PDA

View Full Version : Ryu, Counter Please

shaolinboxer
07-02-2002, 07:38 AM
http://www.judoinfo.com/quiz0297_2.htm

Ude Garami

This has been done to me, and it sucks. Works REALLY well on people who have no idea what it is. I've also been able to apply it.

Ryu, is there a common counter technique?

Merryprankster
07-02-2002, 11:39 AM
Standing or on the ground?

That's an important distinction....

shaolinboxer
07-02-2002, 12:48 PM
Well, both :).

Ryu
07-02-2002, 01:15 PM
Well like anything else, if you actually have the technique locked in, and the leverage is there, chances are you're not going to escape.
I can tell you some of things I've done to prevent and counter it, but experience is the major key here I think.

You have to keep an awareness, and counter the move BEFORE it is properly applied.
From the ground.
If you are mounted, and the opponent begins to apply ude to your arm, you can bump up, sending his weight forward, and bridge out of the move bringing you into his guard. The only thing is that your arm will still be in danger if you're not careful, so gripping hold of the opponents gi, etc. with the trapped arm can retard his ability to crank your arm.
This counter can be dangerous as you are bridging with that trapped arm (can injure yourself possibly) However I've done it, and have seen it done numerous times.

Gripping tight to your own gi or his gi with the trapped arm can be an effective counter IF you've got the strength to wait him out. The main thing is that you do not want your elbow raised up, so keeping it tight to you will possibly buy you some time.

I don't know if there is a common counter to it. Merry might know more details and escapes then me, so he's a good person to ask too. These are what worked for me in randori sessions.

Ryu

Merryprankster
07-02-2002, 01:18 PM
I'm a bit swamped right now, but I will try to get into this tomorrow.

shaolinboxer
07-02-2002, 01:18 PM
I see. Very interesting, thanks guys.

Knifefighter
07-02-2002, 03:11 PM
To the top figure 4 Americana arm lock there are lots of counters. Here are a few.

It is actually very easy to escape the standing position- Just turn and face him and he loses most of his leverage on the lock. If he continues to try to get the lock, you've got his back

From the side mount- bring the opposite arm through, roll to the side of the arm lock and come to your knees.

From the mount- push on his hip with your free hand and bump him to the side of the arm lock. Create enough space to bring your leg through and finish him with a heel hook.

The Kimura lock is harder to escape.

From standing, you can actually do a kind of forward flip to escape and can sometimes finish him with a straight arm bar.

From the side mount you have to spin your head underneath his body. You can then use your knee to pry his grip off or bring your knee into his stomach and finish with your own straight arm bar.

Many guys try the Kimura from the bottom and this one's pretty easy to counter if your legs are free- just step over his head to the other side and finish with a straight arm bar.

Brad Souders
07-02-2002, 06:52 PM
Here are some of my thoughts

Paintbrush from side mount- Bring same side knee the is getting locked to the elbow. Stops them from pulling the arm to the knee.

Mount- tuck chin into same side shoulder then turn and lay on the shoulder being attacked

Kimura side mount- grab your pants and pray

kimura from his guard- grab your pants and flatten out on the side being attacked