PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know of any Fukien White Crane books besides Dr.Yangs

FIRE HAWK
06-22-2001, 07:41 PM
Anybody know of any Fukien White Crane books besides Dr.Yangs

Crimson Phoenix
06-23-2001, 01:44 PM
I think there was a Canadian guy named Lorne Bernard who wrote a book on Fukien white crane but I don't know how to get it...
You can try to search for "Lorne Bernard", you could end up on his site where he shows what he does and mentions the book...

ngokfei
06-23-2001, 07:41 PM
Lorne's book is excellent for actual techniques and the like. Yang's book is a great theory and principla book.

I heard that Sifu Bernard was puting out a 2nd book, is it out yet and where can It be found.

eric Hargrove
ngokfei@juno.com

Crimson Phoenix
06-24-2001, 11:21 AM
A second book??
Wow, I'd definitely be very interested in getting it...the first one too...

FIRE HAWK
06-24-2001, 12:15 PM
http:/www.aei.ca/~straycat/kungfu/book.html

FIRE HAWK
06-24-2001, 12:51 PM
Go to Google and type in Fukien White Crane or Loren Bernard and his book and a bunch of places where to get the book should come up .i know of three places to get the book one is the Bamboo Temple Shaolin Brand they have his book also try Amazon.com .For some reason my computer is not letting me post websites that work.

Ming Fai
06-24-2001, 12:52 PM
A few years ago when I was in Hongkong I bought this book in Chinese called "The Feeding Crane Style of Fujian White Crane". It is written by a Taiwanese master called Liu Yinshan. I'm planning to translate this book into English but because (according to the bibliography of White Crane Qigong) Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming already used the contents in his White Crane book and Patrick McCarthy also used the book for his Bubishi, I'm not sure if I'm gonna translate it or not. Dr. Yang and McCarthy are true experts, I don't think I can reveal something new and interesting by translating "Feeding Crane".

FIRE HAWK
06-24-2001, 02:48 PM
Translate the book and see if Tuttle Publishing books will publish the book and put it out on the market of new books.They dont have any books out on Fukien White Crane nor is there that many books in english out on Fukien White Crane i think that the book would be a big sucses or a big hit alot of people would probably love to buy and have this book in english on Fukien Southern White Crane.

Ming Fai
06-24-2001, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, Fire Hawk!

I'll think about it, I'm translating alot of stuff lately, hope I will do something with White Crane in the near future. But Tuttle? That's high quality stuff, not everyone can have the honour to work with this great publisher. But I'll try to do my best.

PEACE

Tsuruken
06-26-2001, 04:23 PM
Hello,

I beleive that I have a copy of the book on Shihequan (Feeding Crane) you mentioned. Is your copy in Japanese?

I also have a very, very good book in Chinese entitled "Fujian Nanquan Congshu Hequan" which illustrates a large number of techniques, history and forms. Is anyone out there able to do translations? If so. please let me know and I will scan copies of the pages out of the book and send them to you.

I am interested in linking up with anyone who has an interest in Crane-Fist of China and Okinawa and in sharing resources and research material (written, video etc) on same.

I welcome all replies.

Regards,

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

E-mail: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au
Web Site: http://butoryu.freewebsites.com/

Ming Fai
06-26-2001, 05:43 PM
The book I bought is in Chinese. I mail you about it OK?

FIRE HAWK
06-26-2001, 08:21 PM
Man You guys are lucky to be able to read Chinese and Japanese.I have a Choy Mok book that is in one of the Chinese languages that i wish i could read.

FIRE HAWK
06-26-2001, 10:15 PM
http://www.rembrandt.gen.nz/white_crane/

tnwingtsun
06-27-2001, 01:49 AM
if there is an English version of "Evergreen"?,
I belive thats the title of the book.
Its theme is the period of the Shaolin Temple burning,the five elders and their students,I have heard(like so many books written about that time) that its fiction,at anyrate,it should be a interesting read.

Self-Thinking Follower
06-27-2001, 02:20 AM
http://www.rembrandt.gen.nz/white_crane/graphic/yso_bhq_a3.jpg

"Yek Sing Ong is not currently teaching the White Crane system. Sorry, but we don't sell any videos, books or diagrams relating to the system".

[This message was edited by Self-Thinking Follower on 06-27-01 at 05:26 PM.]

Self-Thinking Follower
06-27-2001, 02:30 AM
Seiunchin's ancestor?

http://www.rembrandt.gen.nz/white_crane/graphic/yso_bhq_a5.jpg

tnwingtsun
06-27-2001, 03:11 AM
Do you guys just take pictures then?

