PDA

View Full Version : Training while blindfolded

Ryu
07-01-2002, 10:54 PM
Today I did a lot of newaza sparring while blindfolded, and just wondered if others do this sort of thing from time to time as well. I know WC people do blindfolded chisau, etc.
Grappling without being able to see really heightens your sensitivity on the ground, and your ability to feel your opponent's energy, etc.
Very "eye opening" experience even though my eyes remained closed the entire time ;)

Ryu

Okami
07-01-2002, 11:37 PM
We use blindfolded grappling all the time.

It is an excellent way to learn to "feel" where your opponent is and where to move to get loose.

Nothing like a black hood over your face to get that old adrenaline flowing.

"Use the force Luke. Reach out with your feelings."
I couldn't resist the Star Wars reference.

Shaolin
07-02-2002, 12:01 AM
Whether you realize it or not that's the purpose of chisau, it's a sesitivity drill used to feel your the opponants energy and movement, doesn't matter if eyes are open or closed. I've benn reading your posts over the last year Ryu and your motivation behind your martial arts seems to be genuine. All the little discoveries you seem to make in studying all the different arts you try is funny from my end, What it sounds like your looking for (and I could be wrong, have been before) is a complete chinese martial art. In no way am I telling you go to the shaolin theory, my goal is not recrutement; when I say complete look for a theory that involves standing and ground defense, internal and external, close, long, and middle range, dim mak and chin na for starters. If you require assistance I'd be glad to help, and if asked nicely others on the messege board might help as well. :D

Gabriel
07-02-2002, 01:27 AM
Good sensitivity training. We do something similar, with no blindfold, just our eyes closed.

KnightSabre
07-02-2002, 02:58 AM
Oten when I grapple I close my eyes for the entire duration and try to use my other senses,
I have found that my sensitivity during my grappling has greatly improved.

Shaolin,

What chinese style would you reccoment to be more complete than a Muay Thai,Boxing and BJJ combination?

Souljah
07-02-2002, 05:11 AM
Bindfold eclectic is what me and my friend practise regularly, similar to WC's chisau but with a higher level of movement (floor and arm) and more techniques.

old jong
07-02-2002, 06:48 AM
I try to practice with eyes closed but ,as you all know,this makes the other senses more "sensitives" and suddenly ,I can't stand the smell of my partners!...:eek:So,I quickly open my eyes! ;) :D Just kidding!:p

Sestum
07-02-2002, 06:52 AM
We use to do this all the time in judo. Ive had some of my best throws with a blind fold on, figures dont get to see the good ones :) Seriously though, it really helps to understand the ways the throw should feel cause you cant see anything.

Chang Style Novice
07-02-2002, 09:14 AM
Nobody ever said to do it, but during push hands I often close my eyes on the theory that it'll help my sensitivity. Glad to see I'm not alone in my supposition.

TenTigers
07-02-2002, 09:30 AM
we do this in class, and also during an intermediate rank test. All self-defense tecjniques are performed blindfolded. The attacker has to wear as much gear as possible. Everyone has passed with flying colors, and it is a real confidence booster.
Another thing I do is when having difficulty getting down a movement, I practice it with eyes shut, so my body can feel the movement rather than relying on my eyes. It kind of ingrains it in my neurotransmitters-or som'pin lkke that. I also used to do this when practicing for a tournament.

No_Know
07-02-2002, 11:48 AM
I prefer to spar without looking with my eyes--blindfolded~. Just for grappling isn't a challenge. Grappling by nature tells you where you are on the other person. Movements through certain distances in Time~ are mapable by the mind. Drawing pictures of the relative positions of both of you...all of you (whoever is involved). If I can attack defend strikes blindfolded~ it would enhance my open eye play, theoretically. Some might say, perhaps.

norther practitioner
07-02-2002, 11:58 AM
We usually just shoot at each other while blindfolded, it gets pretty interesting at times. I like using shotguns the best, birdshot gives you a good spread. Sorry, we don't do too much except for a few pushhands drills with one and both arms.

Cipher
07-02-2002, 12:19 PM
We do that too. I like closing my eyes when doing all of the Wing Chun drills and boxing drills. We also do it when we spar sometimes.

fa_jing
07-02-2002, 12:31 PM
I know that if I close my eyes, I can't keep my balance practicing on one leg....strange.

BrentCarey
07-02-2002, 03:39 PM
I frequently run blind blocking drills with my students. The human eye can only see something like 18 changes per second. Blind training is an important part of increasing a practitioner's ability to react quickly and appropriately.

The loss of balance most people experience goes away with a bit of practice. Several years ago I trained to be a ski guide for the blind. One of the requirements in the training was to put on ski goggles covered with duct tape and be guided by another guide.

It's an odd sensation. As soon as the skis start to slide, you feel like you are going really fast and tend to fall over for no apparent reason. Some people are fine, but most people experience this disorientation.

Like I mentioned, it goes away with a little practice.

Peace,

Brent Carey

Kay k
07-05-2002, 04:36 AM
i like being blindfolded...;) i think it increases your sensitivity and overall awareness! :)

HongKongPhooey
07-05-2002, 04:40 AM
Nudge nudge, wink wink.

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 05:09 AM
Again with the Marital Arts it's martial, M A R T I A L.

Mr Punch
07-05-2002, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by BrentCarey
The human eye can only see something like 18 changes per second.

... of what? :confused:

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 08:17 AM
Think of it as frames per second, animals have varying degrees of this, if a fly watched a film it would seem very flickery and giant tortoises only update their vision every 30 seconds or something ridiculous.

jpcm

greendragon
07-05-2002, 04:01 PM
In shaolin we used to get blindfolded and spar with the teacher who was not blindfolded. after getting hit again and again your body's survival instincts sharpened and ****ed if you couldn't fight back just fine.