PDA

View Full Version : Visiting another school: Positive experience

planetwc
06-26-2002, 02:37 PM
Some of my buddies from 2 of our schools went and exchanged hands with John Kang's folks recently. Sounds like a very good time was had by all. Hopefully, I'll hook up with John Kang and his folks on the next encounter. :)

I was asked to post a "trip report" on the experience. I hope there can be more experiences like this between local schools.

Our art needs more experiences like this.

============================================

Following is a recounting by JL Shaw, a student of Kenneth Chung, of a visit to John Kang's China Lo Man Kam Wing Chun Kung Fu Federation school in Oakland California, USA, which occured last week. In addition to JL, attendees were Juergen Heerdegen, from Ken's class and Joe, Eric, Irene, and Chi from Ben Der's school. I want to thank JL and John Kang for extending a friendly hand to each other for the good will and experience of learning from each other.

---------------------------------------

I am a 5 yr student of Kenneth Chung and I have been corresponding with Instructor John Kang for a short time. He graciously invited a few of us to visit their school for some friendly Chi Sao. Instructor John learned from Lo Man Kam in Taipei.

Last Monday, June 17, six of us from Ken and Ben's school went to visit Instructor John's school in Oakland. We all found John very pleasant, open and receptive to us. We Chi Sao'ed with everyone and generally had a great time.

Even though both of us come from a Yip Man lineage, there were some subtle differences from their root to their hands. We got to see some hands that we have never encountered and vice versa. They had a double head grab and they had not seen a double punch. We tend to stay rather stable whereas they also tried to step aside to take a cut on our center. Some of them liked to come over the top whereas Ken tends to teach us to enjoy the inside gate.

Some of their training is also different from ours. They include
simulated drills where students have to defend against other types of attacks as might be issued by other MA styles.

All in all we all had a good time and I'm hoping that we can reciprocate by inviting them to our picnic.

JL Shaw

---------------------------------------

Grendel
06-26-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by planetwc
Some of my buddies from 2 of our schools went and exchanged hands with John Kang's folks recently. Sounds like a very good time was had by all. Hopefully, I'll hook up with John Kang and his folks on the next encounter. :)

I was asked to post a "trip report" on the experience. I hope there can be more experiences like this between local schools.

Our art needs more experiences like this.

All in all we all had a good time and I'm hoping that we can reciprocate by inviting them to our picnic.

JL Shaw

Hi PlanetWingChun,

Nice report on visiting John Kang's group with the right kind of Wing Chun interaction. John's to be commended for his openess to such an exchange. Where's his write-up? When's the picnic? :)

All the best,

aelward
06-26-2002, 11:20 PM
Aren't we just becoming that love fest that r5a hates so much...

Our class also had a very fun, enjoyable, and learning experience. Overall, we were very impressed with Ken's and Ben's students' root and bridge, which is conceptually different from the way we approach root and linkage. Indeed, their example has made me realize how lax I was in reinforcing good body alignment (even in our paradigm) as mentioned in the "err" thread. As a result of our exchange (as well as a visit from a Si-hing the next Thursday, as well), I have been and will be taking time over the next two weeks to work with all members of our group one-on-one to review forms, footwork, stance, and other fundamentals; as well as setting goals for improvement. (especially in light of the posibility of my Sifu visiting within the next half year....). So I really do have to thank JL, Juergen, Eric, Irene, Joe, and Chi for coming.

These kind of non-competitive, open-minded get-togethers really allow for people to see their own strengths, and, more importantly, their deficiencies. It also gives us a chance to see how different people interpret and apply the same principles and fighting theories.

On a personal note, I just want to say I have always been amazed by Sifu Ken Chung's ability; it was nice to see that two of the people I had rolled with before (a year, and two years ago) had edged a little closer to that model of a deep relaxed root and connected arms.

kungfu cowboy
06-26-2002, 11:28 PM
What's this?! A nice exchange! It must be that you are recent affiliates and this is all marketing propaganda!:p

stuartm
06-27-2002, 12:51 AM
Great thread - nice to see positive relations between different WC schools. You can always learn from someone else, no matter lineage, experience etc

Stuart

planetwc
06-27-2002, 12:52 AM
Pod People Wing Chun Kuen

Don't worry podnah, we're coming fur you too cowboy!

As the Borg say, "Resistance is futile".

Originally posted by kungfu cowboy
What's this?! A nice exchange! It must be that you are recent affiliates and this is all marketing propaganda!:p

Mithrandir
06-28-2002, 01:13 AM
Planetwc,

It is refreshing to hear of an honest exchange between different lineages. This type of exchange will facilitate true growth among the WC "families". Please keep us informed of similiar exchanges in the future.

Chow!