PDA

View Full Version : my friend learned a lesson about style vs style

SevenStar
06-25-2002, 09:09 PM
he was always under the assumption that although capoeira was pretty, it wasn't very effective. he never knew anyone who had trained in real capoeira. he sparred a 7th degree bb in kempo and capoeirista. My friend played judo for several years, has a bb in tkd, trained MT for 3 years and was a state champ wrestler, in addition to wrestling in college. the capoerista gave him a h3ll of a fight. my friend beat him, but it took him a while, as he had a hard time getting inside.the capoerista's kicks were perfect, landing pretty much wherever he wanted them to. he was pretty good on the inside also, but my friend dominated once he was inside. The kempo guy handed his arse to him. he had no chance. but, the kempo stylist did have way more experience and still currently trains - my friend still lifts weights, but hasn't done MA in years until this happened. Now, he's interested in looking into kempo!

Unstoppable
06-25-2002, 09:17 PM
"my friend beat him, but it took him a while, as he had a hard time getting inside."

"The kempo guy handed his arse to him. he had no chance."

I don't UnderstADN.

TTFN

Xebsball
06-25-2002, 10:45 PM
Yeah Seven, there is a famous capoeirista old school nhb fighter named Rei Zulu who used to do great.
His most famous fight was with Rickson, wich he lost, but still he was one of the greatest fighters back then.

SevenStar
06-25-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Unstoppable
"my friend beat him, but it took him a while, as he had a hard time getting inside."

"The kempo guy handed his arse to him. he had no chance."

I don't UnderstADN.

TTFN

he beat the capoerista, but lost to the kempo guy. he had a hard time beating the capoeirista though.

KnightSabre
06-26-2002, 12:43 AM
Your friend was a good wrestler and never took the fights to the ground?

Unmatchable
06-26-2002, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Xebsball
Yeah Seven, there is a famous capoeirista old school nhb fighter named Rei Zulu who used to do great.
His most famous fight was with Rickson, wich he lost, but still he was one of the greatest fighters back then.

Zulu is a brawler not Capoeira, and his style is considered to be Luta Livre, at the time Zulu was considered to be good only because of his 140-0 freestyle fight record but it's undocumented and majority were street fights, he fought Rickson twice, and Zulu's pro-fight record is less impressive to say the least, he's 3-0, he lost by DQ to Pedro Otavio, he lost to Kunta Kinte by choke in under 7 minutes, and Enson Inoue made quick work of him all within 45 seconds of the first round, great he's not.

SevenStar
06-26-2002, 05:45 AM
Originally posted by Unmatchable

Zulu is a brawler not Capoeira, and his style is considered to be Luta Livre, at the time Zulu was considered to be good only because of his 140-0 freestyle fight record but it's undocumented and majority were street fights, he fought Rickson twice, and Zulu's pro-fight record is less impressive to say the least, he's 3-0, he lost by DQ to Pedro Otavio, he lost to Kunta Kinte by choke in under 7 minutes, and Enson Inoue made quick work of him all within 45 seconds of the first round, great he's not.

could you beat him? Case closed.

SevenStar
06-26-2002, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by KnightSabre
Your friend was a good wrestler and never took the fights to the ground?

They were only doing standup.

Xebsball
06-26-2002, 07:39 AM
mmkay i just checked my stuff, he is associeted to luta livre i must have mistaken somewhere. Probably becouse the name Zulú is african.

but still, capoeira deserves its respect.

Budokan
06-26-2002, 07:45 AM
How much training in other arts (if any) did this capo guy have?

guohuen
06-26-2002, 07:58 AM
Haha, great thread! I remember the looks on peoples faces when we would do free sparring in the Rangers. Most of the preconcieved notions of "the best style" evaporated pretty quickly. A phenominom I like to call "Dawn at Marblehead" (Those from Mass. will understand):D

SevenStar
06-26-2002, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Budokan
How much training in other arts (if any) did this capo guy have?

If you're referring to the one my friend sparred - none as far as I know. I dunno too much about the guy xeb was referring to.

Unstoppable
06-26-2002, 03:59 PM
oh OKay I get it I thought THey were the Same guy

TTFN

Ryu
06-26-2002, 04:04 PM
I'd probably get my rear kicked too if it was only standup. :)

Rotten Ryu hands!!!!! (actually I'm not that bad... LOL )

Ryu

KnightSabre
06-27-2002, 12:59 AM
ok so in otherwords the only weapons he could use was his 3 years of Muay Thai?
How long will it take you to get your 7th degree black belt in Kempo?

GunnedDownAtrocity
06-27-2002, 09:09 AM
12 years, 9 months, and 19 days.