PDA

View Full Version : what is in western and central china?

jun_erh
07-07-2002, 08:49 AM
in gradeschool i learned that 90 percent or so of china's population is on the east coast. It seems like most of the martial art stuff is too. so what is in the rest? anyone know? I mean way over towards afghanistan too

Unstoppable
07-13-2002, 08:24 PM
Endless mystery.

jun_erh
07-14-2002, 06:00 PM
this is not helping

diego
07-16-2002, 03:42 AM
is that 90% as in chinese are in the east?. I read thier is many muslim styles from western china, and i think tibetan and mongol even india may have influence on the western regions kungfu!.:)

northstar
07-16-2002, 02:26 PM
In the west there are deserts, Tibet, and several minority peoples, most of them different Turkic peoples. The muslim kung fu styles are mostly originated from the Huihui, living in the north of China (Hebei eg), but they are indistinguishable from the Han Chinese I believe.

GeneChing
07-17-2002, 09:13 AM
Emei (a.k.a.) O-Mei Mountain is in the West, in Sichuan. It is the third martial mountain after Songshan (shaolin) and Wudangshan. Lately, I've been studying a little O-mei style and I find it fascinating. When the Cultural Revolution hit, many traditional styles headed to the coast, Taiwan, Hong Kong, then jumped ship and came to the America & Europe. But many also went to the Western China and hid up in the mountains. There's some really interesting traditional stuff coming donw off that mountain now, not just it's indigenous styles, but remnants of the Republic. Lately, my personal research has been taking my this direction, just because it's so juicy.

If you're seriously interested, you should take a look at our O-mei special issue - http://store.yahoo.com/martialartsmart/kf-200009.html