Tsuruken
06-27-2001, 03:13 AM
Self-Thinking Follower,

Possibly? You may be on to something there although it's more likely that this technique is from Nanquan Hequan. It looks almost exactly like a technique out of the Soken Hohan Hakutsuru (similar to the Shueishou - Water Hand's of Shihequan or Feeding Crane-Fist).

What do others think?

Regards,

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

Tsuruken
06-27-2001, 06:09 AM
Ming Fai,

I recently e-mailed you some selected pages from the books in my possession. Please let me know that you received them and your thoughts. Looking forward to sharing in the future,

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

WenJin
06-27-2001, 10:55 AM
My teacher' Shi Su (Uncle) is one of the writers. Sun Zhong Xiong. What exactly do you want translated. I mean it really only points commonly known facts amongst He quan practitioners and if you are a practitioner you would know them already.

FIRE HAWK
06-27-2001, 04:40 PM
I think that book is called One Thousand Years Green.

Self-Thinking Follower
06-28-2001, 04:46 AM
:D :D :D

Tsuruken
06-28-2001, 07:32 AM
WenJin,

I'm interested in the listing of forms as appears in order within the index. I am sorry but my translation skills pertain more to Nihongo and Uchinangui Hogen dialects.

Regards,

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

Ming Fai
06-28-2001, 11:52 AM
I have received the texts and I'll be working on it. We'll keep in touch, OK?

gojumaster
06-28-2001, 02:53 PM
Ron,

I have translated these myself, but unfortunately I don't have the book in front of me right now.

Of the 4 crane styles listed, 3 have Sanchin and Da Si Men (4 doors), and 1 other form.

For instance, Ba Bu Lian (8 linking steps) or Nipai (which you are familiar with) would be the 3 rd form in the style.

The Feeding crane forms (2) I cannot remember at the moment...

Russ

Crimson Phoenix
06-28-2001, 03:49 PM
Mr Goninan, I read about the kata Happoren in the past, which is given a lot less attention that Sanchin but seems really deeper (at least to my incompetent eyes!)...I wonder, is Happoren the same as Ba bu lian transmitted in Fujian Bai He, or do they just share a similar name?
I've been wondering for a while...

Phoenix

WenJin
06-28-2001, 04:09 PM
The Index is as follows
Zhong He Quan
(1) Te Dian - Special Points/features
(2) Qi & Jing
(3) Training method of Jing
(4) The requirements of the body
(5) Combining Internal & external
(6) Tao Lu (Forms) - San Zhan (3 Battles), Da Si Men (Hit the 4 Doors), Wu Bu (5 Steps)...altogether 72 techniques/Movements

Ming He Quan
(1) Te Dian (Special Points/features)
(2) Gang Jing (Hard Jing) & Rou Jing (Soft Jing)
(3) Shou Fa (Hand Methods),Yan Fa (Eye Methods), Shen Fa (Body Methods) & Bu Fa (Stepping Methods)
(4) Tao Lu (Forms) - san Zhan (3 Battles), Da Si Men (Strike the 4 doors), er Shi Ba Bu (28 Steps)....altogether 108 movements/techniques.

Fei He Quan
(1) Te Dian
(2) Ji Ben Gung - San Zhan (Fundamental skill- 3 Battles)
(3) Yuen Dung yu Hu Xi fang fa (Movement and breathing methodology)
(4) The requirements of the body
(5) Tao Lu (Forms) - san Zhan (3 Battles), Da Si Men (Strike the 4 doors), Ba Bu Lien (8 Step Linking/continous )....altogether 99 movements/techniques.

Shi He Quan
(1) Te Dian
(2) Yuen Qi Fang Fa (Original Qi Methodology)
(3) The requirements of the body
(4) Forms - 1. Zhao Zhuo & 2. Let you ponder :):):):)

Appendix : He Quan Quan Jue (Couplets/Poems of Crane Fist)

NOTE : Ron, There is a teacher in Australia who learned He Quan in singapore and fujian. My teacher said he is the only foreigner to have studied within his uncles lineage. Maybe you should seek him out to learn more.

gojumaster
06-28-2001, 04:25 PM
Crimson Phoenix,

According to this book, the Happoren that most are familiar with is actually a combination of: San Zhan and Da Si Men in the Ming He tradition.

Apparently when all 3 Ming He forms (San Zhan, Da Si Men, and Er Shi Ba Bu) are performed together as one form, it is called "Ming He Quan". I have video of Ruan Dong, Sifu performing this very long set in his VERY SOFT style.

