PDA

View Full Version : Anyone consider NOT training as part of their training?

gnugear
06-26-2002, 12:48 PM
I'm not talking about dropping everything ... just taking a short physical break to refresh the mind and purge bad habits. I've had to do it out of necessity (family etc.) but I'm wondering if anyone has done it on purpose, as a way of allowing the body to reset itself and address another person's energy in a different way.

red5angel
06-26-2002, 12:56 PM
yep, drop yourself in a sensory deprivation tank and just let it all go for a while.

gnugear
06-26-2002, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by red5angel
yep, drop yourself in a sensory deprivation tank and just let it all go for a while.

For me that would be a lot of beer and bad movies LOL!

... I could do that for a week

fa_jing
06-26-2002, 01:43 PM
I should have done this on purpose, now it's too late and I'm doing it out of necessity (Injury). I didn't realize how tight I was making my body - because my stretching was always improving. But although the range of motion is high, the ability of certain muscles to fully relax has been compromised.

-FJ

anerlich
06-26-2002, 03:54 PM
Rest should form part of any athlete's schedule. "A day off a week and a week off once a year" was one maxim I've heard.

I intentionally stopped all training for three weeks when I went OS last year, this turned out to be too long - I injured myself when I returned to training, plus my timing was way off.

gnugear
06-26-2002, 05:37 PM
I get the "flintches" and get jumpy if I'm away too long.

Grendel
06-26-2002, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by anerlich
Rest should form part of any athlete's schedule. "A day off a week and a week off once a year" was one maxim I've heard.

This sounds about right to me. I have trouble lately with overtraining if I practice Wing Chun twice daily and run in the evenings without a good stretch of time off between each Wing Chun workout. Heavy training also increases my need for sleep, and a lack of sleep makes me more injury prone it seems.

Regards,