PDA

View Full Version : pot or not?

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2002, 04:12 AM
ok first off im pretty drunk. i qut drinking for a long time, but i ended up missing it too much.

the weed threads are always fairly entertaining, so i figured id start one with a new twist.

this is mainly for all of those who treat people who smoke pot like people who do "druuuuggggzzzzz" caffine, nicotine, alchohol, and perscrpition drugs are in one catagory and pot sits over with heroin and extacy.

ok lets say i just got diagnosed with a treatable type of cancer. i knew i'd probably live, but still have to go through chemo. all im thinking at this point is how chemo is gona keep me from training and how week im gonna feel after its all said and done. all the sweat from the kwoon and my basement is discarded and forgotten because of fu cked up cells. it would also make me lose my hair, which isn't much in the total equasion, but still sucks cause i have had it long since first grade. that would probably get me down.

now having had smoked pot before i knew that it uplifted desperate moods, aleviated nausia, eased pain, and gave me a hell of an appetite. while chemo makes you feel low, puke up green sh it, hurt all over, and lose mad nutrients while also killing your appetite with constant nausia. now maybe pot makes you slow, dumb, and hungery (and paranoid), but i trust it more than i do vicoden or whatever pills or injections they would give me. i think its actually the perfect comfort drug for the cancer pacient. very few side effects and it addresses all discomforts.

if pot has a use in medicine why is there such a stigma attached to it?

how can you judge someone for smoking a plant with far less side effects than alchohol yet think its a person's rite to smoke or drink? through sicence it is proven that it is the lesser of other far more accepted evils amd through experience it can be proven that it has a medcinal value. it just pi sses me off that so many people insist on staying ignoant about the fact that pot wont kill you or anyone else. fu ck all of you who have never smoked pot yet continue to argue with me about what pot does to you. i don't remember what i was going to say next.

im gonna go to bed now.

kungfu cowboy
07-04-2002, 04:25 AM
Pot is sooo much less of a dangerous drug than alcohol. Sure, every drug has its possible dark side, but weed versus booze or almost anything else? No contest!

I REALLY find it hard to believe there is such a big stink (darn skunk!) about the sweet leaf!

Well, things will change when the generations of those who smoke the chronic get into power!

It will be CAPITOL HILL OF REEFER!! And the United States of Ipackedabowl!:p

Call your Congressman! If they can't pass a bill, maybe they can pass a bong!

Ish
07-04-2002, 04:46 AM
i couldn't agree with yas more, if only everyone tried it at least twice (once is never a fair test cos you always whitie) then half the people arguing to keep it illegal would shut the fu(K up. cant wait till its legal over here, only a few months till its decriminalised at least.

Budokan
07-04-2002, 06:18 AM
Pot or not? Not.

rogue
07-04-2002, 06:49 AM
You're mixing up using it as a medicine and the legalization of pot for recreational use. Two different subjects.

Mr Punch
07-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Either way, if you like it and you want it, or if you find it useful it should be your choice... whatever the reason really. Though I would say, if you can't hold down a useful purpose to yourself or someone else in society BECAUSE you smoke too much, then you're doing too much.

My choice is no thanks.

SSgungfu
07-04-2002, 09:54 AM
Nope, pot vs. alcohol and most other drugs, it can be fairly harmless.

As far as pot coming inbetween your training though, I can't say that is not true, because it is. I have smoked kindbud heavily the past year or so, and I can definetly feel a difference in motivation and other factors in training. I'm working on stopping, and if you want better focus in your kung fu, I would too.

BananaMan
07-04-2002, 10:21 AM
Y do you need this stuff again? oh, cause u have no motiviation or self-discipline, thats right. doing any type of drug or anything that u dont need is just admitting you're weak. and alcohol isnt bad. most people are just too weak to control their drinking. i've never done anytype of drugs and i drink wine 4x a week, but never been drunk in my life. say what u want, but i'm a stronger person (mentally, self-discipline) than you ever will be.

dont let ur ignorance and weakness control u

Hau Tien
07-04-2002, 11:09 AM
Stronger (mentally, etc) because you don't smoke pot, but drink wine?

Whoopie for you.

