PDA

View Full Version : TOTALLY OT: Anybody have any recipes they like that they want to share?

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 10:14 AM
Hey, they call chefs Sifu in China... why not a recipe thread. I know it'll be moved, but at least it'll get some traffic here.

Try this:

Red Thai Chicken Curry

This takes almost no effort using prepared red curry paste and you’ll look like a genius. You could make your own paste, but that’s too much trouble for me. Find a good commercial brand and stick with it. I use Mae Ploy. This stuff does NOT taste of Indian-typ curry powder, however, it can be murderously hot. Tweak the amount of curry paste you use to suit yourself.

2T peanut or vegetable oil
2T red curry paste
2T peeled, minced or grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced finely
1 tsp finely minced lemon zest
14 oz canned coconut milk
¼ cup fish sauce (I like Tiparos)
juice of 1 lemon
12 oz boneless chicken sliced about ½ in thick
1 large red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 cup green onion, in 1 inch pieces, green tops and white
parts separated
¼ cup loose, coarsely chopped basil leaf

Heat a large skillet or wok over medium heat and add the oil and curry paste. Stir the paste until there are no more lumps and the aroma has been released. Add the ginger, garlic, and lemon zest and sauté until all is fragrant. Add the coconut milk and fish sauce and stir to incorporate all ingredients. Allow this to simmer until the flavors have blended. Add lemon juice to taste. Add the chicken. About 2 or 3 minutes before the chicken is done, add the red bell pepper and the white part of the green onions. About a minute later, add the tops of the green onions and cook just until the vegetables are bright in color and have lost their raw taste, but are still crisp. Take the curry off the heat and stir in the basil. Serve with cooked rice.

MonkeySlap Too
06-29-2002, 10:32 AM
Oh man, great thread. I think I accept the title sifu here. I gotta run, when I return I'll post my recipe for 'Korean-style' smoked sausages.

mantis108
06-29-2002, 10:36 AM
Hi MP,

Here's my counter to your Thai Chicken Curry. ;) :D [I think this will keep it on topic here, lol....]

To balance the hot and spicy of the curry, try this easy soup:

1 can of cream style corn (Del Monte is the best)
1 can of chicken broth (Swansons is the best)
1 can of crab meat (President's Choice is great) *drian the liquid.
2 eggs (organic if possible) beaten
1 tb of Apple Ciddar Vinegar
white pepper to taste
Garnish with a bit of pepperika (optional)

Simply add cream style corn and the broth to pan and bring it to a broil. Add crab meat let it cook for 2-3 minutes more. Add the eggs using chop sticks. The "technique" is important here if you want a nice looking soup. Let the eggs run down the chopsticks and keep stirring so that the eggs don't form big pieces. It should look more like the shredded crap meat. Finally, add the ciddar vinegar and white pepper. Enjoy :D

[I wonder what's the counter to that?]

Mantis108

Black Jack
06-29-2002, 10:44 AM
I don't know if you like vegetarian cooking Merry but I enjoy this little burmese dish, I picked it up from a buddy o' mine.

Burmese Veggies with Hot Peppers

3 tb Sunflower oil or vegetable broth
1 1/2 cup Bell peppers, red-sliced
1/2 cup Bell peppers, green-sliced
1 1/2 cup Snow peas
1 1/2 cup Bok choy-sliced
1/2 cup Baby Leeks-sliced
1 cup Carrots-thinnly sliced
1/8 ts Fresh red Chilies-chopped
1 Garlic Clove-sliced
4 ts Tamari

Take a wok, heat up your oil over high heat until hot but not smoking, toss in the vegetables and seasonings and stir fry for about 2 minutes, stirring about 3-5 times; the vegetables should be crunchy. Remove and serve with brown rice. My girlfriend also likes to serve it with purple cabbage..

btw, I love FOOD!

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 11:05 AM
I love food too, and love vegetables.

I'm actually working on a cookbook. Don't worry, I won't steal any of these ancient secrets without asking or credit, LOL.

Black Jack--looks good.

Mantis--I believe that is a fairly recent chinese invention (recent in the sense that corn is a new world food), but I cannot remember if it is Shanghai in origin or Hong Kong.

I'm familiar with the technique for making "egg flowers" in soup :)

Suggestion--rather than creamed corn, use scraped corn from the cob, a little cornstarch to give the soup some body and add some soaked sliced wood ear mushrooms. Beat some sesame oil into the eggs and it will help them keep silky strands in the soup :)

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 02:03 PM
Ok, here's another, just to keep things moving...

Tomato, Avocado and Green Onion with Cheese in a Great Big Bowl….

I have absolutely no idea if there is a real name for this salad. I discovered it at a party in Acapulco and ate entirely too much of it before slipping into a hot tub and smoking a stogie, margarita in hand. I became so enamored with the salad that I never forgot it. The house it was held in is on a cliff side at the north end of Acapulco Bay, and looks out over the entire city, while ocean breezes come in from the west. I didn’t get a chance to talk to the chef who was doing the catering, but I think I got pretty close to what he did. Thanks to the avacado, this doesn’t keep very well, although, put in the coldest part of the refrigerator, it is sometimes passable the next day if allowed to warm up just a bit. Serve as part of a meal, and invite some friends. While I’m not big on stogies, the margaritas are optional, but highly encouraged. It’s a summer thing. Don’t bother in winter or you’ll be all cross from the results.

4-5 cups diced ripe tomatoes
3-4 cups diced avocado
1 cup green onion, finely sliced
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
¾ cup crumbled queso fresco (If you can’t find this, substitute
a mild feta, and use a bit less of it)
Lime juice
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly, but gently, having lime juice and olive oil on standby. When all is mixed well, add just enough lime juice and mix to bring all flavors to the forefront. It shouldn’t TASTE like lime, but there should be just a light hint of its flavor, add enough olive oil to make the salad glisten, but no more than that. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve. It’s not too shabby as a dip for tortilla chips and actually makes a good tortilla filling as well.

Former castleva
06-29-2002, 02:08 PM
A pizza baker can be called "Sensei" in Japan.

