PDA

View Full Version : MA Schools in D.C.

BrentCarey
07-02-2002, 09:37 PM
Does anyone have experience with schools in Washington, D.C.? A youth student of mine will be moving there in a year and I agreed to do some research on training options there.

Style? Well, it's not terribly important. I think this particular boy would do well with a fairly direct style such as Wing Chun. The school need not be Chinese.

Any advice?

Peace,

Brent Carey

wushu chik
07-02-2002, 09:42 PM
Try Master Dennis Browns School..i don't know the addy..but you could find it really easily. He's awesome!

~Wen~

Jowbacca
07-03-2002, 05:47 AM
:rolleyes:

www.wongkungfu.com :cool:

Merryprankster
07-03-2002, 06:09 AM
Lloyd Irvin in Camp Springs, MD www.lloydirvin.com. They have a GREAT kids/youth program.

Leo Dalla (rumor has it) is moving to the US and will be opening a school in Woodbridge, VA.

Brooks (Khun Kao on this board) runs some MT classes that an industrious student would do well at, at One Spirit Martial Arts. I think they are www.onespiritmartialarts.com.

My Boxing coach takes youths (I don't know about KIDS, but he takes high-schoolers) as well. www.downtownboxing.com (I think).

apoweyn
07-03-2002, 06:24 AM
dennis brown is headquartered in silver spring, i believe. used to be at any rate. i've been to his school a couple of times. i'm with wushu chik. brown's got a good reputation.

but honestly, when it comes right down to it, i can't imagine that there's much that couldn't be found hereabouts. jhoon rhee is headquartered here (taekwondo). merryprankster mentioned muay thai, BJJ, and boxing. kung fu. capoeira. you name it.

stuart b.

Merryprankster
07-03-2002, 06:44 AM
You can't freakin find San Shou or MT during the daytime, ******!

Chang Style Novice
07-03-2002, 06:54 AM
My fantasy is to have a school that teaches what I'm learning now, but spars more, has a locker/shower room, and schedules classes first thing in the morning so I can work out, clean up, then go to work.

This is probably moving in the direction of science fiction, though.

edit -

And while I'm fantasizing, why stop there? They should also have a laundry service so I don't have to wash my own gear, and a great take-out restaraunt, and a lottery machine that only sells winning tickets.

apoweyn
07-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster
You can't freakin find San Shou or MT during the daytime, ******!

oh, hey, Hell called. they're all out of ice water. ;)

guohuen
07-03-2002, 08:16 AM
"Nobody bother me! call USA-1000" Jhoon Rhee's dojang

apoweyn
07-03-2002, 09:15 AM
you know, i was at a cookout in gaithersburg recently with a bunch of guys i knew in college. we started talking about martial arts and, on a lark, called that number. still works. still jhoon rhee.

stuart b.

guohuen
07-03-2002, 09:23 AM
Used to spar with a lot of students there in the 70's. Good stuff.
Gaithersburg. Hope you brought your redneck repellent. Just kidding!:p

apoweyn
07-03-2002, 10:13 AM
oy! i lived in gaithersburg until a week ago. :)

now, you need the yuppy repellant too. ;)

gazza99
07-03-2002, 02:58 PM
TKF is the bomb....they have the only truth:eek: :rolleyes: