PDA

View Full Version : Field Stripping for the street...

Zenwalker
06-26-2002, 05:20 PM
I have been studying two styles of Pa Kua Chang for several years now, including Gao style, which emphasizes "practical" line drills which are similar to Hsing I. I recently picked up Marc "Animal" McYoung's book Taking it to the Street: how to use your martial arts for self defense, and was utterly amazed by his assertion that traditional MA training could be made more street effective with some slight modifications.

I was also interested in the fact that Pa Kua is one of the few arts that McYoung believes to be street practical (usually internal arts are considered the "poor cousin" by hardcore self-defense enthusiasts).

Basically, McYoung believes that all MA (including JKD, silat etc. sorry guys) are the equivalent of military boot camp, if you will. The training gives you the basic, bare minimum you need to know before stepping out into the combat zone (or street). Once there however, it's necessary for the soldier to field strip the techniques he has learned in order to gain the maximum efficiency. For example, in 'Nam you didn't see a whole lotta guys marching through the jungles in formation with perfectly spit shined boots and eighty pound packs full of useless garbage.

Anyhow, back to my question. What changes do you make to your art to streamline it (if any)? What's the rational behind your modifications? Finally, for extra credit, what changes do you percieve may be needed for a Pa Kua stylist such as myself?

Joe
06-27-2002, 12:05 PM
what other arts did this guy say were "street effective"?

Zenwalker
06-27-2002, 04:09 PM
Actually, maybe "street effective" wasn't the right term. MacYoung has studied several arts including silat, kuntao,kali, escrima, JKD, Wing Chun, Pa Kua, Judo, Jujitsu, Five Animals Kung Fu, boxing, karate, and wrestling. He has learned many useful techniques and mentioned what he felt was the most valuable lesson to be learned from each style. This was done in order to help the reader see what might be most useful in his own art, and what weaknesses he might need to shore up. All MA will teach you the basics. All will show an effective way of dealing with one or more aspects of a fight. Hope this clarifies.

dnc101
06-28-2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Zenwalker
What changes do you make to your art to streamline it (if any)? What's the rational behind your modifications?

We learn each technique broken into steps, then put it together with flow. As we go we pick apart the principles so we understand why and how it works. This step is essential if you are to effectively modify the technique later. Next step is to work up the base technique to street force. It's one thing to practice 'dojo style' and another to deal with force and speed. This is especially true when learning to react to grabs, takedowns, pushes- things where contact has been made and you are at an initial disadvantage. The only way to learn to react and make those slight modificatons/tweaks to stance and position that keep you upright and keep or regain your base is to get hit- hard! Then we work the variables, or what iffs'. What's he doing with the other hand is a common one. Would different foot position (his) change anything? How about clothing- would some styles interfere with any part of the technique? I like to play with the techniques a little as well. Maybe add an angle or two and see if it makes the technique more effective.

As for streamlineing, that implies removing something. I usually don't remove anything from the base technique. Our techniques are designed to teach the principles and to teach you to move. Since we also dummy with appropriate and correct reaction to strikes they teach us to play off his reaction and to set up the next strike. In an actual fight, the streamlining takes care of itself, since you are working off instinct and trained/ingrained responses and moves. I disagree with those styles that teach you to run a particular technique for a particular attack. No disrespect to those who do, but my mind just isn't fast enough to bring up a list before his fist contacts my nose.