PDA

View Full Version : What's your least favorite weapon?

KC Elbows
07-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Mine's the fan. Can't stand it. Learned some, the only parts I liked could have been done with a pointed stick. In fact, in my opinion, if you want to get in a fight, your best bet is to be a six foot male with a painted fan. Just about any bar you go into, you should be prepared to defend yourself.

I also hate big double hammers, but they're better than fans. Fans suck.

Please share.

Hai_To
07-02-2002, 03:36 PM
I never really liked fan either. I also disliked 3 section staff too. Granted it looks cool, but catching one of those ends in the temple isn't too much fun.

neito
07-02-2002, 09:11 PM
any kind of flail type weapon: chain-whip, nunchakus, rope with a knot, whatever. too painful to master

TjD
07-02-2002, 09:24 PM
guns, i hate em
they kill people too easy

all the kung fu in the world wont save ya from a lunatic with a gun

SevenStar
07-02-2002, 09:34 PM
I gotta agree with neito. I would love to learn the melon hammers that KC hates, but we don't learn them in my school. If the melons are heavy, they must be awesome forearm builders.

Serpent
07-02-2002, 09:57 PM
TjD got it right IMO.

Guns and bombs. By far the worst things man has ever made.

Hau Tien
07-02-2002, 10:17 PM
We have melon hammers in the school I attend:) I look forward to learning them...

We also have 3 section staff (I can hardly wait) and cern chi gwan (nunchaku)... I'm just about done that form, and like it just fine.

My least favorite? I guess that'd have to be the staff. I guess it's just kind of "bland" compared with some of the other weapons our style trains in:)

neito
07-02-2002, 10:24 PM
despite the obvious combat affectiveness of single broadsword or straight sword, i find the way it encourages training one hand over the other does'nt quite sit right with me. i'd rather go double weapons or two handed, or weapon and shield.

SevenStar
07-02-2002, 10:34 PM
the staff is bland, but look at that balance of speed, range and power - I love the staff.

dezhen2001
07-03-2002, 02:07 AM
Haven't really done any weapons yet, got a long way to go before that happens :D

I done a little wing chun pole (Luk Dim Boon Gwun)... it kills man! 8 foot long and have to hold it in horse stance :D The baat jam do (knives) look cool though, but also very hard to do!

My school also has chen shi taijiquan and some shaolin, so theres a myriad of cool weapons to train there... i would like to learn the staff if possible, as well as all your cool stuff like the kwan do, spear, 9 section chain... can't beat a good broadsword or straight sword either :)

david

kungfu cowboy
07-03-2002, 02:35 AM
The parking meter.

Helicopter
07-03-2002, 02:49 AM
I actually want to learn the fan! I saw a "rolling cloud" (or something, can't remember) form performed a while ago, it wasn't done all that well, but it still looked fantastic ('scuse the pun :p ).

I know two eye-brow height stick forms (three including a partner form). The first one 'southern "monkey-king" stick' I find a bit clunky (nb: this isn't a monkey-style form), I find it difficult to get it to flow (but the strikes are v. powerful). The other one 'the blind monk's stick' is much more fun, lots of twirls and swinging it 'round your head.

So I guess alot depends on the way you use the weapon.

Personally I never fancied learning the melon hammers (Luckily I don't think our school knows any hammer forms.):)

jpcm

Helicopter
07-03-2002, 02:56 AM
Lol at Parking Meter.

Btw, the higher level instructors at our school had to invent a form for a grading and one of them did a "rolled-up magazine" form.

I mean what are more likely to be carrying? An 8' spear?:)

Jpcm

BAI HE
07-03-2002, 05:01 AM
Lawn dart, spatula or riding crop.

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 06:02 AM
Never underestimate the effectiveness of the lawn dart. Never.

BAI HE
07-03-2002, 06:06 AM
I prefer the squirtgun filled with ****.

Helicopter
07-03-2002, 06:10 AM
Is that from the same school that brought us the "sh!tty stick" and "smelly finger" techniques?

apoweyn
07-03-2002, 06:28 AM
staff. i never got the hang of the staff. too unwieldy. (only because i haven't put the time in, i'm sure.) in FMA, we got plenty of practice with the stick, double stick, dagger, etc. but not much with the staff.

i like it's simplicity, versatility, etc. i don't like what it insists on doing to the side of my head.

stuart b.

Sestum
07-03-2002, 07:15 AM
Kamas.... i know there not really a kung fu weapon, but im sick of seeing them everywhere!!! every tournment i go to! with a 10 yr old kid flashing them around... *sigh*

Bolt
07-03-2002, 07:27 AM
....would have to be the one in the * other * guy's hand !

guohuen
07-03-2002, 08:11 AM
"Lawn dart, spatula or riding crop." Me thinks this is turning into a marital aids thread.
I dislike using namchakus. Three sectional staff is supposedly harder but I prefer it.

Dale Dugas
07-03-2002, 08:13 AM
I have learned a healthy respect for the Sam Jay Kuen(3 sectional staff) after performing some figure 8's and letting the tension off a bit. The centrifical force came back on my then numbnut arse and caused the lower stick to hit me square in the bollocks. Knocked myself out with that one when I was a undergraduate student in Indiana. I had some witnesses and they laughed and fell down before coming to see if I was okay after falling over.

My least favorite weapon is the straight edge sword. Very hard for a big man to move with it as smoothly as needed. Im more into the iron rulers.

In Boston,

Dale

David Jamieson
07-03-2002, 08:14 AM
1. Hydrogen Bomb
2. bio weapons of mass destruction
3. ac130 gunships
4. conventional ordinance

as for classical weapons, they are all pretty cool to me.

peace

old jong
07-03-2002, 08:28 AM
The manhole cover!... a little too heavy for most.Not practical or easy to conseal!...Still it makes a great shield. ;)

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 08:30 AM
Kung Lek obviously has never cross-trained in nuclear fu.

The masters of the fusion temple don't even have to shave their own heads, it just falls out through their own internal energy.

guohuen
07-03-2002, 09:01 AM
When your in the bush, Puff the magic dragon (ac130) is like one of God's angels coming to the rescue.

jun_erh
07-04-2002, 03:39 PM
1. the thing about the three section staff is that, say you were using it in an actual confrontation, if you dropped it, chances are the other person wouldn't know what to do with it. unlike a knife

2. the staff is the most boringm yet the most exciting weapon because of it's basicness. I remember reading something written by that white guy who trained at Shaolin who was in KFQ like a year ago. he was saying that when the best guys would go for a really high level test, it was usually with the staff. does that make sense??

Stacey
07-04-2002, 04:16 PM
nunchucks.

I've been chucking since I was 10, but whenever I've hitsomeone/thing with them, they have a tendency to bounce back.

I detest weapons of all kinds. They are fun, make you feel powerfull, but can you actually imagine hurting someone with it. To stab someone? Not very nice.

NorthernMantis
07-04-2002, 05:32 PM
it's not in my style but I totally dislike nunchaku. Especially the glow in the dark ones.

Mr Punch
07-04-2002, 09:09 PM
LMAO at Bolt!

Don't like nunchaku either.

Nor feet!

Knees, yeah.

Even learning to use and happy with my shins.

But feet?

Only for running!

yu shan
07-04-2002, 09:57 PM
hands and feet...