PDA

View Full Version : crappy arms

IronFist
06-25-2002, 10:00 PM
"Handcrafted by a Martial Arts Master!"? Must not have been one who knew anything about WC (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1838844086)

Flaws:

1. Upper arms have too much height difference.
2. Arms not tapered.
3. If you look closely at the third picture, you will see the support beams are not secured. Pulling the dummy toward you (for example the 3rd movement in the form) would pull it of the stand.
(4?) I can't really tell, but that bottom cross piece may get in the way of some foot positions.
(5?) 8 Inch diameter? Even 8" PVC pipe has an 8.6" outter diameter. I've always heard that traditionally, 8.5" is the bare minimum for dummies.

Pros: (yes, there are a few)

1. There is a large "head" area above the upper arms. Sometimes dummies only extend about 6 inches past the upper arms. This one looks to have 12-14 inches.
2. That thick-ass leg might be tougher than some.

Overall recommendation

The arm flaws overrule any possible benefits... unless you want to train your left bong sao to be higher than your right. And the lack of tapering is just annoying.

Signed, first member of dummy patrol,
IronFist

kungfu cowboy
06-25-2002, 10:33 PM
Second member of dummy patrol reporting for duty!:p

Well, I will say that I hope the plans for a stand are for a better stand than that! That goofy thing would explode and fall over on contact! Or at least slide back. Even if you placed the far edge of the stand against a wall it would hop up and slide right or left.

Those arms are pitiful.

And on a hunch, it just doesn't seem like oak.

IronFist
06-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Good to see you, second member!

I was hoping you'd reply :P

IronFist

sunkuen
06-26-2002, 05:52 AM
if you also look closely at the arms, the holes in the dummy and the pass thru sections of the arms are not squared off.:(

nice looking finish tho