The "holier than thou" attitude is ridiculous. Especially since you've obviously no clue about this. Alcohol is far worse for you physically than pot, regardless of your opinion on the subject.

I agree... if you choose to do it, that's fine. But... doing too much will affect your motivation. Smoking pot will certainly not GIVE you motivation (As BananaMan here seems to think)... in fact it will take away (As anyone who has ever tried it would know).

Smoking it a couple times a week? I haven't noticed it affect my training in any way, shape, or form.

People who comment on things they have no clue about tend to tick me off.

(Oh yeah... as an aside... try talking in full sentences, BananaMan... talking like some IRC reject just makes you come across like a fourteen year old kid - no offence to any fourteen year olds ;) Take some pride in how you communicate, and perhaps people will take you more seriously.)

BananaMan
07-04-2002, 11:41 AM
touche!

just tell me why you smoke... i mean seriously. why?? i can't think of a reason why you need it at all. enlighten me mr. perfect

relaxed
07-04-2002, 11:49 AM
http://cyberkwoon.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=Downloads&file=index&req=getit&lid=8

:D

BananaMan
07-04-2002, 11:51 AM
link doesnt work for non members

ewallace
07-04-2002, 11:54 AM
That was an outstanding post.

I personally do not smoke. Okay okay, every once in a great while I will not pass on a spliff. I have no problem with those that do...moderately. But when you are getting high on the way to work, on lunch break, and on the way home, that's just overkill. Reminds me I called the cops on some dude getting ripped in his truck the other day. Sparked it up right next to me. I could care less about that really, but the dumb ass redneck cut me off and was really driving like a dickhead.

Anyway GDA, expecially when you start to go through chemo, if it makes you feel better, do it. I cannot stand those that do not allow terminally ill patients to use it. I know how this goes because when I had migranes they gave me every **** narcotic possible, and they all eventually failed or participated in damaging my liver.

guohuen
07-04-2002, 11:54 AM
"Everything in moderation. Know thyself."-Oracle of Adelphi

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2002, 12:08 PM
"You're mixing up using it as a medicine and the legalization of pot for recreational use. Two different subjects."

i guess i did kinda blend the two togeather. like i said i was pretty drunk. in fact i went and passed out immediately after ending the post.

what i meant is that people who drink and/or have never smoked pot have no right judging those who do. if you have never done it, i am the expert in this room. at least consider what i have to say instead of immediately building a wall around yourself with bricks of an opinion society gave you. in this day and age it should not be classified along side crack and cocain especially considering it does have medicinal value. the fact that it does have value and medicine yet is not legally perscribed in most states is a trophy to that ignorace and sheepish nature of our society.

"I'm working on stopping, and if you want better focus in your kung fu, I would too."

i actually don't do it more than once a week anymore. when i was drinking every day i would smoke it pretty often (if your drunk and it's there that's what happens), but since i stopped the constant drinking ill maybe smoke a little bit on saturday night before watching a movie. pot is easy for me to quit. to tell you the truth im not even a huge fan of it because half the time it makes me real paranoid for a while. drinking is another story.

however, during chemo how would i have the strength to train at all if i was never eating due to the constant nausia? i agree with you that you're better of not smoking it if you aren't sick, but right now i think my kung fu will actually be better off for it. again the two subjects of recreational and medicinal use are kinda meshing togeather, but im in a situation where ill be using it medicinally and having a discussion about the stigma society has stamped on it. and i'm kina hung over.

" say what u want, but i'm a stronger person (mentally, self-discipline) than you ever will be. "

see the next to last sentence in the next to last paragraph of my initial post. you have already been addressed.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2002, 12:17 PM
if anyone has a hard time following what im getting at reffer to hau tien's post. that's exactly what i'm trying to say.

ewallace, i agree with you 100% about those that do it periodically through out the day. at that point it is a major weakness. i still think those types are better off than alchoholics, but being the lesser of the two evils doesn't mean it's ok. i also agree with taking vengence on those who deserve it. he shouldn't have cut you off.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2002, 01:06 PM
why do it at all?

