PDA

View Full Version : zui quan: for show or for real?

Sam Seed
06-24-2002, 08:22 PM
Hi! I have been practicing the arts for about 2 years now. My main focus has been only the basics. I would like to know every one's thoughts on the drunken fist arts.

Former castleva
06-25-2002, 03:54 AM
People who have practiced the art here or elsewhere are probably a few.
It seems that zui is such a rare art and it is questioned if it actually is one.

Leto
06-28-2002, 07:34 AM
It is not an 'art' in of itself, really. But it is a 'style' which is a part of at least a few Chinese martial arts. It does/can work very effectively, but it requires a great deal of athelticism and flexibility.
The most common forms of zui chuan I think are the 8 drunken immortals. I have also seen/heard of drunken weapon forms...drunken spear, drunken staff, drunken broadsword...I have only seen the drunken spear form in person.
Suffice to say, though, that they didn't just make up the style for movies. It is for real.

David Jamieson
06-28-2002, 07:53 AM
To step drunk as a strategy to avoid attack is a good thing indeed.

Drunken boxing as a "fighting" style is not even used today. It's for training and development. Otherwise, maybe you could get a part in a movie with it. :D

peace

Helicopter
06-28-2002, 08:08 AM
I think the 'play yourself weak' tactic works, I've used it in sparring with success, fein tiredness, drop your guard a tad and either they'll wail-in on you and (hopefully) run into your foot/fist or they relax slightly so when you spring they're not as ready.

I wouldn't try it twice in the same match though. :)

jpcm

Le nOObi
06-28-2002, 08:12 AM
Are you the same as the sam seed who plays op4?

Helicopter
06-28-2002, 08:16 AM
To my (very limited) experience Drunken plays like an exagerated Dragon style.:confused:

Any opinions? especially if I'm talking b*ll*cks. I'm here to learn.:)

jpcm

Leto
06-28-2002, 08:59 AM
dragon? I guess the 'cup hand' looks a little like a dragon claw...but other than that...the main thing that makes it 'drunken' is the erratic stepping and body movement, which is not really like any other style. And there are other hand positions besides the 'holding cup'. In one form, you behave like you're carrying a huge jug or barrel, arms rounded out away from the body. In another, there is mainly kicks, and you spend most of the time on one foot.

As for the feigning weakness, drunkeness, sleepiness, etc...yes, it can work very well *s* don't overdo it...but it is good for a surprise. It can be frustrating, too, someone who is good with the drunken style will just roll away from anything you do, hitting you from odd positions. It can be countered, of course, once the novelty has worn off.

A sign that it is definately 'legit', and was known during the martial arts 'heyday' of the 18th and 19th century, is the fact that it is mentioned in the 'Bubushi'. 'Bubishi' was a text from southern China about white crane and louhan kung fu, chinese medical theories and herbology, as well as fighting strategies. In one article about fighting strategies, it gives a warning about drunken boxing, saying basically 'watch out for people using the drunken style, it is unpredicatable and encompasses limitless technique.'

Helicopter
06-28-2002, 11:28 AM
The similarity I see between dragon and drunken is the twisting waist and torso avoidance & power movements.

Yeah, the footwork is loads different.

jpcm

Leto
06-28-2002, 01:32 PM
Yes, that makes sense, the dragon coiling and the drunk reeling might have a little in common...it's all about yielding :) Just like in Tai Chi chuan, it is said 'the secret of life is in the waist'. Of course, these styles all do have their roots in Shaolin...so it is very possible the first 'drunken master' was also a master of another form...who knows? :)