PDA

View Full Version : What style?

Souljah
06-24-2002, 02:23 PM
Hey, I was just wondering if you could all tell me what styles of MA you study.....
I study a style which I'm sure no1 has heard of called REI, originally a chinese style, relatively new (only 7 generations old).
It has elements of many internal arts eg hsing-i, qi gong.(some bagua)
With also some external elements at basic levels.

So thats i little about my style, could I hear from you and about each of your studied styles, or , if not studied interested styles.....

Prairie
06-24-2002, 02:43 PM
Well, you're right in at least my case - I've never heard of your style. It sounds interesting. Do you know any of the style's history.

As for me, I'm a student of chen style taiji.

norther practitioner
06-24-2002, 02:54 PM
Chang chuan (shaolin, cha, tam tui, etc.) and Yang style tai chi chuan. I would be interested in hearing how the xingyi and bagua are melded together.

Richie
06-24-2002, 02:57 PM
I study Tai Shing Pek Kwar.

HopGar
06-24-2002, 03:26 PM
Hop Gar - part of the Lama Pai family of styles.
Shaolin Qigong and "The Great Five Buddhist" Qigong, which are taught together

Unfotunately I've been out for a few months b/c of a lack of funds.

Budokan
06-24-2002, 03:47 PM
shotokan

stuff
06-24-2002, 03:52 PM
Wing Chun:D

Felipe Bido
06-24-2002, 04:00 PM
I practice Xingyiquan

Souljah, I've never heard of your style. Is there any info of it on the web? :)

Northen Practicioner, Xingyi and Bagua have been melded together before. There's Xingyi Bagua forms, and Pan Gen. Also, the Xingyiquan Two-man form, called "Sixteen Paired Practice" is a combination of Xingyi, Bagua and Tai Chi. Very interesting. ;)

TjD
06-24-2002, 06:21 PM
wing chun baybee!! ip ching style

peace
travis

dre
06-24-2002, 06:55 PM
Seven Star Praying Mantis Kungfu.

Souljah
06-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Well, I cant give you reams of information at the moment, as I haven't progressed very far in the system, i've been training for about a 18 months and im at an intermediate level. (I'M 17 NOW)

The four main levels are - Foundation, Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced.

I have a freind who is at advanced level in the same style, who has been doing martial arts for over 7 years and he has been given a brief history of the style by our teacher, which he passed to me.

I know what a few of you have said about not being able to find anything about it, thats because its not a very common style and most of the practitioners reside in china. (hence the lack of publicity)

I have however been given permission to build a site on the style (which will be the first) I hope to be up within the next few months, and I will post the link when its up.
If anyone would like any more information you can email me to the address provided.

shaolinboxer
06-25-2002, 08:42 AM
Aikido, Shin Budo Kai style (Sensei Shizuo Imaizumi).

Souljah
06-26-2002, 02:29 AM
Keep your styles coming please

I would post a poll, but there are too many styles to list.....

KnightSabre
06-26-2002, 03:05 AM
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu,Muay Thai,Western Boxing,Jeet Kune Do

MMA :)

Nevermind
06-26-2002, 08:22 AM
Hung Gar

Suntzu
06-26-2002, 08:32 AM
tian shan pei and san shou

Skarbromantis
06-26-2002, 10:15 AM
7 star praying mantis

Skard1

Souljah
06-27-2002, 05:57 AM
Suntzu I've never heard of your styles, could you tell me some more bout them?
Like where r they from, how old etc?

Suntzu
06-27-2002, 06:22 AM
Tian Shan Pai (http://www.tienshanpai.org/tienshanpai/index.shtml) and San Shou (http://www.sanshou.org/sanda.html) :D

cwheelie
06-27-2002, 10:12 AM
ying jow pai

Skummer
06-27-2002, 12:38 PM
Tai Chi, Ba Gua, and Judo here.

PaulLin
06-27-2002, 04:34 PM
Taichi--Yang Style based, modified by XingYi, BaGua, and ShuaiChaio

XingYi and BaGua--From Wong Shu Jin's teaching.

8 step praying mantis--form GM Wei ShaioTang.

White Crane, shaking style---form Tsi Tien Tu

ShiaoLin ChinNa--form Han Chin Tang.

ShuaiChiao--form Chang TungShen

TanTui--form ZhangHe

KunLun DanTao meditation--form Liu PeiChung.

dezhen2001
06-28-2002, 01:47 AM
I study Wing Chun Kuen (Yip Chun lineage) Kunlun Dayan Qigong (Wild goose Qigong), and Heavenly River Monastery Hard Qigong :)

david

Souljah
06-28-2002, 05:27 AM
Paulin those are alot of styles, how old r u ?

If possible could you all write what each style you mention entails..... and any other knowledge you have on it.

Keep em' coming

Helicopter
06-28-2002, 05:52 AM
Personally I study Southern Kung fu (mainly Hung Ga Kuen)

In the old days (and I've heard some schools still do this) the Master would tell the student what style he would learn. This was dependent on things like height, build, strength, reaction time, flexibilty, co-ordination.

Luckily these days you get choice! :cool: (Well depending upon what's in your area.) But your choice might depend on the above factors. If your shorter than average and slight in build Wing Chun might suit, however if you're built like a brick ****(out)house then Hung Ga's the one. :) However I'm 5'8" and 11 stone and I love Hung Ga.

So to cut a long story short, my advice find something that 's fun.
It's makes practicing a helluva alot bl**dy easier.:D

jpcm

PaulLin
06-28-2002, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Souljah
Paulin those are alot of styles, how old r u ?

If possible could you all write what each style you mention entails..... and any other knowledge you have on it.

Keep em' coming

I am 31 years old.

I started 8 step praying mantis at the age of 8. Half year later, started TanTui. The Mantis I learned is exactly the way GM Wei taught. We do have more applications add to it, but the original is still all in our training. The Tan Tui I learned form Zhang is the traiditional 10 sections, not the newer 12 sections. My father thought Tan Tui is very good for youth to build foundation, so he found Zhang and agree to exchange 8 step for Tan Tui, but Zhang didn't really learn any 8 step, I guess he was just being generous and didn't want my father to think he owns him.

ChinNa and ShuaiChiao was trained about age 10. Since my father organized the ShuaiChiao club in JianKuo Highschool, where many ShuaiChiao people started it, I have planty kids to thow around(or being trow, mostly) at that time. At the same time I learned LiuHe Chuan and LainBu Chuan with ChinNa.

I first started White Crane at 12, but didn't goes any where. So I stuck in the foundation 5 elements for until passed 26 years old. That I have enough internal foundations form BaGua, TaiChi, and XingYi to help me break though the place I was stucking in. That took impact on my TanTui, 8 step, and ShuaiChiao as well. I still only practicing on the 5 elements without adding more on White Crane, since I still think there are more needed to be achieved before I need to went further.

I started TaiChi, XingYi, and BaGua after we moved to USA, about 14 years old then. Our TaiChi has applications of XingYi, BaGua, and ShuaiChiao included, just to link all styles we have together and still with its own training preserved. So when we teach, no matter which style, it will be very easy to link to another when one take on the next style. I have TaiChi longform, pushing hands, sword and broad sword. On XingYi I have 5 elements, TsaShe, BaShe, LainHuan. On BaGua, I have 8 prenatal and 8 postnatal.

KunLun DanTao was also beginned about 14. It was meditation that gernally working on the harmony of 6 points--"Liu Shen Tung Yi"--"Liu Tung"--the 6 opened paths, and "Tsi Yao"--to harmonize nature and planets energy. My GM Liu PeiChung, in his 90's, has no white hair, skin like baby without a single fold. He has no sex life all life time, same as my XingYi and BaGua Gmaster Wong ShuJin.

That is all I know now.

PaulLin
06-28-2002, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
I study Wing Chun Kuen (Yip Chun lineage) Kunlun Dayan Qigong (Wild goose Qigong), and Heavenly River Monastery Hard Qigong :)

david

You have KunLun Qigong too, we are "tung men" in a way.

Souljah
06-29-2002, 04:17 AM
Thanks paul lin, after 23 years are you ready to teach, it seems you have enough styles under your belt, however you didnt say whether you have completed them or "mastered" them.

Similarly I train partially in Xing-i/hsing i , qi gong and some bakua.

Keep em' coming.....

Chang Style Novice
06-29-2002, 05:22 AM
I am exceedingly envious of Paul Lin's training. I am two years older than he is, but he has twenty years more experience in martial arts!

Anyway, I study Chang Tai Chi, the same Tai Chi that Paul studies, and am sure that he would absolutely destroy me in any sparring session.

Paul, I noticed in your profile that your interests include sculpture. Are you a sculptor yourself? I am an oil painter studying at University of Texas at Austin. I expect you know my tai chi teacher, Paul Hwang of Tai Chi People.

Mr Punch
06-29-2002, 06:09 AM
I just thank the lord that I'm hiding behind a keyboard and can make snide comments in my perfect grammar!!!:D Only joking Paul; in fact most of your posts make more sense than mine too, even in your second language!!:o

Souljah, I am currently without dojo/kwoon which is lamentable, but I am training everyday without fail in wingchun, aikido and kendo.

I will soon return to my kwoon, then shortly after a new dojo, then I hope to take up something new (maybe bcough jujutsu, or taichi again or boxing).

Chang Style Novice
06-29-2002, 08:01 AM
Somewhat offtopic, but I want to respond to Mat's tagline.

I don't think smaller people are more agile, but I suspect that they may have faster reflexes (because impulses don't have such a great distance of nerve tissue to travel) and more flexiblity (because torque doesn't exert so much force on the lengths of relatively short limbs and therefore tendons and ligaments don't have to have so high a tensile strength and can instead possess a greater extended length relative to their mass.) These advantages may create an impression of greater agility.

yours truly,
Lumbering Oaf

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 08:13 AM
I'd like to comment on your tagline:

I'll always pick the guy who has mercy as good manners. The guy for whom it's a passion is more likely to fly off the handle :) Good manners are something that's drilled into your head in one way or another.