it enhances social situations kinda like alchohol does but without the drawbacks of complete loss of inhibition and overzealous aggresion. it makes movies funnier, food taste better, conversations more interesting, and makes video games 10 times more fun. its also not bad to do once in a while if you are an extremely uptight person as it will relax pretty much any severe mood. im not advocating the use of pot to calm you down every single time you get pi ssed, but if you have had a bad day why not let yourself have a beer or smoke a little? sure i could just remain pi ssed off and feel stronger than others mentally, but what the hell am i trying to prove? if it's fun and fairly harmless why not?

obviously it's not good for you but the side effects are really not that bad. while smoking some people will get a little paranoid while most just get slow, dumb, and hungery. long term side effects of abusing it are short term memory loss, slightly slurred speach, loss of motivation to do anything if not high and never anythign worth while, and sloth in general. it also makes some people more passive until they quit it for a while. that could be either good or bad depending on the person. it's also not good for your lungs but as far as i know they have yet to be able to link it directly to any cancer like they have with cigerettes.

why drink wine at all?

and why the hell are you drinking wine? why not just grab a beer like a real man? puss.

African Tiger
07-04-2002, 01:33 PM
that weed affects MY training. Ask Wen aka Wushu Chik how stoned I was chatting with her on the KFO board last night.

I trained for 1.5 hours this morning without stopping, although I will cop to a slight loss of cardiovascular stamina.

Perhaps I need to feed my need for weed with brownies instead?

African Tiger
07-04-2002, 01:34 PM
And what on earth is wrong with wine, GDA?

Yours truly can still bench 275 and Leg Press about 900, and I love wine. You callin me a puss? :p

relaxed
07-04-2002, 01:37 PM
Sorry about the other link.....

Try this one instead, not a comment, its just funny!
:)

http://www.edaten.com/HTMLobj-1217/karate_l.mpe

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2002, 02:10 PM
"You callin me a puss?"

no. you scare me.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-04-2002, 02:11 PM
seriously though .. . nothin wrong with wine . .. was just given the other dude hell cause of his first post.

i still wouldnt call it manly though.

Hau Tien
07-04-2002, 03:49 PM
Why do I smoke? Pure recreation, I'm afraid.

I made no claims to be perfect, so why you'd go with "Mr.Perfect" is beyond me. I just don't like to see someone yap about something they have no clue about, and act all righteous about it.

What was said about moderation is true. About wine and pot both. It's when people take things to excess that problems begin.

Oh... African Tiger... I was referring to people who smoke like twice a day, every day... that's when it affects motivation a lot. I know this from experience. Last college term I was smoking twice a day and found I was becoming quite sloth. I kept training, but definitely wasn't giving it my all. Since I cut back to every once in a while (maybe on weekends), my motivation has returned completely, and I've noticed no ill effects.

When I stopped smoking pot for a while I was worried about withdrawl like when I quit smoking tobacco completely. There was absolutely no withdrawl at all, though. I believe (and this is backed up by research of cannibis through many sources... check erowid.com for a good one) that any addiction to pot is psychological...

Anyway... I've spoken enough on this subject... In my opinion, weed should be legal (and may well be here soon... the gov't has assigned a task force to seen about legalization, and if not that, then decriminalization). Whether it will be legal or not is a moot point since people will smoke it whether it's legal or not. :) I say do it with moderation and it won't hurt your kung fu.

Kay k
07-05-2002, 04:30 AM
hmmm....it's good to know that most of you are so open minded. everything in moderation i say! :) X

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 04:51 AM
Personally, been there done that and now choose not.

(As an aside and I apologise- I know this is insensitive GDA, but there was a report out a while ago that said that there was evidence that smoking weed was even more Carcinogenic than tobacco. :()

jpcm

KC Elbows
07-05-2002, 11:08 AM
"just tell me why you smoke... i mean seriously. why?? i can't think of a reason why you need it at all. enlighten me mr. perfect"

Why do you need martial arts? If you do, why don't you just move to a better neighborhood? Enlighten me, Perfect Banana.

My point being, life is filled with hundreds of things we don't, on the surface, need. Some good, some bad.

In my experience, those who don't experience and take part in good and bad things have the character of oatmeal. Now, those who dwell forever on the bad have problems, but to avoid them completely in life isn't necessarily a good thing.

