PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Kim gets nailed!!

Nick Monticello
07-02-2002, 02:24 PM
Could this be John C Kim's brother??

http://libercratic.government.directnic.com/Journal/culture/sports/tigerkim.htm

Martial-arts school hurt kids, pupils
Denver Post, Feb. 29, 2000
By Sean Kelly
Feb. 29, 2000 - In a promotional brochure, Tiger Kim's Academy promises to build self-confidence and respect.

Former students say they instead learned fear and humiliation, suffered physical and sexual abuse and watched helplessly as children were physically punished.

One of the largest martial arts studios in Denver, Tiger Kim's Academy is more of a cult than a school, former students said, claiming they were forced to fall to their knees and call the owner 'Hananim,' Korean for God. 'I am so tired of watching kids cry, looking at that fear in their eyes,' said former employee and student Janet Roach, her voice choked by sobs. 'It's pretty pathetic that they have to run a school based on intimidation and abuse.' The owners of Tiger Kim's Academy have not commented on the allegations, instead referring all questions to current student Mark Sutherland. He said the accusations are all false.

'Nothing like that has ever gone on to my knowledge, and I've been a student for 20 years,' Sutherland said. 'I wouldn't let my children go to school here if I had seen anything like that.' Since Roach, a former secretary and student, and a few other former students came forward last week with allegations of physical abuse and sexual harassment, several more have come forward with similar stories.

Now totaling more than 10 former students, they allege they were abused by Jung Kil 'Tiger' Kim and his son, Sung Kim. They also level a litany of other charges against the school, including racism and financial impropriety, and say Tiger Kim misrepresented his credentials and made outlandish promises.

'They scare the hell out of kids. They pee their pants because they're afraid to ask if they can go the bathroom,' said Teresa Hamilton, who attended the school with her son over four months in 1998. 'I don't like to hear my child scream.' Roach and Hamilton said they now live in fear and have been harassed by the Kims since going public with their charges. They said they've been followed and someone broke into their house last week. Several other students did not want their names used for fear of retaliation.

The students joined Tiger Kim's for a number of reasons: self-defense, exercise and to build self-esteem. The Kims, they said, told students the academy was 'one big happy family' and demanded absolute loyalty. 'It was a system of manipulation and worship. I would call it a cult,' said one former student.

Denver police say they are investigating the matter, particularly allegations by the mother of a 5year-old boy. She told police the boy was physically abused and was forced to hold a concrete block over his head as punishment.

The Kims, through Sutherland, said the charges were made up.

'They're ridiculous. They're being made by a disgruntled former employee looking to get back at them,' Sutherland said of Roach. 'And the people supporting her are her friends.' Roach says she quit working at Tiger Kim's on Feb. 15. More than a week later, she received a letter from the academy telling her that her services were no longer needed. She says the letter, postmarked Feb. 22, is a late attempt by the Kims to discredit her story. 'They really don't want me to talk,' Roach said. 'But I feel I have to for the kids that are still there.' Located at 3200 E. Colfax Ave., Tiger Kim's has specialized in the Korean martial arts tae kwon do and tang soo do for more than 20 years.

But despite the defensive nature of the arts, Tiger Kim, 62, would often hit students as punishment, Roach and the others said. He would use an oak 'bo,' or stick designed for fighting, on the backs of students' legs, they said. Roach said she was abused by Sung Kim. The 24-year-old instructor would choke her, hit her, stab her with darts and systematically use pressure points to intimidate her.

One time Roach tried to kick back, she said. Sung Kim 'absorbed the blow and bloodied my nose,' she said. She is still paying bills from a knee injury she said was caused by Sung Kim.

'All this didn't happen in class. They thought beating up on me made them look good,' she said. 'Like father, like son.' Young students also were forced to curl their toes under the balls of their feet and stand like ballerinas, said Douglas Anderson, who earned his black belt at the school. 'I love this sport. I love the martial arts. But I saw things I shouldn't have,' Anderson said. 'I'm sorry I ever took my kids there.' Children were often taken into a back room, Roach said. When they came out, 'they were shaking like a leaf,' she said.

Several students said they feel the Kims misrepresented themselves. Their promotional brochure shows photos of Tiger Kim with actor Chuck Norris and Denver Broncos head coach Mike Shanahan. A spokesman for Shanahan said the coach does not know Tiger Kim and the picture was used without his knowledge or approval.

The brochure also claims that Tiger Kim once taught martial-arts legend Bruce Lee, a dubious claim since Lee practiced kung fu rather than tae kwon do, said local fifthdegree black belt Ghassan Timani. As secretary general of the Colorado State Taekwondo Association, Timani said he has heard stories about certain studios, including Tiger Kim's, using such physical punishments in violation of widely accepted standards. 'People need to know that Tiger Kim's is the exception and not the rule,' said Timani, the instructor at Korean Academy in Aurora. 'This one example is giving a black eye to everybody in the martial arts, and that's not right.' Timani also said Tiger Kim's pulled out of the Colorado State Taekwondo Association more than six years ago. In the promotional brochure, Tiger Kim's claims to be the Kukkiwon Taekwondo headquarters, even though the Kukkiwon - the sport's governing body - recognizes only the state association through the United States Taekwondo Union.

A number of former students also accuse the Kims of racism. They claim the Kims often charge different monthly rates based on race and appearance - with non-Korean Asians, blacks and whites paying the most. Hispanic women and Koreans paid the least.

The Rev. Eric Pearman, a black belt whose daughter was enrolled at the school, claims the academy also hid testing fees from new students. These fees, which reach $1,000 for a black belt, are mandatory and were not disclosed until students had signed long-term contracts.

Several students said they were failed on tests for higher belts or had their belts stripped so they would have to re-test and pay the fees again.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former students of John C. Kim (63) called the school a cult to which they suffered abuse and humiliation and were constantly required to pay outrageous fees, one course cost as much as $18,000. In July, 1997, Kim, was sentenced to 5 years in prison and fined $17,500 for tax evasion.

KC Elbows
07-02-2002, 03:01 PM
I had a girlfriend named Kim once. She was only interested in money and sex, too. Coincidence?

Qi dup
07-02-2002, 03:51 PM
I've driven by it a couple of times

Serpent
07-02-2002, 04:58 PM
Toss a molotov next time you pass, will ya.

jun_erh
07-02-2002, 06:00 PM
what an ******* (obviously)

Chang Style Novice
07-03-2002, 07:04 AM
"R. Kelly and two Catholic Priests walk into a bar..."

Spirit Writer
07-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Lot of speculation and circumstance involved there. Holding a brick over head = power training. Bloody nose? Well, it is a martial arts. Coming out of the back room shaky? Maybe forced to do 50 push-ups on their knuckles.
Who hasn't been pear-pressured to endure a 30 minute horse stance with the rest of class? This is martial training, not day camp. No one is forced EVER to return. Not saying all is right here, but relative. Two sides to every story.

BAI HE
07-03-2002, 07:46 AM
"Former students of John C. Kim (63) called the school a cult to which they suffered abuse and humiliation and were constantly required to pay outrageous fees, one course cost as much as $18,000. In July, 1997, Kim, was sentenced to 5 years in prison and fined $17,500 for tax evasion."

You know, running a TKD ponzi scheme cult isn't so bad, but not paying your taxes? C'mon didn't he learn from thOSE Chung Moo Doe clowns?
THE IRS IS INVINCIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 07:55 AM
Those are those chung moo guys(John C. Kim isn't Tiger Kim).

I don't know why they put that blurb at the end of the article, it's about a different school.

Unless John Kim is moonlighting.

Chum Kil
07-03-2002, 08:29 AM
Spirit Writer says

"No one is forced EVER to return."

But guess what, you still have to fullfill your contract. Plus makes more room for someone else to attend. Way one to make free money.

Spirit Writer
07-03-2002, 08:39 AM
I knew for sure soemone was going to say that. I'll tell you what, let me keep sticking a plunger in your arse -- you'll keep coming back right, because you signed a contract. Think big. Bigger then contracts. Think about personal freedom to decide EVERYTHING.

red5angel
07-03-2002, 08:40 AM
I am a little skeptical here. Without knowing these guys this thing could br traditional training taken way out of context. Think about it. Think about the way MA people used to train? Now apply that to western way sof thinking.......

Chum Kil
07-03-2002, 10:15 AM
"I'll tell you what, let me keep sticking a plunger in your arse -- you'll keep coming back right, because you signed a contract."

Sure they don't have to come back I hope, but they still have to pay. So it can be a money scam. All I'm saying is, yes they don't have to take the abuse or what ever, but they still have to pay. Most people would like to quit going plus not have to pay the *******s.

gazza99
07-03-2002, 03:00 PM

Qi dup
07-03-2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Serpent
Toss a molotov next time you pass, will ya.

Molotov:confused:

joedoe
07-03-2002, 06:47 PM
Molotov ****tail. A home-made petrol bomb.

Shadow Dragon
07-03-2002, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Qi dup

Molotov:confused:

Molotov ****tail = very hot drink.

I thought those went out of fashion already.

guohuen
07-03-2002, 07:29 PM
Then there's the car bomb. That's a shot of jameson's in a pint of guinness. A much better "hot" drink would be a brave bull. That's a shot of cuervo and tabasco.:D

straight blast
07-03-2002, 08:24 PM
The brochure also claims that Tiger Kim once taught martial-arts legend Bruce Lee,

Wow, another one! :rolleyes:

Serpent
07-03-2002, 08:25 PM
Another great cocktail is the Cocksucking Cowboy. Terrible name, but it's soooo tasty.

1) Take one shot glass.

2) Add one shot of Butterscotch Schnapps (this can vary to taste, but it should really be butterscotch Schnapps).

3) Gently add Baileys. The Baileys will sit on top. Add about a half inch.

4) Slam!
( 4a) Go, "Fwooahh! ****, that's sweet!" )

5) Repeat indefinitely.

6) Next day, pray for death....

As for the Molotov that I referred to, I meant the Original Molotov Cocktail, which is a bottle full of petrol with a petrol soaked rag stuffed in the top. Light the rag, toss the bottle, et voila! Instant inferno.

Don't try this at home, kids.

Go to a neighbours house! :D

Qi dup
07-03-2002, 10:11 PM
ohhhhh, it's a C0cktail bomb! Well that shouldn't be a problem, we're all about c0cktail bombs in the Summit Set.

anton
07-05-2002, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by Serpent

As for the Molotov that I referred to, I meant the Original Molotov Cocktail, which is a bottle full of petrol with a petrol soaked rag stuffed in the top. Light the rag, toss the bottle, et voila! Instant inferno.

Don't try this at home, kids.

Go to a neighbours house! :D

If you're a traditionalist you should add glycerine to the petrol in the bottle, and give the bottle a good shake before you thorw it. ;)

MA fanatic
07-06-2002, 05:04 AM
This is not about "HOW PEOPLE USED TO TRAIN." Most methods
of ancient training when dealing with kids would and should be considered ABUSIVE. Besides, when working with kids, such training techniques are counterproductive and serve no purpose but to instill fear. There are martial arts instructors who instill fear as a means of covering up their own inability to teach, and/or their own lack of skill. From time to time these stories surface and they are "a black eye" to the martial arts community.
MA fanatic

Royal Dragon
07-06-2002, 08:29 AM
I think it is funny, but an old Boxing coach could not go one round with his top level fighters, but without him they would not be top level fighters to begin with. that being said, how come we never hear bizzar cult like stories about boxing gyms?? Shouldn't Boxing coaches be doing the same thing to cover thier lack of skill?

You may be right in many casess, but in others there is a legit power trip and cult atmosphere going on. Otherwise all old Boxing coaches who could no longer box at a high level would be doing the same.

Shaolindynasty
07-07-2002, 10:55 AM
I think the "cult" stuff that has been sufaceing in MA is due to some of the preceived religious aspects of martial arts. It's not that hard to fool people from a culture who's introduction to kungfu was the tv series "kung fu" with david carradine. Levitation and other mystical powers were all in that show, with the show being so popular it's not that hard to understand why people would think the strange powers and weird customs are a normal part of martial arts. These stereo types are also reinforced by instructors who use them for marketing to cash in.

There is also the fact that many people come to martial arts to fill some kind of spiritual void. Martial arts can be a good introduction into the philosophy of Taoism and Zen. It can be taken the wrong way by allot of people, or the teacher may not have any ability and use the spiritual side as a cover.

There isn't just one reason why this happens. Could be that the teacher is just crazy.

The west isn't the only place where these cults exsist though. Asia has allot of them to, look at the boxer rebelion those guys used to call spirits to posses them and use magic charms that would protect them from guns.

Cults are just a weird side culture to martial arts, it's not something to be obsessive about. Just educate people by teaching what martial arts really are and let them see for themselves.