PDA

View Full Version : Lau Family Eight Immortals System

Troy Dunwood
07-15-2001, 08:02 PM
In 1994, I Troy Dunwood had the honor of meeting and becoming a direct student of Grandmaster Lau Yee Chan, the fifth generation direct family descendant of the Lau Family Style. I submit this in response to various correspondence from all over the world in regards to our system name. First let me state our style was formulated by Lau Chan Mee who was already skilled in the My- Jong or Lost Track System before meeting Master Yue Ho Lung, who passed onto him the esoteric teaching of the Mo Dong (Wu Tang) Eight Immortals System. It is from Lau Chan Mee that the two system were combined and later termed the Lau Family Style. Eight Immortals Style is comprised of the Lost Track Long Fist and the Wu Tang Drunken Style. The Eight Immortals Style is comprised of a balance of hard and soft, motion and stillness, flexibility and gracefulness. Eight Immortals Style follows the essence of life while building and balancing energy and spirit. Eight Immortals Style is deeply rooted in Taoism. When I recently did a performance in the San Francisco Bay Area to my surprise I was approached by many kung fu fans who were seeking knowledge of the Eight Immortals System, some had previously approached Grandmaster Lau but to no avail.Drunken boxing is a very complex and beautiful form of traditional kung fu. Unlike it's contemporary counterpart there are no acrobatic sequences and a great deal of training goes into balance and usage of force. It is truly a treasure of the Chinese people. In answer to a question in times past I stated that Taoism claimed the Eight Immortals and Buddhism claimed the Lohan or Buddha. Tell me does shaolin kung fu pay homage to Liu Dong Bin or Cheung Guo Lo two of the most reknown in Taoism or is it more likely that Shaolin have the 18 Lohan or Drunken Lohan? A little something to think about.

phoenix-eye
07-16-2001, 12:01 AM
Are you saying that your Lau Eight Immortals style is the original Lau Gar style from the 5 main families - Hung, Lau, Choy, Mok and Lee?

If so, there is another contender for this style in the form of Lau Gar as taught in the UK. This style has a different history to yours. Try www.bkfa.org.uk (http://www.bkfa.org.uk) for some background info.

No disrepect meant to you or your style but there is another Lau family system being taught so your post might confuse some folks.

Troy Dunwood
07-16-2001, 01:07 AM
I never made such a claim, only that my teachers family name happens to be Lau, do you know any Lau of the Five Family of South Style teaching the Eight Immortals system. The name Lau Family Style as I am told was given by the people of Shin Ning, Province. Lau Chan Mee, Lau Chi Cheng,
Lau Hung and Lau Yee Chan. Also note, this post is also to clarify the name so read it carefully.

namkuen
07-16-2001, 09:28 AM
Phoenix, The Lau family that Dunwood, sifu speaks of is quite different from the Lau Gar that's been incorporated into Hung Gar. The Lau Gar now in Hung Gar was founded by Lau Sam Ngan. Lau was a very common surname in various parts of southern and middle China. I hope this answers your question!

Peace!!!

DWR

One who conquers others is strong, but one who conquers himself is mighty! Lao Tzu

phoenix-eye
07-16-2001, 02:22 PM
My post was not intended to disparage the Lau 8 immortals style or to suggest that it shouldn't refer to the family in its title. I am only making the point that to say it is "the Lau family system" might be misleading as there is obviously more than one Lau system being taught today.

The Lau system being taught in UK lays claim to being from Lau Sang Noam - 3 eyed Lau. This is apparently part of the same system as absorbed into Hung Gar.

I am not questioning the validity / lineage of the 8 immortals style at all. Just making the point that there is more than one Lau Family system.

Troy Dunwood
07-16-2001, 08:02 PM
This post was directed to people who have inquired about the name Lau Family and how it is associated with the Eight Immortals Style, I think I make mention of this in the original post.
The beginning heading even states the Lau Family Eight Immortals Style, however, there are many styles named "Hung", but folks are also aware these may have the same namesake but there content is different from perhaps the most famous Hung School being that which is passed down from Wong Fei Hong. The Lau Family style is coined by thosed who knew of them and there methods of Chinese Martial arts. In short when people in the past saw performances of the Lau Family they knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that no other school was teaching Wu Tang Drunken Boxing coupled with the My Jong system, and in this case this unique form of kung fu was acknowledge and accepted as the Lau Family style of Shin Ning, County Kwontung Province. Maybe this now clarifies the name a little better.