PDA

View Full Version : pi chuan to long?

doug maverick
07-06-2002, 08:46 AM
i've been studing xing yi for two years from a friend of my fathers(who was a student of wang ji wu) he has a fair amount of students but he really doesn't take any students unless you know somebody any way for the first year i did santi and he had me doing these type of stretches called the 16 nei gung excerises (theres a book out there about it by dan miller and tim cartmill very good) i hated it cause i wanted to learn how to fight but i endured out of respect to my father, then he taught me pi chuan and i've been doing that for a year 2 hours a day, i must admit i can drop anybody with the like nothing,but one fist for a whole year i think thats way to long, i asked my father is he could tell him to teach something else my father told me that his fgriend wants me to anilyze everey aspect of the pi chuan, i'm thinking of quiting should i? or should i keep training?
"it's not what you know, it's what you can prove"

doug maverick
07-06-2002, 08:59 AM
excuse the spelling errors,

gazza99
07-06-2002, 09:05 AM
Well, unfortunately Im not patient enough to do that, but yes it can take a year to get Pi-Chuan down well, you must understand that there are alot of mechanics involved, and they will all translate to the other fists! So even though you may only know* Pi chuan now, the rest will come much easier.
Just politely express your boredom, and show him how well you are doing with it. You can always find another teacher/tape/book/diagram/mpg. to at least show you the framwork of the others.

good luck!
Gary

Justa Man
07-06-2002, 12:20 PM
Go to Mike Patterson's website and look at the video mpeg of how he breaks down pi chuan. www.hsing-i.com - If you can use pi chuan THIS well then I think you have a good case for arguement with your teacher.

If not then keep eating bitter. :)

jon
07-06-2002, 11:00 PM
doug maverick
You have a teacher who respects his art enough not to water it down and your also being taught in the traditional mannor to actualy COMPLEATE your training. You will also be able to use it like an expert, maybe you dont realise exactly how rare this really is?
I have to say...
Your very lucky.
Sure it will be a pain and take a LONG time but think of the end result.
It sounds to me like you have access to good hands and an excerlent teacher. I would milk it for all its worth it was me.

brassmonkey
07-07-2002, 03:24 AM
at your rate your gonna get through the five elements in another 8 years, ditto what everyone else said about learning to move in 1 element and moving like that in the rest however perhaps you could ask your teacher what progression he foresee's for you or the next step, perhaps that'll help motivate you to stick around longer. Hope he knows more then 1 element.

Crimson Phoenix
07-07-2002, 05:47 AM
Definitely don't quit!!
This is how Chu Gui Ting would teach. Can't go wrong with that :-)

Felipe Bido
07-07-2002, 07:20 AM
My teacher spent 3 years in Pi Quan. Of course, from that moment on, everything else was taught faster. Maybe the same thing is happening to you.

As said above, ask him politely about the situation

Mark M
07-07-2002, 07:56 AM
I personally would not question my teacher. He obviously is teaching you in depth, and is probably testing your character at the same time. Endure and learn,you will be thankful later.

Kevin Wallbridge
07-07-2002, 10:43 AM
Its great to hear of someone actually training this way. I have to take my hat off to you for doing it for a year. Patience is a weapon. I agree that you would be well served to follow your teachers advice.