PDA

View Full Version : need spin kick help

tei chi anarchy
06-26-2002, 08:11 PM
I need some help on how to do a good spin kick... Does anyone have any techniques? Any help will be appreciated...

SevenStar
06-26-2002, 09:56 PM
What type of spin kick? regardless, be sure to pivot around fully before kicking, so that you can see your opponent. When you first start training spin kicks, do them slowly and with control. you can get faster as you get the technique down. you don't want to sacrifice form for speed.

Mr Punch
06-26-2002, 10:27 PM
Tei chi anarchy. Aren't you the guy who hasn't found a school yet?

Try starting with a front kick. Or a side kick. Or standing on two legs!!:D

tei chi anarchy
06-26-2002, 10:51 PM
I want to be able to do a spin kick, just because of the balance you have to take in... I don't really care if it's correct... Just doing it to improve my balance...

SevenStar
06-26-2002, 11:01 PM
wrong.... you can learn balance by doing stances. Hold golden rooster stance for as long as you can - your balance will get better. trying to learn a kick that you are not ready for just for the sake of balance is all wrong. if you want to be good, start with the basics, especially since you don't have anyone to guide you.

SevenStar
06-26-2002, 11:21 PM
What is your goal with MA?

shaolinboxer
06-27-2002, 06:40 AM
To answer your question, I believe what you want to do is a spinning hook kick.

You body turn completely and you raise your heel to strike the target.

First you need to build up the ability to suddenly spin you body around your center of gravity. Then you need the flexibilty to perform the kick. Then you need to decide the range and function you are interested in training.

A spinning hook kick can be a very powerful technique, but it is an advanced kick and will likely lead to injury if you cannot perform other kicks that are more basic and, frankly, much more useful.

I suggest you start with a side kick and a front kick. Doing an incorrect spinning kick will hurt you.

Begin by lifting you knee above your waist, standing on one leg, and hold it there. That is the key to getting kicks to land. A good knee raise that leaves your body quiet (your opponent doesn't see a lot fo movement that tell them what you are doing). Stretching is the next step.

MA fanatic
07-09-2002, 08:07 PM
I have seen many versions of the Spinning Heel Kick, Spinning Back Kick, and Spinning Crecent Kick. Having sparred with practitioners of virtually all MAJOR arts, I have to say that NO ONE DRILLS AND TIMES SPINNING KICKS BETTER THAN THE KOREANS. Actually, even some Muay Thai full contact kickboxers get some pointers from WTF TKD stylists. The trick is in the timing. Spin kicks are KO kicks used as a counter to round kicks. Koreans would time your round kick, by throwing a spin just as your kick is about to land on their body or head. They also throw spin kicks from various angles and direction (sometimes moving forward, and often even while retreating...it's a set-up). I would get some videos (they're only 20 bucks) from Turtlepress.com. Marco Lala also has a video series called Encyclopedia of Kicking. All his videos (which are top notch) are 19.95. Try those out at www.fightingsecrets.com. The Turtle Press videoas have some counter kicking videos by a Korean master...forget his name, which who set up for KO spin kicks.
MA fanatic

Boffo
07-10-2002, 04:21 PM
Being as I am a WTF TKD person, and did Muay Thai in my younger years, I can vouch for that the spinning hook kick is taught better by Koreans.

That said, if you ever watch quality WTF TKD, people rarely score with the technique, even with the stop hit. Better to score with a back kick or jumping back kick.

But if you land this kick right, then it is KAPOW! The person who gets hit is down.

MA fanatic
07-10-2002, 05:31 PM
I have seen many people teach various versions of this kick, no one makes it work like the WTF TKD guys (good school is important). These guys drill this kick from every possible angle and even from a virtual clinch. The spin back kick and jump spin back kick are better to score with because they go straight in and don't look. However, the Koreans also have various versions of the spin kick. My instructor (5 time Korean National TKD champion) would show this kick in many different ways. His favorite was to add a push under the jaw with the heel as the kick connects with the spin. So he would be spinning, landing with the hard end of the heel, and then snapping his knee out under the jaw. That would give the kick an upper cut like twist. You wouldn't believe the power that kick can generate.
MA fanatic