PDA

View Full Version : aaaaaahhhhhhhh

Eric
07-02-2001, 10:13 AM
Ok, for the last 7 months I have been trying to find legitimate information on Bak Mei, especially Eddie Chongs lineage which I have already learned on this forum comes from Chut Suk.. However that is the only thing I have managed to discover about it. Are there any sites out there or books I can find that will help me out? Any help will be great. I know there are a lot of people that post things like this looking for a quick and easy answer, instead of searching for themselves, but trust me, I have searched, and searched and searched... I can't find anything. I have found a few bak mei sites but nothing with any legitimate info or history.

thanks a ton in advance..

Eric

MarkS
07-02-2001, 10:32 AM
With all due respect wo are you to decide what is and what is not legitimate?

Most web sites on Pak Mei show the same history, all of which appears to have been copied word for word from H.B.Un's book. I assume you have read this account. Further, if you have read this, are you saying that you challenge its 'legitimacy'?

Mark S

fiercest tiger
07-02-2001, 12:17 PM
is any bak mei legit? i am talking the complete system not just 5 forms and added dragon system!!

just my thoughts! :eek:

come & visit us!
http://home.iprimus.com.au/ykm
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
07-02-2001, 12:44 PM
WHO IS YOUR SIFU?????

MarkS
07-02-2001, 05:06 PM
Fiercest Tiger: is any bak mei legit?

I dont see what you are getting at here, you kindly explained to me that your Sifu was a Pak Mei Sifu originally, with reference to your Yau Kung Mun system.
Please explain.
Thanks.

Mark S

fiercest tiger
07-03-2001, 01:43 AM
when i say this, in good spirits of course! ykm late grandmaster was yes infact a bak mei sifu! what im saying is clc was taught only 5 forms of bak mei and the rest was added to from his dragon style. legit in my way of thinking is a complete style not changed or mixed!! thats what i was getting at... ;)

ykm hand sets are made up of bak mei, the ykm internal system is only 3 hand forms all chi kung, with meditation and herbs etc. that is the real ykm, the bak mei was added to make the sylubus bigger for students to learn more! :)

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Kevin Barkman
07-03-2001, 05:30 AM
Mang Foo - This just begs the question...

If CLC Bak Mei is illegitimate kung fu because it is just "5 sets with some Dragon thrown in", and

YKM (from your post)is Bak Mei with 3 Chi Gung sets thrown in, then

What does that say about YKM?!

Didn't the founder of your system learn his BM from CLC? Did he have other Bak Mei teachers?

Cheers - kevin

BIU JI
07-03-2001, 07:22 AM
Think you've missed the point abit and seem to have taken offence to Ft's post. The 3 internal forms is a complete system in itself.FT wasn't saying anything is wrong with the sets, merely stating a fact.
Though I seriously doubt you've seen any of the internal forms to comment.The pakmei added to YKM was a smart idea by the late GM because pakmei as well has good fighting techniques.If anything the 2 styles fit perfectly together having external(pakmei) and internal(YKM)!
Of course FT has alot of respect for pakmei otherwise he wouldnt be doing it or teaching it. So what problem do you have with his post?Did you take that as an offence to pakmei? ;)

Eric
07-03-2001, 07:29 AM
tnwingtsun:

my sifu is Thomas Yang, my sigung is eddie chong.

By legit, I mean the following. At least one site I discovered (which is down now) was trying to proclaim some sifu as being the only true bak mei sifu in the states. Many sites I found were similar to that. I don't care for all of that crap. All I am looking for is a site that is more concerned with the history and discussion of technique rather than *****ing about whos lineage is better than the other. And NO marks I have not seen any history so far. Maybe I am not looking at the right sites. I don't know what the sets are or anything else. I can ask Sifu about this but, I would like to read it online as well. It is a great deal easier. Also sifu won't really go into depth about Bak Mei as I am not even through yip man or Pan Nam style yet. Like a good little student I should just leave it alone and wait to learn it, however I am interested in it and would like to learn more about it.

