PDA

View Full Version : Position of Top 2 Dummy Arms ?

Nat from UK
07-01-2002, 12:39 AM
I have noticed when looking at dummy's recently (i am just in the process of sourcing one) that the holes for the top two arms are always in the same place and at the same angle. However in some dummies the arms have been machined offset so that when they are located in the holes the top two arms are (almost) parrallel in height.

Whilst other dummies I have looked at the arms are centred to each hole, so that when the arms are located the top two arms are not parrallel in height.

I was under the impression that one of the main purposes of the dummy was to correct and reinforce the accurate hand postioning whilst executing techniques. The two different types of upper arm positioning would in my (not that experienced) opinion train different arm/hand positioning ???

What are your thoughts - I have spoken first hand to two different people who have all played first hand on Ip Mans actual dummy (currently located in Ip Chings house i beleive) and they have told me that the arms were almost parrallel at the top.

Thoughts ?? Comments ??

Any body of the forum no why this difference occurs ??

Is it just personal preference ??

Thanks in advance

Nat from UK

Axiom
07-01-2002, 03:49 AM
I wouldn't have thought there was a precisely 'correct' position, since people are different shapes and sizes. Perhaps symmetry is good though.

Ish
07-01-2002, 04:15 AM
i think the only reason the arms aren't parrallel in some dummies is cos its a lot harder to do. i don't know of any benefits.

yuanfen
07-01-2002, 05:40 AM
Someone asked:What are your thoughts - I have spoken first hand to two different people who have all played first hand on Ip Mans actual dummy (currently located in Ip Chings house i beleive) and they have told me that the arms were almost parrallel at the top.
----------------------------------------------------------
Even the holes are not on the same plane- in the end result-
the tip of the arms should be just about on the same plane.

sunkuen
07-01-2002, 06:06 AM
"I was under the impression that one of the main purposes of the dummy was to correct and reinforce the accurate hand postioning whilst executing techniques. The two different types of upper arm positioning would in my (not that experienced) opinion train different arm/hand positioning ???"

This is one of the silliest little wing chun "myth's" i've heard!!! Relax Nat...It ain't gonna make even a little difference that the arms were not exactly the same height. If you got your ass kicked could you chalk it up to the fact that one of the dummy arms was three quarters of an inch higher than the other?

old jong
07-01-2002, 08:32 AM
I agree Sunkuen. It will make no difference at all. The world is not perfect,opponents will not be,the dummy represent just that!...And,I almost forgot! Even I or you won't be! ;)

sunkuen
07-01-2002, 09:17 AM
speak fer yerself eh!!!:p

IronFist
07-01-2002, 09:27 AM
Here's your answer :) (http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=14074)

I doubt it matters if they're off by a little bit. On mine the left arm is about 1/2" higher than the right. However, on some it's just rediculous where the bottom of the left arm is higher than the highest point on the right arm... in other words there's like 2 or 3 inches difference. (http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_61692489e8a6cfa7913619dfa94aa4f9/i-1.JPG) This is probably a bad thing.

IronFist

reneritchie
07-01-2002, 09:28 AM
FWIW - In the Sum Nung lineage, at least how I learned it, the top dummy arms are level at the ends (neither higher nor lower than the other).

Rgds,

RR

old jong
07-01-2002, 09:36 AM
:p :p :p :p :p ;)

Sihing73
07-01-2002, 06:44 PM
Hello,

Some lineages prefer to have the dummy arms with the left one slightly higher than the other. The only advantage to this is that it opens up the space a bit and allows slightly more room for doing techniques. In other words you are not as "cramped" as when the two arms are level.

The dummy holes are ofset with one being slightly higher than the other. I believe that one of the reasons for this is simple physical limitations. If you tried to make the holes even and drill through the body at a slight angle I am sure it would cause problems with the holes intersecting at some point. Most dummy arms, which I have seen, will allow for them to be positioned with the left slightly higher or with both more or less even. It has nothing to do with them being specially machined. If you look at how they are cut the slot, for lack of a better term, will be more narrow at one end then the other. Thus if you place the arm at the narrow point it will be different than at the wide point. Not sure if you can picture what I am saying but take a look at the dummy arms and it should be clear.

I have done the dummy with the arms in both positions. I happen to like mine being more level or even. It does force me to pay greater attention and work in a more narrow space. The only think I persaonly do not like about the offest arms is that you could, concieveably, train an imbalance with one arm always higher than the other. Of course, you would be able to correct this but it is something else to consider.

Just some thoughts.

Peace,

Dave

old jong
07-01-2002, 07:04 PM
Hello Dave! Feeling good? Nice to hear from you.:)
Think about this,we might have to fight a guy with an arm lower than the other! The training would pay off. ;) :D

yuanfen
07-01-2002, 07:38 PM
Old Jong sez:Think about this,we might have to fight a guy with an arm lower than the other!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
You know that guy too?
Does he make stock market forecasts---on the one hand---then on the other?
Dummy.