PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!Looking for Shaolin teacher

freedom76
06-26-2002, 08:09 PM
I'm looking for a Sonshan Shaolin teacher (perhaps a monk) who is willing to accept a student that can only visit for lessons a couple times a year. I live in Minnesota and there aren't any teachers of that Shaolin school, only the Bak Sil Lum lineage and I didn't particularly like the school there (nothing at all against the forms though, I quite enjoyed those). I've trained in Kung Fu for eight years and have been assisting and teaching for seven years. I've been playing the hong chuans and lohan chuans, as well as tong bei, weapons, and some of the forms I've learned previously that aren't part of this school of shaolin. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know. I can travel anywhere in the US and possibly Canada. I really want a reputable, proficient martial artist that is also a good teacher.

Shaolindynasty
06-27-2002, 07:38 AM
Where did you learn kungfu before?

freedom76
06-27-2002, 08:18 AM
I first started in Chung Moo Doe, reached first degree and helped teach, then I found out what was going on and left. I went to teach at a school after that that taught some Longfist (ten runs similar to a tan tui style, in fact some of the runs were the same but others were different), Hung Gar, Sun Style Bagua, Yang Tai Chi, and Ground Work. I also visited with Li Jinheng (Wushu Master) and discussed things with him. I'm tired of the concept of jack-of-all-trades, master of none. I found I really like the Songshan lineage and I want to learn that style and system. I have good base, now I want to build on it.

David Jamieson
06-27-2002, 08:25 AM
New York state has Yan Ming and Guolin, there are monks in Texas as well. perhaps elsewhere in the States. I have not heard of any of the Song Shan monks being here in Canada where I am although there are many who teach Shaolin Kung Fu here, in particular styles that left the temple many years ago such as Hung Kuen, Wing Chun, Choy Li Fut and Fut Gar. there are also Mantis styles available to be learned, etc, etc, etc.

Perhaps Gene Ching can tune you into where you can get training in the curent songshan curriculum here in N.A.

Peace

GeneChing
06-27-2002, 10:59 AM
I think all the monks in the USA will give privates. They are all very accessible. Their schools are open to the public like any MA school. You just need to go visit them and make arrangements

freedom76
06-28-2002, 04:50 AM
Thank you for your help.
Gene,
I was hoping that the monks here in the US were "open". I'll have to contact them. Any particular one that you'd recommend to contact first? (That may be an unfair question.)

Brad
06-28-2002, 06:39 AM
My teacher here in Ohio knows Hong Quan.

kungfudork
06-28-2002, 10:14 AM
ok, ****it....i can't write my info because of some list autorule....so to get to my website click the www link down by my profile

freedon 76,
my name is dieter and i train at the shaolin kungfu academy in houston texas under shaolin monk shi xing hao. you are more than welcome to come to the school and visit and talk to shi xing hao about what type of training you are looking for,etc. you can also give him a call and explain your situation.....if you goto my website www.kungfu****.com (http://www.kungfu****.com) and click shaolin kungfu at the top right you will be taken to a scan of our brochure that has a contact telephone number listed. good luck,and maybe i will see you there in the future!

respect to all,
dieter
kungfu****@kungfu****.com

Sevan
06-30-2002, 09:42 PM
Any in the inland northwest, Washington, Oregon, Idaho or thereabouts?

Blessings,

Shane

ewallace
07-03-2002, 02:30 PM
Were you referring to Houston when you said there were some monks in Texas?

ewallace
07-10-2002, 10:26 AM
I guess not?

richard sloan
07-11-2002, 10:26 PM
...has the highest concentration of Shaolin monks-

There is Shi Yan Ming, Shi Guolin (Yan Si), Shi Xing Peng (pronounced like pong) and also Heng Xin who has renounced monkhood but still teaches.

Also, Houston has a temple as already mentioned.

Las Vegas will also have some sort of training facility with monks from Shaolin coming over to teach seminars.

Call around. If you have no problem traveling you will have no problem.

Good luck.

freedom76
07-12-2002, 07:43 AM
Thank you to everyone for your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.