PDA

View Full Version : Schools near UCSD?

nyabhrcad
07-05-2002, 02:41 PM
Hi! I'm moving to UC San Diego for school in the fall for college and I'm also interested in learning some self-defense. What schools of martial arts neard UCSD would you guys recommend? I'm looking for something that emphasizes technique over power and I dont want to damage myself in the process of learning martial arts (i.e. callous hands and stuff) Preferebly something like Judo, Brazilian JiuJitsu, Aikido, Wing Chun, XingYi, or TaiQi. But any place where I can learn to practically defend myself should do.

Ima Pseudonym
07-05-2002, 03:00 PM
it's the school i train at, and we have quite a few students from UCSD as well as the other local colleges. however, it is closest to UCSD so you won't have far to go to get to class. i believe there is even a student club at UCSD. anyways, check out www.tigerkungfu.com or call 858-695-1630 for more info.

Good luck in your search,
D

Jamesbond_007
07-05-2002, 04:52 PM
There is a Brazilian Jujutsu place in Del Mar, the City next to UCSD. The teacher is Fabio Santos. The white tiger school Ima talked about is about 2-3 miles from UCSD and is very close, plus they teach authentic Kung fu, another plus are they sell a lot of great MA supplies. I don't go to this school but my teacher knows the sifu of this school. Another school is The Temple of the Full Autumn Moon, it is located in Sorrento Valley and they teach Nijitusu. The instructor is really nice and very knowledgeable.

nyabhrcad
07-05-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks for all the input. The BJJ place looks real good. I did some research on my own too about schools near the UCSD area. Although it is kinda far, is Mike Patterson's (www.hsing-i.com) place any good; good enough to regularly commute to there?

bearpaw
07-06-2002, 12:34 AM
I also train at Rizzo's (when I'm working and have cash). Its on Miramar Rd by Denny's. There is a White Dragon on Mira Mesa Blvd. Never been there but I see them running when I leave work in the morning.

Jamesbond_007
07-09-2002, 01:04 PM
I have not heard about the Maike Pattersons school, I should check it out some time. There are a lot of good schools by UCSD area it all depends on what you want.
On a personal note (this is only my opinion and other will have a different opinion) I wouldn't go to the White Dragon School. They chare a lot of money and won't tell you the costs up front. They get you to pay for some practice lessons for really cheap, then tell you how great you are and then sigh you on a 6month to 1 year contract that equals about $120 per month of kung fu. They claim to teach Choy lay fut kung fu but from what many students and friends of mine that train there, it looks a lot like the kempo I used to study. But if you want to check it out.

BSH
07-10-2002, 08:56 AM
What are you looking for in your Martial Arts training. If you want a purely external art and are more interested in the Chin Na aspects of training, try the BJJ. If you want a complete system, which will meet all of your potential needs in the future and includes external training as well as herb lore, Qi Gung and other internal training, it is out there.

You have to look hard and find a way to make it work. When you are ready for the ultimate Kung Fu, you will find the place. "When the student is ready, the teacher will appear."

Best of luck in your search.