PDA

View Full Version : I got a Muay Thai vs Sanda tape

DragonzRage
07-01-2002, 12:54 PM
This weekend i got a tape of the Muay Thai vs Sanda challenge that happened in Bangkok. The event featured china's best King fo Sanda fighters against top Muay Thai fighters. The Thais won the event but it was a good showing for both sides. That crane69 guy who posts a bunch of stuff regarding kung fu/san shou and muay thai described the event on his website, but after having seen it i feel that his report was largely inaccurate. If anyone's interested in how China's fighters seemed to stack up against the thais, I'll post my impressions.

Mutant
07-01-2002, 01:35 PM
I watched a bunch of san da -vs- muay tai fights this wkend too. I didnt see the same fights from bangkok that you saw, these fights took place in china and were taped off of chinese network t.v. , it was the Chinese San da 'Police Team' versus various muay tai champions from different countries representing Tailand (not sure why or how it was organised, it was all in chinese).

The victories seems pretty evenly split. San da won a handful and mauy tai won a handful, the san da team won the event. The Police Team didnt seem as good as the king of san da guys. But some of the muay tai guys didnt look top notch either. Some of them were very good and others looked a bit sloppy (compared to king of san da fights). It was explained to me that they are all pro fighters, but a step down from the top tier king of san da level fighters.

I did see that the san da/san shou leg kick is actually different than the muay tai kick. they both seemed effective and able to score and do damage with the leg kicks, but the muay tai guys are more down and forward and commited in close with the kick while the san da guys did the chinese method. i had thought they were the same but never paid close enough attention to how the tai version is, until i saw them together.

Also saw last years King Of Sanda fights, those guys were amazing way better than the police team guys. the 75 kg guy beat all the other weight classes, the guy was bad azz

DragonzRage
07-02-2002, 12:09 PM
I've heard of the event you saw. I believe that it was the very first san shou vs muay thai challenge. But anywayz, with regards to the Bangkok challenge, I think that both sides brought out the best people they could offer.

The first fight was pretty good, and it featured two pretty evenly matched competitors. The sanda guy started out strong in the first round, repeatedly throwing and sweeping his opponent all over the place. The thai looked frustrated. But later in the fight he started to wise up to the sanda guy's tactics and began catching him in the clinch and kneeing the bejesus out of him. I think towards the end of the third round the sanda guy looked desperate as he took a barrage of knees. I thought the fight was over at that point. But then in the 4th and 5th rounds he came back strong and traded with the thai more effectively. He landed some shots of his own and managed to throw the thai down a couple more times too. The judges gave the thai the decision, but i think being the hometown fighter may have had something to do with it. I would've given the fight to the sanda guy for all the throws he pulled off.

In the second fight the sanda guy came at the thai throwing flurries and sidekicks quickly and aggressively. The thai defended and absorbed the attacks without too much trouble tho. The sanda guy managed to catch the thai's kick and sweep him twice. Then the thai started pressing the attack and put his opponent under heavy pressure right away. At one point he kicked his legs out from under him. It was obvious that the sanda guy wouldn't be able to handle the thai in a striking war. In the second round the thai landed a solid elbow on his opponent's face, sending him retreating into a corner where he let out a flurry of combinations that put the sanda guy down. The sanda guy was in too much pain to be able to get up, so the Thai got the victory by KO.

Noted Sanda fighter Geriletu fought in the third fight. He stood toe to toe with his opponent and got some shots in with some quick and tricky kicks. But the thai was the superior striker and had him outclassed in both timing and power. At one point he knocked Geriletu down hard with a solid right cross. Geriletu was unsuccessful in trying to throw the thai through the entire fight. The thai nullified most of his attempts. And even when he did manage to throw the thai, the thai pulled him down with him and managed to wind up on top. Geriletu did manage to pull off one beautiful sweep off of catching a high kick. The thai returned the favor by knocking him down again with a low kick to his base leg. The thai clearly had the advantage but he wasn't able to dish out enough to put Geriletu away. But he took it easy in the last round, smartly scoring points with his kicks and counterpunching. The thai got a well deserved decision victory and gave Geriletu much respect for a putting up a good fight.

In the 4th fight the Chinese fighter seemed to have a Muay Thai background, as he fought using a lot of muay thai technique. But he also threw some hard sidekicks and had some nice kick catches and sweeps. They traded with each other pretty evenly throughout the match, but the sanda guy was easily the stronger of the two. The thai was never able to mount any decisive attacks on him. This time the sanda guy was actually the better striker, it seemed. One funny thing happened in the first round tho. The thai was against the ropes and the sanda guy threw a high kick with killer intent. The thai ducked under it and the sanda guy went over the ropes and fell out of the ring landing on his head. I was laughing my a$$ off. This was by far the least exciting fight of the night, but it was an easy decision for the sanda guy.

The last fight was between Sanda King Yuan Yubao and a thai champion. Reports say that Yuan was knocked out but this fight was not on the my tape (which I was very disappointed about) so I can't comment on this fight.

Mutant
07-02-2002, 01:02 PM
If the champion tai boxer knocked out the Sanda King Yuan Yubao, then he must incredible fighter! Its awesome to watch people that are that good at their art.
I think the fights i saw were from last year, 2001.

Cipher
07-02-2002, 02:29 PM
Cool!!!!!!! Were can I buy the Chinese King of Sanda tapes? I would like to see the whole list when they fought Japan, Korea, America and Thailand. Or any other good San shou tapes.

DragonzRage
07-02-2002, 03:09 PM
Well I was able to find the King of Sanda Championship final tournament on VCD when I was shopping in Chinatown. However, I thought the Muay Thai vs Sanda challenge was much more exciting. I found the MT vs Sanda tape on ebay. You could probably find the King of Sanda tapes on ebay as well. I think that would be your best bet. This type of stuff is hard to find Stateside.

lkfmdc
07-07-2002, 02:56 PM
Funny, I just found the tape in Chinatown today as well. And on my tape, last fight cuts off halfway through first round???? So I only saw 4. KO was clean, but I woud argue that 3rd fight was hometown decision, a lot of kicks hitting gloves or getting caught... crane69's account is totally bogus