PDA

View Full Version : Sil Lum Tung Gar Style

Troy Dunwood
07-15-2001, 01:45 AM
The Tung Gar system of Chinese Marial Arts belongs to the authentic teachings of Sil Lum Kung Fu. The creator and formulator of this school was the legendary Tung Chin Chin. Tung himself a direct disciple of Monk Gee Sin. Tung was perhaps best known for his chivalry, strong will as well as his keen understanding of Monk Gee Sin's teaching. Another outstanding feature of Tung Chin Chin was that he was born of Manchurian parents who were killed when he was young due to their opposition to the Manchu regime. Tung would be later adopted by Monk Gee Sin and taught the Lohan series of Sil Lum along with the "Hak Fu Gwun" or Black Tiger Staff. Tung Gar boxing requires maximum efforts from its learners, learning and absorbing each indiviual movement with a thorough comprehension is the key to mastering this school of martial arts. Tung Gar style teaches: hand and weapon forms, sparring sets, wooden dummy and a very rare Lohan Chi Gung Form. As a fighting system it is second to none with strong continuous upper body skills aided by its solid stance and lively footwork. Although a lesser known system in comparison to its counterparts as: Hung, Lau, Choy, Lee and Mok,
it is common knowledge among most traditional kung fu scholars that Tung Chin Chin's participation to the cause of that time period is no less favorable than the likes of Hung Hei Gwun
and Fong Sai Yuk, two of the most reknown in Sil Lum Temple history. What we must all come to recognized is, during those days the boxers of Sil Lum were treated as brothers connected to a root in this case that would be Sil Lum and Gee Sin, I only think why can't it be like that today?

namkuen
07-16-2001, 09:35 AM
Dunwood sifu, Hello! It's good to see you on the message board.

I'm really interested in Tung Gar. Tung Chin Chin along with Hu Wei Chin is one of my favorite rebel heros! Do you teach Tung Gar? I'd love to see it for myself!

Peace!!!

DWR

One who conquers others is strong, but one who conquers himself is mighty! Lao Tzu

Troy Dunwood
07-19-2001, 08:30 PM
Hello, my friend, i've been a student of Tung Gar since 1969, learning from my first teacher Master Yuan Chan, the boxing series consist of small bridge, large bridge, lohan fist and palm, lohan chi gung and lohan boxing. It was passed on that Tung Chin Chin, had a small following of devoted students after his leave from Shaolin but as critical as those times were back in those days the Tung Clan fighters were not as tight knitted as they wished to be and for obvious reason may I add. However the style has survived and our Grand Master is alive in Taiwan although not teaching, has relieved himself from those duties and has in turn turned all teaching over to my Uncle Master Chan Chau, who teaches a small group there, where I will be visiting early next year, for added footage for the video soon to come out on Tung Boxing. Also I will be paying a visit to Mr. Eugene Li who was resposible for introducing me to my Sifu Lau Yee Chan who now works as a Professor at the University of Taipei.

namkuen
07-20-2001, 04:09 AM
Troy, Thanks alot!! I'll be in touch with you for further information!

Peace!!!

DWR

One who conquers others is strong, but one who conquers himself is mighty! Lao Tzu