Sorry,don´t have any good food recipes.
But I´d really enjoy good,simple dit da jow recipes in english,with non-exotic ingredients.
Thanks!
:)

old jong
06-29-2002, 02:33 PM
One rank of minced beef.
one rank of corn.(In grain)
one rank of mashed potatoes.
There you have the famous "Paté Chinois" ;)
This meal was invented by the railroad company who was looking for an economical and nutritive way to feed the thousands of Chinese workers who builded the transcontinental railway in Canada. So the Paté Chinois "Chinese Paté" became a traditionnal meal in Canada and particulary in French Quebec.

mantis108
06-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Hi MP,

Thanks for the suggestions. They should work with this receipe. Personally, I don't like thick soup (too western) ;) . I don't mind thick soup but would prefer more broth like soup. Being a Cantonese, our soups are more like tonics and are important part of our diet. BTW, instead of cornstarch some chefs prefer to use water chestnuts starch. Actually, you can change this soup into a sauce for deep fried white fish fillets. You are right about the "newness" of this receipe. Cantonese cuisine, which is the root of HK cuisine, uses quite a few "foriegn" ingrediens. Milk is another interesting addition. There are deep fried milk and stir fried milk dishes in "traditional" Cantonese cuisine. ;)

Mantis108

PS the scrap corn on the cob is a great idea, but is way to much work for a quickie. lol...

mantis108
06-29-2002, 03:09 PM
Hi Old Jong,

Interesting Paté Chinois. That's kind of like the Sherpard pie, right? Interesting history though. I like dishes that has some history background to it. Thanks for sharing a traditional Quebec dish. So there are more traditional Quebec dishes than just Poutine ( I can just heard the calories, lol...).

Manits108

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 03:23 PM
Yup... fried milk with crab. Not too shabby. :)

Yeah, I don't like super thick soups either. However, you will lose some body because you are using fresh scraped corn rather than creamed corn, so I was suggesting that as a replacement. Any starch, really would work.

Have you considered, for a more formal occasion, garnishing with slivers of yunan ham?

I personally like, as silly and boring as it sounds, won ton soup, but I hate the way it's made in most restaurants. I make my own won tons with ground chicken and eggwhite and some ginger and a very light hand with any other seasonings and thin out the stock just a hair and add a couple of smashed ginger slices to the stock to simmer a bit while I make the won tons. Most restaurants use a wrapper that is MUCH too thick.

Finding really good chinese food is hard--as hard as finding good CMA!!! The abominations normally served as egg flower soup and hot and sour soup should be given to the cat. Unless it's chinese. Then it would refuse.

I still haven't convinced my girlfriend to try hot and spicy tripe or looed chicken's feet.

wushu chik
06-29-2002, 08:44 PM
I couldn't find my recipe, so I got this one off the food network website. It's where I had mine from, and people love them when I have company, and I make them!! NUMMY!!!

Chicken Sates with Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce

1 cup well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
3/4 teaspoon ground coriander seeds
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 whole skinless boneless chicken breast (about 3/4 pound)
10 (8-inch) bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce, recipe follows
In a small bowl stir together coconut milk, soy sauce, curry powder, and ground coriander until combined well. Stir in cornstarch, mixing thoroughly.

Cut chicken lengthwise into 10 (1/2-inch-thick) strips and add to cornstarch mixture, stirring to coat. Marinate chicken, covered and chilled, at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours, refrigerated.

Prepare grill. Thread 1 piece chicken onto each skewer and grill on a oiled rack set 5 to 6 inches over glowing coals until cooked through, about 3 minutes on each side. Serve with Spicy Sichuan Peanut Sauce.

Spicy Szechuan Peanut Sauce:
1 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup Asian sesame oil
3 tablespoons rice vinegar (not seasoned)
2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
2 tablespoons grated peeled fresh gingerroot
1 1/2 teaspoons Asian chili paste* or 1 teaspoon dried hot red pepper flakes
1 tablespoon hoisin sauce*, or to taste
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
3/4 cup water

*available at Asian markets, some specialty foods shops, and supermarkets

In a blender or food processor blend all ingredients with salt, to taste, until smooth. If not using immediately, transfer sauce to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Peanut sauce keeps, covered and chilled, 1 week.

Yield: 2 1/2 cups

Yield: 10 sates
Prep Time: 1 hour 20 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes

~Just remember, MAKE A LOT, because they are a fave among guests~

Merryprankster
06-30-2002, 07:57 AM
Hey, good one Wushu!

guohuen
06-30-2002, 08:24 AM
Thanks, chestnut starch is permanently logged in the memory bank.

fa_jing
07-01-2002, 10:05 AM
My favorite recipe:

Marry an excellent cook, concentrate on bringing home a paycheck so she has time to make things.

Some things I've eaten in the few months:
Tongue
Heart
Tripe
Tendon

We just picked up 2 lb. Dengunese crabs from Chinatown, last night we had one simmered in olive oil, garlic, ginger, and basil.

Fresh fish is waiting in the freezer.

-FJ

Qi dup
07-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Great thread everyone! I'm getting started on MP's Red Thai Chicken Curry pretty soon here, and then I'll try the others. kick ass!

Tigerstyle
07-01-2002, 12:11 PM
Take two slices of bread and... um...

Dang! I'll have to look in my cookbook and get back to you guys with the rest of it.

mantis108
07-01-2002, 12:18 PM
MP,

Didn't know that you are a fan of Chinese cuisine. That's very cool. :D

Won Ton is considered the signature snack dish of Canton. Kind of famous like fish n' chips that it is one of the best comfort foods for Cantonese people. The really classical WT is very hard to make. If you have seen the movie "Tempopo", you would understand the Kung Fu it takes to make a good noodle. It is no difference with the WT. The Won Ton dumppling, the noodles, and the broth are each an art of their own. Most importantly, the best WT noodle or "Sai Yong" as it is affectionately called in the side walk food stalls and small noodle houses, has to be finished in couple of bits (remember it is a snack). Come to think of it, it is a Chinese paradox that you prepare fast food with long and intense effort. So... Anyway the hugh portion that is commonly served in most North American restaurants is really againt the spirit of this classical dish.