As to Ba Bu Lian, I can't tell you yet, as I have a tape of Ba Bu Lian from the Yek Sing Ong's teacher's tradition, but I haven't had a chance to get it converted from PAL to NTSC. I'll let you know when I do.

Russ

WenJin
06-28-2001, 04:29 PM
there are more forms in Ming He than those 3...

gojumaster
06-28-2001, 04:36 PM
WenJin,

Thanks for the clarification. I really only meant the 3 forms in the book, since they corrolate with the footage of Ruan Dong, and the oral traditions I have heard (which isn't a lot...)

BTW, Are there any teachers in the US that you would recommend?

Russ

FIRE HAWK
06-28-2001, 05:40 PM
Has anybody ever herd of these hand forms from Chuka Shaolin Phoenix Eye Fist style they say that this art is a mixture of Fukien Southern White Crane and Chu Gar southern mantis.The nun who founded the style named Leow Fah Shihh Koo came from Fukien Province and was said to be a expert in Fukien Southern Crane.

CHUKA SHAOLIN PHOENIX EYE FIST HAND FORMS
KAI SAN CHIEN (OPENING THE MOUNTAIN)

ER SHIH SZE TIEN (TWENTY FOUR POINTS,NUMBER ONE)

ER SHIH SZE TIEN (TWENTY FOUR POINTS,NUMBER TWO)

HU CHAO CHIEN (TIGER CLAW,ASCENDING TIGER)

HU CHAO CHIEN (TIGER CLAW,DESCENDING TIGER)

LOONG HU CHIEN (DRAGON AND TIGER)

TA CHOONG KOONG (STAMPING INSIDE,THE PALACE BEING SURROUNDED)

MEI HUA CHIEN (PLUM BLOSSOM)

LIEN HUANG TUEI(CONTINUOUS KICKS)

TONG TZE PAI KWAN YIN(BOY PAYING RESPECTS TO THE GODDESS OF MERCY)

YIN YAN ER SIEN KU (TWO POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE HEAVENLY LADIES)

TA OOH LI (STRENGTH PERFORMANCE)

SHIH PA LOHAN CHIEN (EIGHTEEN HANDS OF THE LOHAN)

FOONG YEN TIN SUN CHIEN (PHOENIX EYE FIST GUARDING THE MOUNTAIN)

SHIH TA HSING HSIAN(TEN ANIMALS FIGHTING MOVEMENTS)

KUNG SOW TWEE CHAI (PREARRANGED SPARRING,SET ONE)

KUNG SOW TWEE CHAI (PREARRANGED SPARRING ,SET TWO)

Tsuruken
06-29-2001, 06:43 AM
Thank you very much for your information which basically lines up with mine (a few slight differences).

WenJin, could you please supply me with the English translations of the forms in mention. As stated my language capabilities only stretch to Japanese and Uchinagui. I'd be interested in linking up with the teacher of Hequan you mentioned who is in Australia! My e-mail is: tsuruken@austarnet.com.au if you would be as so kind to send me some contact information. it sounds very, very promising.

Russ, I'd be real interested in obtaining a copy of the videos you mentioned (in either PAL or NTSC Formats as I can play both). Please let me know if this is possible.

Thank you very much for the exchange of information.

Regards,

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

Ming Fai
06-29-2001, 01:34 PM
I´ve just translated the index and it is basically the same as WenJin´s translation. The only important differences are:

Fei He Quan (Flying Crane Boxing)
(1) Te Dian (Characteristics)
(2) Ji Ben Gung - San Zhan (Basic Training - Three Battles)
(3) Yundong de huxi fangfa (Breathing methods for movements)
(4) Internal Jin and sensitivity
(5) The requirements of the body parts
(6) Tao Lu (Forms)

Shi He Quan (Feeding Crane Boxing)
(1) Te Dian (Characteristics)
(2) Yun Qi fangfa (Methods for raising the Qi)
(3) The requirements of the body parts
(4) Forms 1. Zhao Zhuo (Morning Pecking Form -The Mother of Feeding Crane Boxing)
2. Teng Zhi(Vine Limbs Form)

WenJin, could you please compare my translation with the index in your book?

Ming Fai
06-29-2001, 01:43 PM
For as far as I know, the Chuka Shaolin Phoenix-eye School do not claim to have roots in Fujian Whtie Crane. People assume that the founder of the style must have something to do with White Crane kungfu just because she lived in a place called the White Crane Cave. I think this is a rather silly assumption (if I´m surnamed Wong, live in Futshan and practice Hung Gar that doesn´t necessary mean that I´m related to Wong Fei-Hung) but of course it is still possible.

tnwingtsun
07-01-2001, 12:09 AM
"I think that book is called One Thousand Years Green."