I'll trust Pavlovian type reactions over a passion that has been cultivated and thought about any day of the week :)

Kilik
06-29-2002, 08:52 AM
My style consists of Chang Chuan and Hong Cheun
Tan Tui form part of our syllabus as well.....

Braden
06-29-2002, 09:35 AM
Ba Gua Zhang, of the Jiang Rong Qiao / Cheng Ting Hua variety.

Black Jack
06-29-2002, 10:06 AM
Antagnostics:D

ww2 close combat methods, kail, western ma & military combatives research, running away waza.

Souljah
06-29-2002, 12:36 PM
Chang,
I think your view is very interesting, It has always intrigued me why smaller people tended to have better flexibility and sometime naturally faster reflexes..... and your account holds a reasonable explanation.

I'm also quite tall (6'3) and before I started training was quite stiff and oaf-like, my speed however was not so bad as in a completely different topic I am a drummer and my rolls and fills helped me attain a certain speed before i even thought of taking up kung fu.

Keep em' coming

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 12:18 AM
Thanks paul lin, after 23 years are you ready to teach, it seems you have enough styles under your belt, however you didnt say whether you have completed them or "mastered" them.

Similarly I train partially in Xing-i/hsing i , qi gong and some bakua.

Keep em' coming.....

The parts that I have listed, they are all good enough to teach, that is all foundations, vital requirements, and over 10 years of applying experiences at the least. I don't know how would be qualified as "mastered" a style. In compare to my GMs, I am prabably only about 40%.

Like usually we are supposed to have Cha Chuan after TanTui, I have only been practicing the 4th chapter of Cha Chuan and now have been 7 years have not doing Cha Chuan, since I have moving more internal. Internals favorite to use less and result more, such as saying of Chinese "Ye Yi Dai Lao" and 4 ounces moves 1000 lbs. That affects my ShiaoLin forms, 8 step mantis, and ShuaiChaio as well.

So right now, my sharper sides are TaiChi, XingYi(I don't do all the 12 animal forms), BaGua, ChinNa, KunLunDanTao. If you can see, these are more close to each others.

The less sharper sides are TanTui(need every day practiced, but only 1-2 times/week now), WhiteCrane(still working on the 5 elements), 8 step mantis(it should be practiced every day, but I have only done that 1-2 times/week), ShuaiChaio(can't do this every day either). Although these are less sharper, I have no problem to show and teach them well. Just they are not as sharp as they should be. In Chinese, we have a saying that even with the skills of an opera actor, if one trained hard every day, he/she would has a good chance to defeat a martial artist who didn't train every day. That tells about how important it is to train every day to keep it sharp.

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
I am exceedingly envious of Paul Lin's training. I am two years older than he is, but he has twenty years more experience in martial arts!

Anyway, I study Chang Tai Chi, the same Tai Chi that Paul studies, and am sure that he would absolutely destroy me in any sparring session.

Paul, I noticed in your profile that your interests include sculpture. Are you a sculptor yourself? I am an oil painter studying at University of Texas at Austin. I expect you know my tai chi teacher, Paul Hwang of Tai Chi People.

The one you should really envy about is my father, not me. I am just lucky to have my father who studied under so many different masters for more than 30 years.

Chang TaiChi was mainly passed down form Dr. Weng. I am guessing that your teacher Hwang should be a student of him, if I remembered correctly. But my father has retired already for about 10 years, he has not contect any one. And I didn't either. As you can see, I am too busy to sculpt, practicing, and support my own living cost at the same time. Yet, I love to sculpt more than I love MA. My father always complain to me about it since he like me to focus on MA more. I am working very hard to fuse the 2 together as one. Like if I can come up with a form the will complete a scupture at the same time when the form was finished.

Since you are a painter, and oil painting can consume a lot of time too. Maybe you can fuse painting with MA too, so you can produce painting and train MA at the same time.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2002, 04:36 AM
Actually, My shifu learned his Yang, Wu, Sun, etc. tai chi from various sources, including his father (who's name I do not know) and learned Chang Tai Chi and Shuai Chiao from John Wang, who I believe is a close friend of your father. You are the son of David CK Lin, if I am right.

Yes, it is a sad fact that both fine arts and martial arts take up a great deal of time, and it is probably only possible to fully practice one or the other to your greatest potential, especially when you have to earn a living at the same time. I have come to regard martial arts as a healthy, fascinating hobby and oil painting (and also drawing) as the main reason for my life. Many of my paintings are either of martial arts being practiced, or still lifes or abstracts that demonstrate principles of martial arts. When I have time, I work to prepare an online gallery to display my paintings and drawings. When it's done, I'll certainly post it here, and I hope someone will buy them!

Souljah
06-30-2002, 08:28 AM
Paulin,
A form blending your 2 hobbies sounds great, could u tell me a little more bro?
Would you try this with your oild paintings chang? lol perhaps not since you cant move around a canvas like a sculpture.....
id love to see wot u guys have done.....

dezhen2001
06-30-2002, 12:21 PM
Paul Lin: I would be interested in hearing more about your Kunlun Qigong system... maybe we can share experiences by PM? :) If not, it's ok :) (it's rare that i meet someone who has Qigong from KunLun, let alone my own system)...

Souljah: hope these posts are showing you the huge diversity of CMA. Good luck with your searching and i hope you find a good teacher :)

david

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 01:03 PM
Actually, My shifu learned his Yang, Wu, Sun, etc. tai chi from various sources, including his father (who's name I do not know) and learned Chang Tai Chi and Shuai Chiao from John Wang, who I believe is a close friend of your father. You are the son of David CK Lin, if I am right.

Yes, it is a sad fact that both fine arts and martial arts take up a great deal of time, and it is probably only possible to fully practice one or the other to your greatest potential, especially when you have to earn a living at the same time. I have come to regard martial arts as a healthy, fascinating hobby and oil painting (and also drawing) as the main reason for my life. Many of my paintings are either of martial arts being practiced, or still lifes or abstracts that demonstrate principles of martial arts. When I have time, I work to prepare an online gallery to display my paintings and drawings. When it's done, I'll certainly post it here, and I hope someone will buy them!

Alright, we both didn't guess on target then. John Wang--Wang ShihYan--is a late student of GM Chang, and has close relation with GM.

David Lin--Lin ChiKai-- was my father's High School student. He joined ShuaiChaio club that my father orginized and became a student of GM Chang later. My father is Chun-Fu Lin, 75 years old now. One of the older(not the most oldest) student of GM Chang. He was also named by GM Chang as the head disciple. Both John and David should known my father.

I did some painting and drawing too, but not often. If you post a online gallery, please let me know, I will surely to visit.:)

Braden
06-30-2002, 01:11 PM
Souljah - Is there anything more you can say about your style? It sounds interesting.

You say it trains in bagua methods. Do you walk the circle and practice a single palm change?

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 01:14 PM
Paulin,
A form blending your 2 hobbies sounds great, could u tell me a little more bro?
Would you try this with your oild paintings chang? lol perhaps not since you cant move around a canvas like a sculpture.....
id love to see wot u guys have done.....

Yes, I am planning mainly using BaGua foundation and circle around clay with a pair of weapon. After the forms are done, the sculpture was done too. And every stikes has to be just the right angle, deepth, curve, and expression. Not correcting any strikes for second time. That will took some training to make it once and correct. I am working on designing my weapon(or sculpting tool) now.

Althou painting make you think that it is on one side only, I think you can paint in circle too if you have a cylinder canvas, or you are surrounded by canvas.

I do have some pictures of my sculptures, but I have no site. So I don't know if you want see them in e-mail.

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by dezhen2001
Paul Lin: I would be interested in hearing more about your Kunlun Qigong system... maybe we can share experiences by PM? :) If not, it's ok :) (it's rare that i meet someone who has Qigong from KunLun, let alone my own system)...

Souljah: hope these posts are showing you the huge diversity of CMA. Good luck with your searching and i hope you find a good teacher :)

david

My GM Liu was a so called "Chin Tain Jian" the person who are in the forbidden city palace that determin future outcome. The very beggining foundation are the opening of 3 paths--wind, fire, and wather--on the torso. Then the 6 points(Liu Shen) along the path must united and compressed into one, at the same time the path would expend out into the space. As the infinitive inwards and infinitive outwards at the same time. the next thing is to have 6 openings (Liu Tong), that would give special abilities. And then the harmonizing with nature and planets(like moon, sun, mars...). Some time it was called stealing form the nature and planets.

I don't know what is your KunLun meditation objectives are, I sure like to hear it.:)

Souljah
06-30-2002, 02:06 PM
dezhen2001

I already have a style, (1st thread) but as you mentioned this thread has shown me quite a wide range of MA are practiced. (as i hoped it would)

Braden, I will post more info on my style as soon as my teacher returns from china, he is going to give me more info about the style for the site.

Souljah
06-30-2002, 02:10 PM
paulin,

i would like to see some of ur sculptures, could you send me some pictures of them if u have any.....

Braden
06-30-2002, 03:09 PM
I was just wondering about your own thoughts on what you have been training yourself, and specifically if you did any circlewalking. But I look forward to reading the site.

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 03:26 PM
Single circle? figure 8? 9 poles? any at all?

Souljah, I have to need your e-mail address to send you.

Braden
06-30-2002, 03:30 PM
You're asking me?

PaulLin
06-30-2002, 03:41 PM
Any one has train any of the above at all?

Braden
06-30-2002, 03:44 PM
Of course! How can you do bagua without circlewalking? I train single circle regularly. Eight big palms, JRQ's eight changes and roushou. Inside and outside changes; snake and tiger stepping.