For instance, why watch a movie? Why read a fiction book? Why play a game? Why enjoy forms? Why eat desert? Why have sex with hot women with mental problems? Now that I've brought it up, if you are so thoroughly against anything except what you need, why do you need this forum?

My experiences with pot:

Pot is good for:
-Coming up with ideas, though you'll have to write them all down, and 90% of them will be trash, but every once in a while you'll get one that is out of left field and very good.

-Recreation, in moderation.

-Naseau(and banana, he already stated it was good for this, so your question above is pretty obtuse)

Pot is bad for:
-Actually developing the ideas you had when you were on pot, as pot is not good for organizing.

-Breathing, unless you ingest it.

-Diets.

-Budokan, as he can never get to his D&D game on time when on it.:p

This is by no means a comprehensive list.

As a final note, strength comes in many forms. While banana may have the mental strength to avoid excess, he apparently doesn't have the mental strength to approach others without making snap judgements and coming off as arrogant, but that should come with experience, and the experience that comes with doing bad things.:p

TjD
07-05-2002, 11:27 AM
when was the last time you heard of a guy getting high off the reefer and hitting his wife, or abusing his kids?

while ive never smoked it myself, i always would choose to hang out with a bunch of pot smokers than a bunch of drunkards

greendragon
07-05-2002, 11:58 AM
I say legalize it. then kids won't get a thrill from rebellious behavior. criminals will no longer profit from it. lives won't be ruined by getting arrested on a victimless crime. prisons won't be so crowded. etc. someone once said "pot makes people crazy, not the ones smoking it, everyone else!" really, it's no big deal, a weed that opens the doors of perception, just nice. that thing about motivation can be turned around, if you don't feel like training have a few tokes and you may really get into it. BTW i don't smoke (used to) but i am surprised by how many do. Legalize it and maybe I'll take it up again.

BananaMan
07-05-2002, 12:44 PM
bah, u guys are right, just legalize it. they should hand out some ridelin, cocaine, steroids and whiskey too with it! pass the pipe

better yet, dont legalize it... i need the money

greendragon
07-05-2002, 01:49 PM
BananaMan, that's exactly what we are objecting to... lumping it together with those other drugs of a totally different nature.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-05-2002, 02:05 PM
"As an aside and I apologise- I know this is insensitive GDA"

LMAO!!! i should be the very last person anyone should worry about being insensitive towards. if you go through and read any of my posts at random more than likely it's going to involve something graphically offencive. don't worry about it dude . ..there's no reason for people to be all pc . . .im a cancer bi tch plain and simple.

good post kc.

ewallace
07-05-2002, 06:24 PM
shut the fuc k up GDA you long-haired dirty pot-smoking hippy. I bet you would rape moldy swiss cheese if your sorry excuse for a ****** could fit in any of the holes. I've seen 85 year old women with osteoporosis and irritable bowel syndrome that have more muscle definition than you. Hell you probably drink your bong water after you smoke so you can save money on your water bill.

Of course I don't mean to get personal GDA. I know your the "delicate type".

:)

yu shan
07-05-2002, 10:20 PM
partake of the herbaceous :)

anton
07-05-2002, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Helicopter
Personally, been there done that and now choose not.

(As an aside and I apologise- I know this is insensitive GDA, but there was a report out a while ago that said that there was evidence that smoking weed was even more Carcinogenic than tobacco. :()

jpcm

yeah I heard that one joint is equivalent to 10 cigarettes (in terms of the bad stuff in em).

But apparently the carbon monoxide and possibly the tar intake can be averted by using a vapouriser (which is probably a feasible option for medicinal marijuana use). Also it apparently gives you a better high.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-06-2002, 12:31 AM
"yeah I heard that one joint is equivalent to 10 cigarettes (in terms of the bad stuff in em). "

ok even if that's true, my point has always been that most people dont smoke a joint all by themselves. i'd say the avarge is four people on a joint. that would make a joint as bad as 2 and a half cigerettes per person. if they smoked a bowl it would be even less.

now i probably smoke that much on an avarage of two times per week. that's 5 cancer sticks a week.

i also smoke about a pack a day. that's 140 cancer sticks per week.

which should i quit if only one?

now lets take a person who smokes 4 times that much pot daily (4 joints per day with 4 people) but no cigerettes. that's still only 70 cancer sticks a week. yes i know people who smoke more pot than that but only a couple.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-06-2002, 02:43 PM
ewallace ... i aint no god da mn hippy.

ewallace
07-06-2002, 04:54 PM
Out of all that the only thing that got to you was being called a hippie. That's splendid. Super. Smashing.

anton
07-06-2002, 11:57 PM
I don't want to come across like I'm condemning marijuana use... Apart from the effect on your lungs, it definitely haa more socially desirable effects (or rather less undesirable effects) than alcohol.

BTW: has anyone seen this: www.grasscity.com

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-07-2002, 12:10 AM
did you mean condeming or condoning?

anton
07-07-2002, 09:02 PM
Yeah I meant condemning. The thing about a joint being equivalent to 10 cigarettes wasn't meant as an argument for or against marijuana use. It just seemed relevant since someone mentioned the negative health effects of marijuana - However my view remains, its your health, you have a democratic right to **** it up however you want to.

I'm all for its legalisation. I see it as one of the safest drugs around (apart from caffeine). I've never heard of anyone getting into fights or brutalising their wife/children because they were stoned. And the experience of certain European countries suggests that legalising marijuana (subject to certain regulations of course) helps to stop kids taking up heroin and other more serious drugs.

SifuAbel
07-08-2002, 02:22 AM
If you all have been paying attention to the anti-smoking ads lately, you have noticed that the chemical count in cigarettes is far and above that which comes out of your car exhaust. Pot doesn't even come close. (this rant is more about anti-cigarettes than pro pot) This gargantuan lie comes straight from the tobacco people that also recently told congressmen with a straight face that nicotene wasn't addictive. Spiking yourself in the lungs with a rusty nail would be a cleaner death. And, without the literally 700 additives that cigarettes contain(including arsenic and benzene), the tobacco leaf itself is higher in tar and other carcinogens that pot buds. You don't smoke pot leaves. (unless you are REALLY desperate) :D

Tobacco is government sanctioned suicide. It will never be outlawed because it keeps the population down better than any other substance including its #2 rival alcohol. Too much money is made on the backs of the poor fools that pay more and more for their fix. The gov makes a killing. The tobacco people make a killing. The medical industry makes a killing. And all you get is killed. In fact it kills more than all illegal drugs combined.

I can't think of a slower and more horrible fate than having your lungs eaten out slowly from the inside until you drown in your own tissue. Fighting for every last breath until the final moment when epoxia overwhelms you , unlike drowning in water that causes a euphoria, you burn from within from lack of oxygen. You might as well have been set on fire. Nice thought ey?

Repulsive Monkey
07-08-2002, 06:16 AM
with the statement that "Pot is sooo much less harmful than alcohol" when it plainly is not!! Pot weakens the Kidney functions more than alcohol does. Alcohol weakens the Kidney tissue and within 24-36 hours its out of the system, hash can stay in ytour system up to 3 weeks. Pot also directs has adverse effects on most endocrine organs by setting them out of balance. As far as Qi is concerned Pot mostly does more damage to the body than alcohol does.
However before anyone flares up its all done to several other factors too, mostly on capacity and frequency on usage. I have been a big time user of both and other drugs in the past and as much as I enjoyed Hash at the time I relasied that it was the worst drug for internal work. Alcohol in small amounts has a beneficial effect upon the body and for people with Yang Xu conditions it can be a very effective medicine. Hash has no curative elements its merely a palliative effect and in its self cures nothing.

However as ever with these conversations, each to his/her own.

guohuen
07-08-2002, 08:20 AM
Twelve weeks. Believe me. I have to pee in a little cup every Tuesday morning at 9:00am. Courtesy of my state government. Sure am glad I live in the land of the free and the home of the brave. And to further the rant, I just ignore the shrapnel in my left lung, leg and hand because the VA treats me like a freeloader when I've been there for therapy or surgery. Haven't been back since '82.

fa_jing
07-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Apparently they don't smoke much weed in WV. Because all of the people I've known to smoke alot smoke at least 2-4 joints a day, my one buddy smokes 7-8 bones a day and runs 5 miles all the time. No, it's not good for your lungs, but I find it much less damaging to my system than cigarettes, which I gave up long ago for my Kung Fu. Still, like I wrote a long time ago it's better to shell out for the quality and smoke less. I was getting hydro recently and smoking out of a nice glass-blown waterpipe, although I've switched back to regular for a while so I can smoke bones in the hot weather.

So do those vaporizer things really work? How is the experience, anyone try these?

-FJ

BAI HE
07-09-2002, 05:08 AM
"Tobacco is government sanctioned suicide. It will never be outlawed because it keeps the population down better than any other substance including its #2 rival alcohol. Too much money is made on the backs of the poor fools that pay more and more for their fix. The gov makes a killing. The tobacco people make a killing. The medical industry makes a killing. And all you get is killed. In fact it kills more than all illegal drugs combined. "

No doubt.
The fact that the contents of cigarettes are for the most
part completely unregulated by the FDA is extremely scary.

Russian Roulette anyone?

Spark
07-09-2002, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
with the statement that "Pot is sooo much less harmful than alcohol" when it plainly is not!! Pot weakens the Kidney functions more than alcohol does. Alcohol weakens the Kidney tissue and within 24-36 hours its out of the system, hash can stay in ytour system up to 3 weeks. Pot also directs has adverse effects on most endocrine organs by setting them out of balance. As far as Qi is concerned Pot mostly does more damage to the body than alcohol does.

However as ever with these conversations, each to his/her own.

Hey RM - Where did you get that information from?

Thnx.

PS. BAI HE - if you want to read up on the whole cigarette issue, I recommend a book called 'Cigarette Confidential'. Check it out.

Repulsive Monkey
07-10-2002, 08:56 AM
I think the western stuff came from a figures and advice document from the National Drugs Advisory Council. Some of it came from Chinese Medicine textbooks too Maciocia I guess. But hash has an effect upon the endocrine glands more noticeably than alcohol does. Hash is more carcinogenic than cigarettes, however people smoke more tobacco than weed usually. Plus pain masking aside, Hash does not do anything that positive to the body, and it certainly does stunt internal development.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-10-2002, 01:39 PM
"Plus pain masking aside, Hash does not do anything that positive to the body"

nuhuh . .. it gets you high too.

anton
07-11-2002, 05:40 AM
if the issue is the decriminalisation/legalisation of weed, the most relevant effects to be considered would seem to be social. And there I think marijuana wins over alcohol.

Repulsive Monkey
07-11-2002, 09:20 AM
they are primarily being based at this point in time (well at least in the UK)on health grounds, and its being rushed through a little too quickly as Blunkett one our ministers is going to declassify Hash down from grade b to grade c. This means that literally no one will be arrested for it. But from a health point of view I think some things are being overlooked.

Yes by the way the comment about one of the effects of it is that it gets you stoned? Well trust a stoner to take his time to come up with that gem!! No malice intended just a wiffy touch of irony.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-11-2002, 12:22 PM
it took time because i have better things to do than sit on kfo all day every day. i gotta go get high and stuff.

Dedication
07-11-2002, 07:50 PM
eh, im 16 i smoke ganja everyonce in a while but it doesnt do crap to my health. I run 5 miles a day and workout ALOT. Why do i do it you ask? People need to relax and weed makes fora great relaxation.

Serpent
07-11-2002, 08:20 PM
Why do I watch Friends on tv?

Well, to be honest, I know that too much tv isn't good for me. You know, it makes me sedentary, but I still train heaps. It can affect my vision, but so can watching anything. In very rare cases it can even trigger an epileptic fit. But really, do I need an excuse?

I mean, it's fun, that's why I watch it. It doesn't hurt anybody else, so why should they get all uppity about it? They don't have to watch it if they don't want to.

Some aspects of this discussion are just absurd. Do what you wanna, just don't hurt others while you do it.

barryc108
07-11-2002, 09:54 PM
The only reason america originally made ganja illegal was because it wanted to control the activities of the mexican workers......
here in australia it has at least been decriminalized.

Serpent
07-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Actually, in America it was made illegal by the corporate arseholes that wanted nylon to become the new super material of the fifties. Hemp was their biggest competitor.

In Australia it's not decriminalised in all states.