PDA

View Full Version : Opinions wanted

Hai_To
07-02-2002, 02:46 PM
I came across this website a while ago and this article caught my attention. I'm curious to see what everyone else's opinion is. The section that most intrigued me was contained in the last two paragraphs. I'm curious about a few things.

1 - Does anyone live by this creed?
2 - Does anyone want to live by this creed?
3 - What do people think of the creed itself?

Living According to Nature (http://www.livingvalues.com/lvarticl2.htm)

The Warrior Creed (http://www.livingvalues.com/warrior_creed.htm)

No_Know
07-02-2002, 02:51 PM
The creed seems like self assurance and self confidence. Not altogether bad things if you are a Marine in war conditions.

Hai_To
07-02-2002, 02:54 PM
Granted, but don't you think it could be considered a little self-aggrandizing?

Not that I disagree with you, just playing Devil's Advocate.

No_Know
07-02-2002, 04:08 PM
Iwo Jima indicates a war. Feeling that what you are doing is a good thing is good then. Feeling that you are helpful can give at least momentary rest to all the bad feelings we might have about ourselves. Feeling that you are important and have value or a place in the world enhances the selfless Will to live.

Without these, the mental state of a military person (in moments where attention should be on the surroundings and the tasks at hand (Survival...the Mission(s)...), might be shot. And the body soon to follow.

Devil's advocate can be conducive to good thinking.

Hai_To
07-03-2002, 09:21 AM
I would imagine that Robert L. Humphrey developed his creed while serving in the Marines. I can understand how it would be a very good code to live by while serving. Especially if your fellow Marines followed the same line of thinking.

How effective would such a creed be in a non-wartime situation, i.e. in a large city like New York? Do you think such an attitude could be detrimental to your continued well-being? In other words, you're in a bar or on the subway and something starts to go down. You decide to get involved (which is very rare these days and someone who does decide to get involved deserves to be commended) because you are a martial artist and you want to live up to The Warrior Creed. You end up getting shot for your trouble. Would it be worth it?

Is the creed situation specific? Is it more appropriate to a military person than to a civilian?

Helicopter
07-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Isn't it part of the Shaolin moral code to protect the innocent, weak and oppressed and fight oppressors?

(I think it's a high ideal and worth striving for, even if it is unrealistic.)

Jpcm

No_Know
07-03-2002, 11:53 AM
"Do you think such an attitude could be detrimental to your continued well-being?"

That is the possibility for every good deed, to some extent. Perhaps.

It wouldn't be detrimental to continued well being because It doesn't require you to take action nor befreind everyone. It just means be more open. And when you could do something to help that you feel right about, do it. This Could get you hurt in one sense. But, release you. Releave you, in another. Be aware. Decide how you can stand to live. Then Be.

In the situation you present, it Would be worth while. Only you could evaluate it if you think it's worth it. And thinking it's worth it at the moment...Thinking about it later you could Think it was not worth it. And thinking about it later than that, it could be thought to Be worthwhile. People look at things from different perspectives and get constant influences and unsureness allows their opinions to shift. But your Action to help might give~ courage to others and their actions afterwards could help others to find the courage we all have but that some restrain. The Scene didn't go down as it would have. And a life or lives might have been saved. Not nice thoughts could also have occured. But something within the Human nature within the Human Being, would come out from a dark place into which we retreat. It Would be worth it.

It's situation specific in where it was created. Yet, applicable to both military and civilian. It fills the world of the military person more-so than civilian. Civilian has more facets to existance. Actually, The Warriors Creed to which you have referred is useful but seems civilian might need at least slightly different.

David Jamieson
07-03-2002, 12:03 PM
No Know is correct, that particular creed is situation specific and is insular to the agenda of the marines and those they serve.

How could the people who side with the marine's enemy be safe? They cannot be considered safe as they are targets of the marine seeing as they do not follow the same ideology.

This does not make the marine wrong in his actions, he is serving and it is his job to simply do as he is told, not to think about whatr he has been told to do. Ergo, where ever he goes not "everyone" is a little safer, some are a little "deader.

A soldier does neither right nor wrong, a soldier does as he is instructed.

peace

No_Know
07-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Sayings communicate ways to think. Too specific and it gets confusing. Applying a saying to everything like a blanket that covers everything. Is other than sensible. Blankets cover a lot, not everything (literally). Saying, "everyone" guides the thoughts to those one would be around in a non-combat way. It is likely, not literal.

Spirit Writer
07-03-2002, 12:44 PM
I agree with some of that ... broadly. The only nature one needs to live by is their own. You need to discover Your Self. Who it is that You are, and then act accordingly.
Be careful in making blanket statements about your duty to others. Your only duty it to Yourself, creating who You are every moment, via Your thoughts, words and actions. Listen to Yourself and You will know what to do in each circumstance and learn from it.

gazza99
07-03-2002, 02:56 PM
whatever.....