Chang Style Novice
06-30-2002, 07:05 PM
I don't know any bagua, and thus circle walking isn't a big part of my practice (or painting) but it's also possible to set a canvas on the floor and walk around it to paint from all sides. Or, if you are accustomed to painting on an easel (like me), you can turn the canvass and see it from all sides. This is something I do often when painting abstracts.

I'm still talking about my style, so I must be on topic, right?;)

What?

Really?

My martial art style?

Ok, never mind.

guohuen
06-30-2002, 11:06 PM
I do the muddy stepping circle walking as qigong, but not the palm changes.

Souljah
07-01-2002, 01:16 AM
Circle walking? Im not sure what this refers to.....

If you mean semi-cirle like steps where you stand in a wide 1 leg forward stance, then move the back leg inward to meet the front, then move the same leg out so it becomes the front leg in the same stance only opposite.....(in a circular motion)
If this sounds the same please tell me, It's what my teacher calls semi-circle steps.
This is the most similar form to what your talking about i know.

Our four most basic stances are -

Horse stance, Dragon stance, Cat stance, Crane stance, defence stance and knee stance which we practice every lesson along with footwork. these are the stances you learn at foundation level.
(the latter 2 stances i will explain in further detail if anyone wants to know........huh! what! you dont!?!? muaaaahhhh!!!)

BRADEN , I'll tell you about it jus tell me what you want to know.....

CHANG , Could i see any of your paintings too?

PAULIN AND CHANG - my email should be in my profile, if not ill pm u if u tell me its not.....

Braden
07-01-2002, 03:07 AM
Souljah - You mentioned your style incorporates bagua training. As I train in bagua, I am always interested to hear about how other people are doing it. So I was just curious as to how or what your style uses from bagua.

Souljah
07-01-2002, 03:31 AM
If the circle walking mentioned above is similar that is our most basic form of footwork.
I know ba gua incorporates this form of foot work, im not extremely knowledgable on each style individually, but once I can distinguish which parts of my style are related to each, then I will inform you on which elements we use.
My teacher does not tell us what parts are from each style straight away, so I will have to do a bit of questioning (of teacher) and research on the net.....

HuangKaiVun
07-01-2002, 04:21 AM
I do MY STYLE.

My students call it "Huang Style" because there's no better term for it.

I have 4 sets: Hands, Kicks, Steps, and Objects. These are not concrete moves with direct applications - they are combinations of little moves arranged as such strictly for memorizational purposes. Moves from the different sets are to be combined together at the practitioner's leisure/need. Most everything done is ambidextrous.

Basically the idea of the style is to make a person ready to deal reflexively with any situation anytime anywhere against anybody.

This style features a wide range of skills. Grappling, groundfighting, submissions, striking, even chairfighting are heavily addressed. A big reason for the diversity is because my students are just as instrumental in adding to the style as I am.

The Objects set features things like Pen, Chair, Cloth, Book, Long Staff, Stick, Ball, and other everyday objects. The goal is to make everything utilizeable as a weapon.

In our "Steps" set, we have a circle walk similar to Bagua's. However, we have a completely different type of step and transition. If one walks in a circle around an object, we feature turns going toward the center and also turns going AWAY from the center. At any time we spring into our other modes of transport, including horse stance and seated stance and ground stances. This is so that one can move in any kind of environment effectively.

We also have two man drills to go with that. Ban zhuang, pai da - my old sifu would be proud of me if he's reading this. It was at his behest I make this own style, and this is the culmination of his "teaching". But we're heavy on bag work/sparring, and I train my students to deal with freefighting multiple attackers. That's the kind of stuff we hopefully try to deal with.

I'll be moving to the Phoenix area very soon to start my own school in this style, specifically Chandler/Mesa/Tempe. I'd welcome any guests (particularly KFO guys) warmly.

dezhen2001
07-01-2002, 04:48 AM
My GM Liu was a so called "Chin Tain Jian" the person who are in the forbidden city palace that determin future outcome. The very beggining foundation are the opening of 3 paths--wind, fire, and wather--on the torso. Then the 6 points(Liu Shen) along the path must united and compressed into one, at the same time the path would expend out into the space. As the infinitive inwards and infinitive outwards at the same time. the next thing is to have 6 openings (Liu Tong), that would give special abilities. And then the harmonizing with nature and planets(like moon, sun, mars...). Some time it was called stealing form the nature and planets.

Hi Paul :)

Well, My system is called Dayan Qigong, (Wild Goose Qigong). Currently my Tai Shigong (Yang Meijun) is the 27th generation inheritor of this Kunlun skill :) Actually i have only been learning from my Shifu for a few years, and am still learning the beginning things. I can explain some small things though :)

There are many different skills, said to be 72 different methods. Some are Qigong, some are meditation, fist, weapons, healing... it is a complete skill. As far as i know (so far), movements are relaxed and the qi goes where it needs to be to clear blockages and make you healthy. I know there are some specific skills based on things like the big dipper constellation (sp?), 5 elements, bagua, prenatal and postnatal qi etc. Apart form that i do not know very much... i am just learning.

Mainly i train my Ying Qigong and Wing Chun Kuen right now.
I can probably give you more information if you would like to PM me, or click on the website link below to see my Shigongs website :)

david

Braden
07-01-2002, 04:54 AM
HKV - Bagua incorporates turns away from the center as well.

Souljah
07-01-2002, 05:37 AM
can anyone tell me if the footwork i mentioned before was the same as the footwork you call circle walking.....on previous

from previous page -

"Circle walking? Im not sure what this refers to.....

If you mean semi-cirle like steps where you stand in a wide 1 leg forward stance, then move the back leg inward to meet the front, then move the same leg out so it becomes the front leg in the same stance only opposite.....(in a circular motion)
If this sounds the same please tell me, It's what my teacher calls semi-circle steps.
This is the most similar form to what your talking about i know. "

Brad
07-01-2002, 06:05 AM
Circle walking in Bagua is literally walking around a fixed point in a big circle. The Bagua guys could probably explain it better. What you're refering to is often called c steping in a lot of styles.

Braden
07-01-2002, 07:16 AM
Souljah - Circlewalking can be done with a variety of different stepping methods. It's not a stepping method in and of itself. So, no. :)

Souljah
07-01-2002, 09:16 AM
ohhhhhhhhhhh, thats what circle walking is, my teahcer does that

Braden
07-01-2002, 09:28 AM
What you're describing doesn't sound like circlewalking.

PaulLin
07-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Well, BaGua steps must be done like this to be considered a BaGua steps:

1. steps were composed of "bai bu" and "ko bu" althernatively. Ko bu has the foot toes pointed inward and bai bu has it outward.

2. The legs must be so called scissor legs, in which legs are so closed to eachother like a pair of scissor but not touching.

3. step must be so called mud step. In which one will always land with the front part of the foot. Feets must be also as soft and sticky like mud. And the ko bu leading foot will slid bit forward before land and stick to the ground.

4. In usual walking, the foot don't rise higher than ankle. During changing palms, foot high would change.

5. hips are always sit-in and sink, never pop up or out.

6. Nomatter how far legs were stretched, they will always attracted to eachother and not fall apart, so rather than feel like walk on 2 sticks, you should feel like walk with a pyramid base.

that is what I can tell you now off the top of my head. If your step fits all requirement, it is no different then BaGua step.

Braden
07-01-2002, 06:13 PM
"In which one will always land with the front part of the foot."

This isn't necessarily true. Tiger-stepping rolls from heel-to-toe. Snake-stepping is all at once, though with the sticking feeling it might be accurate to say the front part does something first.

"In usual walking, the foot don't rise higher than ankle."

Same here. In crane-stepping, the foot rises much higher. In snake-stepping it rises as little as possible. Tiger-stepping is moderate like this.

I don't think simply having these footwork methods means one is circlewalking. Circlewalking also has requirements for the whole body, and also means one is using a certain method to exercise the stepping and body requirements.

Mr Punch
07-01-2002, 07:30 PM
Somewhat offtopic, but I want to respond to Mat's tagline.

I don't think smaller people are more agile, but I suspect that they may have faster reflexes (because impulses don't have such a great distance of nerve tissue to travel) and more flexiblity (because torque doesn't exert so much force on the lengths of relatively short limbs and therefore tendons and ligaments don't have to have so high a tensile strength and can instead possess a greater extended length relative to their mass.) These advantages may create an impression of greater agility.

yours truly,
Lumbering Oaf

Chang, have you been on topic this thread??!!:D

Actually, I hadn't reallly thought about it in concrete terms, I just thought it was **** funny!

But, couple of questions... aren't the nerve cells in larger bodies correspondingly larger? Plus, do you really think that little difference in split seconds is really going to affect reflexes in a fight to any recognisable degree? And I'm sure the flexibility depends more on a genetic build factor than height... of course taller people may be more predisposed to have a larger build too...?

I confess I don't know :D!

Mr Punch
07-01-2002, 07:33 PM
By the way, I'm 6'1 and they used to call me 'The Rubber Man' in my dojo, but I'm stiffening up a little with age. I move slightly quicker than lightning :cool: :D !

Sorry, back to circle walking which I am interested in, but also know nothing about...

PaulLin
07-01-2002, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by Braden
"In which one will always land with the front part of the foot."

This isn't necessarily true. Tiger-stepping rolls from heel-to-toe. Snake-stepping is all at once, though with the sticking feeling it might be accurate to say the front part does something first.

"In usual walking, the foot don't rise higher than ankle."

Same here. In crane-stepping, the foot rises much higher. In snake-stepping it rises as little as possible. Tiger-stepping is moderate like this.

I don't think simply having these footwork methods means one is circlewalking. Circlewalking also has requirements for the whole body, and also means one is using a certain method to exercise the stepping and body requirements.

The earliest tracible master in BaGua--Dong HaiChuan--has taught his tudi all differently. My lineage came form Zhang ZhaoDong. I don't do tiger, snake, and crane steppings. We have the walking around and 8 prenatal pluse 8 postnatal palm changes. And the usual walk is just like what I have said. And I don't have time to list all requirements for BaGua circling, so I can only list the usual stepping form the top of my head. It would be very nice if you list the full requirements of circling.

