PDA

View Full Version : Real ticked off

HopGar
07-08-2002, 08:38 PM
I can't believe this! This has got to be one of the worst months ever! Not only can I not continue kung fu due to $, which by itself is absolutely painful and has made me miserable, but now my school might close b/c ppl are not showing up to class and no fees are being paid.

ARGH!!!!!!!!

One thing is for sure, I'm in a catch 22 b/c while I love Hop Gar, I need my money for my year in Israel which is coming up real quick. If the school closes, I dunno what I'm going to do with myself.

:mad: :mad: :( :confused: :confused: :mad: :mad:

TjD
07-08-2002, 08:44 PM
beg your sifu for lessons if it closes:)

HopGar
07-08-2002, 08:47 PM
He might move to NC, which will make things even worse man. I dunno what to do now!!!!!!!!

SevenStar
07-08-2002, 09:40 PM
1. Continue to train on your own

2. ask your sifu if you can tape him doing forms and drills, and also showing the applications, that way you have something you can learn from while you are on your own.

3. Get a group of fellow students together that you can train with in the event that the school closes.

4. find a school you like that teaches something similar to what you are training in now.

5. If your sifu doesn't move, see if he will still train you.

6. Even if he does move, refer to #2 and then try to arrange a weekend or so every few months that you can travel to train with him.

7. If you can't pay for classes, offer him some service, like some type of work in exchange for training.

HopGar
07-08-2002, 09:50 PM
"1. Continue to train on your own "

I do this already

"2. ask your sifu if you can tape him doing forms and drills, and also showing the applications, that way you have something you can learn from while you are on your own. "

I know the basics and the applications, I need the weapons and he rarely does weapons so that one is out.

"3. Get a group of fellow students together that you can train with in the event that the school closes. "

I could pull this one off, but will be difficult.

"4. find a school you like that teaches something similar to what you are training in now. "

There is no Lama Pai school other than Hop Gar down here, I'd need to go to NYC for that.

"5. If your sifu doesn't move, see if he will still train you. "

The school would then continue and I would have to pay

"6. Even if he does move, refer to #2 and then try to arrange a weekend or so every few months that you can travel to train with him. "

Hmm.....could do that one.

"7. If you can't pay for classes, offer him some service, like some type of work in exchange for training."

I never thought of that, thanks for the suggestions.

IronFist
07-08-2002, 09:52 PM
Good ideas, SevenStar.

IronFist

BrentCarey
07-08-2002, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by SevenStar
1. Continue to train on your own

All excellent suggestions SevenStar. In particular Hop Gar, don't underestimate the value of training on your own. If you already have the basics, you have enough to keep you busy for several years. If you become very good at the basics you will be better than practitioners with more knowledge and less practice.

I once took fencing instruction from a fencing master. He tought about 10 very simple and basic techniques for about 7 weeks then said, "Now go home and practice and I'll see you next year."

Peace,

Brent Carey

SevenStar
07-08-2002, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by BrentCarey

I once took fencing instruction from a fencing master. He tought about 10 very simple and basic techniques for about 7 weeks then said, "Now go home and practice and I'll see you next year."

That's awesome. My good friend and I are like that. He lives in Japan, but every two years or so he comes back to visit. He was training me before he left. Now, when he comes, we just train. It's great seeing how we have changed over time and how our training has come along. Next year, I'm going to try to go to Japan instead of him coming here.

HopGar
07-08-2002, 10:31 PM
Brent thats what I intend to do. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm just real frustrated right now with this. But I'll have plenty of time in Israel to do Kung Fu when I'm not sudying.

SevenStar
07-08-2002, 10:41 PM
I asked this before, but don't remember seeing a reply - what are you studying there?

HopGar
07-08-2002, 10:44 PM
Talmudic Law/ Bible - just a year of religious study before college; I'm not planning on being a rabbi or anything.

BrentCarey
07-09-2002, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by HopGar
I'll have plenty of time in Israel to do Kung Fu when I'm not sudying.

Enjoy Israel. I don't know if you've ever been there before, but you should enjoy the experience. I was there last summer right as the cease fire was falling apart. I was within 2 weeks of being at the wrong place at the wrong time 3 times.

For all of that, I still felt safer walking around Haifa alone at night than I do here in Spokane, WA believe it or not.

Spent most of my time north of Tel Aviv. Haifa mostly. Spent a little time up around Nazareth, Sea of Galilea, and Golan Heights.

I don't really know how available Chinese martial arts are there. I doubt there is much of it. I did eat dinner at a kosher chinese restaurant though. It was completely flavorless.

-Brent Carey

Spirit Writer
07-09-2002, 06:20 AM
Instead of fighting and losing sleep over soemthing you have no direct control over -- your sifu leaving or not -- and insteda of dwelling on the negative, work with what you have and be open for the opportunity to present itself. If you're busy looking back in disgust you may walk right by it.

HopGar
07-09-2002, 09:04 AM
"Enjoy Israel. I don't know if you've ever been there before, but you should enjoy the experience. I was there last summer right as the cease fire was falling apart. I was within 2 weeks of being at the wrong place at the wrong time 3 times. "

I was there last summer as well for 6 weeks, the last of which was when the Sbarros in Jeusalem was bombed.

