PDA

View Full Version : Minorly Rantish, but only sort of...

Merryprankster
06-28-2002, 07:54 AM
To all,

Please do me the favor of not sending me unsolicited e-mails about forum members who have bad kung fu, obviously studied from tapes and don't know what they are talking about, clearly have no concept of the martial applications of their kung fu, etc. It's unwarranted and unwanted.

Nobody is gaining anything from this. It doesn't prove to me that you know what you are talking about--I'm not familiar with most of what is said about these sorts of things because I know very little or nothing about the Masters or people involved or the styles themselves, so I am in no position to judge. All I can do is read it and delete it.

I've learned a lot on this forum, some good and some bad. I don't agree with everything, not everybody agrees with me, that's all fine. I try not to discuss who has good Kung Fu and who doesn't because I don't know. I do talk about training methods, common ideological links etc, because that's the kind of stuff that I think I have something useful to say about. I frequently get bogged down in heated discussions about broadening horizons, what I percieve as logical inconsistencies, or fight strategy and tactics--I even get bogged down about the appropriateness of analogies. I'm no saint--but I don't think I've ever told somebody their system, sifu or knowledge are useless. Mostly I just think you need to beat the crap out of each other once in a while and learn what to do about somebody who wants to take you down and fight you there. :)

You wonder why CMAists are frequently stereotyped as whiney little *****es with little or no connection to reality when it comes to the martial application of martial arts. It's partly because of crap like this--backbiting, infighting and acting like you're "in the know" about who's got the real deal or real skills, etc, makes people look like effete, snobby, sniveling, nincompoops. Closed-door training or discipleship sounds like a joke--an excuse to say "I'm getting the REAL stuff," and look down the nose at other practicioners. It creates the image of the black market salesman, shady deals, and even shadier merchandise. All the talk of humility and light conquering darkness and self-improvement and enlightenment sounds like patronizing hypocrisy--a universally, and rightly, hated quality among people the world over.

A little something from Judo-- "You and me getting better together." That's not the most accurate translation I'm sure, but it outlines a great deal about sharing and openness, rather than skulking about in the shadows.

Fortunately, I've also spent enough time on the board to know that this sort of thing is not the rule and more the exception.

To those who have sent me these e-mails, I am not upset at all. I would just like not to be a recipient of such comments.

Le nOObi
06-28-2002, 07:58 AM
merry prankster has bad kungfu

Merryprankster
06-28-2002, 07:59 AM
LOL!!!

dezhen2001
06-28-2002, 08:08 AM
that sucks :(
take it easy :)

david

ewallace
06-28-2002, 08:10 AM
I just emailed every forum member except you MP. I let them know that your BJJ is bad. That should just about make it even right? :o

rogue
06-28-2002, 08:11 AM
You've got to be kidding!

Water Dragon
06-28-2002, 08:18 AM
You have a fan club?

Merryprankster
06-28-2002, 08:18 AM
ewallace--dude, you have NO idea how often I feel that way. I was watching one of our brown belts demonstrate something and looked at my training partner and said "Hey, you ever feel like you haven't learned a thing?"

Rogue--A small handful. Nothing more.

LOL at Water!!

guohuen
06-28-2002, 08:20 AM
That's hilarious Merryprankster! All that cr*p gives you a headache, doesn't it?

ewallace
06-28-2002, 08:24 AM
Just remember that sooner or later you will be demonstrating a technique and someone else will probably have those same thoughts.

dezhen2001
06-28-2002, 08:27 AM
now you know why we are all demented, stand-offish and crazy :D Or just don't give a **** :D

david

shaolinboxer
06-28-2002, 08:32 AM
Interesting.

dnc101
06-28-2002, 08:36 AM
Has anybody reported this to a moderator?

David Jamieson
06-28-2002, 08:52 AM
Hey, I got enough to deal with already!

MP, hahahaha, a pox on you dude!

"Jimmy's karate really sucks, don't listen to his posts!" hahaha
That is hilarious.

Oh well, whadda ya gonna do? Ya pays ya nickle and ya takes ya chances. :D

Peace

Mutant
06-28-2002, 09:08 AM
MP;
psssttt, here's a little secret: my kung fu sucks...just so ya know not to listen to me.

"You wonder why CMAists are frequently stereotyped as whiney little b!tches with little or no connection to reality when it comes to the martial application of martial arts." :D :D :D

Mr Punch
06-28-2002, 09:33 AM
yup. the ONLY reality i have is that my kungfu sux!

not that anyone listens to me anyway! sniff sniff (That'll be the whining!):D

guohuen
06-28-2002, 09:43 AM
May I recommend a nice stilton with that whine?:D
Now for my whine. I can't seem to remember how to spell anymore and I have a broken finger. (ring finger, right hand. Broken window slammed on first three fingers mon. before last.Didn't know it was broken until two days ago when the swelling went down.):p

Felipe Bido
06-28-2002, 09:53 AM
I don't know about good or bad Kung Fu...I'm just passing through...don't mind me :D

The only e-mail Merryprankster would get from me is about the meat cooked in cow dung (ewww) and mexican chimichurri that we chatted about before. :)

Oh, and the buckback technique..I had forgotten about that.

Former castleva
06-28-2002, 10:04 AM
MP,
If they´re being polite at you,respond them.
If they are constantly selling their own ideas and refusing to listen to anything else,use the precious "BLOCK" button to make sure they can´t send you anymore of that,that should make anyone tired.

Nevermind
06-28-2002, 10:21 AM
Well, either that or a beer! LOL Seriously, I don't understand why people would feel the need to send you emails on people on the forum with bad Kung Fu. You wanna' know what bad Kung Fu is? Laziness! If you are working hard to improve at any martial art, that's good Kung Fu. I'll just go ahead and say that my Kung Fu sux! (at least for now) There. That'll save someone the trouble of emailing you. (o:

No_Know
06-28-2002, 11:56 AM
You exude strength and honesty and tried experience. It's a latch on thing for the insecure or momentary doubters. Something about you seems to be a comfort to some. Superman was special here, but just a man amoungst those like him...But even amoung greats he would have distinguished himself. That the type of person many are (you included)

You must have been Sincere. The last word of the first line of the fourth paragraph of your opening post was not censored. It seems, some might say perhaps. Might be that word being used as a verb doesn't count to being censord. :-) I don't believe that. But it seems cute. -ish :~>

Ryu
06-28-2002, 11:59 AM
Hey, I never get any messages like that.... :( Merry is silently stealing my thunder! *gasping sob* *runs in the bedroom and slams the door* :D

On a serious note....

"A little something from Judo-- "You and me getting better together." That's not the most accurate translation I'm sure, but it outlines a great deal about sharing and openness, rather than skulking about in the shadows. "

Judo..... is there anything it CAN'T do? :)

Ryu

Merryprankster
06-28-2002, 12:06 PM
I've never known judo to make a decent margarita... :)

No_Know--thanks for the kind words. :)

BAI HE
06-28-2002, 12:07 PM
Have you checked out "Martial Musings" by Robert Smith?
If not you should pick it up (Used on Amazon) it's
got a load of Judo info.

Anyways, I'm out of here for tonight.
I'd like to thank the members of the studio audience.
This message was brought to you by our proud sponsors:

Foster's Lager

Depends

Kotex Light Days

and Oxycontin

peace.

Ryu
06-28-2002, 12:08 PM
Hmm well possibly........ but you should see judo dance the Macarena!

Ryu

Ryu
06-28-2002, 12:09 PM
I've passed by the cover a few times I think, but I haven't really looked through it. I'll check it out! thanks.

Ryu

old jong
06-28-2002, 02:43 PM
Must be that your maturity has touched a certain minority who's dealing heavily with the passing of puberty.I'm sure it is not the majority who is doing this!...
Let's all email Ryu instead!;)

KC Elbows
06-28-2002, 03:13 PM
I'll stop sending those if you quit sending me snuff films involving donkeys. It's only fair.

Merryprankster
06-28-2002, 03:26 PM
KC,

Deal!!! :D

KC Elbows
06-28-2002, 03:29 PM
WAIT, I WAS BLUFFING!!!!!

****. It's so hard to get good donkey snuff. Time to find another source.

wushu chik
06-28-2002, 06:42 PM
MP, I agree with ya hole heartedly....but that's just because my Kung Fu really does suck. Hmmm, all that crack, I am telling ya guys, stay away from the crack!!! It really does something to your mind! :D

~Wen~

NPMantis
06-29-2002, 05:20 AM
Hey Merry P,

That's pants, what is the point? I've never had any PM's like that, I'd feel the same way too - who give's a poo anyway how good anyone else's KF is? It's just an internet forum where people can come together and exchange ideas, I'd imagine the people PM'ing you are very young to feel the need to comment on others but they'll probably grow out of it and stop being so concerned with outer people.

Take care,

NPM.

Ps. Can I have some of those donkey vid's too?

Mr Punch
06-29-2002, 06:03 AM
Wait up! Now every freak's coming out and saying their kungfu sucks! this has turned into a 'kungfu sucks outing'! It's a group whinge: :eek: PULL YOURSELVES TOGETHER! What if the mma forum guys sneaked a peek at us now!!

'Sides, I've changed my mind: after today's ass-kickin' session, I'm going to change my name to 'Unstoppable' and take over the world... BWAHAHA! My Kungfu ROCKS!:cool:

BTW,

Originally posted by KC Elbows
WAIT, I WAS BLUFFING!!!!!

****. It's so hard to get good donkey snuff. Time to find another source.

When you find one, let me know: I couldn't fit the last lot I got up my nose! I don't think the donkeys had been ground properly, and the hairs got stuck...