PDA

View Full Version : Wong Fei Hung Tourney

The Whyzyrd
06-25-2002, 04:49 AM
To all -

WONG FEI HUNG NORTHEASTERN ALL KUNG FU CHAMPIONSHIP

The 2002 Wong Fei Hung All Kung Fu championship will be held on September 28th at:

Fairleigh D1ckenson University
George and Phillys Rothman Center
Hackensack, NJ

Tiger Crane Forms Division
Five Animal Forms Division
Southern Long/Short Hand Forms
Northern Hand Forms
Wushu
Fighting Sets
Weapons Forms
Push Hands, Chi Sau, Shuai Jao
Sparring

Yee's Hung Ga Kung Fu Association
68 Union Avenue
Clifton, NJ 07011
(973) 772 8988

www.yeeshungga.com

Hope to see you all there.

bong
07-06-2002, 07:17 PM
Watch Norman Chin's "Jook Lum" Southern Mantis Circus
as his students perform Hung Ga forms!!!!!!

The Whyzyrd
09-06-2002, 04:57 AM
The Tourney is only three weeks away....

Also - we wanted to let everyone know that we are changing things around some and the fighting will be first....starting at 9:30 in the morning (as opposed to the typical after-the-forms timeslot).

Hope to see you all there.

Je Lei Sifu
09-10-2002, 09:08 PM
I'll see you there.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

bong
09-10-2002, 09:20 PM
Will Sifu Tommy Grant bring his Hung Ga boys (in thier own school's shirts) to the tourney this year?

He was brainwashed by into having his students compete in NORMAN's shirts for a few years now.

Blackspear
09-11-2002, 09:52 AM
It should be interesting seeing the fighting divisions posted first thing instead of waiting for forms. Should be a lot of fun.

wiz cool c
09-15-2002, 06:16 PM
the chen village style push hands competition can someone describe the rules and the time it will take place.

meltdawn
09-20-2002, 06:03 AM
Can anyone tell me how I can get from the city to the tournament? I'd like to spare the money renting a car, but I don't know the distance from Manhattan to the convention center.

Buby
09-20-2002, 06:53 AM
Via Public Transportation:
Frequent bus service to and from New York City (Port Authority is about a 35 minute ride) serves
stops at River Road in Teaneck on Route 4. Contact Rockland Coaches 201-384-2400 or NJ Transit 201-762-5100 for exact schedules.

By car:
From South/Florida: Take the Garden State Parkway north to Exit 161 to Route 4 East. Exit Route 4 at River Road. Campus parking is on the right.

From North/NYC: Take the Garden State Parkway south to Exit 163 to Route 17 South, then stay right for flyover onto Route 4 East. Exit Route 4 at River Road. Campus parking is on the right.

Buby

DF
09-20-2002, 09:29 AM
Hi please refer to www.yeeshungga.com web page for direction and please call NJ transit for public transportation. Any further instruction please call the number listed on the web site.

Thks

DF

meltdawn please be sure to come by and say hi, looking fwd to meeting in person finally.

meltdawn
09-20-2002, 10:59 AM
Buby, thank you! That's just the info I was looking for. With all the New Yawkahs I know, I would have thought someone would be making a day trip... but heck, buses are cool. I will call and find out if one runs before 8:30 am registration. Are you going to watch? FT's "eye in the sky"? Inquiring minds want to know...

DF,
I would have emailed you about this, but lost your address. (Sorry!) Will be terrific to meet you too! I did read the directions on the site, but if you have any more info for me, please email me at meltdawn2@hotmail.com.

Anyone else going from out of state? Anyone fron Flahridah? Come on y'all.... the NYers just came for our tourney.

The Whyzyrd
09-20-2002, 11:07 AM
Thanx for posting the directions Buby but I think those lead to the other side of the campus as opposed to the side where the Rothman Center is.

These are the directions from the Yee's Hung Ga site (www.yeeshungga.com):

George and Phyllis Rothman Center of Fairleigh ****inson University

** New Jersey Transit Information 201-762-5100 - Location: FDU – Hackensack Avenue and Temple Avenue

1. From Route 4, Traveling EAST (From Garden State Parkway):

Exit at Hackensack Avenue heading SOUTH (Immediately following Main Street exit. Proceed to traffic light at Temple Avenue, turning left. FDU’s Rothman Center is located at the end of Temple Avenue.

2. From Route 4, Traveling WEST (from George Washington Bridge):

Exit at the second Hackensack Avenue exit (the Business District). Proceed to the traffic light at Temple Avenue FDU’s Rothman Center is at the end of Temple Avenue.

3. From Garden State Parkway NORTH:

Take the GSP north to Exit 161 (Route 4 East) Travel on Route 4 until reaching Hackensack Avenue. Follow DIRECTIONS #1 (From Route 4 EAST).

4. From Garden State Parkway SOUTH:

Left exit to route 17 SOUTH. Proceed to Route 4 East. Travel on Route 4 until reaching Hackensack Avenue. Follow DIRECTIONS #1 (From Route 4 EAST)

5. From the NJ Turnpike SOUTH:

Take the NJ Turnpike to Interchange 11 to the Garden State Parkway NORTH. Take the GSP to Route 4 EAST. Follow DIRECTIONS #1 (From Route 4 EAST)

6. From Route 80 EAST (Note: from LOCAL lanes only--you cannot exit from express):

Exit at the Hudson Street-Hackensack-Little Ferry Exit. At end of ramp, turn left toward Hackensack and Hudson Street. Continue until road ends, turning left toward Hackensack. At the first traffic light, turn right and proceed until road ends. Turn left onto River Street (which becomes Hackensack Avenue). Drive straight through to Hackensack, approx 5 minutes. After passing light at Sears Roebuck, continue to second traffic light, turning onto Temple Avenue. FDU’s Rothman Center is located at the end of Temple Avenue.

7. From Route 80 WEST (Note: from LOCAL lanes only--you cannot exit from express):

Exit at the Hudson Street-Hackensack-Little Ferry Exit. Proceed through traffic light.

( Hudson Street ) to next light. Turn left on River Street and follow DIRECTIONS #6 (From Route 80 EAST)

8. From Lincoln Tunnel:
Take the I-495 WEST ramp. Merge onto I-495 WEST, Take the I-95/NJ Turnpike NORTH exit towards US-46. Merge onto I-95 NORTH, which becomes I-80 WEST. Follow DIRECTIONS #6 (From Route 80 EAST).

9. From Holland Tunnel:
After exiting tunnel, go straight up the ramp and follow signs for NJ Turnpike NORTH. Merge onto I-95 NORTH, which becomes I-80 WEST. Follow DIRECTIONS #6 (From Route 80 EAST).

Buby
09-20-2002, 11:41 AM
Didn't mean to mislead anyone. I pulled the directions off the college website. Sorry for the misleading info.

Melty - Yeah, I'll be there with my KF bro Lou. We were going to enter (short hand forms and fighting), but Lou just opened up his Thai school, so all our practice time was dedicated to getting the school up and running. There's always next year and hopefully we'll have sifu by our sides.

I'm going in Lou's wip(car), I'll ask him if there's room for one more.

DF - Can a ranked pro fighter enter your tourney for fighting?

Take care,
Buby

DF
09-20-2002, 03:47 PM
Buby,
Sure why not, but I don't know why a ranked pro fighter would want to enter an amateur event. Keep in mind, this is not a full contact event due to insurance reason.

Meltdawn,
I see you at the tourny and please use Whyzyrd's direction.

DF

Buby
09-23-2002, 05:07 AM
To test his Kung Fu. He's a ranked pro thai boxer, and as we all know KF and Thai are not the same. He just wants to perfect his KF, but doesn't want to hurt anyone in the process.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my ?.

Take care,
Buby

tnwingtsun
09-29-2002, 10:51 PM
I've been out of town TCB,how did it go guys and girls?

tjmitch
09-30-2002, 09:38 AM
Hey , fun day at the Wong Fei Hung. Saw some interesting things, and managed to win a silver medal in the Mens Advanced middle weight sparring. I wish I caught the name and school of the guy I lost to in the finals, he was a really good fighter, and it was a ton of fun fighting him. He was also a nice guy, I got a chance to talk with him a little bit afterwards -- once I got my wind back after the liver shot he hit me with in the final seconds :p

meltdawn
09-30-2002, 01:51 PM
Congrats, tjmitch! I missed most of the fighting. :(

It was a good tourney! I met many people, teachers and students, including some KFOers. I didn't have the opportunity to meet others, like DF. Everytime I saw you, you were running the other way. Hopefully next trip. :)

A good facet was having a big "southern shorthand" division. Can we please rename this Hak Ga? :) Down here in Florida, there are not too many from these arts, and fewer who compete, so rarely can we meet each other and see what the other has. Always interesting, always makes my kung fu better. I didn't get to see the other women in my division, since I walked in and went straight to the ring. I am glad there were some of you there, though! Nice to meet you, and hopefully next time.

Thank you to Cepero Sifu and Yee's Hung Ga for hosting this excellent event. Congratulations on it's success and to all he competitors.

DF
09-30-2002, 02:09 PM
Hi there, I was wondering where were you. Sorry for missing the opportunity to meet up, just that Sifu had me doing all kind of things. I missed most if not all of the competitions. Next time just grap me and introduce yourself. Next time you come up to NYC, just drop me a line, we can hang out then

DF

ps by the way, how do you know what I look like. Were you looking for the ugliest Chinese guy at the tourny, lol.

TenTigers
09-30-2002, 03:31 PM
Hey, who WAS THAT FOX at the tournament? You know, the tall one with the blonde hair in front? "Smokin"!!!!!!

TenTigers
09-30-2002, 03:32 PM
sorry. couldn't resist. I'm bein bad agin.

meltdawn
10-01-2002, 05:38 AM
Wasn't that DF?

Heh heh, now I couldn't resist! ;)

And that's PLATINUM, not blonde...

tjmitch
10-01-2002, 10:02 AM
Do any of you guys know if they post the results anywhere?

p.s. I think everybody noticed the platnuim blonde.:confused:

Jowbacca
10-02-2002, 12:21 PM
I had fun.

It was cool meeting some of you guys like Subitai and DF. Hope I din't come off too weird, but so much was goin on it was overwhelming- lots of confusion, first time jitters, and even a lil de ja vous (not sure that's the right word).

Kinda half met meltdawn too (nyah nyah FT :p :cool: :p :D) and she seemed pretty cool as well.

JeLei- Like sands of the hour glass THESE are the days of your life.... That means there'll be no more competition then right? If not, then let's chose another goal.

Man, they wouldn't let me create a new account as Pork Chop on here, but I made it on Southern Fist tho. :)

DF
10-02-2002, 09:57 PM
It was nice meeting you Pork Chop. Don't worry about the weird part, you were in the house of Yee's , you fit right in, lol.

As always, the Wong's school rocks the house.

DF

Je Lei Sifu
10-02-2002, 10:08 PM
Hey Pork Chop,

Most of my sand is still at the top of the hour glass. It was good seeing you again bro.

By the way, those arms were nice and warm wrapping around my body. hahahahahahahaha.

You never know, you might find out for yourself one of these days. lol.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu

TenTigers
10-02-2002, 10:38 PM
One last thing-MAJOR KUDOS to Sifu Ralph Mitchell for running a tight, no Bull**** ring, as always. Usually I am always in the judges seat, except this time because I was running around taking care of my daughter-who unfortunately injured herself warming up, and was unable to compete (Mom was home) and coaching my student. Although I did get to play "catcher" for the platform chi-sao! I will make up for it next time. This is still one of the best tournaments around! It is so rare to see such brotherhood. Mo-Lum Yat Ga.

tjmitch
10-03-2002, 05:51 AM
Was Sifu Mitchell running ring #4 ?The one right in front of the announcers table?

Jowbacca
10-03-2002, 12:53 PM
JeLei
GRRRRRRRR. heheheh
Actually I already know for sure i'm not going to make a comeback and even the score.
It's already 2-0 and I never had a shot to begin with.

C'mooon, let's find a new challenge....
Double or nuthin.... :D

DF
Noone throws a party like a Yee House Party,
cuz a Yee House Party Don't Stop!

Next time I'm brinin a camera and we gonna film that thing I said. hehe

Je Lei Sifu
10-03-2002, 09:03 PM
Alright Pork Chop,

You name the game but it has to be something just as sweet as the first challenge.

Peace

Je Lei Sifu