PDA

View Full Version : Why does everyone come to KFO?

dezhen2001
07-03-2002, 04:29 AM
Hey guys, howr y'all doing?

This is just a question that i have been wondering lately, saying as we have such a diverse range of characters on these boards :)
Personally i mainly come here just to hang out and meet new people, and coz i'm a kung fu geek something MA related is cool also :D

so why do you all come here? I've put a few things up on the poll, but if theres anything i have forgotten or not your reason, then feel free to add below :)

david

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 06:04 AM
Is it really wasted time while working? I mean, really, if my employers really understood the importance of kung fu, they would gladly pay to have me research and practice for eight hours a day.

I am just saving them from their own ignorance.

Chang Style Novice
07-03-2002, 06:07 AM
I come to learn from poeple who know better than I do and to crack wise.

dezhen2001
07-03-2002, 06:10 AM
Well, of course kung fu is VERY important. But when ur working for your boss ur meant to be doing what HE/SHE thinks is important, unless you can convert them of course ;)

CSN: you do indeed crack wise :D

david

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 06:36 AM
Dezhen,
I don't like what you are saying, so I will just assume you are wrong. Anyway, you don't know my boss, so there.:D

Souljah
07-03-2002, 06:41 AM
The reason I come on primarily is to learn about peoples views on ma outside the UK. Which, on threads like 'STYLE VS STYLE INTERNAL VS EXTERNAL' I have been able to do.
These boards are great as I have learnt much and have only been signed up for just over a week! :D

Merryprankster
07-03-2002, 06:51 AM
I came here to educate the ignorant masses about the remarkably effective and devistating art of Brazilian Jiujitsu. :D

Ok. I came here looking for a place for my girlfriend's friend to train, but he's a neo-hippy freak who's looking for a master/disciple relationship, and some old chinese guy to teach him out of a laundry while learning mystical chi powers (I **** you not). So all the places I found out about were a bust. If he accidentally went to a San Shou school, he'd squeal like a stuck pig when he got truly pounded on the first time.

Puss.

Nevermind that he's the angriest, laziest, most materialistic buddhist I've ever met and no master of any sort would take him in. His aversion to hard physical work is an insurmountable obstacle.

Anyway, I made some choice observations on a thread about "anti-grappling," got immediately sucked into an argument, and stuck around :)

old jong
07-03-2002, 07:04 AM
I came here to learn about the "devistating" art of Brazilian JiuJitsu!.... I was looking for a "hey buddy let's hang on the beach and watch for the strings and the t1ts and why not go to the puta house after rolling" type of relationship with some blue belt!...;) But,it's a Kung Fu forum and I am practicing a style of Kung Fu so, I stuck around also! ;)
Still,I learned a lot about BJJ!... :D ;)

Merryprankster
07-03-2002, 07:11 AM
Old Jong a "Bahti Boy?" Who knew? :)

Good thing I'm a purple belt!!!

old jong
07-03-2002, 07:15 AM
I would be willing to learn from you even if you are no longer a blue belt!...But forget the puta house please! :eek:

Le nOObi
07-03-2002, 07:29 AM
Originally posted by Merryprankster

Ok. I came here looking for a place for my girlfriend's friend to train, but he's a neo-hippy freak who's looking for a master/disciple relationship, and some old chinese guy to teach him out of a laundry while learning mystical chi powers (I **** you not). So all the places I found out about were a bust. If he accidentally went to a San Shou school, he'd squeal like a stuck pig when he got truly pounded on the first time.

Hee hee stuck pig. Did he ever find out how stupid he was being?

David Jamieson
07-03-2002, 07:38 AM
All the primo smack talk!

There is a preponderance of 56th degree smack talking black sashes here and I just want to be in their ranks.

How could I resist.

Merry, I think I've met your hippy friend :D ...actually, i think I've met an army of people like that. Too much kwai chang cain as a kid I guess.

peace

NorthernMantis
07-03-2002, 07:40 AM
I come here to talk about martial arts with "actual"martial artists. Trying to talk to regular people about martial arts can get really boring as

1) They think you're crazy.

2) They ask you if you can kick their butt.

3) They lecture you how martia arts and how it is all about the mind.

4) The bigger guys think your full of it.

The disccussions are good and they don't only pertain to just kung fu. I have learned much about the history and technique of styles like bjj and ninjutsu. Heck a year ago I didn't even know what a double leg takedown looked like. You get to learn a lot about the different systems of martial arts so that's a plus.

Other than that I'm addicted to kfo.:p

ewallace
07-03-2002, 07:48 AM
I first came on looking for a cma school in San Antonio.

I stayed because KC Elbows wanted a war.

But "for realz" it has really opened my eyes to many different ma styles I didn't know much about before. Plus I enjoy shooting the **** with all you limey sods overseas. Speaking of which, where the hell has Sharky been?

guohuen
07-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Dezhen, How did you know I work for a HE/SHE?
:p
Seriously, I signed up here to learn after I realized USAWKF was a bad joke. I haven't been dissappointed.

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 07:52 AM
Sharky's probably enjoying the sunny weather. How's it by you?:p

Skarbromantis
07-03-2002, 07:54 AM
It kills the hours at work, and when i first came aboard, it was all about Ralek, Rolls, i remember the jokes!!

How could i leave!

Skard1

ewallace
07-03-2002, 08:15 AM
You think it's funny don't you KC. Have a look at these people's misery (http://www.stuntman.fi/htm/tuotteet/liput/lippu28.jpg) and you won't be laughing anymore.

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 08:24 AM
ROTFLMAO!!:D

Isn't that the link to the aol help desk?

ewallace
07-03-2002, 08:30 AM
It's the same url printed on my bumper sticker for people to post their opinions on my driving. :)

Royal Dragon
07-03-2002, 09:02 AM
I just sort of got stuck here HELLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

ewallace, I just downloaded that "informational artical" for the emoticon file on my forum. :D

guohuen
07-03-2002, 09:08 AM
I thought that was the results of my IQ test.

GeneChing
07-03-2002, 10:07 AM
I AM working. Seriously. Have I told you about all the great stuff you can buy at www.MartialArtsmart.com ? Come on, I have a kid I have to put through college, house payments, bills, bills, bills. Support the forum. Be Martial Art Smart, Shop MartialArtsMart. Tell your friends.

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 10:12 AM
Gene, you need to give up all these harmful attachments. Houses, kids, martial arts supplies, those things all make you go bald, and take away from valuable forum time.

Geez, get your priorities straight.;) :D

fa_jing
07-03-2002, 10:21 AM
I came to KFO looking for info in a search engine, but I had to vote waste time at work. BTW, KFO is my crack at work. Can't stop using.

-FJ

Fred Sanford
07-03-2002, 12:17 PM
I come here because it's good for a laugh. Can't remember the last time I saw so many clueless people.

LMAO!!!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

You big dummies!

KC Elbows
07-03-2002, 12:26 PM
If you think it's bad here, Fred Sanford, you should check out Pahreah, UT.:p

ewallace
07-03-2002, 12:39 PM
Couldn't have said it any better myself KC. In fact that's the most intelligent thing you have ever saigd. <- No typo intended.

Geez how many counties in Utah don't even sell alcohol (referred to as dry counties)? I freakin hate Utah. I almost flew off the side of a mountain there. And that was the ****'in beginner's slope. I never went skiing after that.

And the mormons!!!! Don't even get me started on the mormons.

Budokan
07-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Actually, I come here for all of the reasons listed.

kungfu cowboy
07-03-2002, 12:48 PM
I just come here for the free meals. And it fulfills a requirement for the "naked internet surfing" class I am taking.

Dark Knight
07-03-2002, 01:01 PM
Im like MP, I got sucked in by the anti grappling/BJJ, Karate / anything but Kung Fu discussions.

If I hung around boards that agreed with me Id have to do my job all day

African Tiger
07-03-2002, 01:42 PM
Well I don't know what brings you guys here, but I enjoy being soundly thrashed about the buttocks by Wushu Chik...:p

BrentCarey
07-03-2002, 02:04 PM
Dezhen,

What an interesting question with interesting responses. I'll throw mine in too. I'm actually doing research. That's how I justify this as actually working and not messing around.

I'm pushing myself to expand my understanding by writing articles, speaking publicly, and possibly writing a book before too long. I find that I only truly learn when I am pushed to explain to someone else. Then misconceptions or weak understanding become apparent.

I use the forums as a way to measure what the martial arts community needs so I can write or talk about it. It is my attempt to give something back to the martial arts community while improving my own understanding.

What I have found:

- Most people here like to argue and/or cannot resist an argument.
- As in the rest of life, knowing what one is talking about is not a prerequisite to expressing one's opinion.
- Most people here are relative beginners looking for more information. It is difficult for these people to tell the difference between the unfounded and the empirical.
- Once you get past all of the noise, there are a few gems of wisdom floating around. Every once in a while there is a constructive exchange of ideas and information.
- This is probably the best place in the world to have contact with practitioners of so many different styles, traditions, and backgrounds.
- If one becomes involved in a few active discussions, it becomes a full-time job to keep up.

I only get involved intermittently. Right now I'm recovering from an injury and spend several hours a day stretching. So, I plop the laptop down and here I am.

Peace,

Brent Carey

wushu chik
07-03-2002, 02:24 PM
AT- You and I have some serious problems of yours that we need to work on!!! :D

But seriously, Watchman and Silumkid clued me in on this place, and because I LOVE YOU GUYS SOOOOOOOO, I decided to stick around!

Thanks guys!

~Wen~

kungfu cowboy
07-03-2002, 02:28 PM
What the heck ever happened to Watchman?

ewallace
07-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Wendy doesn't post that much here anymore because I introduced her to ricecop.com. She has been busy defending herself over there.

:)

wushu chik
07-03-2002, 08:35 PM
Um, best I can answer seeing that I haven't talked to him in about a week and a half is....he's just really busy with a bunch of stuff lately. Living life!! But, he's doing really well!! I'll tell him to pop in next time I talk to him!!

~Wen~

African Tiger
07-03-2002, 08:42 PM
Well all I can say is that my problems are pretty HARD, and it will take a HARD WORKER to work ON all of them. :D :D :D

Oh, the question was something about KFO...yeah it's a cool site, but it will be even better when we can start typing **** without fear of auto-censorship.

Serpent
07-03-2002, 08:57 PM
I just can't find the ****ing door outta here!

For the love o'god, someone show me the way out!

BTW. What autocensorship? ;)

joedoe
07-03-2002, 10:09 PM
Believe it or not, I came here to troll a troll. The infamous Goktimus Prime was slagging down my school, so I hopped on here to put him in his place. God that was fun.

Now I am addicted.

"Hello, my name is Joe Doe, and I am a KFOholic".

Serpent
07-03-2002, 10:31 PM
It's like the Hotel California isn't it!

dezhen2001
07-04-2002, 01:51 AM
Thanks for all the responses guys! I KNEW you were all here when u should be WORKING :D I know i am... my Degree has changed from a BA(Hons) in Graphic Communication to a BA(Hons) in Kung Fu (with a minor in BJJ/NHB it seems) :D

KC sez: I don't like what you are saying, so I will just assume you are wrong. That has to be one of the best lines i've heard in a while man. U crack me up :D Hope ur happy now the Jet Li thread has been moved... :mad:

Guohuen: LOL at that :D

Well, i found this place by accident really... have been on russbo.com for quite some time and it was mentioned somewhere. I don't even get Genes magazine :p ssshhh

david

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2002, 04:10 AM
Wushu chik--thanks for the update. I am glad he is doing well.:)

dezhen2001
07-04-2002, 04:27 AM
kfc: I'm almost the same number of posts as you :D Do we spend far 2 much time here or what!

david

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2002, 04:32 AM
LOL! Tell me about it!:D The sad thing is though, my number is about 300-400 post too low. When they switched the board I lost a bunch!

dezhen2001
07-04-2002, 04:34 AM
**** - don't keep replying or i'll neva overtake ya :D U lost more - oh well - ur sadder than me :D

can u make it to the chatroom? theres a couple of us in there now...

http://www.kungfuonline.com/chat.html

david

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2002, 04:37 AM
I'm on my way!

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2002, 04:38 AM
WTF!? I can't type anything there?!:confused: Or read anything if there is anything posted. I just get a blank screen with a useless cursor.:mad:

It says 'warning: Applet window' at the bottom. WTF does that mean?

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2002, 04:42 AM
Sorry! I can't write anything!

dezhen2001
07-04-2002, 05:05 AM
d@mn - 3 more posts :D
You can't close the browser window that comes up and asks you to enter your name. Otherwise it screws up the java script based chatroom :)

david

omegapoint
07-05-2002, 05:09 PM
I brought a lamp into the dark cave, but everyone was wearing sunglasses anyway!

Obviously I like to stir stuff up! I like to p i s S Tai Chi, BJJ, MMAs, Judo, Karate, TKD, and Chuan Fa/Kenpo guys off! No one is exempt from criticism for their stupidity and linear site!

I also like to praise cats that got their isht together like MP and Ryu. I don't jock no man, but I give Kung Lek and dudes like him props!

I love to see some fool say that traditional or cross-training is the answer. Guess what? It's both! I know because I've sparred and fought with both types of practitoners, and there are some MMAs guys who can fight and some TMAs guys who can squb. Period.

It is dependent upon the individual, but some styles are better at preparing you to fight to save your arse than others. Yes there is stylistic superiority depending upon what you are training for!

Most of all, I post here b/c I love the MAs and always have. All modern arts are the offspring of the Egyptian>Greek>Persian>Indian and finally Chinese progenitor(s). China is where Asian combatives came together, and eventually spread to Okinawa, Philippines, Indonesia, Japan, Korea and now the West, specifically the USA and Europe. We are all brothers and sisters, but some on here are still prejudiced! Oh well they don't know any better, so it's not their fault.

So, I have just as much right as anybody to post on a Kung Fu forum. My MAs training is very, very hard work and of Chinese origin. So here I am... Pax, WARRIORS!

HopGar
07-06-2002, 10:28 PM
I was trying to get some information on my style of kung fu at first, then I got sucked in by the whole rolls/ ralek thing and have been here since, I lost all of my posts when KFO switched servers.

Mr Punch
07-07-2002, 07:29 AM
I started as a lurker to find out more about other ma and more about my own.

I stayed because I liked the banter from all those Texan rednecks and the likes of Sharky (wherever the hell he is).

Now I just like talking nonsense with a bunch of dysfunctional morons (like I don't talk to myself enough!!).

NorthernMantis
07-07-2002, 09:03 AM
I was lurking around for about a year but I got sucked in because of two flame wars.

The first was the tkd man era where this tkd guy was claiming he could beat up a mantis practitioner. lol man that must have been one of the funniest threads on kfo ever when I think about it. It would go something like this:

tkdman: Yeah well, if he does [insert technique here] I'll just do a swift hook kick.

someguy: Well if you do one of those once around the world, take my time to get a cup of tea type of kicks I'll just kick his supporting leg

tdkman:Yeah well if you do that I'll do an axe kick

someguy:If you do that I'll punch your groin or break your leg

tkd: How is he going to break my leg? By practicing on your dummies? Go ahead bang away!

lol omg I can't believe I remembered that.:D It's like back in late '99

The second one was the one that made SifuAbel the bad guy on the forum and the funny part it was started by another guy. What happened was that some guy named Blackstun who claimed he knew monkey kungfu said that he tried bjj and beat other bjj guys using his monkey techniqes and that they were similar to bjj. People started ragging on monkey kung fu and since SifuAbel knew monkey kung fu he started defending it. It all went downill from there as Blacktsun mysteriously dissapeared and left SifuAbel pitted againts Neal ******* and others.

Man those were the days.

*******= C a m e r o n

NorthernMantis
07-07-2002, 09:10 AM
lol Neal is so bad that even his name has to be censored.:D