Braden
07-02-2002, 12:07 AM
PaulLin - I didn't mean to imply any disagreement with your training. Your original post said "BaGua steps must be done like this to be considered a BaGua steps" which makes it sound like what you described is the only legitimate bagua stepping method. But of course, like you said, "Dong HaiChuan--has taught his tudi all differently." There are other legitimate methods, which is all I meant to suggest.

PaulLin
07-02-2002, 01:34 AM
PaulLin - I didn't mean to imply any disagreement with your training. Your original post said "BaGua steps must be done like this to be considered a BaGua steps" which makes it sound like what you described is the only legitimate bagua stepping method. But of course, like you said, "Dong HaiChuan--has taught his tudi all differently." There are other legitimate methods, which is all I meant to suggest.

I re-read my messages again, now I can see where you have got it. My English problems again:D I am just giving the step requirements of the BaGua style I am in, not intend to set a only legitimate bagua stepping method.

Hey, feel free to buzz me any time that happened. Thanks:)

dezhen2001
07-02-2002, 01:35 AM
good information on this thread :)

david

Souljah
07-02-2002, 05:05 AM
I have browsed the net, trying to find similarities between my style and the elements of bagua that are apparent.
I found 2 main things, - at certain points in the 3rd form we fall into the simple bagua stance described by PAULIN, and secondly circle walking, which my teacher practices regularly, and which I have done occasionally.....

ok got abit more info

our main stance after foundation level is the xing i/ hsing i stance which is always the starting and ending point of each form

I am on the 4th form at the moment, there are 5 barehand forms,
1 6ft staff ('bo'?) form, 1 broadsword and 1 straight/taiji sword form.
So in total 8 forms in this order.

I also practice with nunchakus, but as a side weapon, no form, only do drills

The 1st form consists of mainly hand techniques, the second mostly kicking and leg techniques, the 3rd incorporates both at an moderate level of difficulty, the 4th, like the 3rd incorporates both but on a higher level with balance being the key factor..... i have yet to learn how the 5th form breaks down.....

At the same time as learning 3rd, 4th and 5th forms, you learn the bo form and this is completed somwhere between 5th and '6th' form (nunchuku). The reason this form is done in tandem with bare hand forms 3, 4 and 5 is because the movements are quite similar and it helps build body strength (mostly arm and torso, which is essential for later forms.

A very important pair of exercises practiced for 3rd, 4th and with are handstand push-ups and 'wall dips'
(where you bend over backward and clibm down a wall eventually ending up in the 'crab stance', and then remaining there for as long as possible then climbing back up)

Souljah
07-02-2002, 05:13 AM
check out site -

www.shenwu.com

Braden
07-02-2002, 07:50 AM
PaulLin - No worries, sorry for the confusion.

Souljah - Sounds like an interesting style, although the japanese and external influences seem stronger than the chinese internal ones.

Souljah
07-02-2002, 07:59 AM
Eternal influences are evident toward the beginning of the style (1,2,3,4 form) however these are done initially as a set of movements and applications are shown, the internal side will kick in towards the end of the style when all forms must be done consecutively with breathing patterns implemented, using internal power to perfrom all forms 'properly'.

Braden, sorry, dont get what you mean by japanese influence?

Every1 else keep your styles coming!!!!!

dang 75 posts!!!:D

Braden
07-02-2002, 08:05 AM
Souljah - Coordinating breathing does not an internal style make. If you need arm strength for your forms, it sounds contrary to what the internal styles teach. Internal style forms also tend to (always that I've seen) start and finish with the wuji posture.

What do I mean by japanese influence? While the name of the style is japanese, you learn japanese weapons...

Souljah
07-02-2002, 09:32 AM
arm strength is for the 1st teaching of the form, as without exercising the back how can i how to do moves which are quite strenuous on the back without injury.....and arm strength is needed to do staff forms and latter forms....
Of course i dont account for the full meaning of internal arts when i say that it incorporates.
I havent gotten to the internal side of the arts as i have not progressed far enough, so how can i explain the features that in depth to you?
Like i mentioned before, i cannot give you an indepth review of the style, only my teacher can do so..... im not experianced enough.

When i say we go back to the forms and practise them on an internal level, i mean that instead of using brute force, internal energy is emphasized, and you and I both know that it many years before this internal energy can even be fathomed.....

The style, contrary to many peoples view that you cannot meld the 2, combines hard and soft elements of kung fu.

Japenese weapon?

Braden
07-02-2002, 09:55 AM
"The style, contrary to many peoples view that you cannot meld the 2, combines hard and soft elements of kung fu."

I've never heard this view before. Taijiquan is a combination of hard and soft - hence the name.

"Japenese weapon?"

Bo? Nunchucku?

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2002, 11:08 AM
Returning to the subject of size and agility, it's worth noting that different people flex differently regardless of their size. I'm above 6 foot tall, and my hips are only okay for flexibility, but I bend over backward into a bridge like it's almost nothing.

As to the difference in nerve length: yeah, in people the difference is probably going to be negligible. But one of the reasons small critters react so quickly is their nervous systems are so compact relative to us big fellas. Um, at least that's what I read in an article on the science of Spider Man. There may be better sources out there, come to think of it.:D

Souljah
07-02-2002, 12:49 PM
braden, i said bo as i dont know the real name for the weapon, we just call it a staff. and i assure you it is not japanese, as for the nunchukus , if u had read , then youd know that that is jus something we do for coodination. and it is not in the style.

Well what can i say about taiji, ok it mixes soft and hard, but there are many that believe that you cannot train both at the same time, not my view obviously, no need to start an arguement over nothing.

So there are no japanese elements.....that i know of in the system, not that that would be a bad thing, the nunchukus are obviously japanese, but like i said , i merely practise with them for coordination.....

back to you chang

keep em coming

Souljah
07-02-2002, 01:03 PM
Chang, i reckon you should post a thread on the topic of nerve=>brain distance, as i think you would get alot of feedback.....

this would be better than it being in this subject, sortof 'hidden' away as it is now

lol, if not cool, im not trying to get rid of you bro:D

buksing_king
07-03-2002, 02:57 AM
choy lay fut buk sing

long live the charp chui :D

Souljah
07-03-2002, 06:33 AM
Buksing,
What does your style involve?

Keep your styles coming, im trying to get an idea of the most common and least common styles, i know this will be hard considering how many members there are:D

gazza99
07-03-2002, 02:46 PM
Yang Taijiquan
Baguazhang
Xing-I chuan
and the Dim-mak applications within the arts......

Gary

taaigihk
07-03-2002, 03:06 PM
Chuojiaofanzi quan is my style :)

gazza99
07-03-2002, 03:09 PM
:)

Souljah
07-03-2002, 03:13 PM
taaigihk
could you tell us what the style involves.....?

Gazza,
any other views you would care to share about your styles.....?

Iknow Ihave created another thread for this, but if anyone knows anything or has had experiance in liuhapafa quan (and tell me how to pronounce it!!!!!!) could you please share this with us.

otherwise keep em' coming!!!!!

gazza99
07-03-2002, 03:47 PM
Like what Souljah? Many of my views are already on my website
www.pressurepointfighting.com

Gary

taaigihk
07-03-2002, 04:01 PM
Hi Souljah, chuojiaofanziquan is a complex style with chuojiao as its mother style and fanzi styles (da, xiao, yanqing, and cunshou fanzi) combined together. There is also ditang quan and kaozhanlian quan (animal-imitative form style put together) added to it. Lots of weapons. My teacher's teacher - Hong Zhitian learned some xinyiquan (Dai shi as I've heard) too and thus you find its influence in our chuojiaofanzi (or perhaps this influence is of other origin but looks like xingyi/xinyi to me :) ); there are some things in common witn bagua as well. With chuojiao as the "core" we have a lot of leg techniques but hands are very important as well. In fact the simultaneous use of hands and feet is very much stressed. The "short" jing or "trembling" jing is very representative of our style too, I guess. Strong shenfa. Movements are long and stretched during practice. Very, very much attention is put on the correct training of basics (jibengong). Also, there's no specific order in learning forms of the style - it depends on the teacher's idea on teaching the student. In short, very rich style. Anyways that is what I can tell you after about 8 months of practice :)

gazza99
07-03-2002, 04:02 PM
or did your teacher just make up this system?

taaigihk
07-03-2002, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by gazza99
or did your teacher just make up this system?

No, he didn't "make it up" :). As for the website - I don't know any. There are some "pure" chuojiao sites. Also you can find some articles on the web. If you read chinese you can find articles by Hong Zhitian and some notes about chuojiaofanzi by his teacher Wu Binlou. Also there's a series of 12 VCDs about chuojiaofanzi by Hong Zhitian available.

gazza99
07-03-2002, 04:20 PM
Just razzing you....have to keep the posts going!!!

BAAAAGWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

PaulLin
07-03-2002, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by gazza99
Yang Taijiquan
Baguazhang
Xing-I chuan
and the Dim-mak applications within the arts......

Gary

How good in Dim-mak are you? And what is the best Dim-mak you have seen?:)

gazza99
07-03-2002, 04:27 PM
Ive used it in real combat, and Im very accurate with a moving non-cooperative opponent.
Best ive seen? hmmm...montaigues stuff, many others have the points correct (Dillman, Moneymaker..etc.., ) but they are not fluid...
Gary

Souljah
07-04-2002, 05:20 AM
good

so gazza and taaigihk, how long have you been studying MA?

ps- checked out the site gazza, not bad.....):cool:

taaigihk
07-04-2002, 08:57 AM
good

so gazza and taaigihk, how long have you been studying MA?

ps- checked out the site gazza, not bad.....):cool:

I started in 1985, but intensity of my training varied greatly in different periods :)

apeters28
07-04-2002, 01:04 PM
Li Jia Dao Chan

JusticeZero
07-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Style is: Capoeira Angola (Afro-Brazilian traditional art)

Souljah
07-04-2002, 01:59 PM
The first capoeira post, im quite surprised.....

Justicezero, could you tell me about the fundemental drills and techniques practiced.....

taaigihk, also like many people on this forum have been training 10 years +, do you consider yourself experienced enough to teach?

and that marks 100 posts:D :D :D
Afeat only about 10 of the 400 or so posts have reached, very nice..... hehehe:cool: :cool: :cool: :D :cool:

ChiWarrior
07-04-2002, 02:10 PM
Northern Shaolin, Wushu.

taaigihk
07-04-2002, 02:13 PM

taaigihk, also like many people on this forum have been training 10 years +, do you consider yourself experienced enough to teach?

No, Souljah, absolutely not :) In fact, I've just found the right teacher myself.

JusticeZero
07-04-2002, 02:23 PM
Much ginga interspersed into everything (basic footwork pattern 'stance' - we're never ever stationary. Asian stylists try to develop their ability to hold a static horse stance. We work on our ability to conserve and retain energy in a perpetual movement attitude.), lots of kicking, primarily of the large circular variety with some linear thrust kicks added in, usually in paired drills where the other person is doing evasions and footwork patterns to go under or around the kicks, set bait for new kicks, and come up with their own kicks or leg takedowns, generally structured so that no one side is consistantly the 'attacking' side for the whole sequence. These drills are usually drilled hard for a class and then forgotten, there's a very large number of combinations of movements that can be done and it's not good to be stuck in a pattern.
A lot of variations of cartwheel-type movement with different defensive and offensive aspects of either the movement or the exit from the movement emphasized.
Music practice with berimbau (musical bow), pandeiro (tamborine), agogo, reco-reco, and vocal in Portuguese (the vocal must be done with the instrumental).
Twitchy little variants on basic kicks that twist into new forms and attack at different angles.
Practice with assorted techniques involving tumbling through interesting angles. Practice dropping through the air and landing through cartwheel and handstand variants in attack positions.

Souljah
07-04-2002, 02:43 PM
sounds very interesting justice, I have no knowledge of capoeira myself, have only seen it demonstrated a few times, ever heard of a guy called Anthony Atkins, Im not sure whether it was capoeira he was doing but it looked similar.
Ialso saw a form by a guy named Tankson, again i dont know whether it was straight capoeira or a mixture as he involved alot of karate-style attacks.
Are there any grading systems, and what is the typical period before one completes the style?????

taaigihk, How come you have had difficulty finding a good teacher?

Braden
07-04-2002, 02:46 PM
"Asian stylists try to develop their ability to hold a static horse stance."

We do? :confused:

Souljah
07-04-2002, 02:48 PM
keep posting your styles, and the more rare please add a little info, would like to hear about any styles that i am unaware of:) .
Soon i'll start making a tally of styles (yea when i get like 200 more posts:eek: )

Souljah
07-04-2002, 02:53 PM
yes braden is right, (did i say that??? , jks braden:D ;) )

this is not a typical asian style , to be 'static', asian styles focus on the stances being fixed (initially) to help build balance and strengthen muscles involved/used in the stance.
I will leave the rest to my good friend braden to enlighten you:rolleyes: :cool: .....

JusticeZero
07-04-2002, 03:03 PM
"Asian stylists try to develop their ability to hold a static horse stance."
We do? :confused: Some do. Those Asian arts I know of which make heavy use of deep and low stances have more than a little concern with developing ability in their static positions. Since we also use a deep position, we also must develop this ability, however, our 'stance' is based in constant motion, hence we have to focus on completely different attributes in order to be able to maintain it for long periods of time without undue strain.

ever heard of a guy called Anthony Atkins, Im not sure whether it was capoeira he was doing but it looked similar.
Ialso saw a form by a guy named Tankson, again i dont know whether it was straight capoeira or a mixture as he involved alot of karate-style attacks.I don't recognize either name, sorry.
Are there any grading systems, and what is the typical period before one completes the style????? Yes, but they vary wildly from school to school and are not universally used. In what sense do you refer to "completing"?

taaigihk
07-04-2002, 03:14 PM

taaigihk, How come you have had difficulty finding a good teacher?

Do you think it is easy to find a good teacher of authentic kung fu?
It is not too easy in China, let alone Poland 15 years ago... :)

Souljah
07-05-2002, 02:47 AM
sorry taaigihk, didnt think to look where u where from.....

Justice, by completing I mean, finishing any forms (if there are any) and generally being taught a large amount (if not all) of your teachers knowledge on the art.....

Some do. Those Asian arts I know of which make heavy use of deep and low stances have more than a little concern with developing ability in their static positions. Since we also use a deep position, we also must develop this ability, however, our 'stance' is based in constant motion, hence we have to focus on completely different attributes in order to be able to maintain it for long periods of time without undue strain.

developing a deep and low stance is the attempt to lower the center of gravity. Thus a greater balance can be learned maintained.
"little concern with developing ability in their static positions" what do you mean by developing....?

Hau Tien
07-05-2002, 06:05 AM
Seven Stars Praying Mantis and Luk Hup Ba Fa (Liu He Ba Fa in Mandarin) here.

Not sure what you want to know about LHBF... I've been studying just under two years now... might be able to answer whatever specific questions you might have, although there is likely others on here that could better than I.

Souljah
07-05-2002, 01:25 PM
YES!
Someone who studies LHBF, firstly , could you tell me how to pronounce it (phonetics).

Secondly could you tell me what your style involves, a brief history would be nice.
I'd like to get a little datbase runnin in this thread..... with many styles listed and somewhat introduced.....all i know so far is LHBF is a northern internal style (am i right?)
Any info would be most appreciated, not by just me, but by abyone wishing to know about the style.....:D :cool:

Souljah
07-05-2002, 04:09 PM
a friend of mine has just signed on to the forum and will be able to give you more info on rei (our style)

Hau Tien
07-05-2002, 05:50 PM
I believe the best source of the history of the style was given in an earlier link (http://www.liuhopafa.com). There is also someone here who trains with the current head of the style... he would likely be the best qualified to answer, but I shall try my best.

First, pronounciation... In Cantonese it is Luk (Luck) Hup (Hup) Ba (Bah) Fa (Fah). In Mandarin it would be Liu (Leeoo) He (Hu - but not with a long U) Ba (Bah) Fa (Fah). And of course, the English name is Six Harmonies Eight Methods (I've also seen reference to it as Water Boxing).

The main of the style (as I study it) consists of a single empty hand form and a broadsword form. A gim form has been added, but was nto a part of the style originally. I make sure to specify as I study it, as I have spoken with other LHBF practitioners (the one I spoke of earlier) and there are some differences. I will attempt to explain the form as best I can (But for information on the style in it's most current form, the link above is the best source).

It is long... two hundred moves. It is taught in two sections... "Part 1", which is 112 moves and "Part 2" which is 88 moves. The gim form is then taught... it is 100 moves. I am not sure about the broadsword form, as I have not learned it yet.

Of main interest is the empty hand form, I suppose. With two hundred moves, it is quite versatile. There are different animals imitated in the form... crane, snake, bear, rooster, dragon, phoenix, tiger, monkey, and likely more I'm forgetting.

The style is internal, yes. I believe it originated in the north as well.

There was a link to some videos in an earlier link... while similar in some respects to the beginning of the form I know, when I showed it to my Sifu, he shook his head and laughed. And that was just like the first 8 or 9 moves of the form. I guess he wasn't too impressed. The student I spoke of earlier also said that the form bears a resemblance to the "real" LHBF, but is different.

In any case... hope I have answered some of your questions.

Souljah
07-06-2002, 03:29 AM
Yes Hau Tien thank you very much for the insight.
Sounds like a very interesting style, only wish I could see it in person, I live in the UK and it is very unlikey that there is a LHBF practitioner locally (or in the whole country!!!!!!)

The form sounds very interesting (200 movements!!!!!:eek: )

When you say moves do you mean single moves, or combinations?
So I take that you have finished these forms.

Keep your styles coming.....:D

Souljah
07-07-2002, 05:42 AM
styles..............?:D

Hau Tien
07-07-2002, 09:56 AM
200 single movements. It's a long form.

If done nice and slow, Part 1 can take 10 minutes (or more) alone.

I've finished Part 1 and Part 2 (The full 200), and the Gim form (That is not really a part of the system, but was added in somewhere in the lineage I take). There is still a broadsword form... no one at the school I'm at has learned it so far, so far as I know. I'm hoping he'll start me and my fiancee on it in September. I've got a nice Dao I picked up while in Taiwan I've been aching to learn to use, and I've got another weapon form to go in my 7* PM before I get to use a dao:)

PaulLin
07-07-2002, 04:50 PM
styles..............?:D

You are so greedy!!!:D

Okami
07-08-2002, 12:02 AM
Kokyuto Bujutsu

It is an ecclectic style focusing on combat effective technique.
The thing that seems to set us apart from other styles that claim to have the same focus is that we practice forms or kata.

It is a unique blend of Chinese, Okinawan, and American MAs.

Souljah
07-08-2002, 03:45 AM
lol @ paulin :p

First japanese style i think we have had Okami.....

keep em' coming.....:D

Malcolm
07-08-2002, 04:58 PM
Hi I also study the same style as Souljah, known(or not known) as Rei. If you have been reading the past posts on Rei you will have read that a friend has just signed on, I am him. You would have also read that there are different levels to this style, as in most styles of Kung Fu which do not yield to western grading systems for example belts, I am an advanced student. If you have any questions on the style please feel free to ask. Forgive me for not answering any questions prior to this post on Rei due to my account only recently being activated.

JusticeZero
07-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Justice, by completing I mean, finishing any forms (if there are any) and generally being taught a large amount (if not all) of your teachers knowledge on the art.....There are no forms. My mestre in Seattle is still learning new material from Mestre No, and he's been training for quite awhile - I don't know that there's a clear demarcation point.
"concern with developing ability in their static positions" what do you mean by developing....? Cultivating, in strength, structure, and focus, the ability to enter and maintain a deep stance with excellent form without strain. We are also deep, but we have to focus on -dynamic- kinesthetics rather than static structure, because at no point are we not in motion.

Souljah
07-09-2002, 08:36 AM
Justice

Well the whole Idea behind practicing 'sitting' in stances is to develop them as you have said

Cultivating, in strength, structure, and focus, the ability to enter and maintain a deep stance with excellent form without strain ..... these are the same reasons kung fu practitioner practice their stances so often are they not? They are static as I have stated before the bodys balance must be maximised which takes alot of hard work, discipline and practise. This will help in future moves to be learnt. (I'm sure "my right honourable friend" Malcolm will have something to say about this matter) :D :D

JusticeZero
07-09-2002, 09:39 AM
Well, those are supposed to be the reasons you guys practice those. For us, it's closer to "Cultivating, in aerobic endurance, strength, moving structure, balance, and relaxation, the ability to ginga, stepping deeply and without stopping or falling out of tempo, with excellent form without strain" because our "stance" is never static, even in theory. We move the focus of movement around sometimes, and that's basically it.

Sho
07-09-2002, 11:17 AM
I study Choy Lay Fat (Chan Family).

Malcolm
07-09-2002, 03:11 PM
I agree about stances they are vital. The long, low stances and the time you spend in them are important. These are fundamental to most, if not all, forms of Kung Fu. Even in soft style for example the bow and arrow stance and the low single whip stance are good for development in the legs to improve strength. If you read history on Hung Gar you will discover that people used to stay in the house stance until an incense stick burnt out. In addition of an individual who was known for his shadowless kick due to his strength in his legs. Can any Hung Gar specialists help me out with this individual's name.

One more thing more information on Choy Li Fut Kung Fu please. I know of the history, for example Master Chan Heung being the founder of it. Please more info on the actual system and how it is taught.

Leto
07-09-2002, 03:28 PM
HA! You don't need to be a Hung Gar practicioner to know who is famous for the shadowless kick...WONG FEI HUNG! There've only been over a hundred films made about this Chinese folk hero. Jet Li did the latest portayal, in the 'Once Upon a Time in China' series. Check it out! :) (though I don't think the 'shadowless kick' really looked like it does in the movies! ;) )

Souljah
07-09-2002, 03:37 PM
"Wong Fei-Hung was born in 1847, and passed away in 1924. He was a martial arts master, teacher, healer, and revolutionary. He would protect and help those who were weak and defenseless. Wong Kay-Ying was his father, and he was a physician and great martial arts master also, and part of a group known as the "Ten Tigers of Kwantung," and he and his son lived in the city of Canton.

Wong Kay-Ying's famous medical clinic was Po Chi Lam, and Wong Fei-Hung was there assisting his father. He learned traditional Chinese medicine, and also learned many important values such as generosity and compassion. Wong Kay-Ying always treated a patient, even if he or she was a complete jerk or was poor. He would also secretly treat revolutionaries who were the resistance against the corrupt Ch'ing Dynasty.

The Ch'ing Dynasty consisted of Manchu emperors, who had conquered China from there home in Manchuria. They were foreign invaders to the southern Chinese. The southern Shaolin Temple in Fukien was a place where revolutionaries would go to train to fight against the Manchus. The temple was destroyed in 1734, but the few monks and students who escaped traveled throughout China to teach their skills. Some styles such as Wing Chun (Bruce Lee's original style) and Hung Gar Kung Fu (Wong Fei-Hung's style) emerged. The creator of Hung Gar was Hung Hei-Kwun (another martial arts master that was portrayed by Jet Li in New Legend of Shaolin). He was a Fukien tea merchant.

Wong Fei-Hung's martial arts training began when he met with his father's teacher, Luk Ah Choi. Luk Ah Choi taught Wong Fei-Hung the basics of Hung Gar. After, Wong Kay-Ying took over his son's training. By his early 20's, Wong Fei-Hung had made a name for himself as a dedicated physician and a martial arts prodigy. In addition to becoming a master of hung gar, he created the tiger-crane form and added fighting combinations now known as the "nine special fists." Wong Fei-Hung was also skilled with many weapons, especially the long wooden staff and the southern tiger fork. One occasion where he utilised his skill with the staff was when he defeated a thirty-man gang on the docks of Canton. He also protected the weak and poor from both criminal gangs and government forces.

However, his life was not all great joy and triumphs. Wong Fei-Hung's son, Wong Hawn-Sum, followed his father's foot steps by protecting the weak and poor of Canton. Unfortunately, he was killed in the 1890's after being gunned down by the drug gang Dai Fin Yee. After this tragedy, Wong Fei-Hung vowed never to teach his remaining 9 sons martial arts, unless they were targets themselves.

Also, Wong Fei-Hung's first three wives died young, and after, decided to live the rest of his life alone. But in 1903, during an outdoor martial arts demonstration, he met a 16 year old girl named Mok Gwai Lan, and asked for her hand in marriage. She was also a skilled martial artist who taught all of the women's classes, and even taught some of the men's classes, which was rare since hardly any women mastered kung fu at the time. In 1924, Wong Fei-Hung died peacefully, a happy and humble man.

Wong Fei-Hung is truly a hero of China. A hero is somebody noted for feats of courage. A hero does righteous things not for money, not for any other venal motivations except, for the benefit of everybody else. "

Not My writing of course, just a common short biography of the man i thought you guys would like to see.....

taaigihk
07-10-2002, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Malcolm
If you have any questions on the style please feel free to ask.

Hi, what is the meaning of "rei", or better, what chinese character/s is it written with? Thanks.

Malcolm
07-10-2002, 04:16 PM
Sorry but I do not know of any translations of the meaing of Rei and definitely not chinese characters. I will try and find out from my teacher the meaning of the word and the characters, but during my training this is not of very much interest to me, the meaing of the actual word. This is way I do not know the meaning of the word sorry. Any more questions on Rei.

TaoBoy
07-10-2002, 11:03 PM
Man, there are just so many styles!
It's great to read what you all study.

BTW - I study Hok Se Tong Long (http://www.melbkungfu.com).

Leto
07-11-2002, 06:37 AM
In Japanese, Rei means 'bow', like when you bow before class begins. I don't know what the character is, though. In Chinese and Japanese, words may sound very similar, but have a different character and mean things completely different.

taaigihk
07-11-2002, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by Leto
In Japanese, Rei means 'bow', like when you bow before class begins. I don't know what the character is, though. In Chinese and Japanese, words may sound very similar, but have a different character and mean things completely different.

I just wanted to know what is the meaning of this particular "rei".
Rei doesn't sound chinese, but this is a cma, I believe, so it is either a strange transcription or a japanese pronunciation of a chinese name (or even the Japanese may have renamed it..)
I was just curious. Thanks anyway.. :)

Souljah
07-11-2002, 09:01 AM
As malcolm has said we will find out from our master, I have been trying to find the meaning of the word everywhere but to no avail.....:( only found the japanese meaning 'bow'/'respect'/'courtesy' as leto has already mentioned.
Anyway our teacher is back now so we can ask him, and we will inform you as soon as we know:D

Please keep posting your styles and some info on them.....:)

Malcolm
07-11-2002, 03:22 PM
You guys got any information on Choy Li Fut ? Forms, training, origin and so on.

Serpent
07-11-2002, 05:10 PM
Try www.clfma.com and www.buksing.com

Martial Joe
07-11-2002, 05:18 PM
Wing Chun & Wrestling...I am interested in submissions also...

Malcolm
07-11-2002, 05:54 PM
Why are you so interested in Wing Chun may I ask? Also if you study it hao long have you been studying it for and how for into it are you.

Braden
07-11-2002, 06:00 PM
Malcolm, can you tell us anything about your style? How it was developed, how you train, etc?

Like I mentioned before, as a baguazhang stylists, I'd be particularly interested to hear how bagua became incorporated into your style, and what methods from it you specifically use in your training / what impact it has had.

Braden
07-12-2002, 03:04 PM
ttt

Malcolm
07-14-2002, 05:35 AM
In Rei there is some pa kua walking at the end of the final form and the push forward fix position from the eight fix positions during the same form.

The mean thing I am interested with soft style students is if they can actual apply their knowledge. Braden as you being a pa kua specialist I ask you if you can use your style for its true purpose and how long you have been training? This is because you call yourself a specialist. It would be nice if you can tell me your Lineage as well because for some reason martial artists do not take specialists seriously if they do not have Lineage.

Braden
07-14-2002, 10:02 AM
Malcolm - I've made no claims at expertise, and assure you I am only a beginner; though my training orientation is martial, if that is what you are asking. My bagua style is that from the earlier teachings of Jiang Rong Qiao.

I'd be interested in hearing the history of how bagua became encoporated into your style, and which lineage it is as well. Do you find it contributes much to your skill? I enjoy the static posture circlewalking more than any other solo practice, myself.

Malcolm
07-14-2002, 05:23 PM
My teacher is a soft style specialist and trains in the three common soft styles. I'm sorry but I can not talk about lineage until I become an internal student, traditional things. Due to my teacher having this knowledge in the soft arts he teachers aspects of these arts during training. It is hard to say how these aspects were first incorporated into Rei. This is because Rei was created before my teacher was born. So by my teacher learning Rei lead him to become interested in the soft arts due to it being rich in elements of bagua and other soft styles.

About how Bagua contributes to my skill. I find the style’s walking around a central object very helpful. Also the concept of looking at ways in which an opponent can attack in a 360 degrees range interests me and helps a lot when against multiple attackers.

PaulLin
07-14-2002, 05:32 PM
Rei? Is it Chinese? I can't come up with any word form this pronounciation. What is the charactor made of? How it was wrote in Chinese?

