PDA

View Full Version : Ironfist!! HELP!!!

Merryprankster
06-28-2002, 03:30 PM
I need/want to ease back into lifting...

I've been doing total body lifting my whole athletic career, none of the isolation stuff.

Any advice for a guy who doesn't want to tweak his back anymore, but still wants that same, ball-breaking feeling you get from bringing 405 off the ground, or driving 325 out of the hole?

IronFist
06-30-2002, 01:07 PM
Any advice for a guy who doesn't want to tweak his back anymore, but still wants that same, ball-breaking feeling you get from bringing 405 off the ground, or driving 325 out of the hole?

Well, then ease back into it. Start with very light weights and move up. If you've been out of lifting for a long time I'd say start with about 50% of your old 1RM.

I don't know what you mean by "tweak" your back. Did you hurt it or something? Just work up to heavy weights slowly. When deadlifting, keep your abs tight and DON'T lower the weight slowly.

Good luck,

IronFist

Merryprankster
06-30-2002, 01:36 PM
When I say tweak, I mean wrenching it badly enough they had to shoot me up with toridol, and I laid around on my floor for the rest of the day...

Yeah, I guess I'll have to start super light. BAH. I always hated that.

Oddly enough, I blew it out doing about 65% of my max--because I didn't valsalva properly and I just wanted to finish my last rep.

Bad move on my part...

IronFist
06-30-2002, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
Oddly enough, I blew it out doing about 65% of my max--because I didn't valsalva properly and I just wanted to finish my last rep.

How did you not Valsalva properly? Did you hold your breath too long and strain too hard? Just wondering.

IronFist

Merryprankster
07-01-2002, 07:18 AM
Nope, I didn't inhale fully/well and left my midsection ropy instead of tense. The weight got away from me for the first time in about 1000 reps, and I dropped it immediately, but the damage had already been done.

Hydrostatic pressure increases are great.... except when you do them wrong :)