PDA

View Full Version : WHF books , translating?

Skarbromantis
07-09-2002, 08:37 AM
So I got my hands on some of the books 12 in total still looking for more, so if you have any to sell/ trade, let me know, anyways.....

Has anyone translated these books? How would I go about trying to translate them ? Is their any good internet sites or resources that could help, if anyone has some info that would help I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

Daniel

mantis108
07-09-2002, 09:59 AM
I am not sure if you visit my TJPM forum. If you are interested in some (and a continuing effort) of the translation work on the 18 Lohan book by WHF, please visit there. Tainan Mantis and I have been posting some of our work on the book there. That's the only book I have of WHF (courtesy of Tainan Mantis). It would be interesting to work on his other book but I don't have access to them so... May be one day. :) BTW, Tainan Mantis would be the ideal person to work with in this area.

Regards

Mantis108

Skarbromantis
07-09-2002, 10:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, what is the URL for your site?

Skard1

mantis108
07-09-2002, 11:10 AM
Sorry, I thought I have it in my profile. Here it is:

TJPM Forum (http://forums.delphiforums.com/Taijimantis/start)

Regards

Mantis108

Skarbromantis
07-09-2002, 01:28 PM
That’s a great site you have there!!

Lots of good information, I’ll be spending a couple hours going through the material.

Do you know if the books have been translated, I can't find much info on them or on WHF online, do you know of any sites that speak about /list the WHF books, or have any info on them?

Or any sites that document WHF's life?, Its becoming very hard to locate any material on this late Master.

Thanks again

Skard1

mantis108
07-09-2002, 02:08 PM
Thanks for the support. Our goal is to make available material and information that are otherwise obscure in order to promote PM Kung Fu and benefit the community as a whole. It is true that profiles of many masters like WHF are not ready available especially on the net. It is a continuing effort to make them available. Hopefully with more adepts in the PM community signing on, we will eventually have bigger and better resource for PM studies. At the moment, Mantis cave has quite a lot of info and profile of PM masters.

Mantis Cave (http://www.geocities.com/mantiscave/frame.htm)

I think there is a nice biography of WHF in the Mantis Cave.

Other than that, I believe Tainan Mantis can give you more help in that area. :)

Please enjoy the TJPM forum, happy postings and pleasant visits there. Thank you. :)

Regards

Mantis108

PS don't forget to introduce yourself. So that I can welcome you and members there can get to know you too. :)

Skarbromantis
07-09-2002, 02:53 PM
The Mantis Cave’s link to WHF is broken I sent a message asking to fix it a couple months ago, ill send again.

I think this will be my inspiration for a WHF website......time to fire up the FrontPage.

Keep up all the good work, I will make sure to introduce myself, see you on the forum.

Skard1

Young Mantis
07-11-2002, 09:30 AM
Skarbromantis,

To my knowledge, there is no published translation of the WHF books either in print or online. One of his students, Yuen Man Kai in HK, did however publish several books of his own in which he uses both Chinese and English.

As for the WHF books themselves, there have been several printings and many more that are no longer in print. The most commonly found books are a set of 16 printed by the Yih Mei Book Co.:

1. Sei Lo Bun Da (Four Directional Chase and Attack)
2. Daw Ghong, Sup Baht Sao (Avoiding Rigidity, 18 Ancestors)
3. Tsahp Tchoy (Stabbing Fist)
4. Law Hawn Gung (Internal Set)
5. Bahk Yuen Tchut Dhong (White Ape Exits the Cave)
6. Bahk Yuen Tao Tow (White Ape Steals the Peach)
7. Mui Fah Kuen (Plum Flower Fist)
8. Mui Fah Lawk (Descending Plum Flower)
9. Mui Fah Sao (Plum Flower Hand)
10. Yut Lo Zhaat Yew (1st Essential)
11. Yee Lo Zhaat Yew (2nd Essential)
12. Sahm Lo Zhaat Yew (3rd Essential)
13. Juey Law Hawn (Drunken Monk)
14. Bung Bo (Crushing Steps)
15. Ling Bung Bo (Crushing Steps 2-man Set)
16. Fei Ngahn Jeung (Flying Geese Palm)

These books are still available in major metropolitan Chinatown bookstores. These have themselves gone through several printings as well, some in HK and some in Taiwan.

There were other books published by WHF on some of the weapons sets such as:
Dzee Ng Gim (Meridian Double-edged Sword)
Yin Tsing Dahn Do (Yin Tsing's Single Saber)
Luk Hup Seung Do (Six Harmonies Double Saber)
Gwun Jung Dai Do (Soldier's 2-handed Saber)
Fu Mei Sahm Jeet Gwan (Tiger Tail 3-Sectional Staff)
These are much more rare and harder to find as they have been out of print for some time.

WHF also published several books on Mantis fighting theories, principals, and concepts. There was one book on Chinese medicine and bone-setting. These are hardest to find as not many of them were printed.

Hope this helps your search.

YM

Skarbromantis
07-11-2002, 09:56 AM
Thanks for all the info, thats the same set i have, im only missing books, #3, #6, #14, #15, do you know where i can get them?

Do you have any other info on WHF?

Thanks again

Skard1

Young Mantis
07-11-2002, 10:13 AM
You can try checking Mantis Cave for the bio. I just checked and the link is working. He is listed by the Mandarin pronunciation of his name, Huang Han Xun.