PDA

View Full Version : Breakdance-martial additives?

Former castleva
06-25-2002, 04:03 AM
You know the flashy form of dance where supple young people roll around doing eye-appealing tricks,which are probably difficult.
From what Iīve seen itīs said that they have combined martial art techniques into their art.Also having said that they needed this slightly martial dance for street defense.
It seems there are some minor elements living there which look something like modern wushu.:)
What do you think?

HuangKaiVun
06-25-2002, 04:26 AM
Capoeira supposedly had a similar type of origin.

ANY human movement can be adapted into a fighting application. The trick is to recognize it as such.

Former castleva
06-25-2002, 06:51 AM
Thanks for posting.
Yes,I agree.Capoeira was/is very similar I think.
Capoeiraīs "effectivenes" has been questioned,but thatīs another thing.

No_Know
06-25-2002, 08:28 AM
I might not see the modern wushuness of it, but it seems to give them direction and a physical and mental competancy which lends itself to emotionl competancy, which would be helpful with dealing with all sorts of matters. Perhaps.

hughes
06-25-2002, 09:06 AM
Capoeira's "dancing" was the Brazilian slaves way of disguising the conditioning of themselves for fighting. After all, someone who can do have the stuff capoeistra's do has to be hella fit. The actual core of Capoeira is brutal,simple effective infighting using elbows, knees etc. The only reason you see more of the "dancy" type stuff is because its very pretty.

norther practitioner
06-25-2002, 09:17 AM
A lot of breakdancing moves are derived from MA. Especially capoeira and cma (more wushu but still). I am a **** pore breaker (I do more popping and such) but have taught some movements to some of the other guys in my crew straight from cma. One of the guys has an arsanal of power moves, so he wanted to work on some cool downrock and other stuff to bust. I showed him some tricks with the front sweep (aka helicopter) butterfly kicks, some variations of kick ups, and some of the other poppers have taken stuff straight from snake and drunken boxing. Different kicks (y kick and that rolling roundhouse off your hand) have been taken right out of capoeira. There is some more stuff, like top rock which mimicks fighting directly was supposedly heavily influenced by kung fu flicks.

Sho
06-25-2002, 11:29 AM
There are many noticable moves which are same/similar as modern wushu and I believe that they have combined wushu into their art. Anyway it is very nice-looking. :)

Former castleva
06-25-2002, 11:40 AM
Thanks.Thanks.
Hughes,well that explains it all.
Explains more about that "dance" stuff.
I know some about capoeira,but this gives me the edge.