PDA

View Full Version : Martial Art or Pest Control?

isol8d
06-24-2002, 01:15 PM
I was browsing another site, and came across this part of an article that I found amusing:

A good logo is worth a thousand words. I was at a seminar not long ago where they showed a praying mantis on the screen. I instantly knew that as the symbol for Tong Long Kung Fu, the Praying Mantis Kung Fu. However, they researched 100 people who had no Martial Arts background, and found these people believed it to be the logo for an exterminator service!

Ha. 100 people with no martial arts background at a martial arts seminar? Must have been David Carridine's Mantis Kung Fu.

woliveri
06-25-2002, 07:55 AM
The quote says they researched 100 people who had no Martial Arts background, not that they were at a Martial Arts seminar unless your leaving something out.

isol8d
06-25-2002, 09:16 AM
That's true. It's hard to try and put myself in the group with "no martial arts experience", and look at a logo for most Mantis schools, because, well, as with almost everyone reading this, I have had martial arts experience.

I guess when I was younger, and studied TKD, before any familiarity with the chinese martial arts world, I could have mistaken that.

It's still kind of funny. Sort of like trying to explain to your family that the tae kwan do classes you are taking are going well, even if they are kung fu classes.

Mom: "So how's your karate class?"
Me: Sigh, "good mom, their good"

Maybe I'll just tell her I'm going to an exterminator school.

simon_peter
06-25-2002, 11:44 PM
Funny, I have the same problem. One week she thinks its TKD, another its karate. The ironic part is that its almost never kung fu, and certainly never Praying Mantis (and Tai Chi Tong Long Quan is not even a choice).

neito
07-01-2002, 02:38 PM
simon_peter - is your school nolonger accepting students? i called them a while ago and they never replied.

Art D
07-06-2002, 05:29 AM
The piont being made at the seminar is that the genral public dose not Know, just look at MOM and she's your mom.
What they say is that you want to use more reconized images when advertising to the public, and use the mantis logo in house .

NorthernMantis
07-06-2002, 05:42 PM
Funny I thought wah lum was an extermination service at first.:D When I lived in Orlando my parents had a Colombian restaurant down the street from the school and every time I would pass by it I would see this huge bug on this yellow board and thought it was an extermintaion sevice later to find out it was a kung fu school:D .