PDA

View Full Version : doing your forms lefty

jun_erh
07-05-2002, 05:08 AM
I tried doing some of Lau Gar leading with the left. Wow, what a disaster. I looked like a total idiot, i jut hope no one saw me. In skateboarding, the big thing is switch-stance, or being able to ridee goofy foot as well as regular. I guess unless you're genuinly ambidexterous it's not too important for fighting. sort of fun nonetheless

dezhen2001
07-05-2002, 05:18 AM
i would ay it's pretty imporant for fighting, but depends on your system... wc tries to stay balanced so we should be able to use both sides as well :)

david

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 05:19 AM
We try to train both sides with all techniques, but I know what you mean. In our Lau gar (Hung Ga version) the first 10 or so moves of the first form are repeated exactly in the 8' Lau Ga stick.

The next move however is repeated on the opposite side and every time I do the stick form I have to stop for 3 seconds whilst I figure out which way I'm going.:(

Jpcm

Hau Tien
07-05-2002, 05:20 AM
We don't practice our forms with the opposite side in class, but our Sifu encourages us to try them that way outside of class.

The only exception I can think of so far is the LHBF form. We practice that both sides on occasion.

dezhen2001
07-05-2002, 05:22 AM
our forms cover both sides pretty much the same anyway, so no need ot do it any different :p

david

Souljah
07-05-2002, 05:46 AM
For every form I learn I try my best to do it both ways, I find this helps as i do not develop certain moves which I am exceedingly better at one way than the other

shaolinboxer
07-05-2002, 07:01 AM
Aikido (Jodo) has forms called "Taiso" that include identical movements (mirrored) with both leads. In normal practice taking both leads (one after the other) is taught.

However, cutting forms for bokken (wooden sword) favors a right hand lead (the rear hand, the left, is the true cutting hand, and the right is the guide).

KC Elbows
07-05-2002, 08:16 AM
I practice all forms both sides, even forms that do both sides. The reason is that, if a form does one section right side, then the same section left side, then transitions to another section entirely, sure you did the section both sides, but you only did the transition one side.

In fact, I asked my teacher if he ever made any forms off of our main form, and he said he had made small forms to work specific things within the form, and encouraged me to give it a try, and he'd let me know what he thought of it, and what needed work. He also said to throw everything in both sides, and I explained to him my belief that such forms only train the transition on one side. He said that my thinking was sound, and that one sided forms were fine as long as you practice the other side.

Of course, I've only come up with two steps for my little form. I totally respect the individuals who came up with all these complex forms, it is amazing work. What I've got is like a little drill, and I keep finding problems with the way I'm setting it up. Originally, the two people practicing it would bow, then step in on the offensive with identical attacks that involve some deflection on stepping in. I showed my notes to my teacher, and he laughed. He told me that if two fighters came in and did that move, and both did it right, then the one with better peng would hit the other very hard in the face and dan tien. If no one hit, as per my form, then both did the step wrong.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-05-2002, 08:36 AM
we don't do much in the way of forms, but i was taught that you should eventually feel absolutely no difference between your right and left side. even if there will always be a little differance it's still better to aim for the bullseye.

shaolinboxer
07-05-2002, 09:11 AM
For my striking weapons, I can switch southpaw or orthodox, but I have a different set of combos and preferred techniques that recongnize my strengths.

It's like being two different fighters.

KC Elbows
07-05-2002, 09:45 AM
I find the same thing, shaolinboxer. What's funny is I tend to sweep alot from my left leg, but everyone always is guarding against a sweep when I'm in position to sweep with my right, which I don't do very often.

HuangKaiVun
07-05-2002, 02:25 PM
I deliberately built both sides into my style.

Even weapons I'll do both sides on. I can fight using a staff using either side forward because I trained it in my sets.

However, one side will ALWAYS be stronger than the other depending on the technique. That doesn't mean it will be less effective though. And the neat thing is sometimes it's the "OTHER" side that becomes stronger than the natural one!

As long as I don't have to switch myself to my strong side to get stuff done, I am satisfied with my preparation.

Gabriel
07-05-2002, 02:40 PM
My left sux :(

That is all.

:D

walkthecircle
07-05-2002, 02:52 PM
Forms are just links of techniques to be practiced 1000s of times until it becomes reflexive. and thought about on many levels until you understand every application of defense and offence built in.

Each technique should be done left and right side. Until it's habbit.

Then move on to the next move.

if you are the typical US kung fu student... you practice an entire form then move on to the next form....you are not truly learning your style. Just empty moves like a dance.

Until you naturally react like your form you have not learned it.

This is why kung fu is so screwed up in US.

this is why kung fu has turned into simple kick boxing because no one spends the time to make it reflexive.

It's become a forms collection zone. A contest of who can do the forms more "pretty" or appear more deadly or be the fastest of wear the craziest costume.

It may take you a year to learn a short form.... And several years to get fundamental stance work / alignment correct.

BrentCarey
07-08-2002, 01:15 PM
I don't see how one could be very effective in kung fu without training both sides. You may be lightning fast with a technique that defends and counters against a right hand strike. Would you have to learn a different technique to defend against a left hand strike?

Peace,

Brent Carey