PDA

View Full Version : Any Good CMA in Washington or Idaho?

Ace
06-30-2002, 10:08 PM
I'm strongly considering relocating to Spokane, Wa or the northwestern area of Idaho early next.

Anybody know of any good, traditional CMA being taught in these areas? Any assistance would be appreciated.

BrentCarey
07-01-2002, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Ace
I'm strongly considering relocating to Spokane, Wa or the northwestern area of Idaho early next.

Anybody know of any good, traditional CMA being taught in these areas? Any assistance would be appreciated.

Ace,

I am a Spokane native and have been on the kung fu scene here for about 12-13 years, and the general MA scene for quite a bit longer. I have been teaching professionally off and on for the past 10+ years and am in the early stages of getting some permanent Long Fist classes off the ground.

I wouldn't call myself a traditional CMA instructor. I would say that I teach traditional CMA in a progressive manner. I pretty much do away with much of the "fluff" and ceremony surrounding traditional training in an attempt to demystify the training.

Some people don't want this. I understand that. For many people, all of the Chinese language, protocol, etc. are an important part of the experience.

In any case, I can tell you about just about every school/teacher in town. Either I know directly about them or I have a close friend that does.

How about you? What prior experience do you have? What are you looking for? What are your goals/reasons for training?

I would be glad to talk to you and answer any questions you may have - martial arts related or not. I'll try to help you find what you're looking for. Incidentally, you can check up on me at www.spokanekungfu.com (pretty easy to remember).

Peace,

Brent Carey

Ace
07-01-2002, 01:29 PM
Hi Brent,

Thanks for your reply. Glad to see you are getting a school up & running. I have not fully gone through your website yet, but I will definitely be doing so.

Thus far my primary experience has been in a combination Yang/Chen style of Taijiquan which I have been training in for about 2 1/2 years. i've had some previous Tae Kwon Do experience with a little bit of 5 Animals Kung Fu in the past.

I am looking for a traditional school, but let me explain what I mean by traditional. In short, I'm looking for a CMA school that has health & fitness enhancing training and can also teach realistic combat within the scope of the particular CMA. In other words, a complete system where you don't necessarily have to go out & pump iron & jog for miles for conditioning & where you don't have to borrow from western boxing, muay thai etc for combat effectiveness.

Some form of internal training along the lines of breathing disciplines, chi kung et al would also be great.

I'm less interested in the "trappings" (ceremony, use of chinese language etc) than I am in accomplishing the abilities both health & combative, that CMA is supposed to be noted for.

I'd really appreciate starting a dialogue with you & asking you some specific questions about your school, other schools & the Spokane area in general as I have no friends there. If you are open, please drop me a line at Taorod@yahoo.com & I'll respond from there.

Thanks again.

Ace