PDA

View Full Version : Going on a Diet

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 03:23 AM
This is a serious question.

If I reduce my intake of carbohydrates and sugars will I reduce my fat percentage?
I forever hear from people that diets don't work without an increase in exercise, is this true for all circumstances?

I'll explain my circumstances, I do one intense (read killer) kung fu session a week -lots of forms and sparring, press-ups etc. Other than that I do probably 2 or 3 low intensity (break a sweat) 1/2 hour sessions, mostly forms practice, during the rest of the week.

Last time I had it measured my fat was 20%, but think I've put a bit more on since. Currently I'm eating what I like, I'm a bit of a foody so I cook mostly from fresh ingredients, I eat pasta or rice or potato every night, and usually put too much on my plate (and eat it :) ) And during the day I probably have a donut, flap jack or similar and several cups of sugary tea or coffee.

I have done strict eating programmes with exercise before and they don't last, plus I end up thinking about food all f*cking day!

My goals are limited and I'm not looking to increase the time I'm exercising during the week, I'd just like to look a little less fat in front of the mirror, but don't care enough to do too much about it.

So repeating the question: If I reduce my intake of carbohydrates and sugars will there be any discernable effect?

I have followed many threads and can see there are some v. knowledgable people here, but most posts are by people who want to be ripped, bulked-up, powerful etc so I haven't been able to find an answer. (I don't want lose those small pleasures for nothing you know! :D )

Any answer would be appreciated (even if it's "get off your fat arse you lazy f*cker!!")

Jpcm

Kungfu boy
07-05-2002, 03:41 AM
Start small, no need to jump into a big diet. There more you limit off the top, the less likely you'll stick with it. This is what I do, I'm cutting down on the soft drinks and candy or basic sugars. If you cut out alot of sugar, this will have a good effect. Now here's the kicker, does that mean I don't eat sugar? No! I still eat ice cream occassionally, but it's not enough to bog me down in my diet. If you eat less junk food and drink more water instead of soft drinks the fat will melt away faster. Not to say this is a miracle diet, but I am seeing results. And I may cut down on other things later on, maybe a few months down the road. But stopping everything all at once is more then likely gonna cause cravings etc. And hence you binge off the diet.

My teacher wanted to drop a weight class for the next BJJ Pan Ams in Flordia and he did. He only did three things:

1. stopped drinking soft drinks
2. Less junk food
3. stopped going back for seconds at dinner

He dropped like 18lbs. I think

As for the amount you work out, the more intense the cardio workout, the more fat you burn. So I guess either pick a day that instead of forms you run or do sprints. Or you'll have to add time to your work outs. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but its the best advice I can give.

Oh and get off your lazy arse!!!!!!

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 03:50 AM
Thanks KB,

Softly, softly catchee monkee. :)

oh and running!!! ....ertcht!!...pphtui!! :D

jpcm

lotusleaf
07-05-2002, 06:45 AM
I've recently started a diet as well and I was looking at The Zone diet (www.thezone.com). I've decided to base my diet according to them. Basically, lower your carb and sugar intake. Increase fruits and veggies. Meat you have to portion yourself. You dont want to be taking excess protein especially if you don't weightlift a lot like me. I think the key is to eat less more often per day and portion your food. If you feel like midnight snacks go for it as long as it doesn't contain too much sugar or carb. I tend to lean towards fruits since they provide sugar, and nutrients at the same time.

guohuen
07-05-2002, 08:05 AM
Whatever diet you choose definetly do it with an exercise program.

Cody
07-05-2002, 08:53 AM
I heartily suggest the Men's Health Belly Off diet. It works, and you won't feel like you're starving (cause you won't be). It is also an effective way to change "outmoded" eating patterns. It can be used in conjunction with their exercise plan as well, but you don't have to include that. In fact, there is quite a bit of data that you don't need to enter. The bare bones (lol) is current weight, goal weight, exercise level. Food preferences and a couple of measurements are a good idea.
http://www.menshealth.com

As an aside, there is also a plan for women.

Cody

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 10:41 AM
Thanks Cody some interesting and balanced stuff there, but after reading that I guess what the questions boils down to is:

Is there always an associated loss of muscle mass if you reduce your food intake (sugars or otherwise) without increasing the amout of exercise you do?

jpcm

Cody
07-05-2002, 11:45 AM
I wouldn't think so, not unless you were not appropriately nourished for the exercise regimen you followed.

