PDA

View Full Version : Bad Posture...Can Anything Be Done

Sleemie
07-05-2002, 10:05 AM
I've got kind of bad posture...part of it is my doing of course, but I think part of it is genetic. I noticed that I've got that curvy type thing towards the top of my spine right around where it connects to my neck...you know how you see some old people and it's almost like a hump back there and their head tends to lean down and forward. My mother has that really bad and she's only in her mid 60s. I say only cuz I don't see other people her age with the same problem. Anywho, I was wondering if sitting in the Iron Bridge everyday for a little while might force things to straighten out a bit...or is there anything else I might be able to do?

Thanx

SevenStar
07-05-2002, 10:17 AM
Pay close attention to your posture. make sure you sit upright, stand with your back straight and chest slightly out, etc. Also, see a chiropractor. some (like mine) also have an in house physical therapist, and they can give you plenty of exercises to help you.

Helicopter
07-05-2002, 10:52 AM
Bad habits die hard. Just try to walk more upright tuck your butt under, shoulders back etc. Look at yourself in shop windows and try and correct yourself, traditional MA help your posture esp internal arts (imagine you have a golden thread attached to the top of your skull gently pulling your spine straight.)
My posture is better from practicing having better posture (still could be better mind I still catch myself walking like monkey :)).

jpcm

PLCrane
07-05-2002, 12:06 PM
One of the most common errors is to let your head get too far in front of your shoulders. This happens especially when driving, eating, or sitting at the computer. Pull your head back while keeping your chin tucked. Or, imagine there's a cup hook screwed into the top of your head, and you're suspended by a string tied to it.

Brian_CA
07-05-2002, 04:39 PM
start taking yoga.

yu shan
07-05-2002, 10:28 PM
PLC has the right idea, but make sure your pelvic area is pushed forward, sink the breath.

Sleemie
07-06-2002, 03:34 PM
All the stuff about doing things to make sure my back is straight sounds good, and I was trying some of them...but, the area at the top of my spine where it meets that neck I can't hold it straight even when I try. That's why I was thinking maybe if I sit in the iron bridge (where you lay on your back and push your body into the shape of an arch, and at first your start with by holding yourself up with your hands and then when you get stronger you use your head). I thought that by bending everything in the opposite direction it might help straighten it out some over time.

PLCrane
07-06-2002, 07:20 PM
If you can't get into that posture when you're upright, then doing it against gravity won't make it work any better. You may need to stretch the soft tissues first. Lying back on one of those big rubber PT balls might help. There are yoga postures that would help. And there are kung fu postures that would help. (more horse stance, pull the shoulders and head back.) Get the alignment right first, before you go for a lot of strengthening.

Cyborg
07-07-2002, 01:42 PM
You probably want to stay away from pushups for awhile as this tightens the front and you want it more loose/flexible. A chiropractor may be able to help.

What do y'all mean by "pushing the pelvic area forward" and "tucking you butt under"? All the other advice makes sense and I agree with it, would like an explanation of those two statements.

PLCrane
07-07-2002, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Cyborg

What do y'all mean by "pushing the pelvic area forward" and "tucking you butt under"? All the other advice makes sense and I agree with it, would like an explanation of those two statements.

Those two terms mean the same thing - a posterior pelvic tilt. Here's a link to a diagram. Most people have a tendency to stand with their butt sticking out (anterior pelvic tilt), along with an increase in the lumbar and thoracic curves to keep from falling over. Tucking the butt in will naturally cause the spine to straighten up a bit.

http://www1.us.elsevierhealth.com/MERLIN/Neumann/EIC/images/chapter09/jpg/09367.jpg

Cyborg
07-07-2002, 06:38 PM
Thanks for the reply, that's what I thought you meant. My next question is: how far do you suggest taking that rotation? Until the hips are level front to back?

(I may not be able to check back for a while, thanks for any reply)

Robinf
07-09-2002, 06:43 PM
It's impossible to improve your posture over the internet. The advise giver needs to see how you move in order to see what needs to be corrected. It's not as simple as keeping your back and head straight on. You might have other postural imbalances that are only noticibly manifested in what you describe (in other words, there could be other things causing your problem).

First, and foremost, check it out with your doctor to see if maybe you have some sort of skeletal abnormality. Since you only have one body, and you have it for life, this is a good investment.

Once your doctor clears you, another good investment could be a personal trainer for a few weeks, or maybe a physical therapist. A GOOD personal trainer will be able to see what's going on and be able to help you fix it. But, only AFTER your doctor gives you the OK.

Robin

No_Know
07-10-2002, 12:38 AM
I think that your concept of iron bridge is good.

Sleep on your back. Put a pillow or two or one folded pillow or some bunched-up clothes under your back near the neck, be comfortable~. This should straighten you out as you sleep. Yet you would likely have to make a concious effort to move your neck back and your upper most back forward. It's not supposed to be automatic. Merely work. Keep the description I mentioned in your mind. Your body might automatically correct itself with your concious guidance.

Asingle pillow under your spine or something to make you slope, to lessen the shift in elevation.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-11-2002, 12:26 PM
"how far do you suggest taking that rotation? Until the hips are level front to back? "

your tail bone should always point toward the earth.

GunnedDownAtrocity
07-11-2002, 12:26 PM
double post

barryc108
07-11-2002, 10:08 PM
Its your lucky day...try this exercise.

Stand with your back against a wall, heels 6-12 inches away from the wall.

Push your butt, upper back and head against the wall.
Arms by sides, with palms facing the wall.

Raise your arms in an arch, keeping them straight until the backs of your hands touch the wall above you. upper arms next to your ears.

Now bend your elbows keeping the entire arm aginst the wall, slide your arms down the wall bringing your elbows down till your hands are level with your shoulders and in so that your elbows are against your lower ribs and your hands close to your shoulders.
(this is hard to explain i hope you are getting a clear picture)

Then straighten arms again so they are next to your head again, reapet 10-15 times.

As you improve bring your heels closer to the wall and you can try it with your palms facing out.
Good luck

Serpent
07-11-2002, 10:27 PM
Why would you do that exercise? What's it supposed to help?

I ask because the way you describe it would promote anterior pelvic tilt. Not good.

barryc108
07-11-2002, 11:29 PM
It helps to strengthen upper back, and strech the chest and shoulders.
Keeping the feet away from the wall initially prevents excessive anterior pelvic tilt.
Perhaps it was to ambicious trying to convey this exercise without pictures.

I can assure you from personal experiance that this exercise improved my posture. without doing any damage to my lower back or hips, it was infact given to me by a physio.

barryc108
07-11-2002, 11:33 PM
I guess think of it like a lat pull down, but with the features described above.

TaoBoy
07-14-2002, 10:29 PM
Your best bet is to see a professional. Either a chiropractor, osteopath, physiotherapist or even a TCM practitioner who has knowledge in this area should be able to help.

Also, pay attention to how you carry yourself. In combination, your own efforts and those of a physical therapist should set you right.

Good luck.

Serpent
07-14-2002, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by barryc108
I guess think of it like a lat pull down, but with the features described above.

Thanks, I think I understand what you mean here. I'll have a go and see how it feels! ;)

l@zylee
07-15-2002, 01:21 PM
Sleemie, I have the same problem its definetley genetic my mum and uncle are the same im 24 now and its finally starting to cause me real pain, luckily there is a guy at work who is a sports therapist, hes given me some exercises which are helping but i still fing myself dropping my shoulders all the time...............all i can do is carry on with the exercises