Malcolm
07-14-2002, 05:37 PM
Indeed it is Chinese. The questions about the characters have been asked before, this is an area I do not know about. I will find out more about the name and meaning next time I see my teacher.

Braden
07-14-2002, 06:45 PM
Malcolm - I'm not sure I understand your comments on tradition and lineage, but I'm glad to meet another who enjoys bagua practice.

Do you walk the circle and/or do any standing posts, or does it come out in your styles formwork? (are there alot of forms in the style?) I find those are the most enjoyable/useful solo exercises. I know what you mean about 360o; in terms of paired exercises, my favorites are paired circlewalking of course, and also an exercise where we use cross-stepping and transforming from wuji to the basic walking posture to respond to pressure from any angle. It's fun stuff!

Souljah
10-14-2002, 12:50 PM
bringing this topic back to see if the new joiners will contribute,

So I say again.....

WHAT STYLE DO YOU PRACTICE???

Losttrak
10-14-2002, 01:34 PM
My Jhong Law Horn
Mizong
Mah Jhong Lo Han
MiChung

like 80 diff ways to say it...

Lost Track to me...

www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com

Souljah
10-14-2002, 01:36 PM
my aunty and cousin live there.

Style looks interesting Losttrak, how long have you studied?

BeiTangLang
10-14-2002, 01:57 PM
Northern 7*Mantis WHF Linneage.

I have been observing this thead for several months, & waiting for the answers of what does Rei mean, what are the characters & others. Post from months ago stated you would answer after asking your teacher; Do you not see your instructor very often?
Best Wishes,
~BTL

WinterPalm
10-14-2002, 02:05 PM
I study a southern system of kung fu called Hak Fu Pai.

Souljah
10-14-2002, 02:13 PM
BeiTangLang

Sorry to have kept you waiting....hehe:D .

We do see our instructor regularly however, recently he has been in china and now he has gone to do military service in his homeland. I did not have a chance to ask him while he was here and I had to go abroad shortly after his return from china
I will do when he gets back in 2 weeks, definately, as he is going to be around for a while after that.

All is not lost however as his assistant is teaching us, and im polishing my forms.....

IN Japanese, "Rei" means anything from a salute, to an example, to zero, to a name, to "spirit" or "soul.

I would like to think it is something similar, however our style as far as i know is fully chinese and this may have no significance....:(

BeiTangLang
10-14-2002, 03:39 PM
I do not mean to be disrespectful to you or your fellow student, but it seems odd to me that so many would join a school basicly blind to what is being taught & not even know the meaning of the name of the system you are learning. I have done a little research & have found no system existing in China resembling that name; so I am very curious as to its origin. I also do not quite understand the secretive nature of the linneage as, so far, even the people I have spoken with from other styles & in China itself seem open & even anxious <sp> to let you know that their linneage is well established & historicly reccognizeable through public record (even if they are listed as a "club" or "society").
I will be watching this for a while longer, but if it goes on too long, sorry but the answer to the questions have a life of only so long.

Thank you for your post & your reply,
Best Wishes,
~BTL

Souljah
10-14-2002, 04:22 PM
You'll find it very hard to find, even if you research.
There are only a few practitioners who have 'mastered' the style, and I cannot give you enough information, I am not as close with my master as I would like, but then again i have not asked him any of these questions for the simple reason of learning now what I can reflect on later. I will gradually learn about my style....and my intent is not to represent my style as terms of giving all its historical background and spreading the word at this point.... like i said as i learn the style, I get to know the background, my teacher is very efficient in this way..... first I will master the style before getting in depth about history.

but it seems odd to me that so many would join a school basicly blind to what is being taught

By no means is it this way..... I came initially to learn kickboxing, as this was what was advertised, but kickboxing only goes so far, and after learning the basics you move to the kung fu aspect of our style.....which we are told about.

What I can tell you a little about is my master and his lineage....
He practices tai chi (daoist/ dao chi - decended from the man himself san shen feng) hsing i, and ba gua.....
He also knows our style which incorporates these three also - rei.
His teacher of rei has passed however there are a few in his generation who have mastered the style.

His Brother is also a martial artist, Hung Gar to be precise.
He and his brother were taught by the student of the 'butcher' (portrayed in ONCE APON A TIME IN CHINA - Lam Sai-wing i think) who as you may know was one of wong fei hongs disciples.

I hope this has given you enough for now, as for you watching this thread, I will continue as long as people reply, and that does not seem to be receding.

:D :D

soul

dezhen2001
10-14-2002, 08:11 PM
Hi Souljah...

ur profile says ur in London UK... where abouts do you train Rei? is there a website or any other information on it? Would be interested to find out more as i often go down to London :)

Right now i'm in the west midlands...

dawood

Souljah
10-15-2002, 05:55 AM
hey dezhen. Just read your post here after asking you a q in other thread which you have answered here :mad: :D

We train in east London, you know hackney?
No website as of yet, but i'm trying to make one and should be online within the next 6 months (need to get alot of info from my teacher).

You can always come to the place if your nearby, we train on tuesdays and thursdays (and sundays in the park - though we'll probably be changing sunday venue as the weather is terrible
:( )
Right now my teacher is doing military service but will be back in about 2 weeks (have i already said this?)

Hope this helps you

soul

WTJune
10-15-2002, 06:12 AM
Wing Chun here... (LT linage) for 9 month now....

Ciao
June

neptunesfall
10-15-2002, 06:45 AM
bao din shuai chiao
n. shaolin
ch'ang style taichi

Souljah
10-15-2002, 06:59 AM
good good , can you say how long you've trained please, it jus makes it more interesting :D

soul

neptunesfall
10-15-2002, 07:56 AM
going on 5 yrs?
i don't remember exactly when i started, i'd have to go and look at some documents to give you an exact.

Souljah
10-15-2002, 12:09 PM
good, so far the most mentioned have been wing chun (as expected) and northern mantis..... not surprising these are the most popular as they each have a indiviual forum on this site :D :cool:

lotusleaf
10-15-2002, 03:59 PM
My Jhong Law Horn

Ben Gash
10-15-2002, 04:28 PM
Ten Years in total. Choy Li Fut and Yang style Taijiquan for the last 7 years.

lotusleaf
10-15-2002, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Losttrak
My Jhong Law Horn
Mizong
Mah Jhong Lo Han
MiChung

like 80 diff ways to say it...

Lost Track to me...

www.leeswhiteleopardkungfu.com

Sweet..another MJLH practitioner. So hard to come by this style..it's so rare. Glad to see another on this board.

lotusleaf
10-15-2002, 05:32 PM
Been doing this for just under a year.

http://www.leeskungfu.com/myjhong.htm

omegapoint
10-15-2002, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by BeiTangLang
Northern 7*Mantis WHF Linneage.

I have been observing this thead for several months, & waiting for the answers of what does Rei mean, what are the characters & others. Post from months ago stated you would answer after asking your teacher; Do you not see your instructor very often?
Best Wishes,
~BTL

Hmm, "Rei!" is the Japanese command for "Bow!" How does this relate to chuan fa?

iron thread
10-15-2002, 09:10 PM
Hsing-I, Yang Tai Chi

Souljah
10-16-2002, 07:28 AM
omega, dont know what chuan fa is..... can u tell me

BeiTangLang
10-16-2002, 08:38 AM
He's asking you how the Japanese term to "Bow" related to the way the system fights. Most styles are named by their "totem"/inspiration for their art.
That is what I am guessing he is saying/asking.
~BTL

Sho
10-16-2002, 09:21 AM
chuan = fist (pinyin: quan)
fa = method or Buddhist teaching

GeneChing
10-16-2002, 09:34 AM
Right now I'm studying Xingyi and O-mei, but my heart belongs to Songshan Shaolin and Bak Sil Lum.

brothernumber9
10-16-2002, 11:01 AM
learning hung fut (hung kuen fut jeong) a blend of hung ga and fut ga

Souljah
10-16-2002, 11:20 AM
thanks for the input.....
I dont know how the name relates to the style, if it follows the japanese meaning for bow it doesnt really make sense.....:confused:

BeiTangLang
11-01-2002, 11:03 AM
So,..Has it been 2 weeks yet?

Malcolm
11-01-2002, 12:42 PM
No.

Jabb
11-01-2002, 02:45 PM
I start Choy Lee Fut (Chen family style) next monday :)

omegapoint
11-02-2002, 06:35 PM
BTL and Sho: you are both on point and thanks! Good looking out!!

psycho monk
11-02-2002, 07:20 PM
I study psycho kung fu :p

cha kuen
11-02-2002, 08:11 PM
I am studying wing chun. =]

-cha kuen
http://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&userid=taichimaster06&include=0&since=-1&sort=3&rows=25

SifuAbel
11-03-2002, 03:36 AM
Sung family Long Fist (Southern Branch)
Pek Kwar
Northern Shaolin
Tai chi, Yang, Combined
Hua Shan Pai Chi Gung

Purjo
11-03-2002, 06:16 AM
I study a southern shaolin system called Lam Siu Lam Ehm Yeng Kuen.

David Jamieson
11-03-2002, 07:10 AM
Southern and Northern Shaolin.
Yang Taijiquan.

peace

guohuen
11-03-2002, 11:10 AM
Currently, Ha Say Fu Hung Gar and Non Abusive Physical Intervention (N.A.P.I.) Formerly Sinawali Escrima, Judo, Shotokan, Jiu Jutsu, Ulu and U.S. Army Combatives, FM 21-150.

SevenStar
11-03-2002, 11:29 AM
ulu?

guohuen
11-03-2002, 11:34 AM
Ulu is Eskimo knife fighting.

BeiTangLang
11-07-2002, 02:58 PM
Oct 16th .......2 weeks from then....you still out there Soulja? Intrest is fading but still there....