Kevin Barkman
07-07-2001, 11:46 PM
Hi Biu Ji. I don't believe I missed the point ;)

I'm more than happy to learn about other styles and views - however, I wish people would frame their comments more constructively - why cast dispersions on other systems (especially those older than your own)?

Cheers - kevin

fiercest tiger
07-08-2001, 02:20 AM
Lets get something straight here, yau kung mun has its origins in the tang dynasty not ching like bak mei!
Great Grandmaster Har added bak mei to YAU KUNG MUN only to make it a bigger system to teach, not necessary a better system. The internal forms are better in my opinion for fighting ans health, so dont get your nickers in a not! i teach both at my school, i like both but i prefer the internal ykm system anyday over the bak mei sylubus taught at ykm. no disrespect to bak mei practitioners or sifu's, this is my own judgement on the 2 systems.

as for older ykm is far OLDER, its only been released to the public in the early 1900's, since then its internal has been kept secret.
:eek:

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

tnwingtsun
07-08-2001, 02:20 AM
Eric,that site you spoke of is a school in NYC.

Just as you might judge a legit site or school I could go as far as saying that I don't agree with Eddie Chong's theory on Bai Mei and Wing Chun,but by saying that I not calling him not ligit,just that I do not agree with him.

hmmmmmm..........

tnwingtsun
07-08-2001, 02:22 AM
Don't make me come over there down yonder and kick your arse! :D

Kevin Barkman
07-08-2001, 03:31 AM
Hi FT. I'm sure that your style of kung fu is very beneficial in regards to fighting and health. I have nothing but respect for YKM and its players.

I would suggest however, that there might be alternate and equally believable versions of the history which you have been taught, and apparently must hold to be the dearest truth.

BJ - you are right, I have never been priviledged to see the YKM internal forms. I apologize if categorizing them as Chi Gung was not accurate. Dragon Style is also categorized as internal (at the higher levels). One day I would like to experience and learn from a YKM Sifu, if the opportunity presents itself!

Cheers - kevin

fiercest tiger
07-08-2001, 03:49 AM
The only believable history you may have is from either a bak mei or dragon prespective! i dont really care what people want to believe but, maybe you will meet a decent ykm sifu. oneday you may see the real ykm internal forms as well!

;)

tnwingstun,

hahaha i like a good spanking :D my respect for bak mei is legit, you know that!

one thing i hate guys, is you think you want to tell people and give an answer to the topics here at kfo, but everyone seems to know it all, plus they know more about your own style and teacher then you do!! :(

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

meltdawn
07-08-2001, 05:29 AM
HAHAHHAHAAAHAHA!!! Just like old times!!! Get the noose!

FT, you really shood have Biu Ji check yer spelling and grammor before you post, it wood save us all allot of undue argueing. ;)

And another thing (while I'm on my soapbox), because ANY style does not have a history past 100 years of teaching laymen, does not mean that style has not existed. :) Uhhh, uhhhh, like pak mei.... lung ying.... OK,OK - yau kung moon (I don't know, my teacher never says anything about it, so maybe it doesn't exist).

Oh, and is it pak mei or bak mei? Sarm tone or sam tong? Ching or Qing? I always thought the "k" and "r" were silent. :)

And why should a website discuss technique... your sifu make no money!!! Ya know, lf there were a dragon chat room, it'd be the quietest room on the net.

And yet another thing, how exactly do you "see" internal forms?

If everyone seems to know-it-all, and you add your opinion, does that mean you are also a know-it-all?

We need some **** concensus around here!!!

"Waiting is bad." - Musashi

KMF students
07-08-2001, 07:01 AM
Eric, Tnwingtsun….

Eric, if the website you mentioned was that of our school:

1) Our site is not down, but we have moved. Our new URL is: http://www.whiteeyebrowpakmeikungfu.homestead.com/

2) No where on our site do we proclaim Sifu Kwong Man Fong as ‘…the only true bak mei sifu in the states.’

Perhaps the reason why you cannot find websites with information you are familiar with is that White eyebrow system that you are learning is from a different lineage from most of the people on this forum. Please read the following excerpts from the August 2000 issue of ‘Inside Kung-Fu’, this was an article written by Robert Chu on your Sigung:

'….Eddie Chong, that I finally write about his particular bak mei art and focus on his unique school from Futshan.'

After telling the history of the Cheung Lai Chuen, the origins of Futshan bak mei is told:

'In contrast, the Futshan bak mei system traces its origin to Fung Fou Dao Yan (Wind Fire Daoist).'

Tnwingtsun,

Your statement of the Pak Mei school in NYC is the reason for this post, since we are the only school with a website that we are aware of. Why did you think Eric was talking about our school?

As we told Eric, we do not claim Kwong Man Fong as the only true Pak Mei Sifu teaching in the states. If there are any questions regarding this, please feel free to contact us privately at PakMeiWhiteEyebrow@Hotmail.com.

Hope all is well with your Sifu and school.

PakMeiWhiteEyebrow@Hotmail.com

fiercest tiger
07-08-2001, 07:08 AM
meltdawn
i dont know it all, i know more about YAU KUNG MUN then anyone here, and any sifu that is from dragon or bak mei or should i say barrrrk may, looong yiiiing ;)

the arguement was about ykm being a younger system, and made up or then again LESSER LINEAGE SYSTEM. my arguement is, dont talk about what you dont know, i know my system alot more than you and many others. you hear stories off your sifu or others about ykm being this and that!

our internal forms meltdawn are slow moving like tai chi, called yau kung sup batt serng toy jerng. it is a system in itself with standing and sitting chi kung, iron ball, sensitivity, herbs etc. The name was give for ykm is from the MONK TIT YUN.

The bak mei was added to make it a BIGGER SYSTEM. im sure dragon and bak mei have chi kung, but i have never seen these slow moving forms if they have any??? so i wont comment on your art or bak mei chi kung!
:p

come & visit us!
yaukungmun@hotmail.com

Eric
07-08-2001, 11:16 AM
no KMF students that was not the site I was referring to.. Your site is a new one to me. And I learned something from it..

I wish I could find the link to the site I had mentioned.. I also wish I could have used a term other than "legitimate".sheesh.. I didn't mean that I think these schools are teaching crap, I just meant that seeing a site that is proclaiming their sifu as the only "true" sifu of bak mei, makes me wonder what they are up to. Bak mei sites are not the only sites i have seen like this. Some Wing Chun sites are just as guilty as well as several other martial arts sites. Every where you look you find "masters" and "grand Masters".. did they earn that title or is it a marketing scheme.. Too many sites proclaim this or that and then throw a lineage tree in there to prove they are right, well... thats all fine, but why don't you tell me more about your style and its history instead of craming that sh1t down my throat. Too busy making themselves look good to share some information I guess.

tnwingtsun:
"but by saying that I not calling him not ligit,just that I do not agree with him."

can you translate this for me.. I thought for a moment that you we doing a Yoda impression but then I read it a couple times and it still didn't make any sense.

:)

I am not questioning anyones lineage or style.. All I am looking for is more information so that I can learn about the style... I would like to know more about it but I can't seem to get past the bullsh1t. I don't have the knowledge of bak mei to question anyones theory, but I would like to.

Eric
07-08-2001, 11:49 AM
This style of White Eyebrow taught decends from the Buddhist Sect.

Sifu Chong's sifu is Lee, Yong Kien, and is located in Foshan City (formally Futshan), Guangdong Province, Peoples Republic of (Mainland) China. Sifu Lee's sifu is the legendary Lau, Siu Leung of Canton. Mr. Lee is a closed-door student of Mr. Lau and Mr. Chong is a closed-door student of Mr. Lee. The traces of Mr. Lau go back to Fung Fou Dao Yan (Wind Fire Daoist), whose birthname is not known at this time.

well sh1t on me I lucked out and found something..