Guohuen,

You are most welcome. :) Water Chestnuts starch is fruitier than cornstarch. Expansive shark fin soup would use it as well instead of cornstarch as a thickening agent.

Qi dup,

Hope you enjoy the receipes.

Mantis108

Merryprankster
07-01-2002, 03:38 PM
The best part is that it's like martial arts.... different noodle and dumpling houses have their own recipes and people argue about whose is better.

Having made dumplings and noodles from scratch, and stock and whatnot, I can say it DOES take awhile. I love noodle shops. I love bowls of noodles in clear broth. Pho is my current favorite :)

I'll bring some other recipes on-line soon!

wooha
07-02-2002, 07:10 AM
Great Thread :)

Every couple of weeks or so I make a huge pot of chicken broth that just about lasts me the whole two weeks. It takes an entire day to simmer but I love doing it that way.

I hate these flavour enhancers like MSG they put in everything nowadays instead of real stock. You miss out on all the goodness that traditional broth has in it, and the taste is nothing like the real thing.

Check out this link for loads of info about all the goodness old-fashioned broth has to offer, as well as recipes:

Broth is Beautiful (http://www.westonaprice.org/foodfeatures/broth.html)

crumble
07-02-2002, 08:13 AM
This is one of the best recipes in the world. Make a double batch and and invite me over for dinner!

Strange Flavor Fish

1 fresh fish, 1½-2 pounds after gutting
1 teaspoon kosher salt

Aromatics:
1 tablespoon chopped ginger
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoon chopped scallions (green and white parts)
½ teaspoon red chili flakes

Liquid seasonings:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1½ balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons water

oil for deep frying

PREPARE THE FISH
1. Clean fish, flush with cold water, pat dry.
2. Score the fish with a sharp knife, holding the blade verticle, cut 45 degree diagonal lines angling from the front to the back of the fish. Start about an inch from the gills and cut parallel lines every 1¼ inches. Cut about ¾ through the fish. (This will allow the middle of the fish to cook -- and you can easily pull off the flesh with a fork or chopsticks).
3. Rub the fish with the salt, making sure some gets deep into the score marks.

DEEP-FRYING THE FISH
1. Use a large heavy skillet that can hold the fish with inches to spare. Heat oil until oil is hot and the surface looks hazy (400 degrees). While oil is heating pat fish dry.
2. Grabbing fish by its tail, slowly lower into the oil. The oil will bubble vigourously and may splatter.
3. As the fish fries, gently spin the fish in the oil to keep it from sticking. Flip fish and/or ladle over the top of the fish if using a small amount of oil, to ensure complete cooking.
4. Cooking is complete after 3-5 minutes, the top of the scores will be slightly golden brown and the flesh in the score will be fully cooked. Remove fish from oil and drain on paper towels.

MAKING THE SAUCE
1. Combine all the liquid ingredients in a small bowl.
2. Heat a heavy skillet over high heat, until hot enough to evaporate a bead of water on contact.
3. Coat the pan with 2 tablespoons of frying oil.
4. When oil is hot enough to sizzle a bit of garlic, add the garlic, ginger, scallions one by one, allowing each to release its aroma before adding the next. Add the chili flakes last.
5. Quickly stir in the liquids. Bring to a simmer. Cook the sauce just long enough to boil off most of the vinegar taste, leaving the sauce sweet and spicy with a tangy edge of vinegar. (Taste often to track how the sauce changes while simmering!)

Place fish on a platter and pour sauce evenly over the fish. Serve immediately. The score marks should help the meat should pull off the bones. Don't forget to each the fish cheeks (little pieces of flesh lying atop the gills) and the soft flesh near the tail.

-crumble

Qi dup
07-03-2002, 06:46 PM
Great recipe MP! I just got doen with the red thai curry chicken and it was incredible! My dad has been in the resturant business for 14 years and he was very impresed. let us know when your cook book comes out, I'll be sure to pick it up!

jun_erh
07-04-2002, 03:26 PM
what's fun is to get a real high calorie recipe like fried chicken and post it at one of those anorexia web sites. kind of cruel but maybe those people need a little abuse.

jun_erh
07-04-2002, 03:30 PM
http://www.boardbot.com/boards/ATOB/2503.html

check out the rest of it, definately one of the saddest, most demented boards I've ever seen (besides this one of course)

joedoe
07-04-2002, 05:32 PM
Put 1.5 cups of water into a pot. Put on high heat until boiling. Be careful not to burn it.

Merryprankster
07-04-2002, 08:08 PM
Qi dup--Thanks! I appreciate it very much.

LOL at Joe Doe!!!

Serpent
07-04-2002, 08:23 PM
Pick up telephone.

Dial your favourite home delivery service.

Enjoy well cooked food, without the bother of cooking!

You don't even need to wash up if you eat it straight from the container!

Disclaimer: I actually enjoy cooking and this is purely a lameass joke.

Mr Punch
07-04-2002, 08:53 PM
Some of those recipes look nice!

Me, I love soup!!!

Try this:

Soup a la regle (or whatever queen is in French... Old Jong where are you!!)

One large cooking onion (strong, not those big watery Spanish onions);
Two heads of lettuce (any kind; include those mushy half rotten leaves you maybe should have chucked away);
Two large potatos (white and floury: good creamers);
Salt and fresh pepper;
A wee drob of olive oil.

Slice the onion thinly enough to see through. Sautee until slightly caramelized. Add chopped potatos, water and salt. Bring to the boil and simmer til soft. Add torn lettuce for two minutes. Take off heat and whack it in a liquidizer!!! Add pepper to taste. Simple, healthy and very nice!!

You can add a knob of butter and/or cream if it's too healthy for you, and some people use chicken stock but I find the delicate flavour is just what you need as a palate cleanser sometimes, as an hors d'oeuvre, or for hangovers!!

Side note (short rant!): Some people like their spuds peeled for a creamier consistancy. I like mine with the skins for that little extra flavour and fibre. Bear in mind that something like 90% of the vitamin C in tatties is in the 3% of the tuber under the skin, and most of the minerals and other vits too, so don't throw it away! However, potato skins are like a sponge for nutrients, so most agrichemical residues are in the same part. Most farmers everywhere in the world use some nasty **** on potatos, and scrubbing won't get rid of it. Buy organic if you can!

Side note II: tearing lettuce: Some people say that the metal in kitchen blades reacts badly to some veggies. Some people say it will taint the flavour. The only scientific evidence I've seen is that any kind of handling of veggies can destroy fragile surface vit C carrying cells membranes: another reason to buy local! And that conversely, aubergine (that's egg-plant!) will dull your knives! However, I tear lettuce in this recipe and in salads cos that's the way my granny showed me!!

Mr Punch
07-04-2002, 09:15 PM
By the way, I've got loads more!! I used to run a restaurant and I cook all the time! I love it...

I don't want to hog the thread but just ask if you do want any more!!!:D

Mr Punch
07-07-2002, 08:01 AM
Anybody got any good recipes for Chinese Hot and Sour Soup?

My girlfriend's grandmother makes it with some kind of stock enhancing sauce, called something like 'sa-te' in Cantonese, sometimes used with chicken (her bottle had a chicken on the side of it...!): not to be confused with satay sauce ! ... But does anyone know anything else about this mystery ingredient?!

Merryprankster
07-07-2002, 06:46 PM
I have a recipe for Thai hot and sour...

I'll see what I can come up with later. It's been a bit since I've made it. It looks a lot like the curry recipe, actually :)

Leimeng
07-08-2002, 06:38 PM
Here is one for you. It is called Chicken Tava. It is Turkish. Be careful though, it grows on you and becomes addictive.

Take a few pounds of chicken. De-bone and cut in to 1 inch pieces. Add some salt, black pepper, a few heads of garlic (more or less if you want), a few pieces of chrushed chili pepper ( I like it real hot so LOTS). Then dice up a red bell pepper, an onion or two, and mix into the mixture. Add one can of tomato paste and rub into the chicken and veggies with spices. Let sit for a few hours.
Heat the oven to 350. Place the chicken in a shallow dish or cast iron pan, add a bit of hard white cheese to it and bake it for 35 minutes. Pull out of the oven and serve with rice.
A better way of baking it than the shallow dish is to take the clay bottoms of 8" flower pots. Soak for about an hour in hot water, then rub the surface with some oil. Spoon some of the chicken mixture on the surface and cook for 30 minutes. The dish will be HOT when you take it from the oven, but you can serve each individual a single dish for their own. It is closer to authentic that way.

Enjoy.

Sin Loi

Yi Beng, Kan Xue

Merryprankster
07-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Mat, I would never consider this to be stock enhancing, but have you ever heard of Sriracha chili sauce? It has a chicken on the side....

red5angel
07-09-2002, 02:03 PM
OK, have you ever noticed those big fluffy white "cakes" or "buns" that you see in kungfu movies every once in a while? What the heck are they and how the heck do you make them?!

Ky-Fi
07-09-2002, 02:27 PM
This one is really great in the summer- (also good made w/shrimp instead of chicken)--

Rainbow Peanut Noodles

1/2 pound thin noodles, such as linguine, cooked until just tender, rinsed under cold water, drained, and tossed with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

5 carrots, peeled and grated
2 English (seedless) cucumbers, peeled,
halved lengthwise, seeded, shredded, and squeezed dry
2 cups bean sprouts, rinsed and drained
1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded, and cut into thin strings (about 1 cup)
2 cups sliced cooked chicken (cut into thin strips)

1-1/2 tablespoons minced scallion greens
Chinese Peanut Dressing (below)

1. Arrange the noodles in a large serving bowl.

2. Arrange the vegetables in concentlic circles over the noodles and then pile the chicken in the center. Sprinkle the scallions on top.

3. Serve at room temperature or chilled, with the Chinese peanut dressing.

Chinese Peanut Dressing
My refrigerator would seem empty without a batch of this all-purpose peanut butter-based sauce. I serve it with vegetable and noodle salads, and as a go-with-anything dipping sauce.

One 1/2 inch-thick slice fresh ginger, peeled
and sliced in half
8 cloves garlic, peeled
1 teaspoon hot chile paste,or more to taste (more!!!--suggestion from Ky-Fi:))
1/2 cup smooth peanut butter, or more if necessary
1/4 cup soy sauce
3-1/2 tablespoons sugar
3-1/2 tablespoons Chinese black vinegar
or Worcestershire sauce
3 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
5 tablespoons Chinese Chicken Broth or water,
or more if necessary

In a food processor fitted with the metal blade or in a blender, finely chop the ginger and garlic. Add the remaining ingredients in the order listed and process until smooth. The dressing should be the consistency of heavy cream. If it is too thick, add more water or chicken broth; if too thin, add more peanut butter. Refrigerated, in a covered container, the dressing will keep for 2 to 3 weeks.

Makes about 1-3/4 cups

Recipes from:

Asian Noodles
Deliciously Simple Dishes to Twirl, Slurp, and Savor
by Nina Simonds
Photographs by Christopher Hirsheimer
Hearst Books, an Affiliate of William Morrow & Company, Inc.

Ky-Fi
07-09-2002, 06:18 PM
While we're on the subject, I would like to heartily recommend a cookbook I bought recently. It's called

"The Folk Art of Japanese Country Cooking", by Gaku Homma.

The author is the head chef/ owner of a Japanese restaurant in Denver, was a curator of a folk art museum in Japan, and is also an Aikido sensei who was a live-in student of M. Ueshiba. Tons of great recipes, plus lots of stories about the history and meaning of the food, and the traditions behind it. And as he grew up in rural Northern Japan, he focuses on that type of simple country food, rather than what he describes as the upper-class "Samurai" food found in most Japanese restauants. A nice book.

Helicopter
07-10-2002, 05:18 AM
Red5A,
I think that you might be referring to baozi they sell 'em everywhere in China they're like a breakfast snack food. Me and my mate lived on them when we were over there.

They're steamed bread rolls that are stuffed with something, we think it was pork mince and spring onion type stuff, but they were delicious.

I'm sure I've got a recipe somewhere, but I never tried to make them (I guess I thought it probably wouldn't be the same.) I'll see if I can dig it out.

jpcm

Lice
07-10-2002, 11:05 AM
Red5A,

Usually, I believe those are pork buns. You might want to check out http://chinesefood.about.com as they will probably have a recipe in their file or definitely in their message boards.

Justa Man
07-10-2002, 01:04 PM
they can have pork, chicken, beef, lotus stuff (?), even coconut (a personal favorite). they are all slammin. you should hit up your local dim sum place for "my lay go". looks like a twinkie kind of. sh!t is slaaaaaamin.

here's my current favorite recipe...

2 avacados
half clove of garlic,
half tomatoe,
half green onion (scallion)
half yellow pepper
juice of half a lime
a stalk or two of celery

peel and mash the avacado, chop up the veggies, add em up, pour the juice in, salt to taste, and BAM, you got some good @ss tasting guacamole that packs a great source of energy and is mad good for you too. :)

i have this about 3-4 times a week right now. children, can you say "addict"?

Chang Style Novice
07-10-2002, 01:51 PM
So you're still alive, eh Justa? When can I expect my side of the trade?

Gabriel
07-10-2002, 06:06 PM
I can share my fav recipe with you all now.

I always like to whip my eggs (4) for a solid minute. Maybe even two. Make sure to pour the egg out of the container onto the pan with a similar consistency throughout, so as your mixture will not be "clumpy". Then I can safely make the best sunny side up eggs that I can make. This is only my method. IMHO the eggs go well with SMACK ramen noodles, especially the spicy flavor. Make sure to use two flavor packs, as this makes it really scrumptious. Generally, I microwave on high for 3 minutes. If I really want to spice up my meal, Ill boil the water. Now, there are two schools of thought as far as how to prepare the noodles themselves: There are those that like to not break up the noodles at all. Then, there are those that like to break up the noodles into managable bites. IMHO, the managable bites method is preferrable, less messy. Depending on preference, one can use a spoon or a fork. The spoon is obviously utilized to get the brothy goodness, but the fork can snare more of the noodles. I suppose one could use a spoon AND a fork. Or a spork, if they can find it.Serve with two vanilla flavored cokes with a swirly straw.

i have lots of similar recipes if anyone's interested. I like to call them my Bohemian recipes.

Gabriel

Merryprankster
07-15-2002, 02:10 AM
Try this....

Tomato, Avocado and Green Onion with Cheese in a Great Big Bowl….

I have absolutely no idea if there is a real name for this salad. I discovered it at a party in Acapulco and ate entirely too much of it before slipping into a hot tub and smoking a stogie, margarita in hand. The house it the party was in is on a cliff side at the north end of Acapulco Bay, and looks out over the entire city, while ocean breezes come in from the west. I didn’t get a chance to talk to the chef who was doing the catering, but I think I got pretty close to what he created. Thanks to the avacado, this doesn’t keep very well, although, put in the coldest part of the refrigerator, it is sometimes passable the next day if allowed to warm up just a bit. Serve as part of a meal, and invite some friends. While I’m not big on stogies, the margaritas are optional, but highly encouraged. This dish is a summer thing. Don’t bother in winter or you’ll be all cross from the results.

4-5 cups diced ripe tomatoes
3-4 cups diced avocado
1 cup green onion, finely sliced
½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
¾ cup crumbled queso fresco (If you can’t find this, substitute a mild feta, and use a bit less of it)
Lime juice
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper

Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly, but gently, having lime juice and olive oil on standby. When all is mixed well, add just enough lime juice and mix to bring all flavors to the forefront. It shouldn’t TASTE like lime, but there should be just a light hint of its flavor, add enough olive oil to make the salad glisten, but no more than that. Salt and pepper to taste, and serve. It’s not too shabby as a dip for tortilla chips and actually makes a good tortilla filling as well.

Next up will be my chicken vindaloo recipe, my jerk marinade, and I'll get around to a Won Ton soup recipe. I hope this thread doesn't die... it keeps me going on recording recipes. It's a real pain in the ass--I do everything by taste and feel so writing them down... BAH!

Merryprankster
08-18-2002, 08:09 AM
Chicken Kabob, Central Asian Style.

I hesitate to slap "Persian," "Afghan," "Tajik," "Pushtan," etc on food from the Central Asia. It's all very similar with some minor adjustment and quirks here and there as you move about. Kumiss anyone? I've been eating these for years, remarking on the use of cinnamon in the seasoning rub, and never really doing anything about it. I used hibiscus flowers rather than sumac, because that's what I had in the house. You can find them at almost any mexican or latin american market, but you'll have to grind them yourself. Hope you like this--it was a hit at the party last night. I'll adjust the quantities later maybe :) Cumin and cardamom add some savory undercurrents, whereas cinnamon's sweetness offsets the floral tartness of the hibiscus. No garlic. Can you believe it? Ginger might be nice, but not too much. This is subtlely aggressive. Maybe it's an "internal recipe?"

Anyway, here goes.

6 lbs chicken breast, cut into 1.5 inch chunks
2 onions, cut into 1 inch chunks, and seperated into individual squares.
1/2 cup of ground hibiscus flower
1 tsp cumin seeds
2 sticks of cinnamon
1.5 tsp cardamom
juice of one lime
2 T of olive oil or ghee
Salt and Ground pepper to taste

Toast the cumin and cardamom seeds until they start to release their fragrance, and grind them together with the cinnamon (a small electric coffee grinder works well. I have one that NEVER touches coffee). Reserve. Throw some hibiscus flowers in the grinder, and grind away. Keep adding more flowers as needed until you have about 1/2 cup. Combine with the reserved spice mixture, and add salt and pepper to taste. Remember, you've got 6 lbs of chicken, so you can be a bit generous with the salt. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients, and then SMELL the bowl. That's right, get your face down in there. What you want is to be able to smell everything. The hibiscus should be prominent, but it shouldn't smell like a garden. The cumin and cardomom should make your mouth water, but it shouldn't smell like southwestern chili, nor should it smell like cinnamon toast from the oven. Adjust the spices as necessary. Allow to sit, covered in the fridge, overnight.

