM
i must agree i thought it was well run. props to ya'll for the hard work.

as for the rules of sparring, they make sense to me. I agree that it is hard to fight without straight jabs to the face(and many people did them anyway, accidentally/intentionally i dont know) and the fights i was watching they didnt get called on much. i never saw anyone get more then 1 warning for them.

As for bleeding again that makes sense, the one who draws blood gets DQ'ed. it makes the fighters go softer. this was *light contact* sparring. so the rules will be different then full contact/sanshou(and in many times not as much fun :) ). But i only saw one guy get dq'ed for drawing blood, and i saw alot of blood in many of the fights.

yea i agree with the wieght classes, that kinda sucked, but the small guys could hold their own alot of times, and some of the smaller guys i was talking to, found going against the huge guys fun.

btw you could sweep to the outside of the front leg...

i saw alot of wushu, trying to be passed off as traditional nothern :confused:

all in all well run

Chuk Hung
06-24-2002, 10:38 AM
Greetings,

I really enjoyed the tournament, good job guys! Does Sifu Wong have an email address? I would like to thank him for a very well ran event, himself and his team were very professional.

As for the sparring, it is "light contact". Anything more, would be full contact. And that is something totally different. I judged the sparring in Ring 6, and I have to say, there were some heavy exchanges. There were warnings for excessive force, but we did let things go to a certain point. And there was quite a bit of blood. You have to remember, the safety of the competitors is the first thing in our minds. But most of the matches were well fought, and good sportsmanship was shown by all.

Sifu Tom Chez

Suntzu
06-24-2002, 11:22 AM
i saw alot of wushu, trying to be passed off as traditional nothern

u know, now that I think about it you're right…

and I do understand its 'light contact' but I'm a san shou guy so I am a bit biased… and would have been a bit unprepared if I would have participated… still, there were some good fights and since everyone enjoyed themselves… oh well…

Jowbacca
06-25-2002, 04:33 AM
Hi Sifu Chez; pleasure working with you at Ring 1. :)

The contact information for Sifu, as per our school's website ( www.wongkungfu.com ) is:

Wong Chinese Boxing Association
218 Florida Ave. NW
Washington, D.C. 20001

Tel: (202)234-1826
Fax: (202)986-3586

e-mail:
Sifu Raymond Wong: rwong@wongchineseboxing.com

Hope this helps

The Whyzyrd
06-25-2002, 04:37 AM
To all at Wongs....

Thank you. The tourney was great. Had a good time. Fought hard and really enjoyed myself. Things were run real well. Having done it before - I know everyone worked their a$$es off.

Again - well done.

Hopefully we will see you all at the Wong Fei Hung Tourney in September.

Chuk Hung
06-25-2002, 06:04 AM
Jowbacca,

Thanks for the contact information! I will email your sifu as soon as possible. Once again, great tournament. Please give my regards to Sifu Wong. I am already looking foward to next year's tournament!!

Regards,
Sifu Tom Chez

Je Lei Sifu
06-25-2002, 04:09 PM
RENEGADE_MONK AND Jowbacca,

It was fun hanging out with y'all after the tourny.

I had a good time overall although I was extremely tired. It was a long trip back to Philly, but I made it back home by 2am.

BTW the yardbird was all dat.

Hope to see y'all at the WFH tourny

Peace out.

Je Lei Sifu.

P.S. I had to judge some of the Wu Shu trying to pass as Northern Gung Fu.

RENEGADE_MONK
06-25-2002, 06:36 PM
Je Lei Sifu,

Same here it was a pleasure to meet you too, I see why I hear nothing but good things about you bro, too bad we couldn't have met up earlier in the day.

I see you liked the yardbird, but stayed away from the "PORK CHOP":D

Je Lei Sifu
06-25-2002, 07:45 PM
Pork Chop is no good fo Ya, unless you're a Jowbacca. :D

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

Jowbacca
06-26-2002, 03:28 AM
Yah, but at least I can approach girls with the cool line "pork, the other white meat." :p

In Texas we have euphamisms for foods- ya know words for bad foods that don't sound so bad:
menudo, barbacoa, calf fry, rocky mountain oysters...
Can't blame me for bein cautious about "yard bird". hehe

Je Lei Sifu
06-26-2002, 10:44 AM
I'll pass on the mountain oysters.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu