PDA

View Full Version : Is your style compact?

fa_jing
06-27-2002, 01:42 PM
In Wing Chun, we emphasize compactness in movement. Efficiency, the arms only operate in a restricted area, we guard the centerline, smallish movements, compact kicks and punches.
Our ready position is compact towards the centerline, but our lead arm extends forward. So I think we are a generally compact style, but not in every aspect.

Another compact style: Western Boxing. The punches are NOT compact, but the guard is, the hands are kept close to the body, punches are instantly withdrawn in all cases, the steps are small, and boxing seems a very defensive art to me.

So do you think compactness is important, and how does your style demonstrate your answer?

-FJ

Dark Knight
06-27-2002, 02:44 PM
That describes many styles, but a part of them. What I do is close in, but I intercept, close, trap and try to strike/break when possible.

Kenpo, Kempo and JKD people a have a lot in common, I was taught kenpo drills years ago then find they are WC drills. What you talk about is a part of what we do. Kind of like a sentence, now build the rest of the paragraph then the page.

Leto
06-27-2002, 03:17 PM
I think economy of movement is important (to borrow the phrase from Bruce Lee), and that trait is apparent in styles like Wing Chun (as opposed to, say, competition wushu, or tae kwon do with its super high kicks). Traditional Okinawan karate is also very economical, in a similar manner, with short, low kicks and emphasis on moving attacks away from the 'center line'. (evidence that karate is descended from southern shaolin styles, just like wing chun and choy li fut are) (also note I said 'traditional okinawan karate'...most karate in america right now is not 'traditional' or 'okinawan'. shotokan and kempo karate are the most widespread...and even okinawan styles have become 'modernized' with tournament style fighting, kicks, and the japanese mentality.)

Karate does put more emphasis on single, powerful attacks, and so in some cases 'opens up' with attacks like a chasing punch or a lunging punch.

I think the 'compact' defensive position, like we see western boxers use, is a little limiting...keeping your arms and hands so close to the face limits the range of your attack, as well as impedes your peripheral vision. but boxers don't have to worry about kicks, being swept, or anything below the belt, so it works for them. Also, having the hands so close together, and close to the face, can be taken advantage of...the arms can be trapped against the body quickly, or pushed into the face...Tai Chi chuan push hands sparring can demonstrate that. So my sparring stance is a little more open, for mobility and range...but not so open that I can be pulled off balance by a grab, or kicked in the groin.

I guess it depends on what is meant by 'compactness'. Small sharp movements are good in some situations. Long range attacks have use, too. Depends on where you're fighting, the terrain, as well as your personal ability and preference.

HopGar
06-27-2002, 04:30 PM
Hop Gar has some short range, compact echniques, mostly open hand crane like strikes. We mostly focus on long armed punches, throws, and breaks.

joedoe
06-27-2002, 05:25 PM
Ngor Chor has a lot in common with Wing Chun, and is also a very 'compact' style.

HuangKaiVun
06-27-2002, 06:10 PM
I have four sets, each with little subsections.

It goes "Hands", "Steps", "Kicks", and "Objects". The moves from the sets are mixed and matched in various combinations.

All of my moves are very simple and unassuming ("d0rky looking" in the eyes of one of my students).

SevenStar
06-27-2002, 07:02 PM
MT, shuai chiao, judo and bjj are all compact. I do think that's important, as I want to present as small a target as possible to my opponent. when I'm attacking, I want to strike fast and not leave anything available to grab. also, I want as little space as possible between me and my opponent, which I guess can also be compactness, in a sense.

longfist is not compact, but it does have compact elements to it.

fa_jing
06-27-2002, 07:08 PM
Ngor Chor? Tell me more : )

I am really interested in Southern Styles, but I don't know much about them O/T Wing Chun. I especially like regional styles and stuff like that, I imagine there is all kinds of knowledge out there. They seem a bit secretive, though, no?
More so than the Northern? Or perhaps they are just less well publicized - a lot of the really good teaching and writings have come out of Beijing and Taiwan. And I would also love to know southeast asian arts' take on things, there is Vietnamese, Indosean, etc. adaptations and preservations of Southern chinese Kung fu that drifted further south.
After all, it might be best for me to incorporate more southern CMA techniques into my "right blend" (Starbucks term) of a Kung fu style.
I just like learning.

-FJ

dre
06-27-2002, 07:24 PM
European Fencing, is very much liek Boxing in it's gaurd and "cmpactness". You have a standard gaurd and stance. You sheild and strike from as far away as possible.

Mantis is not compact. For good reason I think. Since the main range is in the Clinch , you can't really afford to have one postion for everything, since your opponent will know where you are at all times. Which might lead to you losing controll of the conflict. Then you'd loose. Better to flow.

fa_jing
06-27-2002, 07:47 PM
They say Lama takes more swinging punches, and Choy Li fut? TKD kicks are a good example, the leg moves almost directly away from the torso.

joedoe
06-27-2002, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by fa_jing
Ngor Chor? Tell me more : )

-FJ

Ngor Chor Kun = Wu Chu Chuan = 5 Ancestors Fist. It is a Shaolin-based Fukkien style. Called 5 Ancestors because it takes its movements from the 5 foundation arts of Monkey, White Crane, Lohan, Tai Tzu, and Da-mo.

Stances are similar to the Wing Chun stances, maybe a little wider. Defensive guard position puts the arms forward and covering the body. Focus is on straight line attacks, with some circular attacks taught.

guohuen
06-27-2002, 09:08 PM
The Escrima style(escrimito) I used to practice was compact. The Ng Ying Kuen I practice now isn't nessessarily compact, but I try to keep it economical.

HopGar
06-27-2002, 09:37 PM
fa jing,
you're right. but there is also a whole 'nother side to hop gar. we have some short range, plus we can shorten those punches up as necessary and they become short range battering rams, if you will (man I hope I don't catch ego's attention here).

gazza99
06-27-2002, 09:55 PM
taiji can be compact
http://pressurepointfighting.com/public_html/dim_mak_taiji_video.htm

Clip #2 is a good example.....

dezhen2001
06-28-2002, 01:43 AM
Joedoe: looks like you're gonna have to tell us ALL about your 5 ancestors :D Hope everything's going well :)

david

JusticeZero
07-04-2002, 03:20 PM
"compact" has certain attributes. My art is -usually- as expansive and non-compact as possible, buit that's related to the core principles at work. When upside down, we have to be able to compact up or expand out immediately depending on the situation, for instance.