Soak a bunch of bamboo skewers, and assemble, starting with chicken and alternating with onion. I used four and four, and I think it made around 25 skewers. Grill until done

Serpent
08-18-2002, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by Gabriel
I can share my fav recipe with you all now.

I always like to whip my eggs (4) for a solid minute. Maybe even two. Make sure to pour the egg out of the container onto the pan with a similar consistency throughout, so as your mixture will not be "clumpy". Then I can safely make the best sunny side up eggs that I can make. This is only my method. IMHO the eggs go well with SMACK ramen noodles, especially the spicy flavor. Make sure to use two flavor packs, as this makes it really scrumptious. Generally, I microwave on high for 3 minutes. If I really want to spice up my meal, Ill boil the water. Now, there are two schools of thought as far as how to prepare the noodles themselves: There are those that like to not break up the noodles at all. Then, there are those that like to break up the noodles into managable bites. IMHO, the managable bites method is preferrable, less messy. Depending on preference, one can use a spoon or a fork. The spoon is obviously utilized to get the brothy goodness, but the fork can snare more of the noodles. I suppose one could use a spoon AND a fork. Or a spork, if they can find it.Serve with two vanilla flavored cokes with a swirly straw.

i have lots of similar recipes if anyone's interested. I like to call them my Bohemian recipes.

Gabriel

This is a joke, right? Microwaved insta-noodles and eggs is a recipe?

:eek: :confused:

{i^(
08-22-2002, 12:17 PM
24 habanero peppers, tops and seeds removed
1 lb. lean ground pork
1/4 cup water chestnuts, diced
1/4 cup grated carrot
1/4 cup chinese cabbage, diced
1/4 cup cayenne sauce (Tabasco d00d!)
1/4 cup bread crumbs
Butter
1/4 tsp. liquid smoke flavoring

(you can just use a food processor for the veggies- coarse chop...)

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Mix the pork, vegetables, sauce, liquid smoke and bread crumbs. Stuff each pepper with approximately 1 tbsp. of mixture. Arrange peppers in single depth on baking sheets well greased with butter. Bake for 45 minutes. Serves 24 (one apiece, if you're not from Texas) or 2 (if you are).

Serve with lots of beer and bread....

fa_jing
08-26-2002, 12:24 PM
just an ingredients list:

"Rondon," specialty of San Andres and Providencia Islands (and was this sunday evening's meal) it is a coconut-based stew:

Coconut
Water
Espinoso Yam
Yuca
Green Plantain
Red Snapper (that's a fish)
Fresh Conch
Pig's tail
Basil, Cumin, salt, some other spices

MMMmm mmm good!

NorthernMantis
10-20-2002, 09:42 PM
ttt

Chang Style Novice
10-20-2002, 09:56 PM
I've posted the recipe for deep fried cambodian giant tree spiders with garlic and rock salt already on another thread.

Well, sorta.

Merryprankster
12-22-2008, 09:06 AM
ttt

mother****er

SimonM
12-22-2008, 09:43 AM
This is a very common dish in Northern China; don't ask me why it is called Fish Flavoured... it doesn't taste like fish.

you need:

small cup of cold water with 3 tbsp of corn starch mixed into it. Do not allow to settle if you prepare in advance.

1 cup of chicken stock.

set aside

To a bowl add

2 tbsp hoisin sauce
2 tbsp sherry
1 tbsp black vinegar (shanxi or balsamic both work)
1 tbsp soya sauce
the juice of half an orange

Mix these ingredients together and set aside.

Cut:

1 large eggplant or 2 Chinese eggplants into 1/2 - 1 inch wide pieces.
Steam these until cooked and set aside.

Cut:
1/2 of a pork tenderloin cut into 1/4 inch slices.

dice:

1/2 of a garlic and 3 green onions - set aside each separately

In a large skillet add a drop of oil, the garlic and hot peppers to taste. Do not use too much oil, apply heat until the garlic is toasted.

Add the sliced pork and cook on both sides until the outside of the pork is white. at this point add the hoisin sauce / sherry mix.

Cook until pork nearly fully cooked through and until sauce begins to thicken; be careful not to burn sauce. Add chicken stock and mix. Cook until sauce begins to boil. Add cornstarch / cold water mix to sauce and cook until it's a (relatively) gross-looking brownish sludge (should be thicker than gravy). Add soya sauce to taste for extra salt and to darken sauce.

Add eggplant and 1/2 of diced green onion, mix and cook 30 seconds.

Remove from heat and put into serving dish. Sprinkle remaining diced green onion on top.

Serve with rice or other Chinese dishes.

TenTigers
12-22-2008, 12:24 PM
Geurng-Chung (yao)

Man, I love this stuff. I put it on everything.
You can use more or less oil-depending on your taste. Same goes with salt. I like it a bit salty.

It's real easy to make (especially if you have a food processor)

take equal parts of geurng (ginger) and chung (scallions/green onion) mince finely-easier in a food processor. about 1/2 cup each place in a bowl, or jar.
Heat about 1/3 cup oil in wok or skillet, add salt-about 1/4 tsp, or more to taste. I used canola oil with omega-3 and dha.
Pour the oil over the mixture and stir -DONE
keep it in the fridge for about a week-but trust me, it will only last a few days.

This is great with steamed chicken and rice.
BUT-It is great just over rice,

AND..it is really great with eggs (sunny side up, or over easy) on rice.

add some steamed choi on the side and you are EAT-TING!

TenTigers
12-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Reprinted from the food and beer thread:
Thanx, Xia! Just got 'Voodoo in the Kitchen" this, to me is the Holy Grail of Cajun food, only because it has some of the recipies that made The Bayou resterant in Bellmore, LI famous.
To thank Xia, and also to shut up Cjurakpt about the "butterknife incident"
(he is soooo jealous) I am sharing their recipe for the best Gumbo you ever tasted, including how to make a roux-which is crucial
So, throw on some Zydeco,open up a bottle of Blackened Voodoo lager, get out your cast iron skillet and," Laissez le Bon Temps Rouler!"

Bayou Seasoning

1/4c Hungarian Paprika
1/4c Cayenne Pepper
1/4c Ground Black Pepper
1/4c Basil leaf
1/2c Oregano
2tsp salt
1/4cWhite Pepper
1 tsp Thyme

In a large bowl, combine all the spices-makes 3 cups-store in sealed container, but keep it handy-once you make this, you'll be putting it in everything

CAJUN ROUX
3/4c Peanut Oil
1c Flour
1/2c yellow onion-chopped
1/2c celery-chopped coarse
1/4c Green Pepper chopped coarse
1/4tsp Bayou Seasoning

In a cast iron skillet heat the oil over high flame until it starts to lightly smoke. Gradually, add the flour while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pan
Continue cooking for 6-10 minutes, stirring constantly. .until the roux has reached a nice dark brown color.
DO NOT BURN-if black specks appear, you have burned it and throw it out. It will be tooo bitter
Remove pan from flame and add the celerty, onions, pepper, and Bayou Seasoning. Whisk for 2 minutes to insure it doesnt burn
Set aside to cook, stirring every few minutes for half an hour
Put in container and cover-this will keep for a few weeks.

ok, now you're ready to make,

LOVESICK GUMBO
1/2lb unsalted butter
1c Yellow Onion chopped coarse
1c celery chopped coarse
1c Green Pepper chopped
6 c shrimp stock
1tsp crushed rosemary
1/4c Bayou Seasoning
3 tbs File Powder (this is sassafras)
1lb jumbo shrimp chopped
1lb crawfish tails chunked
1/4 lb snow crabmeat chunked
1 catfish fillet-cubed
2c niblet corn-fresh or frozen

First, make a roux. (see above)
Melt butter in large pot. Add celery onions,pepper and cook for five minutes over a high heat. When the onions turn translucent, add one cup of the shrimp stock and turn the heat to medium. Cook down for another five minutes.
Add the rosemary and bayou seasoning and cook for two minutes/scraping the bottom of the pot well.
Add the file powder and cook for another minute, while scraping the pot.
The file powder will cause the mixture to take on a rather thick stringy texture, but don't worry-have another beer.
Add one cup of the shrimp stock and stir.
Add the catfish,shrimp, crawfish,crab along with the rest of the stock and the niblet corn.
Turn heat to high.
when liquid comes to a rolling boil, spoon in the roux, while stirring and scraping the bottom of the pot.
lower the heat and simmer for three hours, stirring occaisionally.

Serve in bowl over mounds of rice,
Finishing touch is a dash of dry sherry in each bowl.
Serve with a nice hunk of thick bread on the side-you'll need it.
Bon Appatit!

Here's one of my own concoctions-real easy
take any pasta-add vegies to make a prima vera,carrots,yellow squash, shrimp,etc
Mix Bayou seasoning and butter,n garlic in and sprinkle with parmasan-eat.
you can use a bag of frozen vegies too-Rancho Fiesta is great with this

taai gihk yahn
12-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Chicken Paprikas (Hungarian) over Noodles

sauce / chicken
~2-3 lbs. chicken (preferrably thigh, w/skin still attached)
salt
pepper
Hungarian paprika (sweet and hot)
~2 cups chopped onion
2 - 3 cloves garlic
1 -2 pieces bacon (mmmm, baconnn...)
~2 tbsp. butter
~11/2 - 2 cups chopped tomato (or if not available, 1/4 to 1/2 cup of puree, or crushed, or whatever you got)
one 32 oz. box of chicken stock
flour
sour cream (~1-2 cups, but can add more if you want, to taste)
egg noodles

prep chicken: rinse / pat dry; lay out pieces and coat each side w/salt, then pepper, then hot paprika then sweet paprika (do the hot one first because you don't want more than just a little, and it allows you to keep track of how much you put on, much harder if you've already put on the sweet); make sure to do both sides

chop onions & garlic; chop bacon;

in a large stock pot, melt butter; saute bacon for 1-2 min. until it starts smellin' like, well, bacon (mmmm...)

add in onion and garlic; add salt, pepper and paprika right away - as much as you like of each (the amount of paprika should be enough so that when you mix it all up, the color is halfway between the white of the onions and the red of the paprika - pinkish / organgey)

cook ~4-5 min. over med. flame

add chicken - arrange evenly at bottom of pot, on top of onion mix; saute a few minutes until cooked on one side, then turn over; repeat

add in tomato - don't use too much - there should be a hint of tomato smell (if it smells like marinara, that's too much - and too late...) - it's better to underdo it the first time, add more if you like on subsequent trials); cook a few minutes, stirring occasionally

add enough chicken stock to cover the chicken pieces completely (can use entire box if you want); add more paprika at this time (as much as you want, I'd advise keeping to the sweet stuff, unless you are into really hot sauces...)

boil; simmer ~25 min., stirring occasionally;

remove from heat; let cool ~5 -10 min.;

mix flour into water, about 1/4 flour to ~ 1 - 1 1/2 cups water, until smooth / even (should be like paper-mache mix consistency); add into pot, mix thoroughly

add sour cream - as much as you like, this will be to taste - too much will mute the paprika taste, not enough and the sauce will be a bit "oiley"; add in about 1/4 to 1/2 cup at a time, mix thoroughly and taste; also now adding more salt may be necessary as well

Noodles: the bet noodles are spätzel - German / Austrian style egg noodles - if you a real masocist, you can make them from scratch like my grandma used to; or you can buy them in the store, but not all brands are created equal - our personal favorite is Hofbauer brand - which can run ~$6 / bag, but is totally worth it and gives you enough for ~2 meals for 3-4; prepare according to package directions;

wine: Egri Bikaver (Hungarian full-bodied red; trans - "Bull's Blood" - about says it all) is the wine of choice, but may be hard to find; a chewy chianti should be an ample substitute...

this should be enough to stuff your face along with 3 - 5 of your closest friends...

BTW, this is one of those dishes that almost always tastes better the next day: I usually let it sit out overnight, then refrigerate it;

and, like any other dish, it will take time to perfect (I've been at it for a few years, after having been raised on it as well); you may want to do a few trial runs w/ 1/2 the amount of ingredients; also, you may want to actually go to a Hungarian restaurant and try the dish yourself to get a sense of it - although, to be fair, I can think of at least 4 different really great versions of this dish, but varying considerably in taste, thickness, emphasis on flavor, etc.; so don't get too hung up on that as long as you like what you've done with yours...

ENJOY!

SimonM
12-23-2008, 03:52 PM
shameless bump

bawang
12-23-2008, 04:24 PM
real warrior eats raw meat and rice wine for breakfast lunch dinner

YOURE ALL A BUNCH OF WOMENS

TenTigers
12-23-2008, 04:47 PM
YOURE ALL A BUNCH OF WOMENS

(I eat them too)

Oso
12-23-2008, 07:01 PM
good thread...should be merged with the Official Food and Beer Thread...:cool:

David Jamieson
12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
1 part woman

2 parts lemon gin

serve on a bed of 400 thread count Egyptian cotton.

tasty!

Oso
12-23-2008, 07:03 PM
wine: Egri Bikaver (Hungarian full-bodied red; trans - "Bull's Blood" - about says it all) is the wine of choice, but may be hard to find; a chewy chianti should be an ample substitute...

that is some good shiat...used to buy it for 6.95 a bottle and drink it with gorgonzola and Ritz crackers while playing Magic...

taai gihk yahn
12-23-2008, 07:49 PM
that is some good shiat...used to buy it for 6.95 a bottle and drink it with gorgonzola and Ritz crackers while playing Magic...

shiat is right - it's basically the swill that the locals drink! my god-father (Hungarian; also a Vienna-trained chef), thinks it's the worst wine in the world, LOL, he wouldn't drink it if you paid him...
but personally, I really like it, it's the b3st3st wine to go with any sort of heavy stew-like dish; anyway, glad to see it's not unheard of in other parts; and yeah, gorg. would be just the level of cheese you would need to balance it out, for certain (speaking of smelly cheeses: try Stinking Bishop - great way to clear the room...)

taai gihk yahn
12-23-2008, 07:50 PM
good thread...should be merged with the Official Food and Beer Thread...:cool:

and it should also be stickied, IMHO...

Oso
12-23-2008, 08:27 PM
shiat is right - it's basically the swill that the locals drink! my god-father (Hungarian; also a Vienna-trained chef), thinks it's the worst wine in the world, LOL, he wouldn't drink it if you paid him...
but personally, I really like it, it's the b3st3st wine to go with any sort of heavy stew-like dish; anyway, glad to see it's not unheard of in other parts; and yeah, gorg. would be just the level of cheese you would need to balance it out, for certain (speaking of smelly cheeses: try Stinking Bishop - great way to clear the room...)

man, i thought it was really good...strong tasting but not at all sour or vinegery...and yea, it took a strong cheese to complement it. I can't find it in AVL but the little wineshop I worked at in Blowing Rock had it. :confused: I'd buy it all the time as my 'house' wine if I could. Currently, my 'house' is Concha y Tora. Pretty good for a 'quaffing' wine.

worst wine in the world would HAVE to fall the Thunderbird.

my dad used to work with a guy that would drink a 5th of T-bird after work every day and chase it with coke...I worked with them one day and apparently the boss was out of town and I watched him drink 2 bottles of that stuff in a very short period of time...'course, he was like 300 lbs....

I bought a bottle of 'Murphy's Law Red Wine' this past weekend and just finished it tonight w/ my past and veggies. It's a blend designed as a 'table' wine. Pretty tasty. Hearty and meant to be 'drunk' but a cut above at less than $10 a bottle.

www.localwinecompany.com

Oso
12-23-2008, 08:33 PM
1 part woman

2 parts lemon gin

serve on a bed of 400 thread count Egyptian cotton.

tasty!

i am humbled...

SimonM
12-24-2008, 07:26 AM
Visiting my favorite Aunt on the day after boxing day and picked up a bottle of "organic" (containing no non-carbon-based ingredients?!?) cotes-du-rhone that got good reviews.

I normally just stick to Cabarnet Sauvignon but I've heard that cotes-du-rhone is good wine too.

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 08:27 AM
Visiting my favorite Aunt on the day after boxing day and picked up a bottle of "organic" (containing no non-carbon-based ingredients?!?) cotes-du-rhone that got good reviews.

I normally just stick to Cabarnet Sauvignon but I've heard that cotes-du-rhone is good wine too.

Cotes du Rhone is what is known as a "regional" type of wine, while Cabarnet Sauvignon is what is known as a "varietal" type of wine.

Cab Sav is a grape variety and cote du rhone is a grwoing region taht may or may not use a cab sav grape in their wines.

quick little wine lesson for ya ! :)

cheers!

SimonM
12-24-2008, 08:30 AM
I was actually aware of that distinction. However as I had never heard of the two varieties of grape that produced this wine I thought that not mentioning them (especially since I have now forgot what they were) and referring to the wine as cotes-du-rhone would suffice. ;)

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 08:34 AM
who can say what's in there for sure. lol

some 20 + different varieties of grape in france alone!

SimonM
12-24-2008, 08:40 AM
Probably had Grenache in it...

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 08:44 AM
as long as there's no glycol in it, it's all good. lol

SimonM
12-24-2008, 09:07 AM
rotflmfao

Wouldn't that endanger their organic designation?

David Jamieson
12-24-2008, 10:49 AM
rotflmfao

Wouldn't that endanger their organic designation?

The French, if nothing else, are super strict about their wine and what can and cannot go in it. they have way elaborate laws around wine alone.

I love France. i love their wine, their language, their way of life. Much more civilized in many ways than many other western countries.

mmm provence!

Vive la France!

;)

Oso
12-24-2008, 04:25 PM
CDR is one of my favorite wines...Preston Vineyards (CA i think) did a 'Faux' a while back that was modeled after the CDR style ...which I don't particularly know exactly what that style is...it just tastes good.

so when is this going to be mergedf????