That is why this diet has different menus for different activity levels. For a person who doesn't exercise at all, I might be concerned if a diet was too strict and unbalanced. But loss of muscle tone and some wasting can happen normally, with seriously deficient activity. I don't know that much about these things. Thing is to match the diet to your activity level, not have them work against each other. You don't necessarily have to increase the amount of working out if what you are doing is adequate for your needs.

You'll lose fat, and you'll lose cravings. (I had become a sugar junkie.) And, you won't feel deprived. I think you're thinking about food all the time cause you're sugar intake is probably mucking up the works, and you won't realize it till you reduce it. I still have some sugar, but not nearly as much.

I think one could build healthy muscle at the same time. Now, I'm not talking about the body building sort of thing. That's on a different scale.

There are plenty of substitutes on menus to give variety and to suit the food mood of the day. Measuring out portions will help to control for putting too much on the plate.

They give a free trial. Give it a whirl. I found out about this diet plan from a friend.

Cody

Merryprankster
07-05-2002, 11:49 AM
There is not necessarily a loss in muscle mass, but there sure can be. People have a tendency to skimp on protein requirements during a diet, and consequently the body cannibalizes muscle tissue for protein.

Based on your description of your diet, you're eating FAR too much refined sugar. Skip sodas, juices and sugary coffee/tea, and replace it with water. If you really hate water, try some of the non-caloric flavored varieties.

Here's a quick lesson.

Carbs have roughly 4 calories per gram of actual carb. There are 28 grams, roughly, in one ounce.

If you eliminate one ounce of sugar per day, you can save 112 calories in a 24 hour period, and almost 800 a week.

I'm willing to bet, based on what you've written, that you take in FAR more than one ounce of refined sugar.

take a look at a soda bottles calorie content and think about the difference between drinking the soda or a sam size container of water...

I'm not a sugar or fat hater either... I'm just pretty experienced with the weight thing. I lost about 8 lbs in the last 2 weeks in prep for a tournament and I feel fine. More fruits, more veggies, lower fat protein options, lots of water. Smaller, more frequent meals. Simple.

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 01:27 PM
Thanks guys,
Some useful info, I'll give the sugars a miss and see what happens, I'm more than happy drinking water and I know I should drink more.

TigerJaw
07-07-2002, 07:23 AM
It does sound to me like you might be a sugar addict. A lot of people are including most people who call themselves 'Chocaholics'. The big problem with sugar addiction, apart from the increased chance of type II diabetes is it screws with you parasympathetic nervous system, preventing you from being able to 'fell' what you need to eat. Non sugar addicts can tell if they're deficient on carb, protein or fat because they start to crave it and the diet tends to balance itself. Sugar addicts loose this sence and as a result, their diet becomes unbalanced.

Try cutting out as much refined sugar as you can for a few weeks. Obviously, a glass of OJ after your heavy work-outs won't hurt but lay off the donuts. If you find that your tastes change, then you were a sugar addict.

Just thought I'd offer a different perspective, not that any of the above posts aren't perfectly good advice.

Phill

Cody
07-07-2002, 08:50 AM
Thanks for giving a coherent description of what happened to me. My diet lost all reason. Most of that was due to stress and other environmental factors.

I went from a high protein, medium fat, normal sugar routine to something off the walls in sugar. This happened over time, and, while I did gain some weight, I couldn't be called overweight. Though, in terms of how I felt, I was. Reached point where I couldn't lose even a pound for more than a day without bouncing it up and beyond to a set-point that wouldn't budge. Was eating a little real food as an excuse to go on to desert. I was "crashing" at certain times of day and lost interest in what had been my normal dietary preferences. In fact, I did lose 5 pounds when I cut back on "food" and substituted high sugar/high carbs. I guess, what saved me is that I don't binge. But, as would be expected, weight loss stopped and I felt blah with the last important 3-4 pounds to go.

A couple of friends went on this diet. I've never been on a weight-loss diet in my life. I looked at it. Intrigued. Am back to having a normal set-point weight pattern. I'm not craving sweets. I can have a cookie after my lunch, and I'm fine. And, I'm liking my food again. I lost a pound, and could lose faster, but, for me it's not so much about losing weight now as it is about eating well again and maintaining a healthy and comfortable weight for me. So, if I want more than the allotted protein for the day, I have it. Yes!

Cody