Do you know where to get the English version??

Tsuruken
07-01-2001, 03:17 AM
Guys,

I am urgently (I mean URGENTLY!) in need of a translation of the following sections of the "Fujian Nanquan Congshu Hequan" book:-

* Fei He Quan: Tao Lu (The techniques of the form/99movements/techniques - in Chinese and the English Translation).

* Appendix: He Quan Quan Jue (Couplets/Poems of Crane Fist).

If you can help then this would prove invaluable to my on-going research.

Awaiting your reply.

Regards,

:)

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

Self-Thinking Follower
07-02-2001, 02:42 AM
Its URGENT! :D

Tsuruken
07-02-2001, 03:20 AM
Please ignore "Self-Thinking Follower's" post as he sadly has some sort of petty personal agenda against me despite having never met or talked in person.

Ron Goninan - Chairman
Okinawa Butoryu Gohokan
Australia

WongFeHung
07-02-2001, 04:26 AM
Ron, I also have the book that Patrick McCarthy used on Fukien White Crane, please, when you get it translated, let me know. I am still searching for the original saam jien kuen, or at least one that resembles gung-fu more than karate.

FIRE HAWK
07-02-2001, 05:54 AM
I got my Fukien White Crane book today and it looks like Southern Mantis or Pak Mei White Eyebrow,Lorne Bernards book is great about 200 pages.

Crimson Phoenix
07-02-2001, 12:10 PM
Fire, where did you get it??
What does it contain? History?? techniques?? forms?? principles??
I hhhaaaffftttttaaaa kknnoooowwwww! ;)

tnwingtsun
07-02-2001, 12:41 PM
Chill out bro!!,he's just a flower. :D

Now wheres my book!!!!!!!!!!

FIRE HAWK
07-03-2001, 12:50 AM
It has all that you listed let me get back to you on whats in the book.Here is a website where you can get the book look under animal styles. http://ryukyu.com/book/contents.html
also try Amazon.com

FIRE HAWK
07-03-2001, 01:12 AM
Let me figure out in which one of my 250 martial arts books and my big pile of magazines where i herd of the book ill find it.

FIRE HAWK
07-03-2001, 03:28 AM
Try Alexander L.M.Co s book Five Ancestors Fist The Way of Ngo Cho Kun it has a coplete Sam Chin kung fu form in the book pure kung fu.

tnwingtsun
07-13-2001, 05:34 PM
I'll be waiting ;)

FIRE HAWK
07-14-2001, 04:26 AM
If you have a copy of Robert Chus and Rene Ritchies book Complete Wing Chun go to page 111 and read it here is what some of it says.
It should be noted,however,that during the Qing dynasty,martial art pulp novels(romanticized soap opera like stories )were already in circulation and some ,like Wan Nian Qing(Ten Thousand Years Green)contained highly dramatized accounts of the Five Elders turning on ,and eventually killing, each other.
I will try to find more information on this book and its author i think i reed somwhere that this book was written in the 1700s somwhere during that century and that the tails of the Five Elders were popular at that time let me check on this.

FIRE HAWK
07-14-2001, 04:32 AM
I said that the book was called one Thousand Years Green that is not correct it is called Ten Thousand Years Green.

tnwingtsun
07-21-2001, 09:15 AM
Thanks FIREHAWK,if you ever find out where to get a english translation let me know.

Hiram
07-21-2001, 04:16 PM
There's an article scheduled to come out in October's IKF magazine. Its titled "Fukien White Crane: Can the art be saved?" by S.L. Martin
I've never heard of him, but anyone interested in Fukien White Crane should check it out. It sounds like it might be interesting.

irontiger
07-22-2001, 08:36 PM
hey!
there are some materials on white crane one of them is available in english!this is a video
on the "feeding crane kung fu " and its available
thru tsunami video a japanese production company
this is a great video on the subject. also the books mentioned on fujianese white crane can be purchased at most chinese bookstores!
later :eek:

irontiger
07-23-2001, 12:41 AM
hey!
theres white crane materials out there
you just gotta look around.although most of it is
chinese there are some materials in english
on the subject 1-white crane gung fu by M.STAPLES
2-FEEDING CRANE GUNG FU VIDEO. AND MORE
PEACE :cool: null