Souljah
11-08-2002, 03:52 PM
yep im still here....

i cannot tell you sorry.....like many parts of our style it is kept secret and i cant unveil a vast amount for just 'anyone' to see.

This is the reason you cannot find anything about our style online...the masters do not wish to commercialise it like so many styles have been.

So i guess your interest will continue to fade.....

soul

SevenStar
11-08-2002, 04:09 PM
could you PM it perhaps? then you pick who you show it to.

IMO however, secrecy in the MA has been played out. there should be no secrets in the age of information. Especially when those secrets may be the difference between you surviving or not.

quiet man
11-09-2002, 10:03 AM
Wing Chun Kung Fu

Souljah
11-09-2002, 11:31 AM
nice to see people are still replying to the original question the thread posed.....

Wing chun is still on top

keep going if you can

soul

African Tiger
11-09-2002, 12:34 PM
Well I may as well chime in

Currently:
5 Animal, 5 Family, Tao Tan Pai Kung Fu and Qi Gung
"Ed Parker" Kenpo
Kenpo-Jujitsu
Lima Lama (Polynesian art - blend of Internal Kung Fu, Karate, and lost Samoan art)

Soon:
Chen Style Tai Chi
Hsing-I
Bagua

Past:
TKD - "take your dough"
Karotty
WKKA Kickboxing
Judo
Jeet Kune Do - Progressive Fighting Systems
Aikido
Greco-Roman and Freestyle Wrestling (HS)

BeiTangLang
11-09-2002, 02:06 PM
yep im still here....

i cannot tell you sorry.....like many parts of our style it is kept secret and i cant unveil a vast amount for just 'anyone' to see.

This is the reason you cannot find anything about our style online...the masters do not wish to commercialise it like so many styles have been.

So i guess your interest will continue to fade.....

soul

LOL! Thats what I was waiting for; Glad you didn't let me down.
Thanks for the Info!
Best Wishes,
~BTL

African Tiger
11-10-2002, 06:20 PM
Al Garza's Matrix System. It's bad, baby.

Iron Wrist
11-11-2002, 08:18 AM
Hising-i is my first but i am slowly learning Zui Quan. Tao;)

jmd161
11-11-2002, 09:09 AM
I currently study Hak Fu Moon (Black Tiger) not Fu Jow Pai though.

I've in the past studied.
1.Cheung Kune Pai-Sung Style Longfist
2.Bak Sil Lum-Northern Shaolin
3.Nisie Go Ju Ryu-Karate

jmd161:)

Souljah
11-11-2002, 02:45 PM
iron wrist, how long have you been learning hsing-i? jus wanted to know how long it takes in general as i hear its the shortest of the internals.

jmd161 - what does black tiger incorporate?

jmd161
11-11-2002, 04:05 PM
jmd161 - what does black tiger incorporate?

Souljah,

Black Tiger is very close to Hung Gar like Fu Jow Pai ,but unlike Fu Jow Pai we are not srtickly Southern.Black Tiger is a mixture of Northern and Southern Shaolin fighting systems.To best describe Black Tiger is to picture the best of Hung Gar,Choy Lay Fut,Bak Sil Lum (N.Shaolin),Hung Fut,Wing Chun,Eagle Claw,Tai Shing Pek Kwar,Dragon Pek Kwar,8 Drunken Immortals, and Chin Na rolled into one style.Then you have some idea of what Black Tiger incorporates.

Hope this helps some?

Black Tiger has over 80 empty hand forms and about 25 weapons forms that include.

1.War Cymballs Form
2.Chinese Handcuffs Form
3.Horse Bench Form
4Chopsticks and Bowl Form

Souljah
11-11-2002, 05:01 PM
cool, thanks for the info..... how old is the style?

jmd161
11-11-2002, 05:42 PM
I know my Sigung learned it around 1920 form a former Shaolin monk named Fung Ping-Wai who was the styles 3rd Grandmaster.Soo Hak Fu was the Shaolin Monk that created the style.It was said to be the highest level of Shaolin training.A person needed a solid foundation in kung fu before learning Black Tiger because it's an very advanced style.Infact my Sigung Grandmaster Wong Cheung created the first three forms taught with the help of his teacher.To help prepare a person for Black Tiger training.

Black Tiger has some tough training methods.We use dummies made of Wood,Cement,and Iron.The most famous dummy in Black Tiger is The Grinder Dummy.It's 10ft tall made of Cement with two rows of moving arms made of iron and four legs made of iron.We bang almost every part of our body against this dummy.We also have the 108 plumblossom dummy.If you read Kung Fu Qigong Magazine my Sifu and pictures of Grandmaster Wong Cheung are in the Mar/Apr and Jul/Aug 2001 issues with The Grinder Dummy and the 108 plumblossom dummy

We have the iron arms,legs,and body like Hung Gar ,but also have longrange techniques like Northern Shaolin.It's the most complete style i've ever seen.We train like the old days.No fancy stuff just combat applications.Every from is an complete attack from all angles.We also have an One Armed From called Dan Sao.It's designed to help you win a fight even if you've lost an arm in battle.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

Souljah
11-11-2002, 07:41 PM
thnx for that.....sounds like a pretty slick style, do you know if there are any disciples teaching outside the US? I dont mean just back in China but europe etc?

well wadya know that makes 200!

jmd161
11-11-2002, 08:08 PM
So far i've found a Sidai of my Sifu's in Hong Kong who travels to Texas very often.I found a Hung Gar teacher in Australia that learned Hung Gar from Grandmaster Wong Cheung.Sigung Wong Cheung was a Hung Gar Master as well as a master of other styles.

I'm still looking everyone kinda lost touch as they left Hong Kong.If i find anything out i'll be sure to let you know.We're getting ready to take some pictures for Real Kung Fu Magazine they're doing a story on Black Tiger with my Sifu Two of my Sihings and me in it.

Iron Wrist
11-12-2002, 08:09 AM
About a year and a half of solid training. Tao;)

Souljah
11-12-2002, 09:41 AM
huh?????

GOLDEN ARMOR
11-14-2002, 06:58 AM
jmd161,

you are very lucky to be learning the rare Black Tiger style especially the way ur sifu is teaching it. I got those two kung fu magz ur sifu was in, looks like a very cool style, I would luv to learn it. My mate trains Hung Gar & he told me his sifu taught him some of the Black Tiger applications from his Hung forms. He said they were very aggressive moves very similar to Hung Gar. His sifu told him that most Hung sifus don't know that these moves are in the form or they don't teach them to many students. The Wong Family must have learnt some Black Tiger if its in the forms.

That's interesting that there's a Hung sifu in Australia that learnt from Master Wong Cheung. cool.
Do you know his name? & what state he lives & teaches? Also do u know if he hopefully learnt any Black Tiger?

Is the real kung fu mag a US based mag? I've heard of it but I thought it was a old mag from Hong Kong. What's the article going to be about? Do u know if ur sifu is going to do anymore for kung fu/qigong? I would luv to see more of Black Tiger especially the fighting. Maybe u can put the article from the real kung fu mag on ur site.

Thanks

cogg
11-14-2002, 08:57 AM
Hoo Her Suan Sin (Tiger Crane combined art)
Zhonghua Tong Lin chi kung
Shuang Yang White Crane Rou Ruan Chien

been training for about 18 months now.

dezhen2001: where abouts in the west midlands? as i alsolive in the WM

ewallace
11-14-2002, 09:23 AM
So far i've found a Sidai of my Sifu's in Hong Kong who travels to Texas very often
Where in Texas?

GOLDEN ARMOR
11-19-2002, 01:35 PM
?

neito
11-19-2002, 06:53 PM
jmd161 - i like the idea of this "chopsticks and bowl" form since the weapons we are likely to use in modern times will be either small and pointy or small and blunt. blugeoning someone with a bowl is an excellent idea.

neito
11-19-2002, 07:02 PM
- i have not yet decided what style to "major" in. the school i will be attending teaches 5 different southern styles. eventually i will specialize in a certain style though. i also have trained in muay thai.

- basically i am a clincher/striker. from what i have read i feel that i may lean towards southern-dragon. but, i want to get a taste of all the styles my school offers before i make a commitment to one style. i also have fallen in love with muay thai's cut-kick which i think mixes well with(and may already be included in) southern systems.

infinet
12-04-2002, 11:32 AM
Atado Tiger Boxing
Lee Style Tai Chi

Kristoffer
12-04-2002, 12:38 PM
ooh, missed this one totally.. I train 5 animals Style and Shuai Chiao. Sometimes I play a little Pakua I learned in Beijing from a local sifu. But I know only basics...

Weapon of choice: Knife, short staff

wingchunner
12-04-2002, 12:50 PM
...wing chun kung fu (Leung Sheung Lineage)
also, Chen style tai chi chuan

Marty

jmd161
12-04-2002, 01:11 PM
Sorry i took so long guys ,but my conmputer crashed so i've been offline for awhile.

That's interesting that there's a Hung sifu in Australia that learnt from Master Wong Cheung. cool. Do you know his name? & what state he lives & teaches? Also do u know if he hopefully learnt any Black Tiger?.

I think it's Lau i'll have to check my e-mails to be sure.If i remember i think it's sydney ,but i'll check and let you know.i know he teaches the Black Tiger Iron Wire set ,but i don't know how many other sets he teaches.

Is the real kung fu mag a US based mag? I've heard of it but I thought it was a old mag from Hong Kong. What's the article going to be about? Do u know if ur sifu is going to do anymore for kung fu/qigong? I would luv to see more of Black Tiger especially the fighting. Maybe u can put the article from the real kung fu mag on ur site.

I think it's the one from Hong Kong ,but my Sihing is the one who's writing the articles.yes there are some up comming articles in the works for Kung Fu Qigong Magazine.

ewallace,

It's El Paso Texas.

neito,

Yes the Chopsticks And Bowl form is an Awesome form.

I hope i've answered all your questions?

If you have anymore ask away.