"For all of that, I still felt safer walking around Haifa alone at night than I do here in Spokane, WA believe it or not. "

Is that because there are soldiers everywhere? I had the same feeling mind you

"Spent most of my time north of Tel Aviv. Haifa mostly. Spent a little time up around Nazareth, Sea of Galilea, and Golan Heights. "

I spent most of my time on a settlement right outside of Jerusalem. I also spend a little while in the desert, and in the Golan and of course in Jerusalem itself.

"I don't really know how available Chinese martial arts are there. I doubt there is much of it. I did eat dinner at a kosher chinese restaurant though. It was completely flavorless. "

There's a southern preying mantis school there. The language still is a problem, although my hebrew is pretty good. The reason why the food is tasteless is because israelis usually end up messing things up, even whe they mean well. But thats another story.

BrentCarey
07-09-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by HopGar
I wrote:
"For all of that, I still felt safer walking around Haifa alone at night than I do here in Spokane, WA believe it or not. "
You wrote:
Is that because there are soldiers everywhere? I had the same feeling mind you

Not really. I had this conversation with some of my Israeli friends. I think because they get their fill of real violence on a daily basis they have less of an appetite for random acts of violence.

In the U.S. (for example), most people learn about violence from the TV, movies, video games. So, on some level I suppose many people associate violence with entertainment.

In Israel (keeping in mind I spent most of my time in Haifa), I just didn't feel like there was much chance of being attacked on the street. Now, going into a shopping mall - that's another story.

I respect the average citizen of Israel for how they deal with violence. They recognize that it is there, but then get on with their lives.

I was there last summer as well for 6 weeks, the last of which was when the Sbarros in Jeusalem was bombed.

That's about the same time I was there. At least the weather is nice and cool that time of year.;) I heard about the Sbarros right after I returned. I had to do a double take because I had eaten lunch at a Sbarros in Israel just a few days earlier. This one was up north though.

I was watching the coverage of the recent series of suicide bombings. I believe it was about the third bombing or so that was the first in the series to occur in Haifa. It was eerie that I recognized the spot - walked by there several times.

Peace,

Brent Carey

HopGar
07-09-2002, 01:17 PM
"Not really. I had this conversation with some of my Israeli friends. I think because they get their fill of real violence on a daily basis they have less of an appetite for random acts of violence. In the U.S. (for example), most people learn about violence from the TV, movies, video games. So, on some level I suppose many people associate violence with entertainment. In Israel (keeping in mind I spent most of my time in Haifa), I just didn't feel like there was much chance of being attacked on the street. Now, going into a shopping mall - that's another story.
I respect the average citizen of Israel for how they deal with violence. They recognize that it is there, but then get on with their lives. That's about the same time I was there. At least the weather is nice and cool that time of year. I heard about the Sbarros right after I returned. I had to do a double take because I had eaten lunch at a Sbarros in Israel just a few days earlier. This one was up north though. I was watching the coverage of the recent series of suicide bombings. I believe it was about the third bombing or so that was the first in the series to occur in Haifa. It was eerie that I recognized the spot - walked by there several times. "

I totally agree. There had been an attack in Efrat a few months ago and I said, hey I was there 8 months ago.....kinda makes it hit closer to home.

diego
07-09-2002, 02:42 PM
Hey Khong when are you leaving, did you say after summer?.
Definatly if you cant get to school use some of sevenstars advice; plus if i was you..since TLR is so rare and im under the assumption seed punches are seed punches, im sure every school has something to offer with thier five animals and weapon sets etc!. So if i couldnt get back to school right away, i would make sure all my skills are correct, and i would chisel them until i could find more tlr instruction; also in isreal or wherever i would see if thier is any tkd or boxing schools/clubs i could spar with, uno that type of thing!.

Main point how seperated but wide out thier TLRS seeds are, thier will always be some kind of variation to pick,...I'm assuming!?/Between the lama, bakhok and the hop; who knows about the myjhong and whatnot:cool:

Seriously stay safe inyour ancestors motherland!.
PEACE

hm and im at the library so if thiers any typos...i didnt edit:p

HopGar
07-09-2002, 07:33 PM
Diego, thats exactly what I plan to do.

Skummer
07-10-2002, 08:56 AM
Greetings Hop Gar,

If your sifu does leave, there are umpteen gazillion alternative options in the Atlanta area.
See
Kung fu in Atlanta (http://www.atlantamartialarts.com/country/china.htm)

- Skummer

HopGar
07-10-2002, 01:06 PM
Skummer
I know that, the issue is more of where than anything else. Doing research on kung fu schools is a pain in the arse, I did this 2 years ago. Looks like I might have to again after Israel, if I don't decide to just move there first. At that point I'd just stick with IDF's Krav Maga and mix it with my Hop Gar.

diego
07-10-2002, 01:35 PM
Hop sounds good, plus hopgars seed fists give you big usable kungfu muscles, so its definatly a good base to blend with other styles, imo and thats how kaidos style is built; with hopgar ape frame as the base! :cool: When you leaving we should chat abit on emial before you leave, you still at the same address?.

HopGar
07-10-2002, 01:59 PM
yeah we should, email is the same.

TaoBoy
07-11-2002, 10:27 PM
HopGar,

Would you consider training in another fighting art while in Israel?
It would be a good opportunity to compliment your current knowledge.

Just a thought.

Hope it all works out for you.