PDA

View Full Version : Lua (Hawaiian martial art)

Former castleva
06-29-2002, 02:40 PM
Just popped into my mind while I was reading another post of this forum.
I wonder if anyone knows something about it?
This is all I do:
Itīs Hawaiian
It used to be illegal to practice it (this could have been in Hawaii sometimes)
Jujitsu has had an influence on it
Main technical form of art is "joint dislocation" (donīt know of any others arts with an emphasis this heavy on this one part of chin-na)

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 03:29 PM
http://www.olohe.com/

Royal Dragon
06-29-2002, 03:42 PM
Asian termonology sneaks into an indigeonus Hawiian art? Specifically Yin Yang and Forms/katas?

Merryprankster
06-29-2002, 03:45 PM
Large population of Asian immigrants.

SevenStar
06-29-2002, 08:26 PM
Bingo. That's the same reason spanish names are in kali, which is Fillipino.

once ronin
06-30-2002, 02:01 AM
when kamehameha the great united the islands to 1 kingdom there are records of 13 china mens as his advisors.

at that time there was still no coconut trees in hawaii. coconut trees were one of the many plants brought to hawaii by the chinese.

Former castleva
06-30-2002, 02:34 AM
Thanks everyone.

NorthernMantis
06-30-2002, 06:18 AM
Isn't kamehameha a dbz move?:D

Merryprankster
06-30-2002, 06:53 AM
ronin,

That seems very odd to me. First, the polynesians brought useful plants with them. Since the various islands in the south pacific do have coconuts, that doesn't seem right.

Also, the coconut is a "sea going" seed. It travels from place to place via ocean currents without a problem.

Stacey
06-30-2002, 09:32 AM
also, they had their own dualistic philosophy (as most people did independent of china) The bottom being yang and the top yin. These peoples had a long history of warfare, and considering the style of warfare, bonebreaking makes sense. I'm sure it was greatly added to with JJ. I think that the original hawaiian art was like the original japanese art, not a groundfighting system, but a dislocation system, with a ground component.

its also related to hula, which was training. Kinda like tai chi. Its all in the hips.

Merryprankster
06-30-2002, 09:34 AM
NorthernMantis--Yes, but it's pronounced with different accents on the syllables...as I discovered, much to the amusement of the telephone operator.

NorthernMantis
06-30-2002, 10:01 AM
Cool beans!

Black Jack
06-30-2002, 03:28 PM
Grandmaster Olohe Solomon Kaihewalu is a real nice gentelman, I had a few conversations with him about his system in the past, and the guy was just very warm and generous with his time.

There is a BIG misnomer going around on this page though.

Japanese Ju Jitsu DID NOT influence the Native American fighting art of Lau. Lau DID influence the Japanese ju jitsu system of what is now known as Danzan-Ryu ju jitsu and even Wally Jay's Small Circle ju jitsu.

Proffessor Seishiro Okazaki the founder of what today is known as Danzan-Ryu ju jitsu, the chinese characters for Danzan denote Hawaii, some even call it the Hawaiian system of ju jitsu because of its birthplace, was a man way ahead of his time.

During his youth in Japan, Okazaki in an effort to cure his childhood sickness studied from the Yoshin, Iwaga, and Kosogabe ryu's of Ju Jitsu, after that he cross trained them with a Ryukyu karate system before moving to Hawaii.

It was there in 1917 in the district of Puna on the island of Hawaii that Proffessor Okazaki studied the secret bone-breaking art of Lau from David Kainhee, who was a native Hawaiian. In the Hawaiian islands Okazaki also studied western boxing and wrestling, phillipine knife techniques and spanish dirk throwing from a spaniard.

This is FACT, given credit where credit is do by the organization itself, just wanted to point this out as the native american fighting art of lua contributed a lot to these two asian systems.

Instead of guessing give credit where credit is do.

Stacey
06-30-2002, 05:44 PM
fact? Wheres the proof. I think its just jujitsu by any other name.

BTW Blackjack, you come accross as a real anus.

once ronin
06-30-2002, 08:38 PM
instead of trashing on the forum. these people were there and witness to the times of henry okazaki.

wally jay is a student of henry okazaki.

he can shed alot of light on okazaki.

willy hu who now livies in michigan can alos shed some light on henry okazaki.

Black Jack
07-01-2002, 09:22 AM
Stacy with a *****:rolleyes:

You are such a walking dipsheeeet.

What you don't know could fell a freakin library. Go check out the www.danzanryu.com website itself for the information itself by the organization.

Since you have never even seen Lau I consider this pretty moot anyway. All I am saying is that you asianophiles should do some research before talking out your arse.

Stacey
07-01-2002, 01:12 PM
interesting, you dismiss any amazing abilities reported by Chinese Masters and demand documented proof from ourside sources, but when its someone you think you know, they are suddenly good as gold.

Your the one always demanding documentation.

Black Jack
07-01-2002, 01:23 PM
:rolleyes:

Lets go through this junk shall we?

1. When did I say Lau has mystical powers? The comparison between chinese mythos and this post is far-fetched and has NOTHING to do with the other.

2. When did I say I knew anybody, spoken to a few times is not the same as knowing, don't put words in my mouth.

3. When did I say anybody is suddenly as good as gold or that Lau was as good as gold. I almost know nothing about Lau.

What I did was as follows.

1. Gave REAL info to the conversation, documented info by the danzan organization, info that shows what you were talking about had no basis in fact, only guesswork that is offensive because it it so typical in its arrogance.

The proof is in the facts that it is the other way around than what you guessed at. You did not even know what ju jitsu ryu-ha was connected with Lau.

2. Showed that you have never even seen Lau yet you said it looks like ju jitsu. You have yet to state where you have witnessed Lau, who you met, or what you saw.

I gave documented proof a shade better than what you were talking about.

Stacey
07-01-2002, 01:32 PM
it was in the IFC, or whatever that canadian one is. Its like JJ only more muscular.

In all seriousness, your right, and I owe you a hand job.

I know that its not JJ, but since it was a battlefield art, it probably was more akin to old jj which is more standing.

Black Jack
07-01-2002, 01:44 PM
I'll pass on your offer.

Lau from what I have heard is a very complete system. Whatever a complete systems means to anybody is anybodies guess.

It's just rare.